Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

[C2] My custom car mod crashes the game upon launching race

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
helomyname
turbo bastard

[C2] My custom car mod crashes the game upon launching race

Post by helomyname »

Hello,

I've recently made a little car for C2:

As far as I'm aware, I set everything up correctly using Harmalarm's 3ds max tools - all of the materials have their correct carmageddon properties set:

I believe the hierarchy to be correct:

To get it in the game, I created a folder called "Cyclone" in data/CARS and then i exported it using Harm's Dat Exporter.
I copied EAGLE3.TXT and renamed it to Cyclone.txt. Inside, i made sure to change the name of the car from EAGLE.TXT to Cyclone.TXT and I got rid of every funk as well.

I also removed this section from the end of the TXT

Code: Select all

3                    // Count
EADORGLL.MAT

SCRN2

SCRN3

EADORGLR.MAT

SCRN2

SCRN3

EAGLR.MAT

SCRN2

SCRN3

It displays in the menu correctly

But the game crashes as soon as I launch a race

Any idea what can be causing this crash? Tosh, i sent the files over to you if you'd like to have a look.

Hope you guys can help!
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Re: [C2] My custom car mod crashes the game upon launching race

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Turns out the main issue here was a lone CAMERA_TURN_OFF_MATERIALS line at the end of the car text file without materials to hide being defined after it.
Another easy oversight found was texture filenames being too long. These filenames mustn't exceed 14 characters.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction

Check who’s online