Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Modding on Android

Chat about funsize Carmageddon for Android and iOS!
HansSchmucker
driver

Modding on Android

Post by HansSchmucker »

Just to make it absolutely clear: I really only had a quick look and just thought creating a thread would be a good idea so that we don't do the same stuff over and over again. A lot of what I'm writing are just first guesses, nothing more.

It seems that Carma on Android is moddable. The data itself is not in the APK (which mostly contains video and music). Instead it's in an OBB file at Android/obb/com.stainlessgames.carmageddon.

I don't really know anything about that Opaque Binary Blobs as Google calls them. From the documentation it looks like they are supposed to be mountable partition images with optional encryption. But looking at the various OBB files on my sd card it looks more like people are using the OBB delivery mechanism to store whatever they want on sd. The carma obb is definitely not encrypted, that much can be verified with a quick search for the WAV magic word RIFF, but Google's JOBB tool still can't mount it. Looking at it in a hex editor, it doesn't look like any partition format I know. It does contain a magic word at the very end "[version]..1320", which I don't recognize either. The beginning could be a magic word or not, but I don't recognize it either. It's just 0x01000000 three times.

After that it says "DATA_ANDROID.WAD(" , which sounds like the whole OBB file is just a dummy container for this homemade WAD format. WAD is not really a specific format, today it's really just an alias for "simple uncompressed file table" (WAD apparently stands for "Where's All the Data?" according to Wikipedia... I honestly didn't know that).

After that there's a long list of file names and after that there's a table of what looks like 64bit numbers, probably offsets.

That's all I've gathered so far. It looks promising, but of course there could be checksums or other mechanisms for preventing modifications.
HansSchmucker
driver

Modding on Android

Post by HansSchmucker »

Just looked at it again.

The basic format is like this:

At 0x38 there's a list of 0 terminated strings that ends with an additional 0. Those are the file names

Then comes a table of 64 bit values

Then another one with 32 bit values

And finally another one with 128 bit values.

After that comes the data.

Now, these values are in little-endian format. The second table seems to contain offsets. There are two WAVE files in the package that can be easily identified by their RIFF header. They start at 8FC198 and 9b5a70. That's 98c18f and 705a9b in little-endian format. The second table contains the values 6CC18F and 445a9b. That's suspiciously close... 0x2C too small both times, which is exactly our filename-table offset minus the number of bytes before "DATA_ANDROID.WAD". So we can be reasonably sure that it's the offset.

What stumps me is the number of entries:

There are 4436 offset and the same number in the bullshit64 table. There are 4675 entries in the bullshit128 table, but since I don't know what it is, that could easily be wrong and in any case it's reasonably close.

However... there are only 2911 filenames for these 4436 entries!?!
HansSchmucker
driver

Modding on Android

Post by HansSchmucker »

About the bullshit64 table:

The last 32bit are just a counter, that much is clear.

Bytes 0x01-0x03 are almost always 62 9A 42. That 42 seems fixed, but the 62 9a sometimes turns into 9F A3, 66 9E, 81 A7, A0 A3, 0B 9E, 0B A5 or 9C 9A. The first byte appears to always be in the 0x20-0x2E range, except when bytes 0x01-0x03 are not 62 9A 42, and the entries appear to somehow be grouped by this.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Modding on Android

Post by Toshiba-3 »

There's already an unpacker for the WAD file and exporter for the cars and textures.

More infos: https://www.cwaboard.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9056

Programs: https://rr2000.cwaboard.co.uk/pc-files#rc
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
HansSchmucker
driver

Modding on Android

Post by HansSchmucker »

Thanks a lot... can't believe I missed it. So, does repackaging work?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Modding on Android

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Well, I don't remember if it does :/

I think it might but then we'd get an error with the package signature. Something along those lines.

But maybe the game could simply work with the data unpackaged? (I do hope so for C:R at least)

I should try with their other games using the same technology.
HansSchmucker
driver

Modding on Android

Post by HansSchmucker »

Doesn't seem too likely, since the file on Android is at a location where there should be no individual files (also, the WAD has an additional header), but I'll try. Maybe I'm lucky :)
HansSchmucker
driver

Modding on Android

Post by HansSchmucker »

Didn't work... I'll try a few more paths. Toshiba-3, did you write or are you aware of any documentation for the carma WAD format? I'm still curious what I missed :)
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Modding on Android

Post by Toshiba-3 »

I'm totally clueless about the new formats specs to be honest.

I only know the good old C1 and C2 ones ;)

Best I can do is link you to this I suppose: http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7341
HansSchmucker
driver

Modding on Android

Post by HansSchmucker »

Thanks! The code at http://svn.gib.me/public/duels/trunk/Gibbed.Duels.FileFormats/Wad/ should contain what I'm looking for. Seems like the format can do more than I thought. I expected it to be uncompressed due to the RIFF headers, but apparently only SOME entries are uncompressed :)
Mr.Deviance
speed freak

Modding on Android

Post by Mr.Deviance »

Did you guys give up on this?

I tried to extract the obb file too today and I was met by failure.

I can't believe it's been this much since carma 1 came out for phones and nobody from this big community cared enough to actually get a definitive conclusion on this...

What good is carmageddon if it can't be modded after all these years?

As a fan of carmageddon since it came out, my fun with this game these days has a lot to do with modding rather than replaying the same old vanilla stuff over and over again like a broken record.

Why is it so fucking much to ask to be able to import custom made assets into the mobile version of this game?

Why must everthing that's new these days, have to suck and be locked the fuck down corporatist style?
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Modding on Android

Post by Deep_Blue »

....Following this thread closely. I've recently begun experimenting with manipulating/modeling 3d files on my android tablet and have gotten bored silly with the original C1 cars (which, incidentally prompted me to figure out how to make new C1 cars on the PC.) Anyways, I'm still trying to get my head around the android format. You guys who understand the structure and code-please keep me in the loop (or direct me to where your research is posted so I can study it, too.) I really wanna mod the mobile version.

Are those programs (Noesis and WADedit) meant to be used on the PC with the android data copied over?
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
Trent
mindless

Modding on Android

Post by Trent »

The model format for the mobile version of C1 is an earlier version of the format used for C:R. You can check out code for reading it

on Errol's GitHub for Flummery if you want to create tools for modding the android version of C1, though Flummery only supports exporting to the C:R format. The CNT and MDL file types are the important ones as they hold the hierarchy information and mesh data respectively.

Yes, Noesis and WADedit are Windows programs.
a.k.a. Brent
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Modding on Android

Post by Deep_Blue »

Ah, OK Trent.

I'm kinda stepping into this sideways so it's gonna take me a bit to get the hang of things.

Talking to Tosh and now you and reading around I'm seeing that I guess I have to learn to mod C:R first to understand what I wanna do.

Having said that- help an old timer out here, wouldya?

Is there a step-by-step tut somewhere?
Trent
mindless

Modding on Android

Post by Trent »

Unforunately the way cars are set up in C:R is totally different to the way they're set up in the mobile port of C1, the only common feature is the basic file formats, so learning to mod C:R wouldn't help if you're wanting to mod C1 on android.

The cars for mobile C1 have a Car.txt file which sets up which parts of it are wheels, what seems to be the collision shapes and a few other settings. I'd recommend just extracting the WAD and investigating how they're set up.

Regarding tutorials for C:R - there's none at the moment, I'm making some tools for modding C:R and so making tutorials for modding it is on my rather large list of things to do. I'd suggest reading through the threads in the C:R modding forum, posting questions and maybe joining the #carmageddon IRC chatroom on irc.slashnet.org where there's a few of us who will be happy to help you out.
a.k.a. Brent
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Modding on Android

Post by Deep_Blue »

Ok, I'm a little better informed now. Thanks.

I'll take a look around.

I appreciate the advice.
Trent
mindless

Modding on Android

Post by Trent »

I've been messing with modding the mobile game and it's actually amazingly straight forward. The cars are dead simple to set up, to get the car to show up in the selection screen you need to edit a LOL script to add in an extra column and edit a text file which lists the order of cars in the selection screen, as well as create a menu images for it. The menu images are a bugged at the moment, probably because I haven't got the format quite right, but over all it's not been much hassle. My maxscript tools work fine for exporting the CNT and MDL files, but the MTL files need to be copied and hex edited by hand to point to the correct textures.

Getting the mod on to the device just involves repacking the whole WAD and replacing the one on the device. I don't know how to put it on Android devices as I've been messing with it on my old jailbroken iPad, where you just need to find the Carmageddon.App folder in /var/mobile/Applications and put it in there. You may or may not need AppSync installed to work around CodeSigning issues.

a.k.a. Brent
Gravedrinker
hit n run

Modding on Android

Post by Gravedrinker »

Phenomenal work there Trent. Siamese dream looks great in C1 too.
Twitter/Instagram: @Gravedrinker
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Modding on Android

Post by Deep_Blue »

Ah, OK. That makes sense. And I can probably do that.... But I'm apparently missing a very important first step though. Er, um.. How are you getting into/displaying/unpacking/repacking the contents of the .obb file?
Trent
mindless

Modding on Android

Post by Trent »

Boomer McLoud wrote:Ah, OK. That makes sense. And I can probably do that.... But I'm apparently missing a very important first step though. Er, um.. How are you getting into/displaying/unpacking/repacking the contents of the .obb file?
Easy answer: I didn't :)

OBB is an android package format, I modded it on iOS, all the game's files are just stored in the folder, though when you backup the game to the PC it stores it as an IPAD file which is just a ZIP file. The game itself stores it's data in WAD files, you can find tools to extract them in the Duels Of The Planeswalkers modding community I think. As far as extracting obb files goes though, I've got no idea. Errol was working on that a while ago though.
a.k.a. Brent
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Modding on Android

Post by Deep_Blue »

Ah, thanks. /me learn some more. All I have is a droid and a pc. I'll have a look around and see what I can find.
MalkavsRustyBones
driver

Modding on Android

Post by MalkavsRustyBones »

I take it there's a huge amount of difference between Doom Engine's usage of WAD files and Carmageddon Mobile's Usage of the format?
Trent
mindless

Modding on Android

Post by Trent »

Yeah, Doom's WAD files have absolutely no relation to Stainless' WAD files other than the coincidental file extension.
a.k.a. Brent
QTZ
hit n run

Modding on Android

Post by QTZ »

Hello Everyone!

Finally I have bough Android phone and downloaded Carma Free (stupidest version ever - we can set player car as first, then opponents waste their self on player car, which give points to player and finally player won the race without any interaction) and registered here.

It look like the obb file is not an obb format file. It look like Stainless wad encapsulated in another pack which describe the wad file, according to Toshiba-3 information I have try WADEdit to extract the obb, but the file was not recognized, so I have just deleted the first header - 45 Bytes at beginning of the obb (it will be 40 for full version) and extracted it successfully. It can be also extracted with Noesis, but with errors, so use WADEdit instead. Noesis and Flummery (which finally work on XP) doesn't show textures from that version, unfortunately other new tools are not XP compatible, so I can't try it.

Edit:

OK, it working, so here is a simple tool: FOBB - it can create wad from obb and obb from wad, by removing or adding this specific obb header.

Edit2:

...Finally I have started Windows 7...

What I see is that you guys - Trent and Errol - already know the IMAGEMAP file format "Huffman compression".

Unfortunatlely I don't know how to convert those img files using your tool (whatever parameter I enter nothing happened). Is Android format supported?

Since img files are also used in C:R C1 cars converted pack it look like Android C1 is even more similar to C:R...

...if only Stainless will change the stupid rules - playing it is like playing match where every goal count for one team... I hope at least in C:R is OK?

Trying the tools I saw this: "contact the software publisher", so I'm trying ;)

It look like Minge is 64 bit only? So can't test it completely...

Trent, please compile your tools with XP compatible compiler.

Cunt require .net but which version? It crash under Win 7 similar as older Flummery crash under XP... (current version working)

There is lack of information what is required...

Zadfucker crash on file selection... and can't find game folder... I don't have C:R... I just want to try it with Android version... and with C1 car pack... don't know what for I need C:R game to try this?

I have extracted zad files with other software, don't know if zadfucker do something more?

That's it for now, is anyone interested to mod frustrating Android version? ;)
Trent
mindless

Modding on Android

Post by Trent »

The IMG code which Errol wrote for Flummery and I used in Minge was just for placeholder purpose until support for TDX files in CarMODgeddon was fixed, it was never 100% correct and didn't support all the compression methods and settings which the game's engine supported, just the bare minimum was done to get it working in the specific situation we needed it. Whether the format is the same as the version supported by the android version of C1 is another question entirely. The iOS and Android versions of C1 use a much earlier and more basic version of the engine, they have made a lot of changes to various formats over the few years since the mobile game was released. Does the android version not use TDX format textures like the iOS version did?

Regarding Minge and ZADFucker, both of those tools are made specifically to work with C:R for tasks related to modding that game. Minge is for managing and packing mods for CarMODgeddon and ZADFucker is for batch extracting the game's ZAD files into the correct location to run the game using extracted content. Neither are designed to work with anything else, so as the game requires Windows 7 as a minimum, I seen no point in supporting anything less.

Minge is 64bit, yes, because it needed to be: converting large textures hit the 32bit memory limit.

CUNT requires .NET 4.5 and should work fine under Windows 7 as far as I'm aware.

ZAD files are (with the exception of ZADs used for VTs) just plain ZIP files which you can extract with any old ZIP software.
a.k.a. Brent
QTZ
hit n run

Modding on Android

Post by QTZ »

Follow the FOBB link above. You can extract the wad from obb file by your self and check. The textures all have IMAGEDATA headers.

If the tool is dedicated to C:R only (like the zadfucker) it can require win 7 (this will be nice to show info, BTW: this is strange that Microsoft keep DOS compatibility [display info] when XP is not handled...), but tools for texture / lua conversion should be XP compatible since it can be used with Android version which have no specified Windows requirement... only Android... (I don't think Android tools are comfortable to use, also I have no experience to create Android apk, so I don't think we should create and limit the tools to Android system only).

Even when someone have 64 bit system it doesn't mean he/she have enough memory installed... I don't know exactly what this tool doing with the textures, but conversion sound like it can read part of file then save it and so on. It is really required to read whole texture and proceed all the data at a time?

I don't know how to convert those files using current tools, but I think the simple command line tool to convert the file into bitmap and back to Gizmondo/iOS/Android/C:R formats will be great.
Trent
mindless

Modding on Android

Post by Trent »

I don't have the android version of the game and don't have the time to waste buggering around with it.

I also have no interest in wasting my time supporting a 15 year old operating system which has been completely End Of Life'd for over a year and a half ago and reached it's mainstream End Of Life 6 years ago.

If someone using the tool has less memory than is needed to convert such high resolution textures then they really wouldn't have a suitable computer to make a mod which needs them anyway. When converting huge textures the array size limit for 32-bit .NET applications is hit well before the tool hits the 2gb memory limit anyway. And no, decoding 4x4 block based DXT compression and re-encoding it to canonical Huffman Encoding, or even plain old RLE, is not something which can be easily and efficiently done by doing parts of the texture at one time.

Like I said, this IMG conversion process was a placeholder which we did the bare minimum for to get CarMODgeddon mods working before the game was patched and may well not even create Android compatible IMG files. IMG support is purely left in Minge for legacy purposes and should not be used when packaging C:R mods any more, so I could easily remove it from the tool and that would let the tool be compiled for 32-bit machines again, but obviously that would remove the sole feature you want to use the tool for and C:R requires a 64-bit OS anyway so there's not much point.

If you want to create your own tools for converting textures to Android compatible formats then go for it, all the relevant code we have for the various file formats Beelzebub uses is up on Errol's GitHub account. I don't have the time to waste on doing that, though, as I not only don't have the Android version or a suitable Android device to test on but I also have far too much stuff to do on my tools for C:R. I don't even have the time or inclination to add proper support for compressing for iOS PVRTC compressed TDX textures to GibbedTools, I had to use Noesis to extract textures and PVR2TDX to convert them back to PVRTC TDX files for my proof-of-concept mod for the iOS version. I would suggest you look at the Duels Of The Planeswalkers moddding community to see if they have any Android compatible tools.
a.k.a. Brent
QTZ
hit n run

Modding on Android

Post by QTZ »

As you probably know I have found that iOS textures are better than Gizmondo, I think you have used those textures for your car pack, so I think converting Android textures should interesting you either... As I said Android file are bigger than iOS, so it may indicate those are even better than iOS version (some are smaller, but this may be because of compression).

There is free version for Android (demo), so even if you don't have Android device I think you can download the obb file form that version. It look like they included everything except for cars and maps. (There is no all music and all cut-scenes in the apk, but apk is not necessary for texture conversion anyway). Everything except for the textures seems to be the same as in iOS version (just updated), so basically when you have modified iOS you can do the same for Android, just the textures...

The XP is not so old :) I'm a big fan of 8 bit machines, especially Atari. There are many people who still programming on it :) just for breaking barriers and for proof that impossible is possible :) But OK, I will use Virtual Box for your tools as I done now.

I have many unfinished projects, but I think creating such converter will be interesting for me. Since this is new for me it may took years... I will take a look at sources...

PS. My tool actually need the DotPW tool to extract wad. I done my research just before I started to code.
Trent
mindless

Modding on Android

Post by Trent »

I'm certain the content for the Android version is absolutely identical to the content in the iOS version. The discrepancy in texture filesizes would make sense if the Android version does in fact use Huffman encoded IMG format textures instead of the better compression afforded by PVRTC compressed TDX format. Having thought about it, I would assume they used the more basic, less efficient IMG format because of the lack of consistency in Android GPUs. They could guarantee iOS devices would have hardware support for PVRTC as they all use PowerVR graphics chips, but only certain Android devices use that graphics chip. As they couldn't guarantee a specific hardware compression format on Android, they probably had to decompress textures in software, hence using the IMG format.
a.k.a. Brent
DemolitionNick
pedestrian

Modding on Android

Post by DemolitionNick »

Guys, are you there? I need some help. I'm very interested in modding mobile carmageddon, especially android version. I alredy learned how to repack obb and wad, how to open and mod most of files, but there is a big question. It's .img files. Tons of forums and discussions didn't give me answer. Huffma, huffman, huffman.... How to deal with this huffman compression. I know that Minge can convert images to huffman compressed imgs, but it hasn't option for just convert one format to another. I was playin' with swapping data between ios and android version and it was very interesting. Ios data on my adreno device surprisingly working. Some of textures working perfect (hud, and all 2d graphics, pedestrians), but background in menu was white instead of dark grey. Some textures not work at all (cars textures, textures of levels and all environment), but cars reflection maps working. I can make some screenshots if somebody interested. Another big question for me is music. It is .mp3enc. Hex editor didn't give answer how to deal with it. I love fear factory, but music quality is awful.

My dream is max pack for mobile. Mobile version is awesome!
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Modding on Android

Post by Deep_Blue »

I am just soaking up information here like a sponge.

Good to see you involved in this, QTZ. My system is also XP.

I *DO* have recent Android devices, though.

I am furiously taking notes....
kukuhnu
pedestrian

Modding on Android

Post by kukuhnu »

Thanks a lot... can't believe I missed it.
MrDeviance
turbo bastard

Modding on Android

Post by MrDeviance »

I have done it!

I've managed to replace all of the touch screen controls with an invisible transparent texture and they are no longer visible at all even though they are still there and work as intended.

I've removed every visible element of these controls for both Digital and Analogue controller modes.

Here's a screenshot of the mod working.

Click the image for a larger res screenshot.

Based on the fact that the game is freely available on the play store, I don't see any reason why it would be a problem for me to post my modded one here.

So without further ado, here's the modded .OBB file

DOWNLOAD

Installation instructions!

Just find this path on your android device and place my modified .OBB file there overwriting the existing one and you are good to go
"Internal storage\Android\obb\com.stainlessgames.carmageddon"

The files that were replaced are the following with their respective folder paths:

DATA_ANDROID\DATA\CONTENT\UI\ASSETS\PPI_HIGH\BRAKE_PEDAL_ON.IMG

DATA_ANDROID\DATA\CONTENT\UI\ASSETS\PPI_HIGH\GAS_PEDAL_ON.IMG

DATA_ANDROID\DATA\CONTENT\UI\ASSETS\PPI_HIGH\HANDBRAKE_ON.IMG

DATA_ANDROID\DATA\CONTENT\UI\ASSETS\PPI_HIGH\SLIDE_BACK.IMG

DATA_ANDROID\DATA\CONTENT\UI\ASSETS\PPI_HIGH\SPEEDBRAKE_SLIDER_THUMB_ON.IMG

DATA_ANDROID\DATA\CONTENT\UI\ASSETS\PPI_HIGH\STEER_LEFT_ON.IMG

DATA_ANDROID\DATA\CONTENT\UI\ASSETS\PPI_HIGH\STEER_RIGHT_ON.IMG

DATA_ANDROID\DATA\CONTENT\UI\ASSETS\PPI_HIGH\STEER_SLIDER_THUMB_ON.IMG

and

DATA_ANDROID\DATA\CONTENT\UI\ASSETS\PPI_LOW\BRAKE_PEDAL_ON.IMG

DATA_ANDROID\DATA\CONTENT\UI\ASSETS\PPI_LOW\GAS_PEDAL_ON.IMG

DATA_ANDROID\DATA\CONTENT\UI\ASSETS\PPI_LOW\HANDBRAKE_ON.IMG