Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Eidos halts development of Carmageddon

For everything that doesn't belong elsewhere.
huFFamOOse
driver

Eidos halts development of Carmageddon

Post by huFFamOOse »

Just some News I thought I'd pass on..
Eidos has halted development of Carmageddon at Visual Science, GamesIndustry.biz understands, although it's not clear whether the game has been canned completely or whether it will resurface at another developer.
http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=10958

Doesn't sound too good :¬[

Tags:
keroltarr
hit n run

Re: Eidos halts development of Carmageddon

Post by keroltarr »

Well, then that's the last straw. :mad:
We need to seriously start working on our own game.
Lewy T
Keroltarr
Mad Max RW
motorised death

Post by Mad Max RW »

I said something was strange these past few months. Not a single screenshot, preview, or anything, and it had a supposed "Summer 2005" release. To be honest, I never expected to see anything happen.
n3wton
Wasted!

Post by n3wton »

looks like Visual Science havent even got a full team as yet anyhow:-

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/recruitmen ... b_id=15221

thats quite alot to advertise all @ once.....
Noodlez
road raged psycho

Post by Noodlez »

Could be something as simple as regrouping and going for next gen consoles, instead of hitting the going out ones.
NitroX
nymphetamine

Post by NitroX »

yeah .. possibly. that sounds like a reasonable idea.

@ mad max: never expected a positive comment from you either .. but, you was right in this case anyway.
Was Der So Alles Kann
toroid
hit n run

Post by toroid »

I'm not really surprised.... but I hope something good comes out of this. Though, I just doubt that this is anything but a bad omen.

Even if a true sequel is released some day, I will be amazed if it is 10% as awesome as we want it to be. (Please prove me wrong. I want a good Carmageddon game.)

Meh. I might have a brighter outlook if they will share a little bit of development info with us.... whenever the hell they start to get somewhere with this franchise. :suicide:
Tony
Ninja

Post by Tony »

What if.. it turns the same way as that Starcraft FPS game, "Starcraft Ghost". Pretty much finished, and then they dump it. Or as for the Sam & Max sequel which a quite big bunch of people waited and waited for. Both games were showing promesing stuff. Check out the screens

Starcraft Ghost

Don't have a specific URL to Sam & Max: Freelance Police, but this one is interesting Save Sam & Max
(click on "what can I do" and read about Tell Tale Games)
-[ Growl Karaoke ]-[ Image ]-[ Abacorn ]-[ Portfolio ]-
Recent exploit: Trapped The Forces of Evil in a box.. and shaked it!
Mad Max RW
motorised death

Post by Mad Max RW »

The thing about Starcraft Ghost is the game was finished, then Blizzard realized they made a fatal mistike by catering to the 12 year old console crowd. The result was a shallow 3rd person action game with the Starcraft name slapped on. So, everything was scrapped and started over with a new developer.

Sam and Max 2 was a perfect example of how Lucas Arts went down the toilet. Today they're run by people afraid to take risks. They were the best at one time then gradually shifted over to Star Wars, and now we see one rushed Star Wars title after another. Thankfully the Sam and Max license was sold to the creator some months ago, so there's a good chance it will come back.

About Carmageddon 4...they don't have to cancel it if the direction changed towards a next gen console release. But, if that's the case, don't expect anythng but a cheap console port to the PC. That's the best we can hope for. Every single once popular PC franchise is going that route.
NitroX
nymphetamine

Post by NitroX »

pessimistic much?
Was Der So Alles Kann
Mad Max RW
motorised death

Post by Mad Max RW »

I prefer cynic. I'm just clearly explaining the reality of the situation. I can be a dumbass and accept the "oh we're using a few extra weeks to add extra polish to make a super good game really super awesome good kickass to the max!" explanation, but then I'd have to scrounge up some rubber boots and a bigass shovel to dig myself out of the bullshit I let them bury me in.
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

Is that visual science be VIS as in --> In 1999 the Stainless team become part of the VIS entertainment group. ??

BTW: In Spring 2005, SCi - the original publishers of Carmageddon - commissioned Stainless to work on an undisclosed project.

Its all here: http://www.stainlessgames.com/history/
C2 Scientist
jaywalker

Post by C2 Scientist »

Homepages for the two:

VIS entertainment group: http://www.visentertainment.com/index.htm
Visual Science: http://www.vissci.com/
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

Oh well, better its not that, cause if it was it was halted over there then

Heh, why don they get VIS for it...buh no wait, thats closed since july 2003? humm

Let me copy some more: Following the closure of the VIS IOW studio in July 2003, a number of the original team rejoined Stainless, including its original co-founder, Neil Barnden.

In Spring 2005, SCi - the original publishers of Carmageddon - commissioned Stainless to work on an undisclosed project.

I wonder i wonder...
C2 Scientist
jaywalker

Post by C2 Scientist »

Yeah, I remember the news about the return of Neil "Nobby" Barnden.
NitroX
nymphetamine

Post by NitroX »

the suspense is killin me TTR
Was Der So Alles Kann
ApeX__
Banned

Post by ApeX__ »

halted? eh... there will always be a gleam of hope shimmering deepwithin my eyes....
Haha Fuck you Kitteh
DodgyG
pedestrian

Post by DodgyG »

I can come clean now, I was working on the title ages ago (18 months or so). When someone comes in asking what you'd like to see in a new Caramgeddon title, there's a good chance that they're from the dev team and are looking for opinions of the hardcore fans, i.e you lot...
Tony
Ninja

Post by Tony »

I think you'll get some questions, and some explaining to do later on from this day :grin:
C2 Scientist
jaywalker

Post by C2 Scientist »

Yeah, I had a little hunch of that back when you said: "Trust me, a new carma game *will* arrive in 2005...". :wink:
DodgyG
pedestrian

Post by DodgyG »

There's not alot I can answer tbh, I left it 18 months ago and am still under NDA.
Tony
Ninja

Post by Tony »

Sure thing, I got that. It was just that I guessed that a lot of thoughts are coming from a lot of people. Regardless if they get an answer or not :smile:
eviladam
hit n run

Post by eviladam »

I Cant beleive it! thanks alot Eidos now there will be no Carmageddon 4 under the christmas tree!THIS SUCKS!!!. :mad: :suicide:
codemonkey
Captain Obvious

Post by codemonkey »

I know this sounds a wee bit crazy but i live about 30 miles away from dundee where visual science are based and christ there are gonna be some legs broken! if they think they can crush HUNDREDS of fans dreams of a new game emerging and relighting the EPIC series of games we love and call carmageddon, well they better think agaain. i WILL go to there office and ask wtf is going on because its ridiculous that such an amazing game would be halted. i know edios arew having some ruff times after there angel of darkness nightmare but investing in such a popular game as carmagedddon must be a good money macking scheme. so you dicks up in your offices with your magic bean counting fingers can get it up you if you dont know how to count those beans!

thanks for your time. i am really pissed.
eviladam
hit n run

Post by eviladam »

I bet the reason Edios cancelled Carmageddon 4 so they can quickly compile a crappy game of there own and hype it up and buck off it but thats just my opinion
codemonkey
Captain Obvious

Post by codemonkey »

yeah like that new crazy frog racing game :confused: . quite sad that humans would buy such crap. maybe we should get someone to tap dance in clogs in the tune of crazy frog and replace the words of the song with clog. could be intresting and the opening movie to the new carmageddon game. if ever. :mad:
eviladam
hit n run

Post by eviladam »

You can atleast throw some rotten used toilet paper and eggs at the visual sciences building that would show em Were ticked off! :rockon:
codemonkey
Captain Obvious

Post by codemonkey »

yay! angry mob!
eviladam
hit n run

Post by eviladam »

Dont forget the malfunctioning fireworks aimed at the windows of there little corperate suites :smile:
OOOHHH and the sparkeler bombs The perfect way to kick of 2006! :tongue:
Tony
Ninja

Post by Tony »

Yeah, that would Really make them take the time and get the game out to us! Duh!
If I would be one of them and found eggs and toilet paper on the window, I would rather stomp the game even further down the thrash bin. Just as a way to give the finger or something similar. I would not and will never do anything for an angry person.
eviladam
hit n run

Post by eviladam »

Too late now! Eidos probably donated the carmageddon 4 disks to a zoo for the animals to toss around
way before I started babbling on about egging and toilet papering Eidos and maybe before 2004

just to think...Carmageddon is gone forever just because of some finacial problem
Im going to blame that crazy frog game in production oh well...
Yellonet

Post by Yellonet »

New guy here...

Just started playing C2 again and is (was) really looking forward to C4... so it's really not happening? :sad:
random_monkey
motorized monkey

Post by random_monkey »

Not for the moment - I guess there's no reason it can't be picked up again at a later date, but face it guys - it's not like it was going to be good anyway :P
random_monkey
Kolnedra
hit n run

Post by Kolnedra »

as long ppl dont stop playing c2 and tdr, carmageddon wont die o.o , and im pretty sure some1 will come up with the idea to make it themselves o.o
PumaY2K
Fuck Off.

Post by PumaY2K »

Well, Carmageddon never was a top selling game as others. It's sad that Eidos decided to halt it (crush it and don't care about it anymore). But lets face it, these big corporations don't take risks anymore, Carmageddon is a risk because it's not that easily sold due to several factors... PC games aren't that good selling now because of the consoles, now new consoles are coming out and Carmageddon is not a console game, it simply doesn't work there.

So you limit a game to one platform (PC), you decide not to invest money since you don't think it'll be that well selling. The project gets crushed.

By the way, I find it pretty difficult to get a Carmageddon better than or equal than Carmageddon II. TDR was just wrong.

PumaY2K out.
PumaY2K out.

Check who’s online