Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Carmatools Maxscript Pack [WIP]

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

UPDATE

- I have uploaded a new version! This one includes the first operational parts of the car setup and exporter. Feel free to take a look at what I've made so far. You guys should be able to setup and export cars for c2 in 3dsmax, except for the FUNK and smashable parts.

I will also start writing 'how to's' in the coming weeks, in order to explain the more difficult parts about c2 modding and it's odd 'lingo'. ;)

Download history

WIP release nr4 - 2012_06_26 - added smashable setup and seperated noncar setup
WIP release nr3 - 2012_04_26 - quick edit. Added log file creation and more
WIP release nr2 - 2012_04_23 - you can setup your car now!
WIP release nr1 - 2012-02_19 - track setup in WIP stage

Changelog:

-added the smashable setup tools

-improved the noncar tools, making it seperate

-improved the minimap setup

-improved car WAM setup

-added spline export

-new icons!

-overall cleanup of the tools (code wise)

-fixed lots of small issues

-errorlog file creation on track tools

-faulty objects will be exported as dummy boxes

-updated the object handling section

-improved progress bar (more precise)

-added Car setup tool

-added Car export tool

-quick car setup tool added

-added progress bar to track export part

-added group support for track export

-added linked object support up to 4 levels

-optimized code pieces here and there

-hidden objects will not be exported (car and tracktool)

-removed export issues on missing sub-id's (tool can handle them now)

-made new icons!?!

--original post--

Carmatools - A scriptpack for 3ds max designed to make the life of carma modders easier.

The pack currently contains the track setup and track exporter scripts. With it you do most of the track setup for carmageddon 2 and also export the track directly to ACT, DAT and MAT files, ready to be used by the game.

Unfortunately, preprocessing has not been scripted (yet) so pedestrians and smashables will not work.

The Car setup and Export scripts are still in very early WIP, not ready to be used yet, so they will be released in a later stage.

The scriptpack is compatible with max 2010 and up. First priority for the time being will be to bring back compatablility down to max 8.

Installation

new version april 23
Download

unzip to your main 3ds max install directory. Run the "Carmatools_launcher.ms" via 3ds max. It will install the macro-script. From there, you can add buttons to a custom UI toolbar, found in the Carmatools category.

When the tool launches it will enable you to setup different object settings. The object settings will become part of the objects in max, or in other words, the objects will contain extra properties in the edit mode. The rest is rather self explanatory.

Creating the script has been one big learning experience for me. Off course this is a WIP and it is not flawless. Please report any error you encounter, perhaps with a screenshot, or a brief explanation of the situation. You can place your findings in this very topic.

I have uploaded a quick testtrack for you guys to check out. You can place this in your c2/data/races folder to play with. The max file will explain it all (max2010 file)

Testmap

The future

As I said, I will be focusing on compatibility and finishing the track tools part. After that, I will add proper car setup and export tools. This whole pack will be presented on it's own website, which will contain help files and possible tutorials.

Tags:
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Okay, maybe some images with a brief explanation of the functions will help to get this show on the road!

Main track setup rollout. Here you can set the properties to the global track model, or apply certain properties to specific objects, such as grooves or noncars, or to materials such as funks and pedestrian specifications.

Noncar Properties visible in editmode when applied to a noncar object. Noncars are the physics objects of C2, also knows as tippables by many. Noncars can do a lot more than just tip however...

Groove Properties visible in editmode when applied to a groove object. Grooves are the animated objects in C2. Their physics are not animated, so you cannot use them for funky contraptions.

Actor Render mode properties, which determine how the model wil be rendered ingame, for instance in wireframe mode... :p

Environment box properties. You know, the box in which you can set different gravity, sky color or sounds ;) The env boxes can be places with two mouseclicks. Simply change some variables, and you are done.

Funk properties. Funks are the animated textures in C2. You can make them do all kinds of funky things. You can add Funk properties to a 3ds max material and voila; animated material in C2

Ped Spawn properties. The basics for ped spawning are there. Unfortunately, the script cannot preprocess the track (yet). You can still use this, and do the preprocessing in PT2.

MAX vs PT2:

And last, some comparison and C2 shots:

C2 Scientist
jaywalker

Post by C2 Scientist »

Looking good, but the map needs more teapots! :)
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

No! It needs teacups!

These comparative pics are great Harm.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

I have no idea what anybody said but it looks important,

I must now get myself 3dsmax, since.. I wana make maps. Have a bunch of dumb ideas to try,
AdamtheClown
hit n run

Post by AdamtheClown »

Mad_Maxine wrote:I have no idea what anybody said but it looks important,

I must now get myself 3dsmax, since.. I wana make maps. Have a bunch of dumb ideas to try,

I've had an idea for a map for the longest time, but there is no way i could make it, and i don't think ZModeler would do me any good (because i hate ZMod. I only use it for GTA SA, which i haven't played in awhile).
ZalDcaze
hit n run

Post by ZalDcaze »

i will be attempting some track creation once i get 3dsmax installed again
Fireman
motorised death

Post by Fireman »

This sounds good, I could finally make spawnpoints and checkpoints without screwing up :P
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Oh yes, but you can do far more than just add spawn points you know ;)

Still working hard on it every day. I am currently building in more fail-saves e.g: if the script cannot do what it is supposed to it will document all errors and spit out an error list. (hopefully)

Also did a big part of the car setup already :D
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

I have just uploaded a new WIP version of the scriptpack.

Download link and info on the first post.
Adonael
mechanic

Post by Adonael »

What about one for blender? ;P
timmy76
motorised death

Post by timmy76 »

Is there any tutorial's on how to use the plug in for car setup's?
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Not yet. I plan to make a page for the tools with some descriptions and tutorials to help you guys figure out how to use it. I even hope to make a start with that in the coming week ;)
timmy76
motorised death

Post by timmy76 »

Sound's good keep up the great work :D

Check who’s online