Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

[Release] Carmageddon 1 mod - All cars & Levels

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Get it here:
http://www.carmatools.com/downloads/mods/Carmageddon_1_v1.mingeBag.zip

Just drop the MingeBag into Minge and install it.

Features:

• All environments

• All races in said environments

• All powerups correctly placed

• All accessories correctly placed*

• All Routes correct*

• Peds*

• Minimaps*

• C1 APC and C1 Suppressor placed correctly

• Checkpoints

• All Cars updated to work with C:MD**

CityA Specific Features:

• Remade the majority of the geometry to be less janky and better support spawning pedestrians

• Converted a lot of level geometry into Accessories (e.g. signs, video walls, ramps, goal posts etc.)

• Adjusted ped spawns to better support spwning

• Fixed the race routes to show correctly on the minimap

• Added in a proper sky which you can't see for an unknown reason

• Created 3 different environment configurations to approximate those used in the races in the original game

• Added lights to lamps, checkpoints & crossing signs

• Fixed up most of the accessories to behave better.

When I went back to it during the week I had forgotten what a state I'd left CityA in, it was missing half the accessories I was creating for it as I hadn't got around to actually creating them yet, I had just taken the geometry out of the level. So it took a bit longer than I initially thought to put together the pack. Doing so, however, has led to some improvements to my MaxScripts along the way. One major issue I had was a serious collision bug with the ramps I was creating, which turned out to be related to my scripts not generating the bounding sphere or bounding box of MDLs correctly (the box wasn't being converted into C:MD coordinates correctly, and the sphere radius was being calculated as half the length between the box's min/max points, which was incorrect for MDLs which did not have their origin at the mesh's exact centre.). I also did fixes on the accessory placement script exporting (now supports scale correctly, won't turn accessories inside out and thus break their collisions) and improved the routes editing, though most of these tools aren't hooked into the UI yet so can't be used without calling their functions from the console.

Anyway, it's here! You might notice some big red * marks in the features list and here's why:

Level Notes

* Only CityA (which is Maim Street, Slaughter City and Wallstreet Crash) is what I'd call "almost complete", it still needs some tweaks but it's all there and working. The rest of the levels are extremely unfinished. They all should work and be playable however they the following known issues:

Minimap paths are mostly all broken. The race routes work but the don't show correctly on minimaps due to differences between old carma and nucarma's route makeup

No environment configurations, they're just generic

Peds are placed but don't spawn properly so you get very few peds in the levels

Accessories are all placed but aren't certain to work properly, they may have collision issues and don't have any updates like the lights on the lamps in CityA

The textures possibly need reconverting to TDX using the new flags I introduced in GibbedTools recently to stop them looking washed out

** On the cars front, I updated them all to work with C:MD, reconverted the textures and such, but they don't make use of any C:MD features properly. They don't have the internal cam set up, Suppressor doesn't use the proper 6 wheel setup, it's faked, etc. They all should work and be fun they just need some further updates.

So there you go, go have fun!
a.k.a. Brent
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

wow - thank you Trent! i wasn't expecting it so soon buut - i'm not disappointed!=) Appreciate your income, i missed all these simple levels
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Great first release!
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Thanks Trent !

EDIT It Crashed GOG CMD every time I am waiting for the maps to start. What have I screwed up now ?

EDIT EDIT Loaded the first City map by itself . seemed to have fixed it. Will test each on individually felt weird when first seeing these pedestrians and then running them over in 3d.
Privata
turbo bastard

Post by Privata »

Thank you so much for this !
JeReMiZ
hit n run

Post by JeReMiZ »

Toshiba-3 wrote:

Great first release!

Thanks Trent.

Looks likes a fakeass bullshot from 2000 eras of Carmageddon :D
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

@Trent btw it would be great to have an option to swap c1 apc and supressor to the vanilla one (CMD) and from Alex. is it even possible?
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

hazardic wrote:@Trent btw it would be great to have an option to swap c1 apc and supressor to the vanilla one (CMD) and from Alex. is it even possible?
Cop spawns are defined as accessories in the level.lol, the only way to swap them is to have multiple versions of each race with the spawn accessory set to the different cop cars for each race, which is a bit silly.

The game does have a mechanism for swapping cop cars based on the difficulty (e.g. swap APC for CUNT on easy) but the script which controls that is part of the main game scripts so they cant be changed without tripping the anti-tamper shit and it is only for different difficulty settings.

@starbuck: you didnt disable the C1 APC by any chance? The game will crash if the C1 APC (and Suppressor in the case of Blood On The Rooftops) is not active in Carmodgeddon. They should be set as required for the levels in their minge file and it should set them as active by default. If it doesnt then you need to activate them.
a.k.a. Brent
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Trent wrote:
hazardic wrote:@Trent btw it would be great to have an option to swap c1 apc and supressor to the vanilla one (CMD) and from Alex. is it even possible?

Cop spawns are defined as accessories in the level.lol, the only way to swap them is to have multiple versions of each race with the spawn accessory set to the different cop cars for each race, which is a bit silly.

The game does have a mechanism for swapping cop cars based on the difficulty (e.g. swap APC for CUNT on easy) but the script which controls that is part of the main game scripts so they cant be changed without tripping the anti-tamper shit and it is only for different difficulty settings.

@starbuck: you didnt disable the C1 APC by any chance? The game will crash if the C1 APC (and Suppressor in the case of Blood On The Rooftops) is not active in Carmodgeddon. They should be set as required for the levels in their minge file and it should set them as active by default. If it doesnt then you need to activate them.

I went over to that TAB in Minge and they were not checked the first time, and then once they were checked the first race started. That might have been it. Have mostly been doing the first race over and over all day. Its fun seeing it in 3D with the peds now but how odd that it looks like they are 2D still you hit them.

EDIT I did notice one minor thing in Bleak City A (dont know about the others) The Eagle and the Volkswagon Car with the spikes seem to ride about 6 inches to a foot under the pavement.

I made a new edited thread with 90 percent working maps . Trent if in the rare chance you want to DL them (I know you have dial up) and check out the broken ones, go ahead I am not asking you to check them though I can track it down slowly . I cant remember which ones I fall thru through, My mind is going hence why I am no longer even trying to help.

Thanks again for all you do, you are helping keep this game alive.
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

Trent wrote:

thanks for explanation! so am i correct, if say thet swapping name = "C1APC" & name = "C1Suppressor" in level.lol to the vanilla APC & Alex's Supp accordingly will do the job right?
flykas
turbo bastard

Post by flykas »

Hey. Thank you very much sir. Great to see mods of CMD. I'll definitely try it today.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

@Hazardic: yup, that's exactly right

@Starbuck: some cars likely have ride height issues. Ill need to investigate.

I'm not on dial up, I'm just on pretty shitty adsl until Tuesday when I am finally getting fibre installed ;)

I'll grab your pack during the week and have a look at it but, not to be a dick, it would probably take me more time to fix your ports than it would to create my own to that level of functionality from the original C2 and SplatPack data. Seriously, it took about half an hour to get Fun Fair's basic geometry in-game using my phone this evening, and most of that was waiting the C2 import scripts, my processing scripts, CMD export scripts and texture conversipn (TIF to PNG to TDX) to run:

If people want the rest of the classic levels in an empty, barebones form with no Peds, power ups, accessories or routes then i reckon i could knock them out in an evening. Probably wouldn't take me long to knock up some parsing code to read in the SP and C2 level txt files and spit out ped and path data. A bit more work on the maxscript front and I could automate the extraction of non-cars (they all start with & in the level hierarchy) from the levels to populate the accessories and powerups files and I think I've already got code to stitch the quadtree meshes together. With those bits in place there's just a tiny bit of manual jiggery pokery per lecel to get them up to the standard of most of the C1 pack. Doing the C2 levels properly would be a bit more involved because of the smashables and the drones but those could possibly also the automated to an extent.

Drones (cars, rollercoaster, jumbo jet) would be the difficult thing because I would need to create RBA's to animate them along their paths but if an object is animated with an RBA then they can't be knocked around so I would probably have to do them like the Monorail in Outskirts, where the accessory is on a breakable joint attached to an invisible object animated with the RBA.
a.k.a. Brent
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

ANY work you do is great. On my side it just pisses me off that I have about 30 maps that the cars fall thru and I did the 0,0,0 thing and they still are screwed up.

Something I did earlier today that solved one map doesnt work anymore. All I really want is just opponent paths and peds in my damn maps. I cant even get that far until the last hurdle is completed. And there are about 30 hurdles in front of me.

To me you aren't being a dick if you are pointing out faults, my case is now its many, its how we learn.

EDIT The way these were made was as far as I know. Was MAX format to FBX to Flummery and then exported to CNT which fell thru the map. When I did MAX to your tools exported to CNT then they would crash upon loading into the game. If it helps some map names I remember were Off Quay, Meltdown Alley and Towers of Torment and Topgear Thrash and Armorgeddon to name a few. If you get a chance to look at those CNT files. Hopefully you can see what wrong with those finished end files .

MORE EDIT I noticed by searching Google that is was obvious you were talking back and forth in a forum with Harmalarm possibly about Image Formats. So here is how I went about my "map making"

1 I imported the original maps using HarmaAlarms tools in MAX using DAT import.

2. I exported those maps into OBJ files.

3. I used notepad to turn the TIF references into PNG references by text replacing in the material file left..

4. I reopened the OBJ files in MAX.

5. Time about 30 seconds at most.

This gave me the same size models with textures on the models of the PNG textures in place into MAX which I can use for editing or exporting into FBX files, etc to use in Flummery. No special editing (like HEX editing ,etc) that any person with limited modeling knowledge can handle.

MORE MORE EDIT I FIXED THE ISSUE WITH FALLING THRU THE MAPS ! I Think I found out why. I think it turns out that exporting the file to an FBX makes it into a ghost. I will do it all over again using the ATTACH tool. and not going into Flummery at all (Sorry Errol). For one thing I forgot that Flummery erased all data in the LEVEL.LOL file. I assume it was because I did not have an editable mesh. Going to try to make track number 2 as a test now.

YES ! I easily fixed it in MAX. So disregard any problems I have listed here. Right now I got my head together.

So were are hopefully on the same page how to you get them into CR from C1 and C2 if you got time ? And hopefully have you been able to see what I did wrong (Besides the Pivot Points we discussed earlier) so I can avoid it in the future ?
Licky Webster
driver

Post by Licky Webster »

WOW.
Errol
Toxic Ranger

Post by Errol »

I'm poking at making the Flummery process a little more seamless. Three clicks and you're done.

Open C2 level > Process for C:MD > Save as C:MD level... et voila

There is still some ways to go though
:: You wanna build a snowman mod C:R? Get Flummery, the Carmageddon modders tool. ::
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Errol wrote:I'm poking at making the Flummery process a little more seamless. Three clicks and you're done.

Open C2 level > Process for C:MD > Save as C:MD level... et voila

There is still some ways to go though

Yes ! Keep poking ! Thank you !
nobby
Stainless

Post by nobby »

I just had a play with the C1 Bleak City for the first time. GREAT. XD
I was in the war.
farellfoxx
driver

Post by farellfoxx »

Well, well. I just logged in after 2+ years to tell you that I just came violently all over my desk.

I don't think it'll come out, but thanks anyway!

I'm so glad to see you've finished these, however rough; thanks Trent! I know what I'm playing tonight!
LuckyMike
hit n run

Post by LuckyMike »

Amazing
Wilbur Cobb
mechanic

Post by Wilbur Cobb »

this mod is brilliant and I thank you, trent, but there's one glaring bug I have that I can't seem to fix

only when playing classic maps, the sound effect that comes with fire coming out of exhaust (any turbo, vlad) is massively bugged and causes a loud, constant sort of buzzing clicking sound. This doesn't happen in the official maps for some reason. I haven't tested what happens in other mod-made maps (as I dont have any)

if you have any fixes or suggestions for this, the mod will be Perfect
Commander E1M4
pedestrian

Re: [Release] Carmageddon 1 mod - All cars & Levels

Post by Commander E1M4 »

Thank you for this mod, really impressive.

In all levels of C1, (only levels of C1) , there are times that the car camera randomly zooms in very quickly and returns to the normal camera, but very quickly, look at it , as in this sample image that I created.

Does anyone know why?

Thank you.

speedstar00
pedestrian

Post by speedstar00 »

First post to the forum and I would like to say this is fantastic however when I tried to install this mod, none of the cars are showing up. Did I do something wrong in the installing (through Minge FYI)?
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Couple of questions:
1) Are you running the game's Experimental Beta Patch? If you are then you need to use the version linked at the bottom of this post:viewtopic.php?t=9732 and use the instructions in there to set the command line to run the mod
2) If you are not using the Experimental Beta Patch, are you launching the game in CarMODgeddon mode? If not, then you need to. You can do this from the options in steam when you click Launch from your library or by adding -carmodgeddon to the command line.
3) If you are running CarMODgeddon mode, did you make sure to tick all the cars & levels you want to use in Minge after installing the mod package? If not, you need to.
4) If you did, then can you open up the game's folder, into the CarMODgeddon directory and open up CarMODgeddon.lua in your favourite text editor and see if the mods are listed there?
5) If they're not, is you can installed into a protected folder such as Program Files? If so you might need to run Minge in Administrator mode to allow it to save.
a.k.a. Brent
speedstar00
pedestrian

Post by speedstar00 »

Trent wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:00 am Couple of questions:
1) Are you running the game's Experimental Beta Patch? If you are then you need to use the version linked at the bottom of this post:viewtopic.php?t=9732 and use the instructions in there to set the command line to run the mod
2) If you are not using the Experimental Beta Patch, are you launching the game in CarMODgeddon mode? If not, then you need to. You can do this from the options in steam when you click Launch from your library or by adding -carmodgeddon to the command line.
3) If you are running CarMODgeddon mode, did you make sure to tick all the cars & levels you want to use in Minge after installing the mod package? If not, you need to.
4) If you did, then can you open up the game's folder, into the CarMODgeddon directory and open up CarMODgeddon.lua in your favourite text editor and see if the mods are listed there?
5) If they're not, is you can installed into a protected folder such as Program Files? If so you might need to run Minge in Administrator mode to allow it to save.
1) yes i'm using the beta patch so all the other questions are basically redundant?

edit: which software do I use for to use to do the command line?

edit2: figured it out just needed to use steam launch options thanks anyways trent. Can't Wait to enjoy this modpack.

Check who’s online