Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

80s Time Warps Used Cars. [Old Topic now locked]

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
Fuelinjectedsuicidemachine
hit n run

80s Time Warps Used Cars. [REL] 29 Vehicles. Texture update now out.

Post by Fuelinjectedsuicidemachine »

You could try Psyrgery's balance tweaks. I enjoy the damage distribution more with it than vanilla, even if it makes the game too easy sometimes, because your car can absorb a lot of damage compared to original. Also you still can set up car durability to your liking in the structures data and speed in setup.lol.
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

I'm having much fun with those, 80s Time Warp! The damage model really shines on them, too. They deform nicely, while still being tough to bring down. Can't wait for the next bunch! :)
Thanks :) The next one may be a while away, depending on when CarMODgeddon gets expanded. When the time comes, there will be plenty of new iron.

Somehow i got the old versions working with new minge, not sure how, changed engine names. Worth downloading the new ones instead?

Anyway that cop car gave me nostalgic flashbacks of the handling in DRIVER back in the day, the only game that made cars drive like they did in 80's action movies, man it slides and jumps and lands just right.

Then i tried Hevy impaler (favorite carma car) and didn't get to try the others yet cause damn its good.

I wish i could fiddle with the damage and speed settings like in carma2 though, sometimes it's so hit&miss, like your car is cardboard and theirs is solid granite. Also want to replace that v8 sound with a real roaring one.

I would strongly recommend downloading the new versions. In addition to the functional updates to get the cars working with CMD in the best possible way (custom trailer tow-bar, in-car camera, sounds, basic UI text, material updates, etc), all cars have new damage textures, new tire textures, and more custom wheels (except the quarantine cab & Leadpumper), among many other small changes.

Thank you for the kind words on the handling. That is the style I aim for.

If you are finding that the cars seem weak, Make sure to install APO upgrades to match the maximum level you have unlocked in the career. The AI automatically receive the maximum level upgrades that have been unlocked, irrespective of how the player configures their own car. The APO upgrades instantly warp all aspects of car performance & strength. For example, the maximum offensive upgrade multiplies the base offensive value on each car by a factor of 2.85, which means that an Eagle with a max offensive upgrade will do almost as much damage as a stock Lumberer. This can easily make any strong car seem very weak. Personally, in my game, I have overridden the settings of the APO upgrades, so no-matter what upgrades are installed - the cars remain stock.

Nonetheless, If you would like to alter the strength, that can be done by editing the GeneralDefence, CarDefence & Offence values in the structure.xml, you can also tweak the strength of each weld on each part, and the crushability, stiffness & resilience of each car part. FYI, once you've altered the cars from my release versions, you won't be able to use those in CarMODgeddon Multiplayer, as that will cause a data mis-match.

If you'd like to use a different engine sound, you can change that in the vehicle_setup.cfg, however you can only use the stock/official engine sounds, As far as I know, custom engine sounds cannot be added at this time.
Just another '80s Dreamer....
Twitter Manifestation. - Mods for Max Damage.
Please do not use my old/deadname.
Leatherface 74
pedestrian

Post by Leatherface 74 »

Can i make a suggestion 80s Time Warp ?

Just a small thing, I changed the Horn of the Moth truck to the rig o' mortis horn and i must say, the Truck sounds more menacing . .
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Just a small thing, I changed the Horn of the Moth truck to the rig o' mortis horn and i must say, the Truck sounds more menacing . .

You certainly can, although that change has already been made on the WIP new version ;)
Leatherface 74
pedestrian

Post by Leatherface 74 »

'80s Time Warp wrote:

You certainly can, although that change has already been made on the WIP new version ;)

Ok, thats nice :) .

Another suggestion then maybe ?

Maybe include the Rig O Mortis rims with the Moth Truck ?
flykas
turbo bastard

Post by flykas »

Hey nice work '80s Time Warp.

I like the video and especially the intro, its rare that you see nice intro video these days :]

Also is the trailer heavy enough ? It seems that the truck stopped pretty easily.
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

I wasn't planning on adding the Rig O Mortis Wheels as an option. The new version of the '72 Moth Truck does have 6 more sets of wheels (Stock & Custom wheels from several new trucks) over the last release.

Spoiler: Wheels, wheels, and more wheels...

FL-1000

Road Wreckers

Rhino Trakker

Wasteland Warrior

Rusty Relic

Steel Survivor

I like the video and especially the intro, its rare that you see nice intro video these days :]

Also is the trailer heavy enough ? It seems that the truck stopped pretty easily.

With regards to mass, the Hexagon Tanker weighs in at 14000 Kg, versus the U Got Gas Tanker at 8000 Kg. I might take another look at the brake force values, I was under the impression that those were an absolute deceleration torque, but it could also done per unit of mass, which would make the brakes considerably stronger when a vehicle/trailer possesses a higher mass.

Also for reference, some of the other trailers for '72 Moth Truck:

• Single axle dry van - 7000 Kg

• Dual axle flatbed with detachable container - 18000 Kg (container reduces trailer mass by 1/2 when detached)

• Dual axle dry van (mobile trap) - 10000 Kg

Leatherface 74
pedestrian

Post by Leatherface 74 »

'80s Time Warp wrote:

I wasn't planning on adding the Rig O Mortis Wheels as an option. The new version of the '72 Moth Truck does have 6 more sets of wheels (Stock & Custom wheels from several new trucks) over the last release.

Spoiler: Wheels, wheels, and more wheels...

FL-1000

Road Wreckers

Rhino Trakker

Wasteland Warrior

Rusty Relic

Steel Survivor

With regards to mass, the Hexagon Tanker weighs in at 14000 Kg, versus the U Got Gas Tanker at 8000 Kg. I might take another look at the brake force values, I was under the impression that those were an absolute deceleration torque, but it could also done per unit of mass, which would make the brakes considerably stronger when a vehicle/trailer possesses a higher mass.

Also for reference, some of the other trailers for '72 Moth Truck:

• Single axle dry van - 7000 Kg

• Dual axle flatbed with detachable container - 18000 Kg (container reduces trailer mass by 1/2 when detached)

• Dual axle dry van (mobile trap) - 10000 Kg

I haven't said a thing .

Nice work '80s Time Warp .
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

EDIT: A little teaser of the 'Regulation' Semi Trailer set that will be used in Part III.

There could be even more trailers by the time these see release, depending on when CarMODgeddon gets expanded.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Meanwhile at the Duke Farm,

Uncle Jessie is still trying to feed cheese to his computer mouse.

Damn all I am at is a few squares you can see thru on my map. You guys are making me feel so old with your young ideas and your video games.

Makes me think of the kids on ST TNG who are complaining about taking advanced math courses on warp theory while I am trying to find out what a trapezoid is. Hmmmm Trapezoids. :P

Nice work. And You whippersnappers get off of my lawn !
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Thanks Starbuck :)

Since Part II (Vigilante 8 Rebuilds) is essentially done now, focus has shifted back to big rigs. As such, here's something else I've been working on that might make it into Part III with all of the other trucks.

Sleep Dirt
hit n run

Post by Sleep Dirt »

Wow, that chunk of metal on the front is hardcore! Well nice rust n weathering detail, that monster pulling up in the rear view would give anyone a heart attack!

Those V8's too! Proper rad stuff!
The Ocean Is the Ultimate Solution.
AlexTSK
mindless

Post by AlexTSK »

That truck's looking neat 80s Time Warp, iRay in substance painter sure is nice! I'm hoping to buy it for Maya soon to use it to its full potential, its a pity that it has sucha limited use in SP but alas, better than the preview :)
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Wow, that chunk of metal on the front is hardcore! Well nice rust n weathering detail, that monster pulling up in the rear view would give anyone a heart attack!

Those V8's too! Proper rad stuff!

Unsurprisingly, that was almost my exact thought on the truck hehe.

That truck's looking neat 80s Time Warp, iRay in substance painter sure is nice! I'm hoping to buy it for Maya soon to use it to its full potential, its a pity that it has sucha limited use in SP but alas, better than the preview :)
Thanks Alex. IRay certainly makes it look a whole lot prettier, plus it's far better (& quicker) than any Mental Ray render I was ever able to get out of 3dsmax.
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

ok... I like this!

here is more detail feedback so far:

Spoiler:

HOLYFUCKINGSHIT! THIS IS BEST FUCKING TRUCK I have seen for any carmageddon in history of carmageddons! Tripple fucking wheels? Rusty weathered look, massive bullbars (kangaroo bars?) I NEED THIS IN MY GAME TOO! NAOW!

If something has the power to make me get back to CMD it is amazing mods like this!

so yeh ... good job dud =D
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Cheers CzechDeath! I thought you might like the Rigger. It sits more-or-less right in the middle of my Heavyweight Vehicle selection :)

_________________________________________________________________________________

Also, I'm generally content with the adjustments I've made to the plow, so here's the modified structure.xml for the plow.

Custom Plow Structure

(Reconfigured Bucket Animation)

Key Features:

• - Relocated Bucket joint from the bucket to the Bucket Arm

• - Animated the hydraulic Rams attached to either side of the bucket

• - Re-enabled vehicle to vehicle collisions so the bucket can be used to lift/push/fling other vehicles in certain conditions

Spoiler: Readme

_________________________________________________________________________________

Carmageddon Max Damage Vehicle Tweaks: Plows' Bucket Overhaul

By '80s Time Warp

Setup for Carmageddon Max Damage! This may NOT work in Carmageddon Reincarnation!

Thanks to:

- Stainless Games for bringing Carmageddon Back

Known issues:

Due to the 'always jointed' nature of the bucket, it is possible that if you initiate a 'full repair' (double tap the repair button) that the plow will go into an infinite repair loop (repair cost will keep rising), however pausing the game will stop it.

Installation:

For if you're running Carmageddon Max Damage unpacked with 'ZADs' disabled

• 1] Make a backup of the 'structure.xml' for the plow

• 2] Extract the 'structure.xml' from this archive to the plows folder

• 3] Run the game

For If you're running the game packed with 'ZADs' enabled

• 1] Make a backup of 'Scripts.zad', make sure to place the backup outside of the 'ZAD' Folder

• 2] Open 'Scripts.zad', and navigate to -> Vehicles -> Plow

• 3] Override the 'structure.xml' with the one from this archive

• 4] Run the game

NOTE: Use of this will trigger the games cheat protection, which will lock-out multiplayer, and also stop the career from saving.

Download

NOTE: Download only contains the structure.xml

Spoiler: Video/More Images

Furthermore, I am going to to update all vehicles, including those from "Attack of the V8s Part 1" so that they will make use of PBR-derived textures for their exterior 'paint'. However, as there is currently an issue with GibbedTools screwing with the quality of normal maps, that might delay the release. With this in mind, my to-do list just got a lot longer.
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

woooow! could you make it compatible with beautiful Psyrgery's Damage balance tweak in the future? I've tried it yesterday and it is awesome. Dunnow which one parameters he edited in structure so maybe it will be an issue in case combining bucket with his mod
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

nevermind, i have tested this feature and it's awesome. lil bit tricky to toss someone from the flat surface though but it is nice to have rather than not
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Thanks. :)

EDIT: Progress is slow, but the process of replacing paint textures with PBR derived material is under-way. Here's a comparison of the old & new setup on the Hevy Impalers stock paint scheme.

NOTE: Normal maps are still screwed up, so there are a lot of unwanted artifacts creating an almost digital camouflage ripple effect in the paint.
Old:

New:

Old:

New:
helomyname
turbo bastard

Post by helomyname »

God damn it still amazes me how much of an excellent job your cars are. I like this far more than CMD's one!
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Thank you very much, that's very kind of you :)

I've found a temporary workaround to the normal map issue, using Gibbed.Duels.TdxConvert.exe directly to convert the normal maps without any compression. This way, I can at least get a look at what the cars should look like once the issues with the normal map conversions have been resolved. So, here are some more before and after paint comparisons, this time for the Blood Riviera. This also serves as a good comparison of the light textures & the shader/s that are/were being used.
Old Paint:

New Paint:

Old Paint:

New Paint:

Additionally the Callahan Cab, Hevy Impaler, Hick Pickup & Leadpumper have come together nicely. Asides from possibly softening the base metal finish on the paintwork, these are mostly final.

Spoiler: Additional Blood Riviera Images

Spoiler: Callahan Cab

Spoiler: Hevy Impaler

Spoiler: Hick Pickup

Spoiler: Leadpumper

Fuelinjectedsuicidemachine
hit n run

Post by Fuelinjectedsuicidemachine »

Wow, the bodywork looks much more metally now. That's a much appreciated improvement of your models, 80s Time Warp, they look so good!
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Thank you very much :)
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

UUUUh shiny =D
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Time for another big image dump. After having made lots of tweaks to my base crumple map that is used as the basis of all damaged normal maps, the damage textures are looking better than ever. Whilst it is not perfect, it is now at a level I am content with. Some of the following images show the damage textures being temporarily used in place of the regular textures for testing purposes only.

Spoiler:

Also, with the main texture overhaul for Part I complete, now work on Part II is commencing, starting with the '72 Moth Truck. There's still a few pre-shading details missing on the air horns & stacks, but otherwise it's coming along.

Old Paint:

New Paint:

Old Paint:

New Paint:

Spoiler: More pictures

Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

All these new paints look very good, 80s Time Warp.

Keep it up :)
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
pileup
turbo bastard

Post by pileup »

Damn 80s Time Warp, those new paint jobs add a lotta life to the cars, nice detail!
running people over.. so many peds so little time...
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Sorry for the late response guys, I'm spending so much time working on the cars that I keep failing to check back here.

Anyway, the Vigilante 8 Rebuilds are now just about up to scratch (including all of the new ones).

Spoiler: Images

Whilst most of the trailers for the '72 Moth Truck already made use of PBR derived textures, these have been updated to make use of the better export process.

Also, due to issues that were being caused by the 'Always Jointed' Interior door within the Mobile Trap, I've replaced it with a secondary internal ramp, that has a vertical back wall to stop cars getting out instead. The ramp still needs proper textures as it's just re-using the texture space from the old interior door for now.

Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Always Jointed are evil. If they're attached to (or able to hit) crushable parts then they will constantly damage the part and not repair correctly which is a pain in the arse.
a.k.a. Brent
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Interestingly, that wasn't the exact problem I was having with the internal door. The big issue, which only manifested in some levels, was that as soon as the trailer spawned, it would fling itself across the map, sometimes taking the truck with it, and sometimes badly damaging one or both. Odds are the issue I was having did pertain to the inner door damaging something. Either way it's moot now :)
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

On those previous truck picture I OD notice the chrome on the gas tanks for example reflect better. Looks nice. Chrome and glass materials were my favorite texture since T2. One reason my first 3D modeling tools were from a box with a toaster reflection on the box. Bought it , the hell with the rent :P

Will the stuff have any "notice ability" with Nvidia cards ?

I think the bus signs should say "Floor the pedal when lights flash" but I would want to avoid any future lawsuits :P

Nice exhaust look in the first "spoiler number 6" at the back of the bus
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

On those previous truck picture I OD notice the chrome on the gas tanks for example reflect better. Looks nice. Chrome and glass materials were my favorite texture since T2. One reason my first 3D modeling tools were from a box with a toaster reflection on the box. Bought it , the hell with the rent :P

Will the stuff have any "notice ability" with Nvidia cards ?

Thanks Starbuck, I'm not sure what you mean by "Notice ability" with Nvidia Cards, could you clarify that for me?

I think the bus signs should say "Floor the pedal when lights flash" but I would want to avoid any future lawsuits :P

Nice exhaust look in the first "spoiler number 6" at the back of the bus

I might have to change the decals on one of the paint jobs to that, hehe.

The only worthwhile progress for now is that the tires for Big Dump R have been updated, again. These will be the final ones going forward.

Also, just for the sake of it - "Warning: World Accessories can be closer and more Dangerous than they appear!"

Otherwise, the specular maps for the paint materials on all vehicles & trailers have been re-exported, as there was something I hadn't done correctly. Tire & wheel textures (for the handful of wheels that use PBR-derived textures), also need the same tweaks. Once that is cleared, the PBR derived texture overhaul is complete and I can start moving forward with the extra cars for Part I to go with the update.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Notice Ability = writers block. Which happens almost every day now. :P

Visibility ? Being rendered on an obsolete Nvidia card ? hows that ?
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Ok, that makes sense now.

Short Answer:

When compared to the official vehicles, all of my vehicles typically take up less space, as texture usage and triangle count on my cars is generally* lower across the board. If you can run the base content fine, then there should be no issues with my vehicles.

Long (and boring) Answer:

Excluding alternate paint jobs and their associated normal & specular maps, the texture size on disk required by my each of my vehicles is generally* around 60-66 megabytes. This is comparable or considerably less than most of the official cars. For reference, this the texture size on disk for some of the official vehicles (also excluding alternate paint jobs):

• APC - 90.7 Mb

• Eagle R - 133 Mb

• Hevy Impaler - 71 Mb

• Lumberer - 136 Mb

• Plow - 181 Mb

• Rig O Mortis- 143 Mb

• Squad Car / CU:NT - 41 Mb

• Volkswerker - 146 Mb

If the modding mode gets expanded, and supports shared textures, then the individual size across all of my cars could be reduced by 10 megabytes. I would also add, that the texture file size for my vehicles quoted above is with normal maps that are not compressed. Once compressed, it will save another 22 megabytes of file space on each of my cars for the base/stock paint.

Granted, some of my vehicles have up to four different paint finishes, each with their own normal/specular maps. Despite this, file size on disk is still generally lower than the official vehicles.

* - Applies to all of my vehicles, except for Big Dump R & two other heavyweight vehicles that have 4K Textures
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Small update to the custom Plow structure

Custom Plow Structure V1.1

(Reconfigured Bucket Animation)

V1.1 Updates:

• - Fixed the infinite repair loop

• - Tweaked angles of the joint so the bucket can drop down lower
    This allows the bucket to get under cars a little easier

• - Added Ganged breaks to Bucket Arm, so the rams should break off when the bucket arm does

Spoiler: Readme

Carmageddon Max Damage Vehicle Tweaks: Plows' Bucket Overhaul

By '80s Time Warp

Setup for Carmageddon Max Damage! This may NOT work in Carmageddon Reincarnation!

Thanks to:

- Stainless Games for bringing Carmageddon Back

Version 1.1 updates:

• - Fixed the infinite repair loop

• - Tweaked angles of the joint so the bucket can drop down lower

• - Added Ganged breaks to Bucket Arm, so the rams should break off when the bucket arm does

Version 1.0 Notes

• - Relocated Bucket joint from the bucket to the Bucket Arm

• - Animated the hydraulic Rams attached to either side of the bucket

• - Re-enabled vehicle to vehicle collisions so the bucket can be used to lift/push/fling other vehicles in certain conditions

Installation:
NOTE: Install method differs from previous version, both files must be installed or the game will crash.

For if you're running Carmageddon Max Damage unpacked with 'ZADs' disabled

1. Make a backup of the 'structure.xml' & 'c_BucketArm.MDL' for the plow

2. Extract the 'structure.xml' & 'c_BucketArm.MDL' from this archive to the plows folder

3. Run the game

For If you're running the game packed with 'ZADs' enabled

1. Make a backup of 'Scripts.zad' & 'vehicle_plow.zad', make sure to place the backups outside of the 'ZAD' Folder

2. Open 'Scripts.zad', and navigate to -> Vehicles -> Plow

3. Override the 'structure.xml' with the one from this archive

4. Open 'vehicle_plow.zad', and navigate to -> Vehicles -> Plow

5. Override the 'c_BucketArm.MDL' with the one from this archive

6. Run the game

NOTE: Use of this will trigger the games cheat protection, which will lock-out multiplayer, and also stop the career from saving.

Download

NOTE: Download contains the structure.xml & one model part. Both items must be installed or the game will crash.

Spoiler: Video/More Images

Also, going forward, the plan is to build two new vehicles to go with the update to "Attack of the V8s Part I". Once the update for Part I is out, "Attack of the V8s Part II: Vigilante 8 rebuilds" will also be released, but this will be without the custom trailers for the '72 Moth Truck, unless the modding mode has been expanded by then.

In the mean time, here's a preview of the almost complete Hevy Sonoma Stocker.

The second vehicle, code named 'Hone My Hill Cave' will be going into production soon.

Check who’s online