Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Carmageddon: Reincarnation - Video's 'N Screenshots!

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

Nice screenshots Max... great for comparsion .... to see the evolution...
Sa1cor
turbo bastard

Post by Sa1cor »

This made me realise the Countslash in CR could look a lot more bad ass if its spoiler was wider.
Espyo
road raged psycho

Post by Espyo »

Showing these pics to the kid version of ourselves would probably end in collective heart failure.
I'm Espyo from the Carmageddon Wiki!
I'm currently working on a Pikmin fan engine.
shane
Stainless

Post by shane »

Awesome comparison shots Mad_Maxine!
Ex-Carmageddon Community Manager - Carmageddon.com
FatCat
mindless

Post by FatCat »

Huh... Old game had a lot more vibrant color palette, seems like the new game has so much yellow, orange and brown.

Kinda wish there was a nice bright blue beautiful sky in one of the maps. Or lighting/skybox variations? I still dont get why C:R cant have those, all you need to do is lump map ambient lighting and sun lighting and skyboxes into a few weather folders and have the game pick one of them to use at a time. Why cant we have that? Is there a technical reason? It sounds like something that could be done in an evening, definitively wouldnt require an overhaul.

Back in the old builds it was extremely easy to swap map lighting, and i even showed an evidence of that, why cant stainless do it officially? It's not "hard", and it would keep the maps from getting stale faster.
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Huh... Old game had a lot more vibrant color palette, seems like the new game has so much more yellow and brown.

Kinda wish there was a nice bright blue beautiful sky in one of the maps. Or lighting/skybox variations? I still dont get why C:R cant have those, all you need to do is lump map ambient lighting and sun lighting and skyboxes into a few weather folders and have the game pick one of them to use at a time. Why cant we have that? Is there a technical reason? It sounds like something that could be done in an evening, definitively wouldnt require an overhaul.

Back in the old builds it was extremely easy to swap map lighting, and i even showed an evidence of that, why cant stainless do it officially? It's not "hard", and it would keep the maps from getting stale faster.

Nobby mentioned on one of the livestreams (back when they were teasing update #2) that all environments would eventually be getting at least one new ambience/time of day setting. Also, the recent post-it note brain teaser on twitter showed one of the city levels with a different ambience setting.

Edit: it was mentioned here.
Just another '80s Dreamer....
Twitter Manifestation. - Mods for Max Damage.
Please do not use my old/deadname.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

FatCat wrote:Huh... Old game had a lot more vibrant color palette
Funny thing is that was nothing to do with an explicitly desired art direction, but rather due to technical limitations. The game could only use 256 colours in total and the cars needed a lot of them as there's a lot of colour in the cars, so level textures needed to make use of the cars colours. Take that vibrant colourful green grass for example, it's that colour because it's the Countslash green.

Like Mike said, they already announced that levels will have multiple environment settings for different races. I woud imagine they will be handled by associating different setup.lol scripts with he different events in the level.txt, like how you associate preview images or flavour texts with events.
a.k.a. Brent
Psyrgery
speed freak

Post by Psyrgery »

Showcasing '80s Time Warp's awesome and badass cars

Max is back. Let there be blood and motor oil
FatCat
mindless

Post by FatCat »

Oh my goood, Trent, you are totally right, i hadnt even thought about the 256 color palette. Also i'm glad to hear that it was confirmed that we'll get at least one variation of a level's lighting and skybox!

Psygery, that was an AMAZING showcase of how awesome '80s Time Warp's mods are, masterful playing of C:R, dude! The music was also strangely synced up very well despite not being edited =D
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

Heavy impaler! what a coincidence!

You see

Spoiler:

It is my favorite car from carmageddon 1 - due to it's overall madmaxish vibe %D

Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
STShotgun
turbo bastard

Post by STShotgun »

So recently we did some more CarMODgeddon multiplayer with '80s Time Warp's new cars. Also used edited versions of the police vehicles so we could have them unlocked in MP.

C:MD Mods: Overhaul / Car Lot
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Awesome guys. I'm very surprised to see Big Dump in the lead in a checkpoint Stampede against considerably more agile vehicles hehe.
Sa1cor
turbo bastard

Post by Sa1cor »

Haha, that was until I learned to take a corner without rolling over 3 times in my CUNT :D. Anyway, your cars are really fun and refreshing. My favorite part about them is the handling. Honestly I don't know why can't we have this sort of handling for the original cars. Been a while since simply driving a car in CR made me smile. Stainless should take notes. Well done! :)
STShotgun
turbo bastard

Post by STShotgun »

Sa1cor wrote:Honestly I don't know why can't we have this sort of handling for the original cars. Been a while since simply driving a car in CR made me smile. Stainless should take notes. Well done! :)

It almost feels like they took inspiration from '80s Time Warp's cars for Shredlight's handling. :P

But yeah, it was very fun driving them around. Was also great to see no game crashes either! :)
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Haha, that was until I learned to take a corner without rolling over 3 times in my CUNT :D. Anyway, your cars are really fun and refreshing. My favorite part about them is the handling. Honestly I don't know why can't we have this sort of handling for the original cars. Been a while since simply driving a car in CR made me smile. Stainless should take notes. Well done! :)
I suspected that might not have lasted hehe. Thanks :)

But yeah, it was very fun driving them around. Was also great to see no game crashes either! :)
Thanks again Shotgun. Especially awesome that it's all working smoothly in Multiplayer too :)

Spoiler: And a secret(ish) weapon/tool tip

The Tipper on big dump can be detached, and possibly dropped on pursuers. Open and close flaps a few times while moving, then hit the brakes, and sometimes it will immediately detach. As the tipper weighs in at a hefty 20000Kgs, it can do a lot of damage to most cars. You can also use the tipper as a handy battering ram after it has detached.

Deadhart
motorised death

Post by Deadhart »

This looks like fun, do you guys have other mods installed besides '80s Time Warp's awesome stuff? I¨d join ya this weekend but CarMod won¨t let me in if I don¨t hav all thhe mods you do
Fr0ntj3
speed freak

Post by Fr0ntj3 »

Deadhart wrote:This looks like fun, do you guys have other mods installed besides '80s Time Warp's awesome stuff? I¨d join ya this weekend but CarMod won¨t let me in if I don¨t hav all thhe mods you do
i feel like a broken record but, join the groupchat: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/C_UN_T

we are there almost 24/7 to be able to setup games when we play and let people know whats up. ie. what mods are needed, when there is a free slot etc.
Deadhart
motorised death

Post by Deadhart »

Fr0nt wrote:
Deadhart wrote:This looks like fun, do you guys have other mods installed besides '80s Time Warp's awesome stuff? I¨d join ya this weekend but CarMod won¨t let me in if I don¨t hav all thhe mods you do

i feel like a broken record but, join the groupchat: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/C_UN_T

we are there almost 24/7 to be able to setup games when we play and let people know whats up. ie. what mods are needed, when there is a free slot etc.

Me there already, played quite a few matches, but never with mods before, it didn¨t dawn on me that you guys ahnnounce the mos before the games start, sorry eh.
Fr0ntj3
speed freak

Post by Fr0ntj3 »

alright cool, didnt know you were a member. Havent seen you in chat, join us next time.

LittlePuppet
mechanic

Post by LittlePuppet »

CoolZone
mechanic

Post by CoolZone »

Fr0nt wrote:alright cool, didnt know you were a member. Havent seen you in chat, join us next time.

Liked the two first sequences :)
STShotgun
turbo bastard

Post by STShotgun »

Welp, here's my first compilation.

'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Another awesome compilation Front! You guys are certainly way more imaginative (and effective) in your use of power-ups than I have ever been :)
Sa1cor
turbo bastard

Post by Sa1cor »

Now that I've got your attention, here's a bunch of pictures I took in SP:

Spoiler:

Carmageddon is really an art :3
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

Great screenshots Sa1cor! =D

via Imgflip Meme Maker

Inspiration source https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPMOYLA0KTo
Kejnel
speed freak

Post by Kejnel »

Sa1cor wrote:

Lovely scene. Very nice. How did the crash happen?

Sa1cor wrote:

Aphex Twin
If you want to report bugs or want to ask for features DO NOT USE FORUM FOR THAT! Instead send it to developers HERE: https://carmageddon.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
Sa1cor
turbo bastard

Post by Sa1cor »

Hehe, glad you guys like it. It's actually a lot of fun taking pictures ingame. If I remember correctly, Bear and Crazor hit each other head to head while going pretty darn fast, and me - the Eletric Blue double or tripple thrusted into them from the the camera's perspective. The impact was so large my car spinned out hard, that's why it looks like I'm thrusting from the side.
Deadhart
motorised death

Post by Deadhart »

'80s Time Warp wrote:

Another awesome compilation Front! You guys are certainly way more imaginative (and effective) in your use of power-ups than I have ever been :)

Naw man, I bet you could do something cool with PUps, sometimes even I manage to pull off something sweet, and I'm clumsy as shit. One time I managed to wreck someone in Carmod MP while in your Stodge Squad Car - running away from them, I managed to pull off a 180 at pretty high speed and Pelvic Thrust right into 'em. Shame I don't have it on video because I will never ever pull anything as sweet as that again.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

I needed to easily see all the different types of peds in the game, so obviously the solution was to write a script to load all the ped models and all their skin variations and around them in a grid with name tags. I ended up rendering up three images, one of drivers, one of male peds and one of female peds (I forgot to do the animals!) so they're more organised. So I thought people might find it interesting to see. Click the images for bigger versions.

These are without any props like hair, glasses, bazooka bras, etc., most peds have multiple prop variations too, so while there's over 200 types of peds just based on model and texture variations, the combinations of various props means there's substantially more unique peds, at least 1000. That's also not counting skin tone options.
a.k.a. Brent
Sa1cor
turbo bastard

Post by Sa1cor »

That's interesting, Trent. Are the props determined somewhat randomly, or are they preset for each ped every time you load a map?

Some more pics:

Spoiler:

Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Sa1cor wrote:That's interesting, Trent. Are the props determined somewhat randomly, or are they preset for each ped every time you load a map?
Each type of ped has a script which references a model and has a list of variations, which list out all the texture options for the ped and all the prop options which can be attached to the different parts of the body. Each item has a weight attached to it to determine how likely that item is used.

The levels then either place specific ped types or groups of peds (which list ped types) which it random chooses from. When each ped spawns the game randomly picks a texture and one of the props listed in each part's section for the ped type.

In short: the props associated with a ped type are preset but the combination of them is randomly selected on load.
a.k.a. Brent
Sa1cor
turbo bastard

Post by Sa1cor »

I see, that's cool. Thanks for the answer.

Check who’s online