Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Flummery v0.3.8.9

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
FatCat
mindless

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by FatCat »

The only problem with wreckfest is that it's not open world and has either racing or concrete boxes to play smashy smash in.

Not really "as" open-ended as carma.

If you want Triple-A graphics and gameplay, just port them to GTAV.
MrDeviance
turbo bastard

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by MrDeviance »

FatCat wrote:The only problem with wreckfest is that it's not open world and has either racing or concrete boxes to play smashy smash in.

Not really "as" open-ended as carma.

If you want Triple-A graphics and gameplay, just port them to GTAV.

GTAV can become a really authentic carmageddon game if somebody actually takes that "carmageddon mod" name seriously and instead of just releasing a negative friction mod for traffic cars, they actually port carma cars into gta5, remove traffic cars and add powerups + gibbing to those gorgeous looking npc's.

The only downfall in gtav is that you most likely can't make new maps or port reincarnation ones.
FatCat
mindless

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by FatCat »

Deviance, mods were "never" supported by Rockstar for any of the GTA games, modders just manage to make mods somehow, it's what they do.
MrDeviance
turbo bastard

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by MrDeviance »

FatCat wrote:Deviance, mods were "never" supported by Rockstar for any of the GTA games, modders just manage to make mods somehow, it's what they do.

I know that. Which is why I say it's next to impossible to make a full fledged tc mod in that game.
Deadhart
motorised death

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Deadhart »

FatCat wrote:Deviance, mods were "never" supported by Rockstar for any of the GTA games, modders just manage to make mods somehow, it's what they do.

Hell not just "not supported", R* are actively trying to prevent modding. GTAIV had a lock on the files so that you couldn't do shit. Luckily people soon cracked it but still, the point is they want us to play the 'stock game' (translation: boring ugly turd). It might have something to do with Hot Coffe but come on, that's no reason to block us from installing good looking cars instead of their ugly mish-mash creations.
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Deadhart wrote:(translation: boring ugly turd)
Granted, there are some ugly cars in there, just like there are ugly cars in the real world.

It's understandable that Rockstar & Take 2 don't want people messing with the games as the Hot Coffee mod essentially got GTA:SA banned from a lot of mainstream retail stores in North America.
Just another '80s Dreamer....
Twitter Manifestation. - Mods for Max Damage.
Please do not use my old/deadname.
Deadhart
motorised death

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Deadhart »

'80s Time Warp wrote:

Granted, there are some ugly cars in there, just like there are ugly cars in the real world.

It's understandable that Rockstar & Take 2 don't want people messing with the games as the Hot Coffee mod essentially got GTA:SA banned from a lot of mainstream retail stores in North America.

It was them who put those animations there :D besides, they were about as sexy as General Custer's Revenge. Well and nowadays they put in yoga, golf and dog sex there instead, so if that is an outcome of the HC scandal, I say: NOT WORTH IT. Anyways, let's not talk about this anymore.

/end OT
starbuck
kill boss

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by starbuck »

Errol

I just started "studying" Flummery. I know you are busy doing a ton of stuff.

I am in the middle of reading this whole thread and testing flummmerys import and export and am getting crashes etc. Not in any way criticizing your work, its just for me nowadays its actually rocket science. Hell I even forgot how to use PT2 correctly.

Do you either have a sample file that imports correctly or give me some suggestions on what format of model to make. Of course I know what formats are what but what are the prerequisites ?I would like to do a "test" car and a "test" map so I can get used to the filing structure etc. I also need to keep my brain active or I go crazy.

PS I do have all newer versions of MAX with Trents MaxScripts but you might as well have me do brain surgery with a blindfold on that one :)

Thanks in advance and good luck.
Errol
Toxic Ranger

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Errol »

"Getting crashes etc" isn't particularly helpful.

What are you trying to import? If it is an FBX file, which program exported it? A sample of the file would be useful.

Are you using the compiled version of Flummery or running from source?

I need actual details to help. Cheers.
:: You wanna build a snowman mod C:R? Get Flummery, the Carmageddon modders tool. ::
starbuck
kill boss

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by starbuck »

So its made in MAX 2010. An FBX file.

Your precompiled version of flummery 3.6.9.

Windows 8.1.

Unhandled Exception

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at Flummery.ContentPipeline.Core.FBXImporter.Import(String path)

at Flummery.ContentManager.Load[T,T2](String assetName, String assetPath, Boolean bAddToScene)

at Flummery.frmMain.menuImportClick(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

File is only sitting in a regular folder and not a CR type of folder

Dont know how to attach files so ....

http://expirebox.com/download/19b517cd1ea221cfb10456d225a37786.html

Thanks for the fast reply. And of course feel free to edit this post once you read it.
starbuck
kill boss

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by starbuck »

BTW I was able to export a textured cube to DAT file in 3DSMax 2.0 and import it into Flummery from the DAT file.

But so far I read you were still working on FBX import. Which BTW the cube in FBX format did not work either. Perhaps its the export settings ?

Updating this post to keep things clean.

I downloaded that file PLOW3 and it opened fine in Flummery. Imported it into MAX 10 and exported to FBX and in Flummery the file crashed with the same error.
starbuck
kill boss

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by starbuck »

ERROL

Stop what you are doing. I was stupidly using an old version of the FBX Export.

I just had time today to read thru the rest of the thread.

Stupid me. It works fine. Sorry for wasting your time.

Now all I gotta do is find a way to attach the image file :)
TheCarsThatAteParis
pedestrian

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by TheCarsThatAteParis »

Sorry to go off topic Errol, but... any luck working with the contents of ZAD_VT? Trent mentioned you'd been working on something in that area. I'm keen to start messing with the environment textures and at present can't get at them. Do you know how they can be unpacked? Any assistance gratefully received!
Trent
mindless

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Trent »

I actually started looking into it last week as Errol mentioned it. Using Errol's ZAD code I got the VT ZADs extracting, I then went on and parsed most of the data in the Environment.zad TDX files and have hopefully got the tiles stitching together into a giant DDS image, though that is currently untested. Once that is tested and working it will be on to splitting the VT into the original textures. Then the fun of compiling the VT again.

As far as I know Errol has got as far as stitching the VT together too, though he hadn't committed his code to his git repository yet.
a.k.a. Brent
starbuck
kill boss

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by starbuck »

Update on the importing. It DID work fine but kept getting an error message about importing the graphic format. So I looked at the CS code and saw about 4 types of images files it imports.

No error message at all now.
farellfoxx
driver

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by farellfoxx »

Out of curiosity/boredom; is there any particular way/process to using this program? I see people have made vehicles or a few maps; and I'm just sitting here, wondering what happens past importing the model. I'm not a 'real' modder by any means, but it sounds interesting to get into... Now even more with CarMODgeddon. I've wanted to mod a Carmageddon Car for a while now; even if only a skin. Does anyone have any specifics or ways that they achieved their in-game goodness?

I'm willing to learn from you; teach me well, 'Masters'... Please be patient with me!
starbuck
kill boss

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by starbuck »

I started learning how to use it for CR but then got distracted and am using it now to make ACT DAT and MAT files for Carmageddon 2.

While you are bored you might want to try what I am doing. I made a separate folder holding all the CR files in it for modding. Then I "extracted" all the ZADS I could to learn the file structures and such. This includes for example making Text files of the LOL files. This way you could knock down each hurdle one by one.

Now you COULD also go to the student section of 3DSMax and tell them you are a student and download their 3DSMax software for free. PS everyone is a student.

Make models using the PNG image format as textures.

Then start learning that to maybe someday get your models into the game once they are ready, There is a ton of free student software.

http://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/3ds-max
farellfoxx
driver

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by farellfoxx »

starbuck wrote:I started learning how to use it for CR but then got distracted and am using it now to make ACT DAT and MAT files for Carmageddon 2.

While you are bored you might want to try what I am doing. I made a separate folder holding all the CR files in it for modding. Then I "extracted" all the ZADS I could to learn the file structures and such. This includes for example making Text files of the LOL files. This way you could knock down each hurdle one by one.

Now you COULD also go to the student section of 3DSMax and tell them you are a student and download their 3DSMax software for free. PS everyone is a student.

Make models using the PNG image format as textures.

Then start learning that to maybe someday get your models into the game once they are ready, There is a ton of free student software.

http://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/3ds-max

This is helpful; thanks! I was kind of shying away from 3ds max; but... (Didn't know about the student license!)

Is it absolutely necessary? Can I make mods without it?
AlexTSK
mindless

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by AlexTSK »

Depending on the mod. If you want to do anything that involves text editing such as changing car handling then get yourself Notepad ++. If you're into skinning then knowledge of a 2D(Photoshop, GIMP) package will suffice. If you want to create brand new geometry/textures or alter the existing vehicles' geometry you're going to have to get to grips with a 3D package.
starbuck
kill boss

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by starbuck »

Overall 3DSMax to me is the way to go. I had my first licensed version way back during Max 6 and just used it for fun. Got stuck with that version until 2010 when the SVs were released. YES I for example would spend 600 dollars for a 3D printer just to have one :)

Then about 4 years ago the student versions came out a month after they said they would never have them.

Considering texture placement etc. Its really easy. Plus I have had the 2010 Student version for almost 5 years and it hasnt taken away the free license yet.

Besides its FREE :)

I use Paintshop pro and 3DSMax. of course Paintshop I had to pay for years ago but it still works.

PS Max 2.0 and 3.1 are free as well , available on one of the popular Carmageddon sites. It has the name "RR2000" or something. The publishers who made those no longer have the rights to them and 2.0 also has Carmageddon 2 exporters along with them.

EDIT Its especially good cause you can get Trents MaxScript code to use in it but THAT is very complicated for me to use.
starbuck
kill boss

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by starbuck »

BTW Fox. I just tested Flummery with a file that was created in Max, Exported with PNG images files. And not only did Flummery export the file perfectly ready for Plaything2 it also converted the PNG image files into TIFs. And then I was able to run the un preprocessed track in Carma2 with out even using Plaything2 to pre process yet.

So looks like I got a new converter for Plaything2 instead of BeMax. Later to test it and see if it pre- processes by adding a glass wall and textures that produce pedestrains. Even if it doesnt it still looks like a LOT easier way to do it than before..
farellfoxx
driver

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by farellfoxx »

I'm not trying to burst your bubble; I certainly do not wish to be rude, but are we talking about Carmageddon 2 now? I realize that Flummery probably does a greatly expansive amount, but I was more interested in Reincarnation. The ease of use is a good sign though!

If I were to... import the original hawk; maybe the eagle from Carmageddon; would anyone know how to set that up? I'm just aiming for a little more simplistic model to start with, I may just skin one of the existing cars...

I know that Trent is kind of already doing this; but as I have said:

I am just a bit impatient; I always have been. I apologize for that; but how will I learn?

(Starbuck; you've seen it in my CarMODgeddon thread!)
starbuck
kill boss

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by starbuck »

OK weird glitch in Flummery.

I tried taking one of my old maps from C2 and importing the FBX file into Flummery and the models parts were placed in odd places around the screen.

I basically made the letters "TO" to find out which directrions the file would show up in Plaything2 so I could just rotate it properly in max beforehand.

The FBX file opened up properly in MAX 2015.

So what is wrong is Flummery glitching ? Its the precompiled version of Flummery, made it in the 2015 version of Max.

Located here unless anyone wants a different site.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=05378720712002593350

In the meantime I will try to find version 7.4 of the plugin and post any updates in THIS post if no one responds.

BTW this also happened to my original map file where a quite a few sections were rotated incorrectly.
farellfoxx
driver

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by farellfoxx »

How does one go about placing 'nodes' in the program? That and getting coordinates...
hazardic
motorised death

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by hazardic »

Is there a way i can export to something different except fbx or cnt? like 3ds of obj? Could you please add these formats too? Or this is just not possible because of ip?
AlexTSK
mindless

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by AlexTSK »

OBJ was in there but it was removed because it didn't transfer the smoothing groups. Why would you want another format? what 3D application are you using?
hazardic
motorised death

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by hazardic »

well for editing i prefer zmodeler. it's a dumb, i know, but 3dmax is too complicated for me
AlexTSK
mindless

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by AlexTSK »

Haven't used zmodeler so I have no idea how you'd get a mesh in there, I'm guessing it supports 3ds, so if you have 3ds max then import the fbx in there and export to zmodeler.
hazardic
motorised death

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by hazardic »

oh, ok then, if 3dmax supports fbx seems legit. thanks
AlexTSK
mindless

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by AlexTSK »

Yep, the whole reason Errol worked his ass off on he fbx support is because its a format which pretty much any major 3D application today can export/import.
hazardic
motorised death

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by hazardic »

nope didn't work well, after importing 3ds model just exploded and besides hasn't smoothed at all despite cnt was exported into fbx with fully assembled model

Errol
Toxic Ranger

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Errol »

If the FBX imported into 3ds max correctly then the problem lies with whatever you did thereafter. I can't really help you with that.

In other news...

:: You wanna build a snowman mod C:R? Get Flummery, the Carmageddon modders tool. ::
AlexTSK
mindless

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by AlexTSK »

hazardic wrote:nope didn't work well, after importing 3ds model just exploded and besides hasn't smoothed at all despite cnt was exported into fbx with fully assembled model
It looks like either the export out of 3dsmax went wrong, or zmodeler doesn't have the same co-ordinate system, the parts are all backwards and all over the place.
FatCat
mindless

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by FatCat »

My friend, it is the year 2015, zmodeler is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay outdated, barebones, and just plain bad, please use something newer, there are vastly, VASTLY superior alternatives, even free ones.
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by '80s Time Warp »

My friend, it is the year 2015, zmodeler is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay outdated, barebones, and just plain bad, please use something newer, there are vastly, VASTLY superior alternatives, even free ones.
Does my stuff look outdated, barebones and just plain bad? :P

It's what I use to do most of the fundamental construction work & UV mapping on all my models. There is a beauty in its simplicity, no convoluted interfaces with 50+ ways of doing the same thing, It's great for fundamental work and that's it.

3dsmax then steps in to fill in the gaps that Zmod can't fill (vertex colours, lighting, rendering/AO/Baking, etc). I personally prefer to have full control over exactly where the triangles go in my models and not rely on any algorithms or automation to do my work for me, that's my personal preference :)
Just another '80s Dreamer....
Twitter Manifestation. - Mods for Max Damage.
Please do not use my old/deadname.

Check who’s online