Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

stuck on what to do

A place for all things Bangers! Seduction of Destruction! Fun!
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Re: Buxton Raceway SOD

Post by Razor »

they still look good, i prefer the low-poly stuff though.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

Then also make the wheels less poly wise?
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

meh, they're only 12-sided wheels with smoothing. I'm willing to burn the poly count a little since most of the SOD tracks are low poly to begin with, usually.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post deleted by coffeycup

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Turnip
driver

Post by Turnip »

ive tried everything to get warton ingame but still no luck, ive renamed all the textures and done all the thing you said coffey. please help.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

it would be helpful if you explained more about how you are stuck.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Turnip
driver

Post by Turnip »

it keeps saying 'input past end of file' while trying to convert it to a asc file. ive done all the things that coffey mentioned
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Might be best if I got the sketchup file instead of the .3ds or .ase since sounds like there's a problem with how they're getting exported or something.

How big is the skp file? Too large to attach to a post here?

I will take a look at it, but if it still needs a bunch of work I'll ask you to fix first.
Turnip
driver

Post by Turnip »

ive attached the file, please tell me what the problems are so i know exactly how not to encounter these problems again in future projects, thanks
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

solly, no see attachie
Turnip
driver

Post by Turnip »

cant attach it, its too big :sad: whats your addy because i could send it you through that
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

That looks nice!
Turnip
driver

Post by Turnip »

epic track coffey, thanks, just had a go round and everythings perfect. ill read the tuts you said about and make my track sticking to them, once again thanks. :beer:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

There wasn't anything wrong with your model as far as just getting it into game.

No errors with ASE2ASE. So, make sure everything matches GIF, including the pulldown menu for decimal places

But once in the game is where the problems with the model itself showed up.

Gaps, flipped polys, missing textured areas. I fixed a bunch, there's still things wrong here and there.

I also squished it down along the Y axis by not quite half to get the height of fence more accurate per Freddy.

The fence looks like the height in this photo

Not to pick on you, Turnip, because these problems are in all the maps sent me lately.

So, I thought point some out for the benefit of our budding map makers.

This is what the final sketchup model looked like that I used.

A) Changed map to rounder shape, added tree wall to keep opponents from running off edge of map. Increased scale of farm field texture.

B) Added opening to get in and out of track if you somehow get knocked over the fence.

C) Most of the terrain is not modelled well, but this area was really bad with intersecting polys and reversed polys all mashed together.

D) traced organic outline of photo, got rid of rectangle

E) Guard rails need 3d posts, not a single line. Stand alone lines do not get exported.

F) I was wrong earlier. Those are vehicles in the photo, not buildings.
Freddy
hit n run

Post by Freddy »

Much better Turnip! not quite sure what is going on with those diagonal fence posts? they look very weird. But apart from that its very good, it could do with being a bit smoother in places and the opponants paths seem a bit off? A bit more work and it will spot on though! :thumbsup:
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

off topic time.

Has anyone noticed how clean freddy's SOD cars are, a little too clean i think :P

I've dirtied all of mine up a lil bit.

*pushes back on topic*
Turnip
driver

Post by Turnip »

im doing sheffield at the moment but ive got stuck, how do you do the post and wire fencing? (like on wimbo and shale missions) ive been doing it one by one but its taking ages, been on it since last night (ive spent about 4 hours and only done two posts) please help thanks
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

erm, not sure why it would take 4 hours to do 2 posts.

Most people do not model seperate posts and just use a texture that has the posts as part of it.

If you are planning on making fence smashable, it is the only way to go.
Turnip
driver

Post by Turnip »

wrong type of fencing, ive attached a picture of the fence which ive done (its exactly same as real life)
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I was just giving an example on technique. Use a different texture.

If you want to model posts and cable seperately, you're using up tons of poly on just the fence.

I think its a waste when it can be done solely through textures, but what do I know?
Turnip
driver

Post by Turnip »

ive been trying to get st day into game but it keeps coming up with the error 'input past end of line'. even tho ive tried all the stuff coffey has mentioned. the track does not need a pit gate aswell as most of the people on ovalchat do not want one. heres a couple of screenshots of the track
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Man, I feel like I'm stuck in an endless loop. :shock:

All I can say is I don't think you're exporting the ASE using the right settings
Turnip
driver

Post by Turnip »

right ive just saved the ase file exactly like the one in picture and it still comes up with the error, any more ideas?
juozas
hit n run

Post by juozas »

Please provide screenshot of exporting view to verify, also you can check ASE2ASC settings.

How big is the source file? Destination file? Original (sketchup) file?

Maybe you should have some junk data in original source (sketchup) or 3ds file. :tongue:

Try to reexport sketchup to 3ds (you can check options), then export 3ds to ase with right settings, then try again.
Сделано в СССР
Turnip
driver

Post by Turnip »

ive attached a screenshot of the settings i use to convert to ase file from 3ds
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I dunno. those are right settings.

zip up the .3ds, the .ase and your textures (not too big is it?) and attach
Turnip
driver

Post by Turnip »

here they are
Turnip
driver

Post by Turnip »

here are the textures. the wall may need scaling down, it needs to be just a bit higher than warton. thanks.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Hmmm, I took your ASE and ran it through ASE2ASC without any errors.

Maybe you need to redownload/install ASE2ASC? Maybe your ASE2ASC is where the problem is??

But you have other problems you need to fix first.

###

The whole central part of your map - the flat level part, needs to have its faces reversed.

When you look at the underside of your model in SketchUp, you only want to see blue.

###

When you exported 3ds out of SketchUp, were there TIFs exported too? Tifs called Material.tif, Material01.tif, Material02...etc? Those are the tifs to use.

To avoid ending up with TIFs named Material01.tif, you need to rename them in the materials editor of sketchup. SketchUp exports the TIF using the name of the material, not the tif you started with.

###

If the fence is the wrong height, you ought to fix it now.
Turnip
driver

Post by Turnip »

ok ill do them now, thanks. ive just downloaded a purple screend one and it worked. :rockon: ill sort out the model though now. :beer:
Turnip
driver

Post by Turnip »

new problem :confused: ive downloaded the emty rack text file and changed the bottom to my maps name, when i go into game it just crashes and shuts itself down :confused: ive attached a picture of my map folder so you can check all the files are there, thanks.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I do not see a "st_day.DAT" file.

You have "view common extensions" turned off. So "error_log.txt" gets displayed as just "error_log".

What is that Neromedia file? Is the Neromedia file really the st_day.DAT?

I do see things I was not expecting.

What is that error_log? What generated that?

What is that special_materials? What generated that?

BIG RED FLAG:

why do the error_log and special_materials text files get displayed without .TXT BUT your st_day.TXT does?????

My guess is, if you turn "show extension" back on you'll find your 'st_day.txt' is ACTUALLY called "st_day.txt .txt"

You should turn on 'show extensions' in your control panel so we know exactly what files are which.

To turn back on:

Control Panels >> Folder Options >> View tab >> Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"

Turnip
driver

Post by Turnip »

you were right the .DAT file is the nero one also the txt file had an extra .txt.

this is whats in the error_log:

Error in line 707 (object 'Model') : the line indicating the number of vertices indicates that the object has 0 vertices. This object was skipped since it would make Pt2 crash when importing it.

Error in line 741 (object 'st_day1') : the line indicating the number of vertices indicates that the object has 0 vertices. This object was skipped since it would make Pt2 crash when importing it.

this is whats in the special_materials one:

Multimat. 0, submat. 0 : this material has different 'ambient' and 'diffuse' settings, only the 'ambient' color was used.

Multimat. 0, submat. 1 : this material has different 'ambient' and 'diffuse' settings, only the 'ambient' color was used.

Multimat. 0, submat. 2 : this material has different 'ambient' and 'diffuse' settings, only the 'ambient' color was used.

Multimat. 2, submat. 0 : this material has different 'ambient' and 'diffuse' settings, only the 'ambient' color was used.

Multimat. 2, submat. 1 : this material has different 'ambient' and 'diffuse' settings, only the 'ambient' color was used.

Multimat. 3, submat. 0 : this material has different 'ambient' and 'diffuse' settings, only the 'ambient' color was used.

Multimat. 3, submat. 1 : this material has different 'ambient' and 'diffuse' settings, only the 'ambient' color was used.

Multimat. 3, submat. 2 : this material has different 'ambient' and 'diffuse' settings, only the 'ambient' color was used.

Multimat. 3, submat. 3 : this material has different 'ambient' and 'diffuse' settings, only the 'ambient' color was used.

Multimat. 3, submat. 4 : this material has different 'ambient' and 'diffuse' settings, only the 'ambient' color was used.

Multimat. 3, submat. 5 : this material has different 'ambient' and 'diffuse' settings, only the 'ambient' color was used.

Multimat. 3, submat. 6 : this material has different 'ambient' and 'diffuse' settings, only the 'ambient' color was used.

Multimat. 3, submat. 7 : this material has different 'ambient' and 'diffuse' settings, only the 'ambient' color was used.

Multimat. 3, submat. 8 : this material has different 'ambient' and 'diffuse' settings, only the 'ambient' color was used.

Multimat. 3, submat. 9 : this material has different 'ambient' and 'diffuse' settings, only the 'ambient' color was used.

Multimat. 3, submat. 10 : this material has different 'ambient' and 'diffuse' settings, only the 'ambient' color was used.

Multimat. 4, submat. 0 : this material has different 'ambient' and 'diffuse' settings, only the 'ambient' color was used.

Multimat. 4, submat. 1 : this material has different 'ambient' and 'diffuse' settings, only the 'ambient' color was used.

Multimat. 3, submat. 8 : Materi09 | Opacity rgb setting : 255,255,255

i have no idea what these mean but they were created while converting ase2asc. thanks

Check who’s online