Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

[Tool] Minge: The CarMODgeddon Mod Installer

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Short version the Brake pedal uses a totally separate axis than the gas pedal. There is a Z axis in the brake pedal.

None of those outer programs would get the brake pedal to work. (Xinput etc)

Best I got was using a button for the brakes I think or pushing the gas pedal 50 percent to stay still and letting your foot off to go backwards.

I was hoping you detected a command in there we didnt see. We shall see once you released the new version.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

pushing the gas pedal 50 percent to stay still and letting your foot off to go backwards.

Does that happen when you set the gas pedal axis to accelerate? It sounds like the pedals are mapped from -1 to 1 instead of 0 to 1, which could be an issue. Can the drivers change that mapping?

There's also no Z axis input in C:R that I can tell. By the sounds of it what we need to fix this is software which maps the accelerator pedal to the 0 to 1 values of the xbox trigger axis, and the brake pedal to the -1 to 0 values. I would guess the best way to do it would be to that would be to write a piece of software which intercepts the xinput DLL's XInputGetState function function, polls the wheel's state using DirectInput and creates the XINPUT_STATE/XINPUT_GAMEPAD structures using the corresponding values pulled from the wheel and map the values accordingly. And a method of configuring that easily. What could be easier? I'm going to have a poke around in x360ce's source code to see how it works and see if I can figure out a method of hooking xinput myself and see if how plausible it is to create such a tool.
a.k.a. Brent
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Sorry for the late reply

Does that happen when you set the gas pedal axis to accelerate?

Yes but I cant remember if its only one setting that makes it that.

It sounds like the pedals are mapped from -1 to 1 instead of 0 to 1, which could be an issue. Can the drivers change that mapping?

The Sofware and drivers that lets you map the Wheel and pedals allow you to map it where that might be the problem.

But those software extras like Xinput define the gas pedal as one axis and the brake as a Z axis.

I may have a change to get out my wheel today and test it out to see what is what since its a newer release than 8 months ago. Then when you do release it I will go whole hog, as I am sure others will.

If I find something relevant I will post it here since my memory is a bit fuzzy. PS My brain is not working at all. Forgive errors.

http://www.carmageddon.com/forum/topic/28171?page=6

Also read this thread from Purple44s reply with the steering wheel image. He and I did some good attempts.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Latest Windows update killed Minge. The program will not start anymore.

I tried running it as administrator and that still wont work.

I opened it up from a new directory and all that worked was asking me to find the CR folder and then the program wouldnrt start.

UPDATE If you pick the wrong CR directory Minge will start in the background but with the big error box. But you cant bypass that.

The program wont even show up in Task Manager. Running in compatibility mode for windows 8 for example will not do a thing.

This is with TWO updates this week thinking the latest one will bring workability back.

Microsoft said this was an anniversary update and if you had to backtrack you would have to go back to something like Windows 1533 or 1583 or something "last years build"

So before I do that I want to check in with you Trent if you can overcome this issue.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

There's no incompatibility with the latest Windows update that I can tell. Try deleting everything in C:\users\[YourUsernamr]\AppData\Local\Minge\, that will clear the settings and then you should be able to point it to the correct directory.
a.k.a. Brent
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Trent wrote:There's no incompatibility with the latest Windows update that I can tell. Try deleting everything in C:\users\[YourUsernamr]\AppData\Local\Minge\, that will clear the settings and then you should be able to point it to the correct directory.
I did that but once I pointed to the correct directory its like I originally said the program wont start. When the settings are pointed to the correct directory I dont get a response. Just two quick circles that appear , and then nothing.

the good thing is that when the wrong directory is chosen THAT is when your program shows up in the background.

Been with three people at MS tech support.

When the error DOES occur I can click Continue then try to update to the correct directory thru your top menu then I just keep getting the same exception errors. And then we go back to the same thing where your program wont start.

Is there anything I can do on my end to detect any errors directly once I select the proper directory and it wont start ? Cause without that error happening nothing happens in your program?

Its been about a week and I have to "do everything by hand" I miss your program.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

What I CAN do is purposefully choose the wrong directory, then update it within the program, click "Continue" and it seems like your program is working But nothing shows up in those 3 side menus when the error keeps popping up
LuckyMike
hit n run

Post by LuckyMike »

I think you wrong.

Minge not start if one the car archives is broken.

Try to clean your carmodgeddon folder. Just move all archives to another folder.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

I never ran it thru a debugger but this time when I run it I get "An unhandled exception of type 'System.ArgumentException' occurred in mscorlib.dll" immediately before it even starts.

Dont know if that helps.
LuckyMike
hit n run

Post by LuckyMike »

Try to copy the executable and run from another place.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

LuckyMike wrote:I think you wrong.

Try to clean your carmodgeddon folder. Just move all archives to another folder.
My car archives is not broken and the problem happens with a clean install of CR. We really dont need guessers here, thank you.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Have you tried running it as Administrator? Where is your C:R folder and where is Minge installed?
a.k.a. Brent
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

LuckyMike wrote:Try to copy the executable and run from another place.
Before you rteply PLEASE learn how to read. I already said I did that.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Trent wrote:Have you tried running it as Administrator? Where is your C:R folder and where is Minge installed?
I said I already tried running it as an Administrator and I ran it from three different directories by now. And when I run it from a different directory (like I said) It fails after I choose the CR directory.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Its weird I ran it thru the debugger and it left a VS folder behind. WITH that folder in the directory it runs to the main menu ? Strange.
LuckyMike
hit n run

Post by LuckyMike »

Good luck to you. 8-)
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

If you're getting an exception error then you should be able to get more details, such as information about the function or line or whatever the error occurred in. That information might be helpful in figuring out what the issue is.
a.k.a. Brent
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

starbuck wrote:
LuckyMike wrote:I think you wrong.

My car archives is not broken and the problem happens with a clean install of CR. We really dont need guessers here, thank you.

Sorry for sounding pissed. But the only ZIP files that were in there were the 2 files of the Flintstone car I created and posted, and the game has been accepting those.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Trent wrote:If you're getting an exception error then you should be able to get more details, such as information about the function or line or whatever the error occurred in. That information might be helpful in figuring out what the issue is.
I was only getting the Exception error when I didnt choose a directory properly otherwise nothing happened. And as I mentioned this started the morning of Microsofts "Anniversary Update" crap.

Weird thing was I wasnt working on anything when it told me I needed to do the update. I wonder if the MS update corrupted some files.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

OK Thanks for the help both of you guys.

I deleted the two Flintstone files (car and wheels) started the program up fine. UNDELETED those two files and the program accepted the ZIPS I just deleted.

I THINK what happened was the Windows update changed some folders "permissions" during the update.

I went thru the ADMIN program and changed the permissions to what they SHOULD have been before the update. Funny how 3 MS techs coiuldnt solve the solution and yet we could by chatting.

Thanks to Luckymike for planting that seed which made me think a little bit. The ENTIRE steam folders were corrupted and could not be detected by Windows.
FatCat
mindless

Post by FatCat »

Hey Trent, seems like Minge doesnt work with C:MD at the moment. ='C
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Yup probably, I haven't had the opportunity to look at it, only had time to boot the game up for ten minutes on Friday between work at going away for the weekend. I'll look into it on Monday when I get back.
a.k.a. Brent
Madman1223
pedestrian

Post by Madman1223 »

It worked fine yesterday but now when I try to start it, nothing happens.

I added an exception to my anti-virus so that's not it :/
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

A new release for Max Damage is imminent. I've mostly just got to find time to test the changes properly.
a.k.a. Brent
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Awesome work Trent. Looking forward to the release.
Just another '80s Dreamer....
Twitter Manifestation. - Mods for Max Damage.
Please do not use my old/deadname.
miniz1994
pedestrian

Post by miniz1994 »

Hello, kind of new here (lurking about a bit without joining for a while.) but wondering if the update has been made too this program yet ?
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

It's not quite ready yet, I've still got one feature I need to finish off before I can release it which I just haven't had the time to do. Fingers crossed it'll be done before the new year.
a.k.a. Brent
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Good news everyone!

Minge v5.0: Minge Damage edition released!

http://www.carmatools.com/downloads/tools/MingeV5.zip

!!!Important!!!! Minge now requires .NET 4.6! Grab it here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=48130

This is the big update you all have been waiting for. I haven't done too much testing so it's likely riddled with bugs but I saw no point in holding up the release any longer. Most importantly it adds support for Max Damage, you can swap between the two games each with their own settings and everything. There's also been significant UI work with the mods list changing to use tabs, tray icon & menu, mod presets and MingeBag bundles so modders can distribute a single standard package for users to install with all the necessary mods inside, whether it be a collection cars or just a single car with all the wheels, rather than everyone having to include custom installation instructions with their mods. A MingeBag is installed exactly the same way as an individual mod so you just have to distribute the MingeBag.

MingeSet files just tell Minge which mods to have enabled, so if you want to play a game with friends using just muscle car mods, for example, you can create a preset for that, save a MingeSet file and give that to everyone who will be able to load it to enable the correct mods and disable the rest. When I get a mod database integrated I will be able to have it check if they have the required mods installed and offer to down them if not, but that's for a future version.

Highlights of the changes n v5.0:

• Added support for Max Damage (CarMODgeddon, launching, ZAD extracting, LOL decoding, etc.)

• Added ability to switch between games

• UI tidy up

• Tray icon and minimize to tray support

• MingeSet presets for creating, saving and loading presets of enabled mods

• MingeBag bundles for packing and installing multiple mods to/from a single ZIP

• Much more...

a.k.a. Brent
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Thanks for all of your hard work Trent.

Unfortunately, I'm getting the following error whenever I try to browse a folder to pack.

EDIT: This also comes up whenever I attempt to change the game folder, be that through the main UI, or game options.

If it helps, here is the full 'details'

Spoiler:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: '!!0[] System.Array.Empty()'.
at Minge.FolderSelect.FolderSelectDialog.ShowDialog(IntPtr hWndOwner)
at Minge.PackModForm.BrowseForModFolderButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34209 built by: FX452RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Minge
Assembly Version: 4.1.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.1.0.0
CodeBase: file:///D:/My%20Documents/work/CarmageddonCars/mod%20tools/MingeV5/Minge.exe
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34251 built by: FX452RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34285 built by: FX452RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34294 built by: FX452RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Xml
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34283 built by: FX452RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Core
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.IO.Compression
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34209
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.IO.Compression/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.IO.Compression.dll
System.IO.Compression.FileSystem
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34209
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.IO.Compression.FileSystem/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.IO.Compression.FileSystem.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Balls. Thanks for the report I'll get it fixed asap!
a.k.a. Brent
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Quick question, what version of .NET do you have installed Mike? I probably should have added this to the update info but I forgot I'd made this change as it happened quite a while ago: Minge now requires .NET 4.6: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=48130
a.k.a. Brent
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Quick question, what version of .NET do you have installed Mike? I probably should have added this to the update info but I forgot I'd made this change as it happened quite a while ago: Minge now requires .NET 4.6: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=48130
I believe I'm running 4.5.2, When I get home this evening, I will verify that & if so, update to 4.6.
nobby
Stainless

Post by nobby »

Thanks for the update Trent - the continued mod support you and the other guys give the game is yugely appreciated!
I was in the war.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

My pleasure, Nobby! I just wish I had more time to put towards it!
a.k.a. Brent
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Updated .Net to 4.6, and all is functioning. Thanks Trent! :)

Only issue so far is that the Name & Game Type do not seem to be saving when a mod is packed, however all other meta data is saving.

Check who’s online