Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Checkpoints

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Chimieltje
mechanic

Checkpoints

Post by Chimieltje »

After a couple of questions and changes and much help about this nice game.. e.g. car steering, traction, peds, glide options etcetera.. I am struggling with one tiny thing which annoys me..

Funny detail: Back in 1998 I was not aware of this flaw.. Noticed it yesterday for the first time.

Does someone know how to set the Checkpoints check at 0 at the start of each race? It really annoys me that, while racing, the 1st CP on the track is marked as 2nd CP an so on while racing through.

So it looks at the end if there is one Useless CP.

[E.G. For the first race Cp 1 becomes Cp 2/4 while it must be 1/4]

Removing Checkpoints in the textfiles at each race (Data/Races/levelname) does not solve the problem.. it only cuts the amount of Cp's but starts still at 1.

Cheers, Chimieltje
starbuck
kill boss

Checkpoints

Post by starbuck »

Chimieltje wrote:After a couple of questions and changes and much help about this nice game.. e.g. car steering, traction, peds, glide options etcetera.. I am struggling with one tiny thing which annoys me..

Funny detail: Back in 1998 I was not aware of this flaw.. Noticed it yesterday for the first time.

Does someone know how to set the Checkpoints check at 0 at the start of each race? It really annoys me that, while racing, the 1st CP on the track is marked as 2nd CP an so on while racing through.

So it looks at the end if there is one Useless CP.

[E.G. For the first race Cp 1 becomes Cp 2/4 while it must be 1/4]

Removing Checkpoints in the textfiles at each race (Data/Races/levelname) does not solve the problem.. it only cuts the amount of Cp's but starts still at 1.

Cheers, Chimieltje

dont know if this helps, its been a while but you need to reword the TYPE of race it is in the textfile. That will make the CP section obsolete.

Check the text from another type of race file to see what to remove.
Chimieltje
mechanic

Checkpoints

Post by Chimieltje »

In races.txt there is indeed an opportunity to change race type

0 = carma1 (means you can choose smash cars, peds or race checkpoint laps)

1 = only cars

2 = only peds

3 = checkpoints

4 = smash

but if you meant to change here to option 3, i could only race laps and no smashing peds and cars..

[edited race type into 3 for level 1 but the game crashes. if i set it back to 0 it works again without problems]

[even the mission at group 1, boulder dash, which is a checkpoints race have the problem.]
starbuck
kill boss

Checkpoints

Post by starbuck »

Somewhere out there is a "mission removing" mod. Try that . Most likely here https://rr2000.cwaboard.co.uk/pc-files

If I remember correctly I liked using the SMASH option.
starbuck
kill boss

Checkpoints

Post by starbuck »

If you edit the text file wrong the game will crash. But I remember an Nvidia option to show the reason of the crash in a messagebox , but as I said it has been a while.(3dfx mode? or something like that)

Like for example having one extra line or letter in the text file blank when it should have text (example 1.1 instead of 1.15) . The game is very picky there. Try downloading the General Editor so as not to screw up your Races.txt file. etc.

And Toshiba thinks I forgot about him :P
Chimieltje
mechanic

Checkpoints

Post by Chimieltje »

don't want to remove races or missions..

Simply told i want only see a 1 changed in a 0 so the levels correctly registrates the checkpoints. Only question is.. in which file is that stored?

e.g race must be starting with cp 0/× not 1/× (where × is amount of laps)

it is not in the file carma2/data/races.txt neither in all textfiles in all level folders [carma2/data/races/levelnames]

please try it yourself starting at level 1, you see what i meant....

as here

starbuck
kill boss

Checkpoints

Post by starbuck »

Pretty sure you cant make a Checkpoint Race with no checkpoints.

Try the Rcaename.txt files in each separate racename TWT. Use TWT extractor and then delete the TWT file you extracted. Also you can possibly edit the amount of laps
Chimieltje
mechanic

Checkpoints

Post by Chimieltje »

You get me wrong i think.. When the race starts the CP check must be 0, when driving through the 1st Cp then it should be 1/4.

Now Cp 1 checks as Cp2.. that is So wrong

i dont want to remove.. and it has nothing to do with editing amount of laps or cp's. problem still remains however ..
Chimieltje
mechanic

Checkpoints

Post by Chimieltje »

Another Example.

Hurdles.

after shooting:

A sprinter (runner) runs an amount of meters before he jumps over the first hurdle. At that point the hurdles counts 1

Read the cars as sprinters and the Cps as hurdles..
starbuck
kill boss

Checkpoints

Post by starbuck »

Chimieltje wrote:You get me wrong i think.. When the race starts the CP check must be 0, when driving through the 1st Cp then it should be 1/4.

Now Cp 1 checks as Cp2.. that is So wrong

i dont want to remove.. and it has nothing to do with editing amount of laps or cp's. problem still remains however ..

I assume you are confusing LAPS with CPs. It happens to me when going thru the first map in CR. I cant remember seeing the CPs count up during racing. Or I just never looked. Perhaps its labeling the next checkpoint ?

As i said though it MAY help . sorry if i was confused.
starbuck
kill boss

Checkpoints

Post by starbuck »

Trying painfully to get GOG running. Pain in the ass programmers :(
Chimieltje
mechanic

Checkpoints

Post by Chimieltje »

No problem. i have the vanilla c2 release to play with these days. game still one of my favourites. :)

Hope someone have the solution
starbuck
kill boss

Checkpoints

Post by starbuck »

I have about 10 of them :)
Errol
Toxic Ranger

Checkpoints

Post by Errol »

Chimieltje, there isn't a solution to this as there isn't a problem.

You're thinking of it as checkpoints completed but it is actually next checkpoint. When you start a race with 4 checkpoints you're aiming at 1/4.

If there was some way to fix this it wouldn't be via text file but would require modding the exe itself.
:: You wanna build a snowman mod C:R? Get Flummery, the Carmageddon modders tool. ::
Chimieltje
mechanic

Checkpoints

Post by Chimieltje »

Thanks. Didn't overlooked it this way. After all it sounds logical :)
Chimieltje
mechanic

Checkpoints

Post by Chimieltje »

starbuck wrote:If you edit the text file wrong the game will crash. But I remember an Nvidia option to show the reason of the crash in a messagebox , but as I said it has been a while.(3dfx mode? or something like that)

Like for example having one extra line or letter in the text file blank when it should have text (example 1.1 instead of 1.15) . The game is very picky there. Try downloading the General Editor so as not to screw up your Races.txt file. etc.

For the fun I edited Newcity.txt .. which is in fact the first level. (C:\Program Files (x86)\carmageddon 2\Data\RACES\newcity1) Now I am racing 180 degrees the other way and I switched all checkpoint points 1 is now 4 and 2 is 3 3 is 2 and 4 is 1.. Turned the car grid 180 degrees... works flawless.

and some more Peds per 100 square metres .. :)
starbuck
kill boss

Checkpoints

Post by starbuck »

Chimieltje wrote:
starbuck wrote:If you edit the text file wrong the game will crash. But I remember an Nvidia option to show the reason of the crash in a messagebox , but as I said it has been a while.(3dfx mode? or something like that)

For the fun I edited Newcity.txt .. which is in fact the first level. (C:\Program Files (x86)\carmageddon 2\Data\RACES\newcity1) Now I am racing 180 degrees the other way and I switched all checkpoint points 1 is now 4 and 2 is 3 3 is 2 and 4 is 1.. Turned the car grid 180 degrees... works flawless.

and some more Peds per 100 square metres .. :)

I love having more peds :)

Check who’s online