Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Object draw distance [Fixed - solution inside]

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
Gunsmith
driver

Post by Gunsmith »

is it me or is there a lack of consistency with object draw distance? things like barrels, dead peds and debris all seem to pop into existence at random distances.

I'm wondering if its a bug or if the draw value was left accidentally at console spec, has anyone else noticed this?

edit for visability:

copy this insto your miscmaps.lua

https://pastebin.com/FgWvrmrc
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

Gunsmith wrote:is it me or is there a lack of consistency with object draw distance? things like barrels, dead peds and debris all seem to pop into existence at random distances.

I'm wondering if its a bug or if the draw value was left accidentally at console spec, has anyone else noticed this?

Optimalisation I'm afraid =/
Gunsmith
driver

Post by Gunsmith »

well you're in luck as I've fixed it. the problem lies in the misc_maps.lua. you can either rip out the item cull section or toss in your misc_maps.lua from CR.

if you dont have an existing CR misc_maps.lua just copy pasta my custom .lua into the MD one and away you go.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Hey nice work on that. *shamelessly bumping an old topic*
ZeMantras
mechanic

Post by ZeMantras »

how DARE you to hide this topic on one of the biggest problems in this game, will try this asap.

Edit: works fine! also found out that if you set your Shadow options to Low or OFF you will get allot of Light popping in the distance :P so remember to have the shadow qual on Medium or High
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

¨Screenshots! (seriously) =D
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Gunsmith wrote:is it me or is there a lack of consistency with object draw distance? things like barrels, dead peds and debris all seem to pop into existence at random distances.

Same happens in version 1 and 2. You smash into a post or tree THEN it shows up.
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

Upon comming across your old youtube video, I came back here for your culling fix and now I remember, I dont know where do I find the misc_maps.lua =O pls advise
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

In the \Data_Misc\config\ folder.
a.k.a. Brent
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

Trent wrote:In the \Data_Misc\config\ folder.
=D thanks Trentarino!
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

LOLZ it fucked up the culling entirelly! peds are gone and most of the details on the cars are also POOF. what the fuck is this suppose to be? =D

Well not improvement

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1184000877
Gunsmith
driver

Post by Gunsmith »

CzechDeath wrote:LOLZ it fucked up the culling entirelly! peds are gone and most of the details on the cars are also POOF. what the fuck is this suppose to be? =D

Well not improvement

/sigh

copy paste this clerner version into your misc maps and try again.

CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

Gunsmith wrote:
CzechDeath wrote:LOLZ it fucked up the culling entirelly! peds are gone and most of the details on the cars are also POOF. what the fuck is this suppose to be? =D

Well not improvement

/sigh

copy paste this clerner version into your misc maps and try again.

Keep your sighs dude =D we are all friends here.

It's what I did. unless you really mean copy paste in to and not over, resulting in duplication of everything.

*EDIT*

Wellp It works now =D TY cheers and remember chinice medicine teaches about benefits of breathing with our nose ;)
Gunsmith
driver

Post by Gunsmith »

well at least its working now
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

Gunsmith wrote:well at least its working now
=D c'mon man I'm your loyal subscriber on youtube =3
krudanze
pedestrian

Post by krudanze »

wouldnt there by any chance be such magic trick for re-enabling the car lights shadows too?
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

krudanze wrote:wouldnt there by any chance be such magic trick for re-enabling the car lights shadows too?
That unfortunately is locked deep within SDK at this point. There was live disscussion amongst modders for some time regarding exactly this lack of shadowcasting. Unfortunatly only discovery produced by that, was that it cannot be enabled by any mod or script. =C
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

That unfortunately is locked deep within SDK at this point. There was live disscussion amongst modders for some time regarding exactly this lack of shadowcasting. Unfortunatly only discovery produced by that, was that it cannot be enabled by any mod or script. =C
By any chance, they didn't happen to mention that the absence of shadows from dynamic sources is a result of the Umbra configs?

Spoiler: Without Umbra Config

Spoiler: With Umbra Config

Just another '80s Dreamer....
Twitter Manifestation. - Mods for Max Damage.
Please do not use my old/deadname.
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

AW mah LAWD! We need this so much!

Shame that I have no idea what even are umbra configs, what is umbra? What-where am I ? Hello?! MOM?

EDIT*

Also Mike u gonna have to ask Trent or somthin'
krudanze
pedestrian

Post by krudanze »

WHAT! what is this umbra config? where can i find it and kill it?
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Good find, Mike. I hadn't even considered Umbra might be related to the issue but it makes pretty good sense.

For those who don't know: Umbra is the middleware which the game uses for occlusion culling, or determining which objects are visible in the scene to decide whether to draw them or not.

As far as my own investigations went I could see the lights were still set to cast shadows and the graphics settings still had them enabled and everything else pointed to it being either a bug in the rendering code not drawing the shadows or a deliberate "optimization" in the graphics pipeline. It never occurred to me that Umbra might be culling everything from the headlight's lightmap rendering.

Removing the Umbra setup script (Data_Core\Levels\[Level_Name]\Umbra\setup.lol) does give you headlights but that is NOT SOMETHING YOU SHOULD EVER DO in most of the game's levels for one very good reason: it destroys the framerate. My i7 6700k with GTX1080 doesn't dip below 100fps on Outskirts, but removing the Umbra script and thus disabling culling entirely drops it to below 10fps. That's not even due to the GPU being pushed too hard, without culling the GPU is actually used less than with culling enabled, it doesn't hit more than 30% usage because the game is trying to make far too many draw calls each frame causing both the CPU and GPU to spend a lot of time idle while they wait for each other to respond.

The issue is clearly in the TOME files which controls how Umbra culls the scenes. Being a propitiatory middleware this is a bit of a blackbox, I haven't come across any tools to edit the files or information about the structure of them. I would assume there's some culling plane settings in there which determine shadow culling but I've got no idea where those settings would live in the files and at a few megabytes a piece they're not easy to skim through. It would be handy if I could find some good info about the format somewhere :/
a.k.a. Brent
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Thanks Trent, it was something completely unexpected that I came across shortly after getting my environment in-game. Unfortunately for me, the versions of the umbra & Tome settings I've copied over so far all cause horrific culling issues for my level, which is not really surprising given they were not made for it. I will have to try all of the official ones and see which, if any, work best.

EDIT:

AW mah LAWD! We need this so much!

Shame that I have no idea what even are umbra configs, what is umbra? What-where am I ? Hello?! MOM?

EDIT*

Also Mike u gonna have to ask Trent or somthin'

Trent beat me to it on the explanation, I know what Umbra does, but I've got absolutely no idea how to make changes to the configurations of it hehe.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

You can't use tomes from other levels, they are potential visibility sets of the geometry in the level and need to match up exactly with the structure of the level. You would think minor changes to a level would cause minor mismatches to the tome and thus only minor rendering issues but even a minor change invalidates the whole thing.

I had tried using a tome from CR in CMD which ended up culling 99% of objects in the scene. You wont get a stock tome to work with your custom level so youre best off optimizing the level's geometry to work without a tome.
a.k.a. Brent
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Thanks Trent, that's pretty much what I thought was going to be the case.

Check who’s online