Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Sleep Dirt's Verts [REL] Ford Zodiac: Putrid Horn

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Sleep Dirt
hit n run

Sleep Dirt's Verts [REL] Ford Zodiac: Putrid Horn

Post by Sleep Dirt »

Wow :supercrazy: this took a hell of a lot longer than I thought it would, but here's the Cortina v2! Many times I wanted to sacrifice my comp for being a proper dweeb, but thankfully resisted and finished up, I have some other things to finish so I hope my comp continues to behave!

Now I have time back I'm hoping to finish my other projects too and whop them on here!

Approximately 5000ish new verts, lots of revampularisations of the old and handful of new parts to bend, the interior, drive gear and frontend got the most attention, also with a new goofy driving person.

The OBJ file is included also so feel free to pillage this model for textures and components if you wish.

Here she is:
Ford Cortinav2 http://snk.to/f-c7xm0n9t

I hope everyone has a rad Christmas!! I have a funny feeling 2014 is going to be a very good year!! :beer:
Last edited by Sleep Dirt on Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Ocean Is the Ultimate Solution.
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Re: Sleep Dirt's Verts

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Honisty time,
Im gona say it, at first this car looked a little dull to me, but Now that I see these pics. it just looks a whole lot better, the work you put into the inner bits, such as engine bay and all, really make this very nice, and by the look of that screenshot wreck very nice.. Ive only jsut started making cars based on how they will crumble.. and lets face it thats one of the most important parts.. how it looks ingame and works. I guess thats why high poly conversions never work.. they were not built for carma.

So ya in short.. Nice work Keep goin!, we still need life here in C2.

I need to stop being so lazy when it comes to a cars inards...
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Yeah really nice work. Nice crumple damage on the bonnet.

I reskinned mine red for christmas
Sleep Dirt
hit n run

Post by Sleep Dirt »

Thanks Maxi honesty is one of the good things, haha yeah its sure not the most exciting choice to model, but one I'm familiar with and easy to get some XP and level up skills ready for the Reincarnation :saston: Yep damage is what dose it for me, as I progressively learn the anatomy of vehicles I shall be cluttering the innards even more, giving plenty to bend n twist!

Nice one Coffee! Thinking I should have done her in red now, instead of that dry ashtray gray.
Sleep Dirt
hit n run

Post by Sleep Dirt »

Here's a little sneak at my next creation, a bit more work to be done on the model, change some place hold texis and do some paper work, so hopefully finished soonish, it's at about 10,100K at the mo, I'm trying to slim it down a little tho.

coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

That looks pretty cool. Make sure you include something from the undercarriage in the Master Group so your shadow goes all the way from end to end.
Sleep Dirt
hit n run

Post by Sleep Dirt »

Rad thanks Coffey, nice one I will do :thumbsup:
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Ah yeah. All those round tubes'll really rack up the polycount. :supercrazy:
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Deep_Blue wrote:Ah yeah. All those round tubes'll really rack up the polycount. :supercrazy:
Yeah, I'd like to see a wireframe. 10k already does seem like you're getting a little fast and loose
with the polygons, Sleep. You still gotta stick a body on the driver. :)
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

You could duplicate that cage effect easily enough with lower polycount by taking screenies of that cage you have built and pasting the pics on alpha channeled flat surfaces (or simple square ones.) Same look-lighter model.
Sleep Dirt
hit n run

Post by Sleep Dirt »

Haha your right Coffey, I was going nuts at first, and before I knew it I was at 7K with only half the car done, at the mo its sat at 10.5K with some work to do on the wheels and a little armor on the front, I've made a tube cage around the engine that's the main polly culprit, I was kind of making it up as I went along and went way over the top.

Cool that sounds like a rad technique D_B I'll give it a go later, I did replaced most of the tube for box on the rear cage and will try change some of the engine bit too. I'm probs going to do a high and low polly one, as there is a couple of non essential things I can remove to make a saving or two.

Hers a wireframe, I might be a bit obsessed with placing stuff for damage.

Rad.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

10.5k isn't awful, you just don't want to add a whole lot more.

Yeah, a lot of the polys are in the cage. I don't know what the cross section of the tube is but hexagonal or octagonal is probably sufficient.

I know you're adding points for damage but, for example, the straight, top section of cage is broken into 4:
X____x____x____x____X
X____x____x____x____X

I'd just do 2:
X_________x_________X
X_________x_________X

That'd eliminate a lot. Same for rear tubes.
But whatever, you already have it built, I'm just saying for the future. :rockon:
Sleep Dirt
hit n run

Post by Sleep Dirt »

I'm doing a couple of revisions with the advice you gave, I was looking around the wireframe and noticed a huge number of wasted pollys and thought I should have a clean up. Mainly in the cage area, as it doesn't get hit often I'm thinking so some of those pollys are a waste, n I'd like to try something rad with the wheels If I can save enough polls.

I was also wondering if you would host my cars on your site please Coffey?
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Sleep Dirt wrote:I was also wondering if you would host my cars on your site please Coffey?
Absolutely
Sleep Dirt
hit n run

Post by Sleep Dirt »

Thanks man!

I gots some more done, think the model's finished now with only a couple of texies to fill n some BBox to build, thought I'd post some pics.

This map makes me want to build a Cyberpunk car!

Nearly ready.
Last edited by Sleep Dirt on Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Cyberpunk car!, yeah ok thats an intresting idea, could be cool heh.

Btw I find the new rims a little bling-ish? heh
Sleep Dirt
hit n run

Post by Sleep Dirt »

It could be cool, cyber cars usually look a bit abstract, so I'll have to be careful if I do.

I was trying to make the wheels look a little race like, they started as discs with damage and crud everywhere, now you've mentioned it tho I'll load them back on n see what fits the concept better.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Maybe a rust texture on rims? That gray looks more like concrete than metal to me. :eek:

Looking forward to the finished product.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Hey nice work there!

I see you already spend attention to the texturing, as you have added darkness on the connection points of the cage. Still that grey, as coffey also mentioned, looks more like concrete. I think if you make more highlights (lighter on top, darker at bottom) the thing will look more like metal. Also, if you make the tire thread texture a little stronger the wheels come out better. I think in general, texture wise, there is more to gain here.

Model looks great. Not much to add there. Is this your second car? Then it seems very promising! :thumbsup:

Are you going to add some more things, like stuff in the trunk? Side mirrors or other small details?
Sleep Dirt
hit n run

Post by Sleep Dirt »

Cripes, they do look like concrete! I think rusty old discs is the way forwards :thumbsup:

Thanks Harmalarm
I've been having a bit of trouble getting the steel to look right, especially where I'm using CarEd to texture with, (must learn some better tools) I'll give the highlighting a go so it looks more reflective, I'll get those treads stronger too

Thanks man, It's sort of my 2nd car, but I think its really my 3.5th
Now you gots me thinking about details, CarEd's starting to be a little bugger with this car, but some spotlights and oil cans would sure bring it to life :thumbsup:
Sleep Dirt
hit n run

Post by Sleep Dirt »

Hey hey, I had a minor patch of busyness and got a little distracted with another car, but she's getting there!! And crumpling quite nice so I thought I'd post a shot from some damage setup testing, minus the circle things (they have to go in last or CarEd gets proper trippy :supercrazy: ) I reworked a bunch of textures n parts I wasn't to happy with, and started to tart up the cage with various stuffs. Still some tings to do but I'm hopping to be finished by next week. I have a horrible name for her too, she's called Vomit Slit.

Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Deforms really nicely there :sbsmile:
It seems the rust could still have a bit more contrast/shading?
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Sleep Dirt
hit n run

Post by Sleep Dirt »

Thanks Tosh, I did a little more shading on the rust, it defiantly helped.

I need a little help tho :sad: this thing is 99.9% finished, but whilst taking the shots below I ran into a problem, I set detachment to ultra low to get a damage shot with all parts detached, then stomped out into loads of mines, after about half of the detachables (30ish) fell off, the remaining half of the parts wont detach, and if I try to repair or recover, Carma crashes! It's always with about half the parts detached.

I've tried changing the BBox, reallocating the master component, and the thing bends ok and it doesn't look like any particular component.
What I'm thinking the problem is that there's 365 individual parts to the car, and I bet the max is 300 or something, or maybe having to many detachables allocated to one component? If someone could help before I start searching for a bad detachable or stripping parts out of the car it would be greatly appreciated, as at the mo I only have about 3 minuets a day to work on this vert bunch.

So any suggestions? has anybody else had this problem? I was just about to roll a mega doob in celebration that it would be finished today :mad: Then this crash came along, I'm praying for an easy solution :thumbsup:

If I could send the file to someone to check out what's going down, that would be amazing!

Thank you :smile:

Sleep Dirt
hit n run

Post by Sleep Dirt »

You dudes ever hear that saying one step forwards, fifty steps back? Haha well I'm in the central cluster of that one with my comp at the mo, I believe some dark ritual has taken place to desolate my machine!!!! Bastards :mad:

Anyways, this thing will see the light :rockon: I'm nearly back to where I once was!! It's like finally getting to Diablo on Hell difficulty, then the save file corrupts.

Bloody goblins and daemons, What would the place be like without them??
Sleep Dirt
hit n run

Post by Sleep Dirt »

Vomit Slit is released!! Being forgetful, lazy and hyper busy ment this car sat on my HD for bloody ages. Anyways it's not quite how I envisioned it, but its close enough, I have learnt a very valuable lesson about planning what to do, and possible limitations of tools.

I'm happy with how it ended up, and hope you enjoy mangling the thing, .OBJ file is in there, feel free to rape and pillage this thing for components n textures if you wish.

Here it is, please enjoy :smile:
http://www.filedropper.com/vomitslit_1 (Fixed)
Last edited by Sleep Dirt on Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
timmy76
motorised death

Post by timmy76 »

Great work Sleep Dirt this car is great fun to use.
Is the front end based off a Mk2 Ford Mondeo?
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

This thing looks like a right beast, going to trash the shit out of this one, great work!! :beer:
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Sleep Dirt
hit n run

Post by Sleep Dirt »

Thanks guys :smile: very happy you like the rusty old beast :beer:

Well spotted Timmy, it started life as an ST-24 but I got board late in the build and the thing took a minor detour, the Mondeo is still under construction tho, there will be a banger version (probably Predator team) and if I get time a production version too. Haha with my work rate it might be finished by Christmas time :tongue:

Thanks again :thumbsup:
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Thats a nice rounded model there, I still cant make rounded cars, for some reson I feel the getaway here, It kinda reminds me of the style of the models too.. hm
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

PLEASE release that Mondeo! I want to drive a stock version around!
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Nice release, it took some time but it finaly arrived :ssmile:
Mondeo looks good too!

BTW when you zip up your stuff, try to have the data folder at the root (no need for a 'vomit slit' folder), this way we can unpack directly into the C2 root. Also it's INTRFACE and no INTERFACE :swink:
Attachments
Sans titre-1.jpg
Sans titre-1.jpg (71.76 KiB) Viewed 17113 times
Sleep Dirt
hit n run

Post by Sleep Dirt »

Thats a nice rounded model there, I still cant make rounded cars, for some reson I feel the getaway here, It kinda reminds me of the style of the models too.. hm
Thanks Maxi, I see what you man about the Getaway, I'd forgot that game, might have to give it a blast soon I remember the damage being fairly rad :smile:
PLEASE release that Mondeo! I want to drive a stock version around!
I defiantly will Razor :smile: I have a week off work soon and plan to put a god heap of hours into this thing
Nice release, it took some time but it finaly arrived :ssmile:
Mondeo looks good too!

BTW when you zip up your stuff, try to have the data folder at the root (no need for a 'vomit slit' folder), this way we can unpack directly into the C2 root. Also it's INTRFACE and no INTERFACE
Thanks Tosh man :smile: Wow nearly 8 months to finish the thing!!
Haha woops Ok cool will do, I've changed and repacked the thing (with correct spelling too :wink: )
Sleep Dirt
hit n run

Post by Sleep Dirt »

Yo peeps, Here's a little sneak at something nearing completion.

It's the first car I started to reverse engineer when I thought about getting into building my own machine, Freddy's Ford Zodiac from SoD was a big square of a car I really liked, but didn't damage well, so I thought I'd start rebuilding components to learn what polly layout gave good damage. I eventually got to the stage where I had rebuilt every component and thought I might as well texture it, and release it as my own thing, there will be this Appok version and a banger version too.

Good progress has been made on the Mondeo too, mainly all the boring paper parts and internals, so a pic isn't warranted quite yet. Ha and after now looking at the powers of good modelling tools I could probably have finished all these cars about six months ago. I liken CarED to the beauty of Auschwitz :smile:
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Ah, good ol' CarEd. Bang out a decent car in under an hour. I still use it. :grin:

Coming along noicely.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Hey there! Looking very good :sbsmile:
And yes, there's definitely some special vibe about using CarEd.

Check who’s online