Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Changing Default Controls (Key Mapping)

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
Fuel
speed freak

Changing Default Controls (Key Mapping)

Post by Fuel »

A quick tutorial for those that wish to change their controls.

This process will need to be done after each update/patch. I would advise keeping a copy of the Controls_General.txt file to make it easier to change after a patch, at least until Stainless implement the rebindable keys function in-game.
  1. Go to the ZAD folder in your Carmageddon Reincarnation root folder. *Beginner's Tip* right click on the game in your steam list, select 'properties' then select the 'local files' tab and click on 'browse local files' - this will take you to the root folder for C:R
  2. Open the scripts.zad file with an archive program of your choice. For this guide I will be referring to WinRAR as that's what I use.
  3. Navigate to Data_Core/Setup/ in the archive
  4. Open the Controls_General.txt file
  5. Change the keys you wish to use for the required control. In general, keys that start with 'PC_' are for keyboard and mouse controls, the rest are for controllers. See note{*} below for more details.
  6. Once finished, save the file and confirm that you wish to update it in the archive when WinRAR asks you to
{*} For example if you wish to have the Insert button as recover, as per classic Carmageddon, add 'PC_Insert' under the header [Recover]. You can either replace the default control that is already there or simply add it as well as the default control.

IMPORTANT - Keys can be assigned multiple times for many actions.
I personally changed accelerate, brake, turn left and right to the numpad buttons ala Carma 1 but I forgot to change their default assignment. This led to the camera view changing everytime I wanted to turn the car.. You have been warned!

Check who’s online