Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Making Carmageddon playable on Android 4.X.X (kind of)

Chat about funsize Carmageddon for Android and iOS!
macacom
turbo bastard

Post by macacom »

Hey there! I'm a big fan of Carmageddon and I also encountered problems to play the game on Android 4.X.X. I've managed to find out some solutions after a lot of testing and the game is, at least, now playable, and I'd like to share them.

Just a reminder: this solutions are like duck-taping loose eletrical wire, it's not a definitive solution, but it helps for a while. English is not my nature language, so I might mispell some words. And I don't have technical knowledge on Android systems, so everything was discovered by trial and error.

Know that, let's talk what really matters:

Problems:

the electro-bastard ray or playing with Stella Stunna problem

Explanation: the game would crash after killing the first few peds at the same time, usually 4 or more.
Consideration: the way it crashes seems to be an overload on the Android processing data, maybe a multi-task going wrong.
Solution: following ALL these steps:

1 - Phone should be maintained charged between 40 to 100%. the exact time it drops to 39% it started to crash, rarely it crashed on 49%, 1 out of 100 tries;

2 - "Power Saving" option should be activated at all times. I can't explain why, but before using it the game would crash even fully charged. After that, it only crashed when the battery was 39% and rarely in the beginning of the race;

3 - If playing with Stella, always stay on the fifth or sixth position. Since killing the flagman BEFORE the race counter finishes seems to make the game crash almost everytime;

If these three steps are taken simultaneously the game won't crash, due to "electrical" issues.

Losing control of the car or the pedals not responding

Explanation: while playing sometimes the pedals on the screen stop responding, out of nothing and you lose control of your car;
Consideration: it almost always happened after 10 to 30 minutes of unstop playing, with the screen heated (at least on Galaxy)
Solution: following ALL these steps:

1 - Pause the game or quit after 20 or 30 minutes of play. It seems Android need some time to "recover" after unstopped work;

2 - Cleaning the screen with a smooth cloth. Sweat and long pressing on the same spot seem to make the screen less responding. Pausing the game and cleaning the screen help, but won't work everytime (be careful with what you put on your phone screen, since some materials can damage it);

3 - Press than press and hold the pedal that it's not working. The double press! Only works 30-40% of the time when the bad response starts. Usually, it works on the first try, when it works; hence double-double pressing and beyond almost never helps.

4 - Make more free space between the pedals in the screen. Repositioning and separating all of them, letting more space among each other, made the problem appear less often, but it's still there.

All these steps together, really made the problem stop appearing too often or at least helped solve it when it happens. Also, on Galaxy S4 mini when the screen gets too heated, the pedals don't work! Forcing the player to quit and wait for the cooldown.

Final considerations:

a) Most of these tests were made on Galaxy S4 Mini, some were made in other phones that run Android 4.X.X;

b) I've done 100+ tests on Galaxy itself, not counting the other phones;

c) Every level was played at least once, some of them repeatedly to confirm the solutions;

d) All the tests were made with the phone NOT wired to any source of energy, since it seems to make the phone "confuse" with an energy wire, specially if it's on an usb port;

e) Even taking all those steps, the game will, once in a while, crash, but on very few times;

f) I was able to play it straight for more than a hour, sometimes spending 30+ minutes in the same level;

g) The game only worked when ALL the steps were followed, since even with the "Power Saving" on, when the battery dropped to 39% or less the game would crash after getting electro-bastard ray, playing with Stella or hitting 4 or more peds at once (in Coastal Carnage, specially);

h) As said before, I can't technically explain how these steps help, but they do. And the game is now playable, at least. It won't damage your phone, since none of them require you to altern any file of the game or the operational system.
Guardo o mundo na mão: e o mundo que se foda
shane
Stainless

Post by shane »

Thanks for reporting your findings macacom - I'll pass these onto the team to look into further.
Ex-Carmageddon Community Manager - Carmageddon.com
macacom
turbo bastard

Post by macacom »

No problem, Shane. One can never get too much Carmageddon : )
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

HP Slate 7 plus tablet running android 4.2.2

+1 for the screen cleaning and pedal spacing tip. :)
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
swaaye
pedestrian

Post by swaaye »

I've had success with Carmageddon all the way up to Android 6. Some builds of Android just have more problems with it than others. The device itself and its kernel drivers probably play a part too.
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

So you think Stella charge her batteries from Android device? LOL

Hey Shane, could you ask the team to fix that stupid rule in Android version? - Car collisions - I posted this here somewhere, but once again - no matter who hit who the profits came to player, this is really annoying, thank you.

PS. I'm still playing the demo, since I don't want such stupid game ;) So please fix the demo either ;)
macacom
turbo bastard

Post by macacom »

QTZ wrote:So you think Stella charge her batteries from Android device? LOL
Quite clever! ; )

Check who’s online