Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

STShotgun's C:MD Overhaul v1.1 [17/01/2024]

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
STShotgun
turbo bastard

STShotgun's C:MD Overhaul v1.1 [17/01/2024]

Post by STShotgun »

So this is a mod I've been working on for quite a while now. I've been aiming to fix some of the severe problems with the gameplay and make the game more fun for myself. I've always felt that C:R/MD lacks a lot of 'oomph', so I hope you can enjoy the game a lot more with this mod. Since so many changes have been made, you could think of this as a full new update!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heads up:
  • Though it's not required, this mod is meant to be run with the beta patch! It allows you to play career mode with mods.
  • If you're using '80s Time Warp's Megapack, grab the compatibility patch zip for it in the Overhaul-Megapack Patch section below!
  • Though I've tried to keep compatibility with other languages, it's worth having the game set to English via the properties menu in Steam.

What the Overhaul contains:

In short, it contains:
  • Upgraded cars that feel faster, hit harder, and handle better. The mod's main focus is improving the car-on-car combat so ramming is a viable option like in the old Carmas.
  • More content such as powerups, expanded car customisation, game modes, ped variation, and level settings. Tonnes of cut content has been restored too.
  • Enhanced AI that can wobble recover and use weapons more among other changes to make them feel like proper opposition in the competitive modes. Classic Carma's AI is the same as vanilla except you only get 1 car chasing you instead of 2.
  • All kinds of things have been tweaked along with many fixed oversights, hopefully making C:MD feel more polished.

Here's an abridged list of the main changes:
► Show Spoiler

The long list of changes and additions:
► Show Spoiler

Screenshots:
► Show Spoiler

Overhaul Mod v1.1 Download

Installation:
  • Put every .zad inside the zip file into the ZAD folder
...and that's it!

To install an addon, just drop that into the ZAD folder too.

IMPORTANT: If you're using the GOG or the unpatched Steam version then you must rename scripts.zad to something else (e.g. _scripts.zad), otherwise the Overhaul and any other script mods will not work.

Overhaul-Megapack Patch:

Allows '80s Time Warp's Megapack to work properly with the Overhaul. Open the .zip and drop both zads into the ZAD folder as usual.

Please note: The Megapack and Overhaul are not balanced for each other - the Overhaul's rebalancing applies to the official cars only. Generally the Megapack's cars are stronger than the official cars.

Changes:
► Show Spoiler

Download
[Updated 17/01/2024]

Addons:

Addon list:
► Show Spoiler

A note for making addons:
► Show Spoiler

Uncompiled Scripts:
The lua scripts in the mod were compiled for better performance, so if you'd like the raw Overhaul scripts to use for your own mods then here they are: Download

CarMODgeddon sandbox mode:

If you're not bothered about the career and just want to play Freeplay, then this is the way to go. The main advantage of this is that it unlocks everything from the start. The main con of this method is that the career is pointless due to everything being unlocked, but this won't matter if you don't want to play career anyway.

To enable the beta patch's sandbox mode, you'll need to do this:
  • Create a folder called ZIP_MODS in C:MD's root folder
  • Open C:MD's launch options on Steam then add: -mod=carmodgeddon_enable
  • Launch the game normally - the CarMODgeddon option in Steam does nothing in the beta patch

Credits:
- Stainless Games for creating this amazing and insanely flexible game in the first place!
- Sa1cor for originally starting the car balancing and handling tweaks with me
- Trent for his invaluable help, tools, C:R UI tweaks, driver selection, the C:R City A night mod, the method for respawning with Invulnerability, a way to spawn PUp objects anywhere (used for Death From Above and Concrete Cow), fixing up and improving the >5 opponent feature with better vehicle/skin randomisation, and the name for the 'Scattershot' PUp
- ManIkWeet for his tools that allowed me to edit the game's text, merge C:R+MD's PUp placement, and compile the lua scripts
- '80s Time Warp for her wheel customisation mod, custom engine sounds, and for putting the Concrete Cow model in-game. A big massive thanks to her for helping to troubleshoot problems and making new engine builds for the Overhaul.
- Errol for his tools and contributions towards modding
- dfy23 and ManIkWeet for the Body Slammer idea
- Veritas for the Stainless intro removal
- L1ttlePupp3t, Mugmag, StreakOne111, and the other cunts over in Carma Clowns for testing
- John Romero/id Software for a few of the exit messages :p
- DMA Design for the idea behind Kill Frenzies and generally the influence GTA 1 and 2 have had on me
- Team 17 as Worms too has been a big source of inspiration

Resource credits:
► Show Spoiler

Donations:
If you'd like to support me for my re-balancing work then you can do so here. It would be greatly appreciated! :beer:

Older versions:
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by STShotgun on Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:20 pm, edited 55 times in total.
C:MD Mods: Overhaul / Car Lot
AlexTSK
mindless

Re: STShotgun's C:MD Overhaul [BETA]

Post by AlexTSK »

Reinstalled CMD to try this, really nice work so far! Will keep playing and post any feedback here :smile:
STShotgun
turbo bastard

Post by STShotgun »

Cheers, Alex :smile:
helomyname
turbo bastard

Post by helomyname »

This looks really promising, will definitely try it out at some point.

However one of the things that always bothered me in C:R was that there were too many powerups, and a lot of them are basically duplicates of each other. Is there any chance for a future addon that simplifies them by reducing the amount of powerup types to something like C2's variety?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Gave it some playtime and must say it already seems like an improvement on all aspects.
Stellar job! :beer: Can't wait to see how this mod will evolve.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
STShotgun
turbo bastard

Post by STShotgun »

Quick update: I've uploaded another version of 0.9.0 that removes the gifting of timed pups for the AI as it's broken at the moment. For those who already have the previous version, you'll want the 'weapons only' or 'complete removal' addons.

helomyname wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:40 am This looks really promising, will definitely try it out at some point.

However one of the things that always bothered me in C:R was that there were too many powerups, and a lot of them are basically duplicates of each other. Is there any chance for a future addon that simplifies them by reducing the amount of powerup types to something like C2's variety?
About the pups, I don't think I'll make a proper addon for this since what should or shouldn't go is pretty subjective, and I'm not that bothered by the amount of pups to be honest. I don't mind all the variations as long as they're effective. :lol:

What I can do is leave a zad that contains the mod's general_data.lua file which will allow you to replace powerups with whatever you want.

So if for example you want to replace Ped Detonator with Ped Annhilator and replace the limb slicer pups with random ped weapons, then this'll do it:

Code: Select all

{"PEDDETONATOR",			"PEDANNIHILATOR"},
{"FEELINGLEGLESS",			"PEDWEAPON"},
{"GETAHEAD",				"PEDWEAPON"},
{"MOSTLYARMLESS",			"PEDWEAPON"},
{"TISBUTASCRATCH",			"PEDWEAPON"},
Just a quick fyi, the 'classic_pups' category is for Classic Carma, and 'comp_sp_pups' is for the other modes.

Toshiba-3 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:05 pm
Gave it some playtime and must say it already seems like an improvement on all aspects.
Stellar job! :beer: Can't wait to see how this mod will evolve.
Cheers Tosh :smile: :thumbsup:
MalkavsRustyBones
driver

Post by MalkavsRustyBones »

Loving this mod so far. One question, would it be possible to make a patch file to bring back the original CUNT cop cars as the cop cars that spawn in the levels instead of the Suppressor and Oppressor?
RIKUSYO
driver

Post by RIKUSYO »

This mod is great. :saston:
I hope this mod will be the definitive edition of Carmageddon.

There are two features I want:
- Option to use the original driver model.
- Cops driver model (I love cops concept art).
STShotgun
turbo bastard

Post by STShotgun »

MalkavsRustyBones wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:29 am Loving this mod so far. One question, would it be possible to make a patch file to bring back the original CUNT cop cars as the cop cars that spawn in the levels instead of the Suppressor and Oppressor?
Cheers :smile:

Here's an addon for the cop spawns. It's set to have 2 CU:NTs and an APC like in vanilla, but if for example you want to change it to have 3 CU:NTs then you can edit the cop_spawn_modifiers.lua file and change 'promote_1' under difficulty_map to 'demote', or 'promote_3' if you want 2 APCs and a Suppressor, etc.
RIKUSYO wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:22 am This mod is great. :saston:
I hope this mod will be the definitive edition of Carmageddon.

There are two features I want:
- Option to use the original driver model.
- Cops driver model (I love cops concept art).

By 'original driver model', do you mean to have the specific car's driver automatically chosen? If so then I dunno if such an option can be added but for now there's the driver picker in Freeplay, which changes the actual driver for the save slot so it'll change it for career too :smile:

Specific driver models for the cops would be nice but it's beyond the scope of this mod :sad:
RIKUSYO
driver

Post by RIKUSYO »

STShotgun wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:34 pm Thanks :smile:

By 'original driver model', do you mean to have the specific car's driver automatically chosen? If so then I dunno if such an option can be added but for now there's the driver picker in Freeplay, which changes the actual driver for the save slot so it'll change it for career too :smile:

Specific driver models for the cops would be nice but it's beyond the scope of this mod :sad:
I didn't know there was a driver picker. Thank you! :sbsmile:
Don't worry about the cops driver model. It's just a small idea. :wink:
mutecoat
pedestrian

Post by mutecoat »

Signed up just to thank you for the fantastic job here! Immense improvement on the vanilla game (which I was pretty close to just giving up on and uninstalling) and looking forward to following this :)
STShotgun
turbo bastard

Post by STShotgun »

mutecoat wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:14 pm Signed up just to thank you for the fantastic job here! Immense improvement on the vanilla game (which I was pretty close to just giving up on and uninstalling) and looking forward to following this :)
Cheers, I appreciate it :beer:

Hopefully the next big version will get released sometime next week
JormaRysky
pedestrian

Post by JormaRysky »

Just tried. If state of released version would have been this mod, I don't think C:MD would have been so big flop. It is game now, instead of pretty much aimless sandbox.
mutecoat
pedestrian

Post by mutecoat »

STShotgun wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:20 pm
mutecoat wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:14 pm Signed up just to thank you for the fantastic job here! Immense improvement on the vanilla game (which I was pretty close to just giving up on and uninstalling) and looking forward to following this :)
Cheers, I appreciate it :beer:

Hopefully the next big version will get released sometime next week
Watching this space!

If here is the right place for feedback - one thing I noticed is the Criminal Record/My Stats data is all zeroed/unknown after installing the overhaul, and now doesn't populate or increase with play. (I think this has also affected Steam achievements?)
STShotgun
turbo bastard

Re: STShotgun's C:MD Overhaul v0.9.1 - 20/05/2021

Post by STShotgun »

v0.9.1 Release:
STShotgun wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:20 pm Hopefully the next big version will get released sometime next week
...well that never happened :lol:

It was long overdue but the next big update is here! The scope was a big issue for this, so much stuff has been added and tweaked in this version, hopefully the long wait would've been worth it :smile:

Hope you guys enjoy the new update!

Changelog:
► Show Spoiler

mutecoat wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:35 pm If here is the right place for feedback - one thing I noticed is the Criminal Record/My Stats data is all zeroed/unknown after installing the overhaul, and now doesn't populate or increase with play. (I think this has also affected Steam achievements?)
Yeah sadly this is an issue with the new mod saves in the beta patch. Without mods the game will still keep track of your stats as usual, but they won't work when mods are installed. I'm not sure about the achievements but I'm guessing the same applies.
AlexTSK
mindless

Post by AlexTSK »

Looking crispy! Will have to reinstall MD again and give this a go!
Eversmile
pedestrian

Post by Eversmile »

Wonderful mod. I can't save the game, though. What am I doing wrong? I want to play the career mode with this. I am not sure whether I have the beta patch; the password VmfPZyCgXec4v2R4 doesn't seem to work or do anything at all on GOG Galaxy.
STShotgun
turbo bastard

Post by STShotgun »

Eversmile wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:32 pm Wonderful mod. I can't save the game, though. What am I doing wrong? I want to play the career mode with this. I am not sure whether I have the beta patch; the password VmfPZyCgXec4v2R4 doesn't seem to work or do anything at all on GOG Galaxy.

As for the beta patch, I'd imagine it's only accessible through Steam unfortunately
Broscar
pedestrian

Post by Broscar »

Wow, I just had to create an account to leave this feedback.
This mod is a total game-changer. I cannot understate how much it has improved Max Damage.

I used to hate the shit out of Reincarnation/Max Damage. It had all the elements, and on a superficial level it ticked all the boxes, but the actual implementation was so awful that it left me either bored or frustrated. Often times both.
But this mod, dude. This goddamn mod.

The fact that I can actually navigate levels now and explore all the neat nooks and crannies, that the peds are always visible on the map and that car-on-car collisions aren't an unsatisfying clump of awkwardness go such a long way. Then there's all the other added stuff...

For the very first time, I'm having fun in Max Damage. Thanks, STShotgun.
STShotgun
turbo bastard

Post by STShotgun »

Thanks for the kind words dude, I'm glad you're enjoying it :beer:

Also since I'm making a post I might as well mention that the next big version is (hopefully) almost ready to be released. I'd like to get it out as soon as since it's an enormous polishing update, so *hopefully* it'll be sometime before October :smile:
STShotgun
turbo bastard

Re: STShotgun's C:MD Overhaul v0.9.2 - 08/10/2021

Post by STShotgun »

v0.9.2 Release:

Welp, the next update is finally here! Missed another deadline but hey ho. Plenty of new content, fixes and tweaks are included, so I hope you guys enjoy!

Changelog:
► Show Spoiler

The 'Restored Interiors' mod has also had a big update too. Here's the changelog for that:
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by STShotgun on Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:50 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Barely had the time to scratch the surface of all the stuff that your overhaul tweaks. Insane changelog :saston:
Great work :thumbsup:
STShotgun
turbo bastard

Post by STShotgun »

Toshiba-3 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:15 pm Barely had the time to scratch the surface of all the stuff that your overhaul tweaks. Insane changelog :saston:
Great work :thumbsup:
Cheers Tosh, appreciate it :beer:

EDIT: Big thanks to '80s Time Warp for fixing the issue, the Rig O'Mortis seems to be stable! Uploaded v02c of the Restored Interiors mod.

Old post:
► Show Spoiler
mutecoat
pedestrian

Post by mutecoat »

Amazing, more hours in Max Damage with your mod than the original release at this point :) Thanks so much for the work you continue to put into this!

One thing I noticed since this update is that, the vehicle selection seems to have been affected - as in, you sometimes select one vehicle and then start the round with a totally different one. Was that something you were aware of?
STShotgun
turbo bastard

Post by STShotgun »

mutecoat wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:24 pm Amazing, more hours in Max Damage with your mod than the original release at this point :) Thanks so much for the work you continue to put into this!
Thanks dude :beer:
mutecoat wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:24 pm One thing I noticed since this update is that, the vehicle selection seems to have been affected - as in, you sometimes select one vehicle and then start the round with a totally different one. Was that something you were aware of?
Strange, I've never come across this issue :confused: Are there any other details (or examples) you can share for it?
STShotgun
turbo bastard

Re: STShotgun's C:MD Overhaul v0.9.3 - 21/12/2021

Post by STShotgun »

v0.9.3 Release:

Well, happy holidays everyone! Here's a big update for the mod as my xmas gift to the community :beer:

Changelog:
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by STShotgun on Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Jesus Christ that changelog Image
Sounds incredible but can't test while I'm away from home for a couple of weeks.

Almost makes me wish the experimental patch and your work would be applied as an official update to the game on Steam/GOG.
Keep it up :thumbsup: And Trent too :thumbsup:
STShotgun
turbo bastard

Post by STShotgun »

Cheers for the kind words, Tosh. I appreciate it :beer:
STShotgun
turbo bastard

Re: STShotgun's C:MD Overhaul v0.9.4 - 30/01/2022

Post by STShotgun »

v0.9.4 Release:

Got another update out! For once I was able to do a smaller, quick-ish update instead of another major one after an eternity :lol: Hope you guys enjoy the release!~

Changelog:
► Show Spoiler
Also updated some of the addons: the Freeplay Companion, Flappable Plow Bucket, Silent Groovin' Peds, Disabled AI PUp Gifting, and the Free APO mods all got updated. Didn't mention before but the Restored Stun Sounds mod also got updated for the last release too.
ckalvin
pedestrian

Post by ckalvin »

Hey mate, great mod but I can't seem to save in career mode in this, any workaround or is this intended from the game?

Thanks!
STShotgun
turbo bastard

Post by STShotgun »

Cheers :smile:

Did you install the beta patch? You should be able to have modded career saves if you're running that version on Steam. The vanilla version on the other hand locks many things down if you're playing with ZAD mods, where you're basically stuck with Freeplay only.
STShotgun
turbo bastard

Post by STShotgun »

v0.9.5 is well underway! Upped a vid showing an experimental upgrade for the AI, which hopefully can make them feel closer to actual players in the competitive modes :smile:
Shokomi
pedestrian

Post by Shokomi »

STShotgun, I have been reading your work here and I am really impressed.

However i did not recall you fixing the problem with the Pups quantity?

Let me explain..

I love the springattack what makes cars fly like crazy but you only get 1 upgrade per crate.
In C2 you get 3 springattacks. and 3 kangoroo on command?

How can I change these settings? And also, why is not anyone making new carmods?

Hope you can answer this!

Good day!

:)
STShotgun
turbo bastard

Post by STShotgun »

Shokomi wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:48 pm STShotgun, I have been reading your work here and I am really impressed.

Shokomi wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:48 pm However i did not recall you fixing the problem with the Pups quantity?
I've tweaked the quantity for many PUps, but I tried to keep them fairly balanced so one pickup wouldn't be too OP.

Shokomi wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:48 pm Let me explain..

I love the springattack what makes cars fly like crazy but you only get 1 upgrade per crate.
In C2 you get 3 springattacks. and 3 kangoroo on command?
With the Opponent Repulsificator, I split them into two versions: one for Classic Carma (1 per pickup but with a cap of 3), and one for the other modes (with a cap of just 1). Before C:R's 2nd post-launch update, the weapon used to give you 3 per pickup with a cap of 15, but they changed it for balance reasons.

For the Overhaul I kept it in a similar state but I extended the cap for Classic Carma since levels can have multiple Opponent Repulsificator pickups, sometimes right next to each other so the others can go to waste if you pick one up (same reason why I extended the cap for Slaughter Mortars in Classic).

Shokomi wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:48 pm How can I change these settings?
In a PUp's xml file you can find the settings Set_ActivationCount and Set_Cap to change the pickup count and max cap respectively.

I should point out that the majority of PUps have duplicate versions (mostly with PISFix at the end which sorted an annoying issue with the PIS locking away PUps), so if you wanna mod the PUps then you'll have to make sure you do the appropriate changes for every version of a PUp. :smile:

Shokomi wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:48 pm And also, why is not anyone making new carmods?
As far as I know, '80s Time Warp is still working on new content for the game at least. :smile: Sadly C:MD is a niche game with a small community so unfortunately there's just not many people interested in modding it, let alone making new cars for it since it can be a massive job depending on the quality you go for (especially if you want to make something that matches the official cars).

Personally speaking, I'd like to make cars for C:MD if it was in better shape, but even now C:MD has critical flaws which still make the gameplay often infuriating, and these issues are hardcoded so I can't fix them. Namely it's the anti-fun AI and slippery blood pools. There are other issues that constantly annoy me (like the non-randomised music and the fact that headlight shadows are completely broken), but if the issues with the AI and blood were fixed in particular then I think I'd enjoy making new cars.

So for me as of right now (and probably forever onwards if these issues aren't patched in the future) I don't think it's worth the time. I wouldn't be surprised if there are plenty of others who would make new content but feel the same way about the game. :crazy:
Shokomi
pedestrian

Post by Shokomi »

Thankyou for that wonderful reply,

Is the the vanilla modversion or the experimental beta mod version better?

And also, I am having a hard time knowing how i should extract your mod files.

Running beta version (FYI)

Check who’s online