Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

[Tool] Minge: The CarMODgeddon Mod Installer

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
Big_pimouss
pedestrian

Post by Big_pimouss »

starbuck wrote:"Minge

Version de l'assembly : 1.0.0.0

Version Win32 : 1.0.0.0"

I see that. I think you are running the wrong version of Minge. You need the updated version on the first page of this thread I think.

Its the first version listed on page 1. Version 2.5.

The first version had decimal issues If I remember correctly (maybe why you get that decimal error.)

and dont worry about speaking French I understood everything you said and I can only speak English :)

Oh ! i don't understand , i run the version 2.5 !

Edit

Ah, the problem is with the version check. I assume it's probably related to do the culture not being set properly in the program so it uses the system's default number format when trying to parse the version string. This is a problem for systems set to use a , (comma) for the decimal point instead of a . (period).
Ok i just see that . I'll wait :D
Espyo
road raged psycho

Post by Espyo »

I have a vague memory of that problem happening before. It was some tool some modder made for Reincarnation that also had problems with different cultures using different characters for decimal points. Am I going nuts, or is this the Carma Modder Curse?
I'm Espyo from the Carmageddon Wiki!
I'm currently working on a Pikmin fan engine.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Espyo wrote:I have a vague memory of that problem happening before. It was some tool some modder made for Reincarnation that also had problems with different cultures using different characters for decimal points. Am I going nuts, or is this the Carma Modder Curse?
What happened to him also happened to me when I reinstalled Windows at first, only thing was I got rid of the curse. I also had an old modded car installed that caused it.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Espyo wrote:I have a vague memory of that problem happening before. It was some tool some modder made for Reincarnation that also had problems with different cultures using different characters for decimal points. Am I going nuts, or is this the Carma Modder Curse?
That was also me with LOLDecoder. It's something I always forget about :(

Anyway, been doing work on it today and put together a new release:

v3 Features:

Game Options & Launching

ZAD Extracting

LOL Decoding

Fix for the number culture

Minge should automatically tell you the new version is out, anyone having the crash on checking for the new version should also be able to load their current version of Minge. If you don't want to run Minge to download it then grab it from: http://www.carmatools.com/downloads/tools/Minge.rar
a.k.a. Brent
Big_pimouss
pedestrian

Post by Big_pimouss »

No problem with the new version .

Cool !

Thank you !
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Cool, thanks for the update Trent! :)
Just another '80s Dreamer....
Twitter Manifestation. - Mods for Max Damage.
Please do not use my old/deadname.
AlexTSK
mindless

Post by AlexTSK »

Works great, thanks for that start game button, helps shave off a good few seconds every launch :D
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

AlexTSK wrote:Works great, thanks for that start game button, helps shave off a good few seconds every launch :D
I tried Trents Start button but it started the regular game with "Career mode" in it, not the carMODgeddon version. I did not click "Career mode" though so not to damage that "gamesave" (whatever), I just exited the game .

Comparing a test model to load it right now, and comparing it to Trents (or Errols map) test model.

EDIT It was a setting in Trents program not enabled.

And his test map has a lot of cool additions I didnt know about like Peds and active Enemies. It was the one called "lev_testmap_tr" , All I had to do was remove a few folders and copy everything over to one folder.
AlexTSK
mindless

Post by AlexTSK »

If the game doesn't tell you you have modified zads, you can play career mode just fine when running the regular game, mods just won't show up. If you've modified the zads or added custom data to override them then caree will be greyed out anyway.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

AlexTSK wrote:If the game doesn't tell you you have modified zads, you can play career mode just fine when running the regular game, mods just won't show up. If you've modified the zads or added custom data to override them then caree will be greyed out anyway.
Just found out that I need to "enable CarMODgeddon" in Trents program. It was under the options.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Also modified data in the ZAD folder stops the game from saving entirely, so it would be impossible to corrupt the save data that way.Even if you put a script which nukes the data in the save game structure into a ZAD file, it won't save those changes to the save game file.

And thanks, everyone, glad it works for you all!
a.k.a. Brent
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Minge v4.1 released

v4.1
Fixed UI bug which apparently numerous people have been silently suffering with, thanks to Ender for pointing this out.
Added a better update dialog with change log support.
Minor update but a big version number leap as there was a typo in the version checker which made the previous version think it was v4 instead of v3. Oops. Anyway, grab it from the usual place and PLEASE report any bugs which you find, I can't fix them if I don't know about them!
a.k.a. Brent
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Minor error but the program still starts when you click continue

with text

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:83

at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.EndConnect(IAsyncResult asyncResult)

at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Exception& exception)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 4.6.1063.1 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

Minge

Assembly Version: 4.1.0.0

Win32 Version: 4.1.0.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/games/Carma%20Modding%20tools/Minge/Minge.exe

System.Windows.Forms

Win32 Version: 4.6.1038.0 built by: NETFXREL2

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System

Win32 Version: 4.6.1038.0 built by: NETFXREL2

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

Etc.

But as I said the program still starts fine. Have not tested it further yet. Windows 10, Net 4.5.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Try downloading it again and reinstalling it. The initial upload I did hadnt had the update URL swapped to the live site from the development site, looks like you grabbed it before I uploaded the correct version.
a.k.a. Brent
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

To be safe I deleted any file related to Minge as well as the original Minge folder and unRared the new one.

and it gave me a nice "thank you for upgrading" window. :) So looks like it works now. Thanks.

Cant test ZADs because I messed up a few of my own files recently :)

It was weird but I thought I waited on downloading it :)
copmac
hit n run

Post by copmac »

Hi Trent,

Ming still contains some "imperfectons"

If you do: File - import mod ->click in the new window on +

you can only select ZAD files not zip. (why not)

and the default is: openFileDialog1

Sloppy dude :-p
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Of course it's far from perfect, it's still got a long way to go until it does everything I want it to and there's no doubt loads of bugs in it. This is why the latest version loudly tells people to report bugs to me so I can fix them. It's so frustrating finding out there's bugs in my tools which stop people using them properly but they've not reported them.

The UI bug I fixed in the latest version was apparently causing quite a few people problems for quite a while but it was never reported until very recently by one person. The bug you mentioned has been like that for a very long time, since CarMODgeddon swapped to use ZIPs instead of ZADs. and no one had reported.

Now you have reported it I fixed it in a couple of minutes from my phone and it will be included in the next version :)
a.k.a. Brent
copmac
hit n run

Post by copmac »

Hi Trens,

I'm currently testing your tool inside, outside :-)

I'll report issues i find.

Note: starting carma in carmod from the tool is very nice.

could you add the option to create a shortcut on the desktop that does the same?

Additional, if you set *.* you can select a zip file but it reports that it is not a valid mod.

I'm referring to '80s Time Warps mods zip files.

Would be nice to add info why the mod is not valid.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

copmac wrote:Hi Trens,

I'm currently testing your tool inside, outside :-)

I'll report issues i find.

could you add the option to create a shortcut on the desktop that does the same?

Additional, if you set *.* you can select a zip file but it reports that it is not a valid mod.

Would be nice to add info why the mod is not valid.

It doesnt have to tell you why its invalid cause its obvious it is not the correct ZIP file structure when you download it. Its pretty easy to see why if you are opening '80s Time Warps file and thinking that is his car mod. (Sorry if that came out sounding rude) But you have to extract it to the game directory before you can even SEE the cars ZIP itself.

If you look at the file downloaded you will see the "CarMODgeddon" folder followed by the "Vehicles" folder. The car mod is actually IN the zip file buried in the folders. You have to extract his zip file first (the first time) before you can use it in Minge.
copmac
hit n run

Post by copmac »

Hi Starbuck,

I'm testing how Minge reacts.

As i didn't know, without looking in the source, how the mods are checked the error isn't very helpful.

The check in Minge is this:

while (enumerator.MoveNext())

{

string zADLocation = enumerator.Current.ZADLocation;

string a = Path.GetExtension(zADLocation).ToLower();

if (a == ".zad" || a == ".zip")

{

ModInfo modInfo = new ModInfo(zADLocation);

if (modInfo.IsCarMODgeddonZAD)

{

if (modInfo.Type == ModType.Level)

{

ModManager.InstallMod(zADLocation, Path.Combine(this.CarMODgeddonFolder, "Levels", Path.GetFileNameWithoutExtension(zADLocation) + ".zip"), modInfo, moveFiles);

}

else if (modInfo.Type == ModType.Wheel)

{

ModManager.InstallMod(zADLocation, Path.Combine(this.CarMODgeddonFolder, "Wheels", Path.GetFileNameWithoutExtension(zADLocation) + ".zip"), modInfo, moveFiles);

}

else if (modInfo.Type == ModType.Vehicle)

{

ModManager.InstallMod(zADLocation, Path.Combine(this.CarMODgeddonFolder, "Vehicles", Path.GetFileNameWithoutExtension(zADLocation) + ".zip"), modInfo, moveFiles);

}

this.NumModsInstalled++;

this.UpdateStatusBar("Installed " + modInfo.ModName, (int)((float)this.NumModsInstalled / (float)this.NumModsToInstall * 100f), false);

}

else

{

this.UpdateStatusBar("Error: " + Path.GetFileName(zADLocation) + " is not a CarMODgeddon mod!", (int)((float)this.NumModsInstalled / (float)this.NumModsToInstall * 100f), true);

this.NumModsSkipped++;

}

}

else

{

this.UpdateStatusBar("Error: " + Path.GetFileName(zADLocation) + " is not a ZIP file!", (int)((float)this.NumModsInstalled / (float)this.NumModsToInstall * 100f), true);

this.NumModsSkipped++;

}

}

It would a small effort the check if the mods are in an additional zip file or provide a error that tels you that the required files were not found in the expected location of the zap/zip file.
copmac
hit n run

Post by copmac »

help about shows that version is 3.0 and not 4.1

check for updates seems to do nothing. (no message that you have the latest version or what ever)

Extract Zadfiles:

- The button Clear selection doesn't work properly. Select a few items (5 or so) click on clear selection. The selected items are cleared. So far so good.

However as soon you click right in the listbox, your selection is back :-)

- clear selection and select none is for a none native English speaking person almost the same. Uncheck All would represent beter what is happening. Same for select car etc..

- Not sure if that is the purpose: if you highlight a few items (select) and click on the checkbox the are all checked or unchecked depending.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

"It would a small effort the check if the mods are in an additional zip file or provide a error that tels you that the required files were not found in the expected location of the zap/zip file."

Its an even smaller effort to read the "readme" file that came with the zip.

Glancing at your code it looks like it only detects if ZIP files were inside, which you can find out by reading the readme in the original ZIP file. No "why" in the error checking that I can see in your code. Assuming too that Trent did his in what you seem to type up as C++. Its been about 5 years though since I actually wrote a line of code in C++.

Actually wait C++ was 10 years ago since I been doing C Sharp :)

Perhaps you can get a refund :)
copmac
hit n run

Post by copmac »

starbuck wrote:"..

Its an even smaller effort to read the "readme" file that came with the zip.

Glancing at your code it looks like it only detects if ZIP files were inside, which you can find out by reading the readme in the original ZIP file. No "why" in the error checking that I can see in your code. Assuming too that Trent did his in what you seem to type up as C++. Its been about 5 years though since I actually wrote a line of code in C++.

Actually wait C++ was 10 years ago since I been doing C Sharp :)

Lol, i think your C# is rusty as hell too. This is C# code copied directly from the Minge tool.

But put this pointless discussion aside, giving some extra error info is just user friendly.

And not everybody reads the bloody readme (if there is even one).

And not everybody is tech savy to know a ZAD == ZIP.

Anyway. Let but effort to find bugs and provide some suggestions. Don't be a Budweiser. :-p
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Thanks for the bug reports.

The whole ZAD == ZIP thing is fairly irrelevant as the next version fixes the import mod file browser to show ZIPs instead of ZADs.

Possible, I'll add it to my list of future features.

I won't be making it search through non-CarMODgeddon ZIP files for possible CarMODgeddon ZIP files, that's just a recipe for disaster if someone accidentally drops a massive ZIP containing a load of other ZIPs. This issue is more down to the way in which Mike has distributed his mods confusing people than error message being ambiguous. Either a ZIP is in the correct format for CarMODgeddon or it isn't, coding specific edge cases to check for is a waste of time in my opinion. The issue with packaging multiple mods up in one bundle will be solved in a later version when I implement a specific bundle package format.

help about shows that version is 3.0 and not 4.1

check for updates seems to do nothing. (no message that you have the latest version or what ever)
I've finally changed the About dialogue to get the version number text from the actual version number instead of being hardcoded, I kept forgetting I hadn't done that!

I've also now added a message box to say there's no updates when you force it to check for a new version.

Extract Zadfiles:

- The button Clear selection doesn't work properly. Select a few items (5 or so) click on clear selection. The selected items are cleared. So far so good.

However as soon you click right in the listbox, your selection is back :-)

- clear selection and select none is for a none native English speaking person almost the same. Uncheck All would represent beter what is happening. Same for select car etc..

- Not sure if that is the purpose: if you highlight a few items (select) and click on the checkbox the are all checked or unchecked depending.

The first point is actually related to the third point. The default functionality of a ListView with CheckBoxes and MultiSelect both enabled is to tick the boxes of all the selected items when you tick one of them and that's something I like as it means you can quickly select a load of ZADs and tick them in one go. When you have multiple items selected in the ListView and make it lose focus by, for example, clicking on a button it looks like the items are no long selected but they actually are, the ListView only highlights the selected items while it has focus. So, when you have clicked Select None to clear all the CheckBoxes the selected items are still selected, which means when you click on the CheckBox of one of those items they will all get ticked. So it's not really bug, it's just a quirk of the default functionality of the ListView. However I have now made it so when you click on one of the buttons it will deselect any items you have selected in the ListView.

Regarding the terminology, personally I find "Check" to be even more confusing in this context as "Check All" could mean "check all files are correct" rather than "check all checkboxes". I do agree that "Select None" and "Clear Selected" are easy to confuse, but this is mostly down to "Clear Selected" being a CheckBox styled so it looks like it's a button. I've changed it to look like a standard checkbox so this should alleviate the issue.

Other fixes I've done:

Added support for elevating to Administrator privileges if the game's folder is in Program Files (or another restricted folder)

Made sure the mods list clear themselves when changing the game's directory

Made it so when you type in the game directory TextBox it only checks it's the correct directory when it loses focus or you press Enter or Return, instead of every time you type.

Currently I'm changing the settings to use a custom settings file in a common place instead of the built in application settings system. The reason for this is because when the program gets given Administrator privileges it stores it's settings separately to when you run it with standard users privileges, so once you have made it request Admin rights once it will ALWAYS request Admin rights even if you change the game's location. So yeah, gotta roll my own settings system.

Also, before this bug squashing malarkey I had started on a Control Settings editor, so people can remap all the controls not only on the keyboard but also on the gamepad and mouse buttons. Still very much WIP so I'll probably not have it ready for the next release.
a.k.a. Brent
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

I won't be making it search through non-CarMODgeddon ZIP files for possible CarMODgeddon ZIP files, that's just a recipe for disaster if someone accidentally drops a massive ZIP containing a load of other ZIPs. This issue is more down to the way in which Mike has distributed his mods confusing people than error message being ambiguous. Either a ZIP is in the correct format for CarMODgeddon or it isn't, coding specific edge cases to check for is a waste of time in my opinion. The issue with packaging multiple mods up in one bundle will be solved in a later version when I implement a specific bundle package format.

All I am going to say on this subject, upon uploading all of the cars:

• - In the main post: copies of all the Read-Me files (including the install instructions) were added in spoilers titled 'Readme & Update Notes' above where on every car it says 'Download here'

• - There are Read-Mes in every 'master' zip file

• - On the update post on page 19 detailing the new release, I also added a generic set of install instructions to extract the sub-folders

As far as I am concerned, that is adequate documentation.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

'80s Time Warp wrote:All I am going to say on this subject, upon uploading all of the cars:
  • - In the main post: copies of all the Read-Me files (including the install instructions) were added in spoilers titled 'Readme & Update Notes' above where on every car it says 'Download here'

• - There are Read-Mes in every 'master' zip file

• - On the update post on page 19 detailing the new release, I also added a generic set of install instructions to extract the sub-folders

As far as I am concerned, that is adequate documentation.

I totally agree, as far as documentation goes that's plenty, I wasn't meaning that it's explicitly confusing but just that some people can get confused. The issue is more about there always being a higher class of idiot than any idiot-proofing can account for. If someone doesn't read your documentation but has followed the Minge documentation of installing CarMODgeddon ZIP files through Minge's mod installer then they won't understand that they have to extract the contents of your ZIP first to get to the CarMODgeddon ZIPs. This is why I packed my C1 Cars as a RAR file instead of a ZIP to avoid such potential confusion. The mod installer feature was also intended to avoid the need for users to have to put mods in specific places, to make it as idiot-proof as possible as some people just don't seem understand about where things go even with explicit instructions (a similar example: someone recently couldn't get Minge working because he pointed it to the game's Bin folder, not the game's root folder as the instructions and software says to)

Like I said, an upcoming version will have a feature for packing up multiple CarMODgeddon ZIPs in one file, which will be able to be dropped into Minge (or even just double clicked) and it will install all the ZIPs into the correct folder structure automatically. It will be a ZIP file format but probably with it's own file extension to differentiate it (I'm thinking .MingeBag) either with a specific folder structure or possibly a manifest file listing where all the actual ZIPs are in there. The manifest file idea would also give the opportunity for multiple vehicles in one package and let the installer know which ZIPs belong to which vehicles so users can have the option of which to install. The goal is to make the process as straight forward, simple and consistent for the end user as possible.
a.k.a. Brent
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

You're right there, those principles aren't new to me.

Nevertheless I completely over-looked (in my lousy one-tracked, & clearly off-the-ball state of mind) that you are in the midst of 'Moron/Idiot Proofing' Minge. It also doesn't help that I have detected an inference in Copmacs statements that was probably completely unwarranted.
Kejnel
speed freak

Post by Kejnel »

When I start CarMODgeddon from Minge with Disable ZAD parameter, the game crashes on the splash screen with:

"Carmageddon_Reincarnation.exe has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program."

I suspect something is wrong in my folders.
If you want to report bugs or want to ask for features DO NOT USE FORUM FOR THAT! Instead send it to developers HERE: https://carmageddon.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Did you extract all of the ZADs?
a.k.a. Brent
Kejnel
speed freak

Post by Kejnel »

Yes and decoded all LOLs.

This is what I get from the Minge log:

Spoiler:

WARNING! Modified ZADs

[lua]

CLua::modLoad - Could not load "shader_compatibility" from ".\?.lua;"

[lua]

CLua::modLoad - Could not load "shader_carmageddon_defines" from ".\?.lua;"

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

[lua]

If you want to report bugs or want to ask for features DO NOT USE FORUM FOR THAT! Instead send it to developers HERE: https://carmageddon.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
Kejnel
speed freak

Post by Kejnel »

OK, I deleted the whole folder and did ZAD unpack again and it works now.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Update news time! Custom config is working nicely now, the User-mode/Admin-mode swapping now plays ball and I might actually get the controller config editor working in time for the next release. Here's a preview of it so far:
a.k.a. Brent
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

For those interested in using Wheels, do you think the controller config will start working for wheels ?

EDIT I mean wheels and pedals.
copmac
hit n run

Post by copmac »

Trent, looking good.

I like your work a lot.

ps: you know you can write & sign in your title form right?

I mean Mod Installer & General Enabler

just put && and it writes &.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

starbuck wrote:For those interested in using Wheels, do you think the controller config will start working for wheels ?

EDIT I mean wheels and pedals.

Wheels get detected by the game as gamepads so as long as you choose the right input options it would work, but it won't be any different to setting things manually in the txt files. Just a thought, was the problems you guys have with the pedals due to the axises not being separated or something like that? Which axis are the pedals working on?

If it's the axises of either stick then what you can do is set [ACCELERATE] to LStick_Y, LStick_X, RStick_Y or RStick_X (depending on which axis it's on) and that will translate the + and - of that axis to accelerate or brake. Similar you can set [STEER_RIGHT] to LStick_X for steering on the axis instead of setting both LSTICK_RIGHT and LSTICK_LEFT. If the pedal axis is the trigger axis then unfortunately they can only be set to LT and RT as XInput takes either trigger as a separate 0 to 1 axis instead of a single -1 to 1 axis.

I'd love to try it out with a wheel and a proper joystick but unfortunately I don't have a wheel and my only proper joystick is an forcefeedback one from the late 90's which doesn't have a driver compatible with modern systems. It's so old these are the lofty minimum specs needed to use it:

Spoiler:

IBM compatible PC with Pentium 166 or higher processor

At least 16MB RAM

At least 25MB available hard disk space

So, yeah, if anyone can give me a wheel or joystick I can give firmer answers about making it work, but currently I can only speculate based on my general gamepad research.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention, I'm planning on having Minge hook XInput itself so when you're assigning gamepad/wheel/joystick commands you can just hit the button/axis/whatever and it will apply the correct input setting for it.

copmac wrote:Trent, looking good.

I like your work a lot.

ps: you know you can write & sign in your title form right?

I mean Mod Installer & General Enabler

just put && and it writes &.

Thanks, dude!

And yup, I'm aware of that. It's a stylistic choice, the title deliberately uses 'N' instead of & to make it clearly spell Minge :)
a.k.a. Brent

Check who’s online