Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

The Pre-release In-Dev Mega Thread

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

The Pre-release In-Dev Mega Thread

Post by Razor »

For many years I've been slowly trawling through the gigabytes (22 of them to be exact) of Carmageddon content that I have, the early previews, the screenshots from in-development and the in-dev files that we actually have access to, in order to try and piece together as much of the history of Carmageddon 2 as I can.
My BETA Mod includes a lot of these discoveries but since releasing the mod, we have made hundreds more discoveries on content that used to be in the game but was either removed or changed prior to the final release of Carmageddon 2, all of this fascinates me but this information is no good kept to myself or shared every now and again on Discord/IRC as it will never be detailed permanently.

I want to use this thread as a base to just talk about different things and engage conversation on the in-dev and early stages of Carmageddon 2, some posts will be short, some may be long but I'll aim to detail as much as I can with my discoveries, I'll start off with an article I posted a few months ago on my site about the development of Digga and will continue from there.
You may also remember I did a little thread like this on the old carmageddon.com forums that was stickied in the Carmageddon 2 sub-forum, this aims to expand on that with more in-depth discussion and details but I will also include the information from that thread in here as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ron Dumpster and his Digga! (Original article here: https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk/2020/04/27 ... -to-digga/)

Ron Dumpster who is the brother of Don Dumpster, appears in Carmageddon 2 and he drives the Digga, well he was supposed to but he doesn’t exist in the final version of the game. The official reason for the missing opponent(s) is that Stainless Games either weren’t happy with some designs and due to SCi forcing Stainless to finish the game ahead of schedule, they left some vehicles out of the game, Digga being one of these. The Digga is unlocked when you complete C2 but if you choose the car, the game will crash when loading.

Ron Dumpster’s mugshot still exists in the final build of the game in the ‘/data/64x48x8/PIXELMAP/tiffrgb’ (and PIX16) folders.
ron64.png
ron64.png (8.81 KiB) Viewed 3756 times
Let’s take a look at every piece of evidence I have access to for this vehicle to try and piece together a timeline on the development of the vehicle and try to find out what really happened to Digga. Please note that any dates I list shouldn’t be taken as fact, I’m purely going off the dates of the files I have access to which give us a rough estimation of timeframes. My opinions shouldn’t be taken as fact either.

The first ever evidence of Stainless Games deciding they wanted to do something with a giant excavator in a Carmageddon game comes from the 3D model they used as a template for the vehicle, this model is titled FH200.max and was used as a basis for Digga, the creation date of this file is 20/11/1996
FH200.max 20/11/1996

The first instance we have that work began on Digga is from 26/05/1998 with the file digga11.max – It shows the vehicle in a far along and almost complete state, the fact that the file name is called digga11.max implies that there were 10 prior versions of the model saved at some point during it’s development but I don’t have access to those. At around this same time Stainless were also working on other vehicles during the mid-development of Carmageddon 2.
digga11.max 26/05/1998

The following day more work was done to the vehicle and it became almost visually indistinguishable from the final model that was distributed to modders after the game’s release, the final in-development model available for Digga is digga13.max, it is dated one day after the previous digga11.max & digga12.max on 27/05/1998.
digga13.max 27/05/1998

In the next few months work was continued on the rest of the game, including: vehicles, levels, drones, accessories, UI elements and more until Stainless decided to return to the Digga model and began creating textures for the vehicle but also decided at the same time that instead of completing it, they would create a new vehicle with it; logmachine (aka. Loggerhead). The creation date of the Digga textures and the first logmachine file are the same, 18/09/1998, the first version of logmachine is logmachine01.max– This file contains the main body, arm and scoop from Digga as well as the beginnings of the logmachine weapons.
logmachine01.max 18/08/1998

A lot of work was done to logmachine on this day and the next 3 versions of the vehicle show the development of the weaponry, logmachine02.max, logmachine03.max & logmachine04.max all show the progress of the vehicle over a few hours on 18/09/1998.
logmachine02.max 18/08/1998
logmachine03.max 18/08/1998
logmachine04.max 18/08/1998

Logmachine was finished within the next month ready for the final release of Carmageddon 2 in October of 1998, it’s important to note that the game was still in active development right up until release, even as close as the week before the release of the game, which adds credence to the fact that Stainless really did run out of time to finish up the game correctly and so had to leave things on the cutting room floor, one of those things being Digga.
logmachine-final

The final release of Carmageddon 2 provides us with our last pieces of evidence, if you look at the logmachine textures you will see all of the Digga textures, as noted by their dig prefix. There are a few logmachine specific textures, such as the simplemodel textures and driver textures which have a log prefix, so we can assume that all of the textures prefixed with dig were indeed created for Digga initially.

It is interesting to note that some of the Digga textures were likely reworked for logmachine, you’ll notice that the digaarm.tif texture which predates the other Digga textures is more orange than the rest, this was likely the original colour of Digga as opposed to the more yellow and green that logmachine uses in the final release of the game. This is indeed the inspiration for Toshiba-3’s later release of the vehicle.
logmachine-textures

Upon release of the game, Errol asked Stainless Games directly for the incomplete Digga model, which they provided to him to which Toxic Ragers proceeded to create a usable version of Digga and finally in February 2000 let people use the vehicle in-game. Later upon the realisation that the Digga textures still exist in the final build of the game, Toshiba-3 released Digga again with the dig prefixed textures, albeit with a colour change that closer matches the orange shade of digaarm.tif.
Digga final model – [ digg3ds.zip ~4kb ]

Toxic Ragers Digger – [ Digger.zip ~635kb ]

Toshiba-3 Digga – [ digga.zip ~425kb ]

From the evidence we have available, we cannot dispute the claim that Stainless Games ran out of time to finish work on Digga, as we know that the game was still in active development literally right up until release and we also cannot dispute that they just weren’t happy with the design because they chose to alter it into a completely different vehicle.
In my opinion, I think that when they decided create Loggerhead from Digga a few months before release that they were entering a crunch period for the game and just didn’t have the time to go back and finish up what they were working on and so had to prioritise finishing Loggerhead and other important parts of the game over finishing Digga, this theory is also supported by the leftovers present in the game, such as the ron64.tif mugshot image and the appearance of Digga in OPPONENTS.TXT, time must have just ran out and the game was released before Digga was fully removed from the game.
Attachments
ron64.tif
ron64.tif (15.55 KiB) Viewed 3757 times
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

[CARMA2] Vehicles with MINOR CHANGES

Post by Razor »

Vehicles in Carmageddon 2 that received minor changes throughout their development.

This post will detail those vehicles that received only minor changes to them throughout development, if your favourite vehicle isn't here then it probably means that it either received a lot of changes during development, no changes during development or we have no evidence to document any changes during development. Vehicle order will be in the internal name order.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

buggy
Bugga.png
Bugga.png (32.59 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
The earliest version of buggy we have access to is BEACH_BUGGY.max, it is dated 29/06/1998 - 10:08am - It features buggy in a completed state, very close to final but the front section is slightly different, the front body panels are slightly bigger. Below is an image of this early version of the vehicle next to the final version.
buggycompare.PNG
buggycompare.PNG (114.48 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
BEACH_BUGGY.max - 29/06/1998 [LEFT] - final buggy - 06/10/1998 [RIGHT]

buzz
Buzzmobile.png
Buzzmobile.png (35.81 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
In demo versions of C2, buzz was driven by a generic red racing driver but did you know that Buzz Lightweight originally did wear red? This can be seen in both his mugshot and in the Nintendo 64 version of the game. (A later post will detail the importance of Carmageddon 64)
Below is the vehicle as it appears in Carmageddon 64.
Carma64-BuzzLightweight.png
Carma64-BuzzLightweight.png (108.19 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
Below is Buzz Lightweight's mugshot.
buzz64.png
buzz64.png (8.32 KiB) Viewed 3755 times

copcar
Copcar-Carma2.png
Copcar-Carma2.png (32.13 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
At some point during development copcar had a livery similar to those of the cops in C1/SP, this is evidenced by the unused textures present in the vehicle's files, I reused these textures in the BETA Mod to try and give an idea of what the vehicle may have originally looked like. As far as I am aware, we don't have any early screenshots or files from this vehicle, so can only assume how these textures were used.
Below is a screenshot of those textures.
copcartextures.PNG
copcartextures.PNG (173.37 KiB) Viewed 3764 times

corvette
Theredvet.png
Theredvet.png (31.77 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
During development corvette went through a lot of minor tweaks and changes, initially the blades on the vehicle had blood on them, as can be seen in various early screenshots and teasers. This blood is also present in Carmageddon 64, interestingly Carmageddon 64 also has the vehicle with headlights, it is possible that these textures may have been created at some point for Carmageddon 2, back when Stainless Games were attempting to add working headlights to the game (a feature that will be documented in a later post)
Below will be various different sources for the changes to this vehicle, each image will be accompanied by a description.

OUTRO3 from the demo versions of the game shows corvette in an earlier state, zooming in reveals that slight red hint from the blood on the blades.
outro3.png
outro3.png (144.99 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
In-dev screenshots from mid-late 1998 that show off the original bloodied blades of corvette
carmageddon2031.jpg
carmageddon2031.jpg (59.17 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
carmageddon2032.jpg
carmageddon2032.jpg (57.91 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
The vehicle as it appears in Carmageddon 64, note the bloodied blades and the exposed headlights.
Carma64-Ashteroid.png
Carma64-Ashteroid.png (108 KiB) Viewed 3764 times

fordpick
Hickpickup.png
Hickpickup.png (32.95 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
fordpick appears as a blue pickup truck in the final version of Carmageddon 2 but during development it was actually brown and muddied up, this original version would last right up until the release of the game where the textures were changed and the vehicle became the shiny new blue thing it is in the final game. The early textures are almost all still present in the final version of the game and I used these textures to get the vehicle back into it's former state in the BETA Mod.
Another interesting thing to note is that the wing mirrors were a lot more complex in earlier builds of the game.
Below are screenshots showing the early version of this vehicle.

In-dev screenshots from mid-1998 showing an earlier version of fordpick, note the lack of driver. The old textures are present here, as are the old wing mirrors.
carmageddon2035.jpg
carmageddon2035.jpg (76.6 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
carmageddon2039.jpg
carmageddon2039.jpg (66.19 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
carmageddon2040_640w.jpg
carmageddon2040_640w.jpg (67.7 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
The rear of the European bigbox versions of Carmageddon 2 also show this version of fordpick. Circled in red here.
Scan00032.JPG
Scan00032.JPG (110.15 KiB) Viewed 3764 times

mach13
Mach13.png
Mach13.png (28.4 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
Like a few other Carmageddon 2 vehicles, mach13 was a Conrad 'CWR' Rudy creation, the original version featured fins on the rear, these are not present in the final version of the vehicle.
Below is a screenshot of the CWR model that became mach13.
mach13.PNG
mach13.PNG (292.45 KiB) Viewed 3764 times

minor
Madmorris.png
Madmorris.png (33.03 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
Originally driven by Stalwart Fellow, as seen in an early screenshot from an in-dev build of Carmageddon 2.

Below is that screenshot.
carmageddon2043_640w.jpg
carmageddon2043_640w.jpg (60.52 KiB) Viewed 3764 times

mustang
Propshafter.png
Propshafter.png (28.79 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
This vehicle used to be bright orange, maybe as a homage to Interstate '76 but in the final game it became blue, we know this from Outro3 in the demo versions of the game which shows the orange version of mustang.
Below is OUTRO3.
outro3.png

riviera
Bloodriviera.png
Bloodriviera.png (32.42 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
Originally, riviera had no livery on it and was covered in blood from it's blades on the front, this original version can be seen in Outro3. The wheels were also different.
Below is OUTRO3.
outro3.png

wideboy
Streetmachine.png
Streetmachine.png (36.22 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
Originally wideboy, like most vehicles, had bloodied blades. These are present in Carmageddon 64, as well as an alternate livery, I recreated this livery for the BETA Mod as I suspect it may have been an earlier livery for the vehicle, as most of the content in Carmageddon 64 is of an earlier nature.
Below is the vehicle as it appears in Carmageddon 64.
Carma64-Wideboy.png
Carma64-Wideboy.png (108.65 KiB) Viewed 3764 times

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are most of the vehicles that had very minor changes that we know about during development, I have reserved another post for my documentation of the vehicles we know the development history of or that have an interesting history, these include: 37FORD, bigdump, cerby, cobra, diablo, dondump, EAGLE3, fair, fatlane, junker1, logmachine, monsterbug, porker2, screw28, SKYLINE, VLAD3, volvo and vwcampa.

Future posts will go into these vehicles, I'll also do another one about mugshot and carimage changes.
Attachments
Plowmk2.png
Plowmk2.png (35.66 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
buzz64.TIF
buzz64.TIF (14.79 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

[Carma2] Removed POWERUPS

Post by Razor »

The Steel Gonad O' Death powerup!
C2_gonad.png
C2_gonad.png (276.43 KiB) Viewed 3749 times
The Steel Gonad O' Death is one of the craziest things you can do in Carmageddon 2, I suspect it may have been a powerup at some point but due to how overpowered it is it may have just been a fun little cheat created during the testing phases of the game, it turns the player's vehicle into a rolling ball with the power of 55 billion Big Dumps!
The powerup can be activated in game by using Cesm's cheat editor: https://cesm23.cwaboard.co.uk/#Tools_Downloads

EDIT: Steel Gonad O' Death is a dedicated option in the Crush Test mode within the in-dev 'Carmashit' cheatexe, as noted here: https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk/2022/06/20 ... functions/

Got 'im In The Bollocks powerup!
bollocks.png
bollocks.png (1.12 KiB) Viewed 3749 times
The Got 'im in the bollocks powerup is a removed powerup from the Splat Pack (it may be in C1 also) and it was carried over into C2, this powerup can still be activated in the final version of C2 but it just gives you credits, not only that but it displays a message on the screen.

The powerup icon doesn't exist in the final version of C2 but it does exist in the demo versions of C2.

I'm not sure what this powerup was supposed to do but if I'd have to guess, my guess would be either one of these two:

- It increases the size of your cars rear wheels
- It kills male peds in a certain way (use your imagination)

The Cloaking Device powerup!
Icon_C2_cloak.png
Icon_C2_cloak.png (1.52 KiB) Viewed 3749 times
In the final version of C2 this powerup can be activated but just gives you credits, it does however exist in Carmageddon 64 but is called 'Invisibility' and it makes your car transparent

The Cloaking Device powerup still exists in multiplayer in C2.

Cop-specific powerups.
turbocops.png
turbocops.png (967 Bytes) Viewed 3749 times
frozencops.png
frozencops.png (1005 Bytes) Viewed 3749 times
There are 2 leftover powerups from C1/SP within Carmageddon 2 that are present but serve no function and those are Turbo Cops and Frozen Cops, icons exist for both powerups but since cops weren't present in C2, the powerups no longer function, they don't work with copcar as the vehicle is just a regular opponent that just so happens to be a police car.
Last edited by Razor on Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added cheatexe Steel Gonad info.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

[CARMA2] The Importance Of Carmageddon 64

Post by Razor »

Despite arguably being the worst game in the franchise, the utter heap of garbage that is Carmageddon 64 is extremely important to the development of Carmageddon 2 and despite being released a year after Carmageddon 2, it uses content from earlier in Carmageddon 2's development, the vehicles within Carmageddon 64 show what Carmageddon 2 vehicles looked like at a certain point in development.

The vehicles in Carmageddon 64 are for the most part the same as what appears in Carmageddon 2 but they are lower poly and they use earlier versions of textures that appear in Carmageddon 2, almost all of the vehicles in this game use earlier C2 textures, there is even one vehicle that was mentioned to be in C2 but never was but did make it's way into C64.

corvette
Carma64-Ashteroid.png
Carma64-Ashteroid.png (108 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
The Carmageddon 64 version of corvette uses earlier blade textures that feature blood, these textures are present in OUTRO3 and in earlier in-dev screenshots, interestingly this version of the car also features exposed headlights as opposed to popup headlights.

Carmageddon 64 Blade Texture
CARMAGEDDON64#BC453DE2#0#2_all.png
CARMAGEDDON64#BC453DE2#0#2_all.png (713 Bytes) Viewed 2414 times
OUTRO3
outro3.png
outro3.png (144.99 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
In-dev screenshot
carmageddon2031.jpg
carmageddon2031.jpg (59.17 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
Magazine preview
REDVET_EARLY.JPG
REDVET_EARLY.JPG (23.26 KiB) Viewed 2414 times

buzz
Carma64-BuzzLightweight.png
Carma64-BuzzLightweight.png (108.19 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
The C64 version of buzz uses an older red version of Buzz's body texture, this texture is evidenced in Buzz's mugshot.

Carmageddon 64 Buzz Texture
CARMAGEDDON64#2B676D02#0#2_all.png
CARMAGEDDON64#2B676D02#0#2_all.png (2.13 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
C2 mugshot
buzz64.png
buzz64.png (8.32 KiB) Viewed 2414 times

dondump
Carma64-DonDumpster.png
Carma64-DonDumpster.png (119.22 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
The C64 version of dondump uses the original bloodied "GOTCHA I'M BACK" texture that was visible in OUTRO3

Carmageddon 64 dondump scoop texture
CARMAGEDDON64#9D4FCBD4#0#2_all.png
CARMAGEDDON64#9D4FCBD4#0#2_all.png (2.14 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
OUTRO3
outro3.png
outro3.png (144.99 KiB) Viewed 2414 times

porker2
Carma64-HerrKooled.png
Carma64-HerrKooled.png (103.68 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
The C64 version of porker2 uses the original bloodied spikes that are present in earlier versions of C2 as well as in the demo of the game.

Carmageddon 64 porker2 blade texture
CARMAGEDDON64#5172906A#0#2_all.png
CARMAGEDDON64#5172906A#0#2_all.png (1.52 KiB) Viewed 2414 times

diablo
Carma64-DaveDead.png
Carma64-DaveDead.png (99.94 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
The C64 version of diablo uses the original bloodied blade that is present in earlier versions of C2 as well as in the demo of the game.

Carmageddon 64 diablo blade texture
CARMAGEDDON64#501137BF#0#2_all.png
CARMAGEDDON64#501137BF#0#2_all.png (741 Bytes) Viewed 2414 times

eagle3
Carma64-MaxDamage.png
Carma64-MaxDamage.png (100.12 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
The C64 version of eagle3 uses the so-called 'alpha' model of the game, this version of the vehicle appears in very early preview screens of the game but the model is also hidden within demo versions of the game, more information on this model will be detailed in a later post about the development of the Eagle 3.

Early preview screens of C2
C2dump1.jpg
C2dump1.jpg (49.83 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
c2dump2.JPG
c2dump2.JPG (50.47 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
c2dump3.JPG
c2dump3.JPG (53.23 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
c2dump4.JPG
c2dump4.JPG (50.13 KiB) Viewed 2414 times

37ford
Carma64-Godrod.png
Carma64-Godrod.png (99.41 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
The C64 version of 37ford uses the early wheel texture that appears in the early 64x48x8 CarImage present in the final game.

Carmageddon 64 hellrod wheel texture
CARMAGEDDON64#6ADAF39E#3#1_all.png
CARMAGEDDON64#6ADAF39E#3#1_all.png (2.71 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
64x48x8 early hellrod CarImage
Hellrod.png
Hellrod.png (28.85 KiB) Viewed 2414 times

vlad3
Carma64-Vlad.png
Carma64-Vlad.png (107.48 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
The C64 versions of vlad3 uses the original bloodied spike that is present in the earlier versions of C2 as well as in the demo of the game.

Carmageddon 64 vlad3 spike texture
CARMAGEDDON64#7F891DB7#0#2_all.png
CARMAGEDDON64#7F891DB7#0#2_all.png (516 Bytes) Viewed 2414 times

wideboy
Carma64-Wideboy.png
Carma64-Wideboy.png (104.66 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
The C64 version of wideboy uses the original bloodied blade texture that is present in the earlier versions of C2, it also uses a totally different texture for the side of the vehicle than the textures that are present in the final game, they also feature blood on them which leads me to believe this is how wideboy originally looked before it was developed more.

Carmageddon 64 bloodied blade texture and side texture
CARMAGEDDON64#1C9782BC#0#2_all.png
CARMAGEDDON64#1C9782BC#0#2_all.png (693 Bytes) Viewed 2414 times
CARMAGEDDON64#413EF3A7#0#2_all.png
CARMAGEDDON64#413EF3A7#0#2_all.png (2.43 KiB) Viewed 2414 times

fatcat
Carma64-OtisPJivefunk.png
Carma64-OtisPJivefunk.png (103.61 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
C64 features the Caddy Fat Cat from C1 but it's slightly different and the textures appear to have been remade from C1 into somewhat of a higher quality, the vehicle may have been a placeholder for Otis at some point in the development of C2 before CWR's Fairlane was used as the Slam Sedan.

icevan
Carma64-MrWhip.png
Carma64-MrWhip.png (106.17 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
C64 features an Ice Cream Van as an opponent, this vehicle was originally intended to be in C2 but got cut during development, this is evidenced by it's mention in various video game magazine preview as well as it's appearance in C2 as a camcar, the camcars will be detailed in a later post.

Ice Cream Van mention in PC Zone issue 62
asd.jpg
asd.jpg (90.66 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
Kebabageddon- The camcar that the Ice Cream van from C2 was eventually released as.
Kebabageddon.png
Kebabageddon.png (41.1 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
Attachments
css2.jpg
css2.jpg (15.26 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
Theredvet.png
Theredvet.png (31.77 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

[CARMA2] Notable changes in early screenshots

Post by Razor »

This post is intended to be more of a documentation of changes that can be seen within early preview screenshots from the game, this will be quite the lengthy post as we have a lot of early shots from C2. This post will solely go over early in-game screenshots and the early posed shots that were shared with media back in the day, the latter of which we will begin with.

Please note that these images are all very old and may suffer from jpeg degradation from years and years of being shared, downloaded, copied, saved and uploaded. Differences in colour of some of these images is due to them coming from the Redcloud archives I shared for C1’s 25th anniversary and those shots being in CMYK as opposed to RGB.

Early posed silotest shots.
These shots were some of the first created by Stainless in order to show off to the press that a new Carmageddon game is being developed, they feature the first vehicles created for the game posed inside one of the first levels created for the game, Silonet03.

‘Alpha’ Eagle 3 model in an early version of silonet03
I found this model hiding in the files of the C2 demo, it’s development is documented on the CWA here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8807
It was released here: https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk/2012/02/20 ... k-3-alpha/
Silonet03 appears in the final game as a multiplayer level in a largely unchanged state from how it appears in these shots.
Higher resolution original textures are used.

Original version of diablo with bloodied up front blade which continued into the demo version of the game before censorship prior to final. This diablo also appears to have a green interior, although this may have been created specifically for this posed image.
Silonet03, ‘Alpha’ Eagle 3 and original higher resolution textures are used.

Alongside ‘Alpha’ Eagle 3 and original diablo model, you can see an earlier version of volvo and 37FORD the latter of which features it’s blue outline around the flames, this version of the vehicle also has the original wheels as seen in the Carmageddon 64 version of the vehicle and the below early carimage which is leftover in C2:
Again, a section of Silonet03 is used for the location and the original higher resolution textures are used.

Original ‘Alpha’ Eagle 3, 37FORD and Silonet with high resolution textures as noted above.

Aside from the originhal higher resolution textures shown here; newhawk looks largely unchanged from this early state up to the final version of the game, an early version of SKYLINE is also shown here with it’s original Bitchelin, Wrathmans and Immobil textures before they were changed in the final for Bitumen, Wraith and Immobile respectively. It also features The Bitchelin Man on the roof which itself was changed to a yinyang symbol in the final game, these changes were likely made for copyright reasons.

Below is a comparison images between the older textures (as featured in the C2 demo, except The Bitchelin Man which I created specifically for the vehicle) and the final textures:

The level in this shot in particular doesn’t appear to exactly match any of the versions of Silonet03 that we have access to despite the textures matching that level, it can be assumed that this was either an earlier layout of the level, a different level that shared textures with Silonet03 or an area created specifically for this shot.

Carmageddon 2 - Official Graphics Pack Screensaver Images
The Official Graphics Pack was a CD released by SCi after the release of Carmageddon 2, it included patches for the game, files and installers to change your game into either: Alien, Blood or Zombie versions of the game and a screensaver!
The latter of which is most interesting because it features shots from early versions of the game.

This shot very much resembles the demo, so it is likely from a period of development where the game was in a somewhat similar state to how we see it in the demo.
You’ll notice the demo or ‘beta’ Eagle 3 with it’s steel armour and black spikes, you can also just about notice the bonnet is black, the same would happen in the demo when the vehicle was damaged (a leftover from C1 when cars would blacken when damaged/around fire points, etc.)

This shot also features the ‘beta’ Eagle 3 but you’ll also notice the blood splatter textures look different to the previous image, this would imply that the blood splatter textures were worked on between the time this and then the previous image were taken.

This shot features the same ‘beta’ Eagle 3 as the previous shots but we can see this is a Zombie version of the game.

Another Zombie version of the game, we still see the ‘beta’ Eagle 3 but this shot also contains one of the early Junkyard drones that were removed from the final iteration of the level, this is the CAPRICE drone. This shot also features earlier versions of the barrel powerup textures as seen in the C2 demo and my Beta Mod.

This shot goes back in time again, similar to the second shot it features the earlier blood splatter texture but it also features an earlier design for the office building that is advertised for rent in the final game. You’ll also note that the ‘beta’ Eagle 3 seen here is also sporting that black section on it’s bonnet as previously mentioned.

This image was likely taken specifically for this pack, as we can see it features the final version of the office building mentioned in the previous image and it also features the final Eagle 3 and the Alien pedestrians from the pack.

Another Junkyard shot featuring the ‘beta’ Eagle 3.

Same as the above, another Junkyard shot featuring the ‘beta’ Eagle 3.

This image is from an early version of the airport level, it seems to match the same area in the final version of the game except the fog is black and the powerup beneath the TV screens in the background is missing but this could’ve just been picked up and hasn’t had chance to respawn yet.
The textures of the leaves on the plant in the shot also look different to the final game, this image again features the ‘beta’ Eagle 3.

Another shot that is likely from a more finalised build of the game, as you can see it features the final Eagle 3 design, buggy, mach13 and the final explosion sprite.
Beaver County Quarry is the level featured here.

The ‘beta’ Eagle 3 is shown again in this image alongside an early version of volvo, which appears to have textures matching the C2 demo, though in this image you can spot the underside of the rear arches are untextured, you can also spot the old explosion sprite which can also be seen in the demo version of the game.
This shot is from an early version of the Carrier level, from the other elements in the shot it is safe to assume that this is the original version of the level before the texture redesign and before the entire level was completely reworked.
I will go into the full history of the level in a later post.

Another shot that was likely taken specifically for this pack from the final version of the game, it features Beaver County Quarry, final Eagle 3 and an Alien ped.

An earlier shot of the Beaver County Quarry level, this one featuring the ‘beta’ Eagle 3 and Mutant Tail Thingy.

Another early Junkyard shot, this one taken from a version of the game with Zombie peds.
The ‘beta’ Eagle 3 is featured as well as another cut drone, this time its the WAGON drone.
Early powerup textures can also be seen here, which where seen in the C2 demo and my Beta Mod.

Another Beaver County Quarry shot, notably this screenshot shows off the Pedestrian Flamethrower which at this point in development uses the early explosion sprites with the flame sprites, this shot also features 37FORD which already has a simplemodel at this stage of development.

Another very early shot, this shot is notable for featuring the original altmeter and what appears to be earlier fonts that are either carried over from C1 or made to resemble those fonts in C1, SKYLINE is shown on the HUD by it’s filename as opposed to opponent name.
You’ll also notice the APO Armour icon is a tank instead of the helmet it was changed to later in development, this shot also features the ‘beta’ Eagle 3 and two cut drones, CAPRICE and MINI.

Another Carrier shot taken from the same session that screenshot 11 was taken from.

More to come in this post...
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Re: [CARMA2] The Pre-release In-Dev Mega Thread

Post by Razor »

Post reserved.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Post reserved.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Post reserved.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Post reserved.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Post reserved.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Post reserved.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Post reserved.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Post reserved.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Post reserved.

Check who’s online