Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

C2 How to clone cars?

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
HaveANiceDay
mechanic

C2 How to clone cars?

Post by HaveANiceDay »

I need to clone one of the C2 cars to retexture it and have both of them in game. Asking because I don't know how to use modelling programs yet.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Re: C2 How to clone cars?

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Hello,

Am I correct in understanding that you want the same car twice in Carma2?

While you don't have to use a modelling program to achieve that, it's actually more complicated than what you'd expect...
You basically have to rename all files and also change the references to these files in each file..!

I guess that if it's just one car, I can do it for you, but only one :lol:
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
HaveANiceDay
mechanic

Post by HaveANiceDay »

This is a very generous offer but it looks like I'll have to learn modelling someday anyway (i wanted to clone Slam Sedan). By the way, I also wanted to ask how to retexture single levels... )
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

If you only want to change the textures, well you can do just that.
The original C2 release and the Steam/GOG re-releases have all the resources "TWaTted", packed into TWT files.
While they can be opened and extracted, it's even easier to just grab the Vanilla C2 mini-pack here https://rr2000.cwaboard.co.uk/carmageddon-2#mods as it has all the resources unpacked and features the original textures in TIFF format. Pretty sure you'll find your way around, textures for the Beaver City level are located in Data\RACES\newc\tiffrgb for example. Open and modify these tiffs in Photoshop or whatever you want.
HaveANiceDay
mechanic

Post by HaveANiceDay »

Ok so I opened CarEd and next thing for me to think and for you to be distracted is opening car with it's textures and component groups with the program. Maybe there are any tutorials about this situation except those from RoadReaction? Also I can't understand how to create car smashables, detachables and menu images, but maybe I'd better create new topic on the forum.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Apologies for the late answer, CarEd can't load existing models with materials/textures. It's mainly made to create and export only. You can import models but have to remap them.
Editing existing cars can be more tedious than creating new ones, if I were you I'd start by creating a simple brick on wheels and getting it ingame, then next step you try to add a detachable, then a smash, etc.

CarEd comes with a great tutorial explaining how to create a C2 addon car. There are also Maxine's tutorial: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9009
And while you got the tutorials at RR2000, searching this very forum will also help you with detachables and smashables. Both aspects are defined in the WAM file and Harm wrote a great article about editing that file.

And yeah, don't hesitate to start a new topic if you can't seem to achieve what you want.
HaveANiceDay
mechanic

Post by HaveANiceDay »

I also apologise for not anwering for so long. Thank you very much.

Check who’s online