Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Noblesse Oblige

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
coffeycup
Genesis

Noblesse Oblige

Post by coffeycup »

I was reading the other day and came across the term 'Noblesse Oblige' and it got me thinking about all us old timers and the newer folks at Carma.com.

As VIP members I think we need to act a little more 'noble'. I AM THE BIGGEST OFFENDER. I started a new drawing topic and basically pissed in my own Cheerios and started complaining about n00bs. Bad move on my part. I realized either I need to stop posting or change my tactics.

If you're not familair with the term it basically means, nobles are expected to act noblely. Not act like a commoner and don't be drawn into petty arguments etc.

I guess where I'm going with this is when C:R does finally come out we're going to want people downloading our stuff and not saying 'I wouldn't download that asshole's stuff if it was the last stuff on earth'.

This probably sounds all high and mighty and very elitist, but we are the VIPs in the community. I think I at least need to start acting like it.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Re: Noblesse Oblige

Post by Harmalarm »

I get your point, and must agree for the most part. I just think there isn't much shame in the way we have been behaving to be honest. I mean, haven't we given a lot of help and information, not to mention patience and time? There is only so much we can handle before getting frustrated by childish behaviour which seems to be going round lately.

That being said, a sour behaviour might scare away the good newcomers, which is off course very undesirable. As long as we don't end up as 'that grumpy bunch of carma fans from the past' I think we are still in the green.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ok, you're right. I should've prefaced this with - we and especially Tosh have been super helpful and patient.
Ok, maybe not me so much. :grin: And have been essentially Stainless' support team for C1, C1 gog and C2.

I just don't want to come across any older and grumpier than I already am. :oops:

Now get off my lawn, you kids!
cArmAkAze
Jesus, Hatebreed

Post by cArmAkAze »

Why should we change? We're older, wiser, and more set in our ways. Oh no! God forbid we have opposing views to the new generation! No, it's these damn kids that need to change, grow some thicker skin for crying out loud. If they can't take a bit of criticism over the World Wide Web, how the hell do they get by in real life? It boggles the mind.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

LOL you're like the little devil on my other shoulder... You do not know how many times I just wanted to say "fer chrissake, grow a pair and stop whining ya little turdbiter" . Actually, I have said things to that effect. Usually at that point I get a PM from a mod saying 'yo Coffey play nice, please' :tongue:

I was gonna try and take the high road, for once, but we'll see just how long that lasts.
cArmAkAze
Jesus, Hatebreed

Post by cArmAkAze »

I haven't spent much time at Carma.com, but I hope it's not one of those boards where if your opinion is not that of the general consensus, mods start sending you PMs along the lines of "you clearly don't have the same opinion as everyone else, perhaps you should stop posting before things get out of hand". I've been a part of a few of those boards (briefly), and they often turned into complete circle jerks.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Well, I was talking about other forums too. :grin:

I really don't know how long I'll be able to keep my mouth shut.
When I read about people trying to turn Carma into Mario Kart Racing it's REALLY hard not to lose it....(gritting teeth)
cArmAkAze
Jesus, Hatebreed

Post by cArmAkAze »

coffeycup wrote:When I read about people trying to turn Carma into Mario Kart Racing it's REALLY hard not to lose it....(gritting teeth)
And they wonder why the old timers lose it. It's not a case of "not wanting to get with the times" or "not wanting to change", it's more like "not wanting to make a shitty-ass game with a lot of stupid ideas". Lest they forget, if it weren't for guys like you keeping the scene alive and well for over 15 years, I highly doubt anyone would even be dreaming about making another Carmageddon game. I'd say ya'll have a pretty good grasp on how to make Reincarnation a great game, you have lived and breathed it for over a fucking decade.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

These 'kids' have a lot to learn from someone like you or Deep_Blue (who used to post gigantic moralizing posts in the midst of flamewars back in the days). I guess that it all depends on the context and content of the noob's intervention as to whether you should go easier with him or not. But there's certainly no shame in beheaving as ourselves. The fact we are oldtimers and probably know Carmageddon better than Stainless themselves doesn't change a thing in my eyes. We are still online users, we just know better than most of the new fanbase. That doesn't entitle/force us to any kind of noble beheaviour.

Let's just stay the way we are, it's just the internet anyway. Sometimes we might get a little carried away in that regard, but if it does us good, it's for the best then. Plus the noob must also understand that "it's just the internet" and our opposition/harsh feedback is no big deal anyway.

Personaly I try to care as little as possible nowadays. Resisting the urge to reply to stupid comments, just because it's a waste of time anyway :)
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Well, it sounded good in theory but in practice it's a lot harder. I agree, I mostly now just try not to respond. A couple of times I have typed out a response and then, instead hitting Submit, just X-ing out of the window. It ain't worth the frustration sometimes.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ah fuck it. I give up, I'm too much of a hot head to play nice with morons.
I need to just stop responding to posts, my blood pressure will thank me.

Ya can't fix stupid, as the saying goes.
n3wton
Wasted!

Post by n3wton »

just change your host file, so everytime you goto the carma.com forums you end up here! :D
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

:slol: heh
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Ah ya, I remember those days of long-winded "get-yer-shit-straight" posts. Some of 'em worked. Got folks simmered down and working together once inna while. ('least that's the way I remembered it.)

We DID manage not to break the big mirror over the bar, din't we?

I'll never forget Raven taking my head clean off the first time I posted on this board. Right out of the blue, he did. It din't last long.

I applaud yer 'tude and resolve, Coffey. I think as long as we don't forget our n00b days, we'll always be able to communicate.

Having said that: Screw Mario Kart and all the variants thereof.

Oh...Yeah....and "Get off my lawn, you damn kids!!!"

:supermad: :lol:
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***

Check who’s online