Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

OK WTF? VanillaC2 not recognizing new car

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

OK WTF? VanillaC2 not recognizing new car

Post by Deep_Blue »

I can't have gotten so rusty I forgot how to add a car to C2...

I made a new car in CarEd, copied the car folder from CarEd to /VanillaC2/Data/Cars.
Made a .c2c by renaming stuff in an existing one and naming it exactly the name of the new car's folder/act/dat/mat/wam/txt
ran Carstockalypse.....Carstock did not see it in the cars to add window. So I deleted Carstock and downloaded it fresh from C.R.U.D. and re-ran it. It found the car instantly. hit arrow to add car and OK. No prob, right?

Wrong...

No new car shows up in cars menu.
it's in the opponent.txt as opponent #55 out of a total 56.
Text bit is correct as far as I can see. So I go poking around to check if the .c2c is correct...
Then I find *TWO* .c2cs... The one I made with the abbreviated (8.3 format) name of the car and it's folder and files, and one with the full (11.3 format) name of the car as it appears in the text bit for the menu (After the full and short driver names).

What. The. Shit?

I never made menu images-I just chucked the folder into the game to see what it looks like, like I always do before I go to work on the paperwork and menu images.... No seeum. Anybody got an idea why?

EDIT*** OK, so I added the car to another install of VanillaC2 I have and Carstock found it and added it, but now the game crashes loading it with this error:
error
error
Image1.jpg (9.65 KiB) Viewed 12435 times
The car is a Moskvich 412. The car's folder/act/dat/mat/txt/wam, etc. are all named "Mosky412." The car's .act file is named "Mosky412."

Grr..

EDIT SOME MORE:

This is the car in PT2. The actor clearly has more than four characters-unless the game means some other actor...
Mosky in Plaything
Mosky in Plaything
PT2.jpg (121.13 KiB) Viewed 12434 times

This is the car's .ACT file in hex editor:
Actor Hex dump
Actor Hex dump
FRHED.jpg (111.19 KiB) Viewed 12434 times

Anybody??
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Re: OK WTF? VanillaC2 not recognizing new car

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Let's go the easy way: upload what you have and we look at it and report back :grin:

Oh and by the way, it might indeed be another actor (whose identifier isn't listed in that PT2 screenshot) that only has less than 4 characters in its identifier. Double-check and if it's the case, just try to add one or two characters.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

All right then. Thanks for replying so quickly, Tosh.
I'll take another look at it again. It's possible I misnamed something. Neither in CarEd or Plaything or even the hex editor could I find *anything* named with less than four characters. Maybe looking at it with fresh eyeballs will show me what's wrong. The game obviously found it.
I have sometimes noticed an install of C2 can seem to go 'stale' and do some strange things (or not do proper things) after a long period of disuse. (One C2 install not finding a newly installed car even though I put it in the opponent.txt correctly, but a slightly newer install in a different folder finding it OK.)

It could be that both of my C2 installs have gotten slightly corrupted over time. As a last resort, I'll wipe em out and reinstall fresh. Meanwhile I'll upload the car when I get a break from work today so you can have a look. Thanks, man. :rockon:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Are you sure it's not just some silly mistake in the paperwork? An extra or missing line in the TXT or WAM that is causing the app to read the wrong value?
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Nah, Coffey... I'm *not* sure-but there really isn't anything but the CarEd-generated files and the .c2c

I just chucked it ingame to see what the model looked like and tweak the handling before I started smashies and falling off stuff (which I would have to update and recompile the model for as they're not all there yet.)
Buuuuut.... The first install of C2 didn't even see the .c2c. At all. neither did the second one until I deleted my copy of Carstock and downloaded a fresh one from Tosh/Econo's site. THEN it saw the .c2c and actually started loading until it got to the "less than four character actor" thing.
See, I thought it might've been the "V_8" mad max car that also loads as an opponent that had the weird, short actor name, but it already works so that's not the case.

Anyway here's the car zip if somebody could see if it works in their game. If it does I'll assume mine is corrupted and do a wipe-out/fresh install.

Nevermind..... Max file size is 256kb. this is 1.16MB

EDIT***

OK I re-D/L'ed Vanilla C2, did a fresh install, added a full savegame and edited it with CarmaSaveEd so I could pic any car. Picked my new car and it crashed and I got the "Less than 4 chars in car actor" again. I've looked in the .ACT file for the car and there's nothing in there with less than four characters.

I think I shall recompile the car and see if CarEd just didn't take a shit on me somewhere. :twisted:

EDIT AGAIN***

NNNNNNNnnnnope. Recompiled car-chucked folder ingame-same actor error.

WTF?! I haven't edited a thing about the car. Everything is as CarEd made it.

I checked the .txt, the .wam, the .act-anything that refers to the main car actor and it says MOSKY412 which is *clearly* more than four characters....
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Do you want to email me a zip? I don't know if I'll be able to spot the problem, but maybe another set of eyes looking at it....
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Yeah, sure. Lemme see if I still have your addy. 'Preciate the offer.

EDIT:

Sent the zip to the comcast address. PM me another one if that one was incorrect. :rockon:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I sent you a PM but it looks like it's still sitting in the OutBox?? Anyway, just change 'comcast' to 'verizon' everything else is the same including the '.net'
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Ah... Sorry. Got sidetracked. sending now.

EDIT: addy updated and car.zip sent.

Thanks for taking a look.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

You're right this is a weird one. I don't see anything with an empty name either.
I even tried renaming and making a copy in CarEd, recompiled.
Optimized it in PT2.
But still throws that error. :suicide:

So was this made from scratch in CarEd? Nothing imported from some other format?
I've never seen anything like this before...sorry I don't know what the heck is going on.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Can I have a look at it too?
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Tosh, I forwarded D_B's email with attached zip to ya.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Thanks for the file, Coffeycup :swink:

That was a very nice one! There's a space in the component name "412 BKWFRAME", just remove it and compile again. Should be good!

CarEd generates the WAM file automatically and thus wrote that name with the space as well. As it parsed the file, C2 stopped at the space and read that as "412".
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ha! You've got a good eye, I missed that completely... :thumbsup:

EDIT:
Yup that was the issue
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Yeah, good eye, Tosh! Wow... I gottta be more careful with naming. Didn't know that could affect things that way. Thanks for helping me out, fellas!

That thing doesn't look too bad ingame.

EDIT**

Yup. Much better. I'm on an 'old Soviet car' kick lately. I downloaded some Russian car games on Android recently that contain old Moskviches, Volgas, Zaporozhets, and Ladas. I kinda got to liking them as I'm a fan of small cars anyway. That "Communist Block" map could use some period-specific cars anyways. :grin:
Ivan The Testy.jpg
Ivan The Testy.jpg (29.13 KiB) Viewed 12291 times

Check who’s online