Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

C:MD Modding as of 2024

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
STShotgun
turbo bastard

C:MD Modding as of 2024

Post by STShotgun »

Thought I'd make a thread that pulls together the relevant modding content here on the CWA forum, especially since the C:MD forums were all combined so it's a bit hard to find the right stuff.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Experimental Beta Patch:

The patch for unrestricted modding - the last 'official' update for C:MD, though it wasn't considered finished. Even so, you'll definitely want this as it fully unlocks modding and allows you play through career with mods, among other improvements such as the fixed normal maps. It also has all of the .lol files replaced with their original lua scripts, which is a million times better to work with compared to the old way. :smile:

Quick guide: Go into C:MD's Steam properties -> Betas, then put VmfPZyCgXec4v2R4 into the code section and select 'experimental' in the drop-down menu.

Some FYIs:
  • It's only on Steam. (sorry GOG users)
  • CarMODgeddon isn't used in the same way as vanilla, so the CarMODgeddon launch option is no longer used and MINGE isn't used for installing mods. Instead you'll need to update old car mods in some way:
    ► Show Spoiler
  • The CarMODgeddon sandbox mode is only enabled when you run a zip mod, via the -mod= launch command.
  • .zad mods will allow you to play through career with the progression intact, .zip mods will put the game into the sandbox mode that unlocks everything. There are no differences between zads and zips other than the extension and where they go.
  • When modding, the game will still give you the annoying modified data message that says you can no longer save - it's not true, it's just that the popup was never updated in the patch. My Overhaul/Trent's Cheat UI mod will get rid of the popup.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mods:
    • C:MD Overhaul - my mod which reworks the balancing, adds content and generally updates the game overall.
    • The '80s Garage - '80s Time Warp's huge Megapack mod which adds 50+ vehicles to C:MD. (Overhaul compatibility patches here)
    • Cheat UI Mod - Trent's mod which unlocks all of the game's content as well as adds extra options to Freeplay.
      (will most likely conflict with the Overhaul if you run both at the same time)
    • Alex's Garage - AlexTSK's high quality mods and vehicles.
      • Extra info:
        ► Show Spoiler
    • FatCat's Modding - FatCat's expansive modding thread which has a variety of content. Sadly the thread ended up broken after coming over from the official forums, so the forum post links won't work.
      • Extra info:
        ► Show Spoiler
    • Psyrgery's Damage balance tweaks for C:MD Freeplay - Psyrgery's mods which reworks the game's balancing. It seems his mods are entire scripts.zad replacements, so you'll need to rename them to something like zmod_psyrgery_tweaks.zad or something along those lines. It's not compatible with the Overhaul, just FYI.

Others - legacy/dead, etc:
    ► Show Spoiler
    There are probably other threads I can put in this section but I haven't found them yet.

Modding Guides:
    • Making car skins for C:MD - A guide I left on DuneCity's thread explaining how to make a skin addon. It was written for the CU:NT specifically but you can use it for any car.

Tools:
    • Flummery v0.3.8.9 - a heavily WIP modding tool by Errol which does a variety of things.
    • GibbedTools - A tool modified by Trent, it's what you'll use for converting C:MD's TDX textures to PNG, and back again. Beta version here.
      • For 2D/UI images, you can simply convert from/to TDX by dragging them onto the exe.
      • For 'rendered' textures (diffuse and speculars, e.g. for cars, peds, objects, etc.), you'll need to convert them using -flags=16384 --d5 %1, which'll make the textures appear as they should instead of appearing weirdly bright.
        e.g. use a .bat with this:

Code: Select all

Gibbed.Duels.TdxConvert.exe -flags=16384 --d5 %1
    • MINGE - Trent's tool which, while it's no longer used for installing mods, can still be used to extract the game's data and run the game without zads, if you wish to have that.
    • LOLDecoder - Trent's tool for decoding C:MD's .lol files. Not needed when using the Experimental C:MD version.
    C:MD Mods: Overhaul / Car Lot
    Shokomi
    pedestrian

Re: C:MD Modding as of 2022

Post by Shokomi »

Big Thanks man, I finally got CMD going wow, PCs are a pain!!!

Anyway playing your mod and it seems to work good thanks for the summary page

3 questions.

1 .I miss the reward of timefilling when you smash into cars. how can i increase this timelimit?

2 . I did not manage to change the acceleration of the cars. Could not find the Setup

3. In C.R its supposed to be and Ultra graphic-setting, Can this be implemented on CM.D ?

BIG THANKS!!
    STShotgun
    turbo bastard

Post by STShotgun »

Shokomi wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:17 am Big Thanks man, I finally got CMD going wow, PCs are a pain!!!

Anyway playing your mod and it seems to work good thanks for the summary page
    np :beer:

Shokomi wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:17 am 1 .I miss the reward of timefilling when you smash into cars. how can i increase this timelimit?
    You can go into the Scripts folder and edit game_balancing.lua, then look for the 'car_impact_active' setting, then you can increase the amount of time you get for ramming :smile:

Shokomi wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:17 am 2 . I did not manage to change the acceleration of the cars. Could not find the Setup
    If you want to change the acceleration of a particular car, then go into the Vehicles folder, then the folder for whatever car you want to change, then go into setup.lua and edit the 'car:SetPowerMultiplier(x)' setting.

If you want to change the speed for every car at once, then you can edit the Power upgrades in default_apo_vehicle.lua, which is also in the Vehicles folder.

Shokomi wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:17 am 3. In C.R its supposed to be and Ultra graphic-setting, Can this be implemented on CM.D ?
    Not sure if there's much that can be done in that area.
    Shokomi
    pedestrian

Post by Shokomi »

STShotgun.

I stubled upon a bug.

The '80s Garage - '80s Time Warp's huge Megapack mod which adds 50+ vehicles to C:MD. (Overhaul compatibility patch here)

It appears that when driving these awesome cars the engine sound is missing. Its kinda alittle sad but what a great job with the cars!!!
    STShotgun
    turbo bastard

Post by STShotgun »

What mods do you have loaded? Are you running the Megapack with the Overhaul? If so, are you running the compatibility patch at the same time?
    Shokomi
    pedestrian

Post by Shokomi »

I fixed it.

But it looks like there are new cars in this pack?
    RoRoCraziness
    pedestrian

Post by RoRoCraziness »

When I tried AlexTSK's Pre-Alpha Eagle R, even as a zip mod, it corrupted my save file when using the Experimental Beta patch & Overhaul mod. Maybe I did something wrong on my end, but just a fair warning to anyone wanting to play around with that car.

The rest of the cars linked here work fine, though. :thumbsup:

I know I probably shouldn't be tampering with this stuff. It's not my intention to change the creators' visions or re-distribute anything. But I've been updating them a tad bit to be on par with the rest of the cars in the Overhaul mod (giving them the permanent "Peds on Map" powerup, for example) and having them appear in the Career mode. In the case of FatCat's cars, I also added some basic vehicle names/driver names/bios so they don't just appear as filenames in-game.

If you don't mind me asking, where would I go to edit the scoreboard names? So names appear shorter instead of showing their full names during matches, like the base game and '80s Time Warp's cars?
    STShotgun
    turbo bastard

Post by STShotgun »

RoRoCraziness wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:13 pm When I tried AlexTSK's Pre-Alpha Eagle R, even as a zip mod, it corrupted my save file when using the Experimental Beta patch & Overhaul mod. Maybe I did something wrong on my end, but just a fair warning to anyone wanting to play around with that car.
    Strange it would also corrupt your saves even as a zip file, since it should be fine when it isn't locked. :crazy:
    RoRoCraziness wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:13 pm If you don't mind me asking, where would I go to edit the scoreboard names? So names appear shorter instead of showing their full names during matches, like the base game and '80s Time Warp's cars?
    Sadly adding short driver names would involve editing and replacing the game's/mods' text .bsf files, which also requires a currently-unreleased tool. :sad:
    RoRoCraziness
    pedestrian

Post by RoRoCraziness »

STShotgun wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:22 pmSadly adding short driver names would involve editing and replacing the game's/mods' text .bsf files, which also requires a currently-unreleased tool. :sad:
    Ahhh dang. Oh well. No worries! Thanks for the answer.
    Sleep Dirt
    hit n run

Post by Sleep Dirt »

Oh my fucking god!! "The patch for unrestricted modding"

I've been wishing/hoping/praying for this since reincarnation release, I'd accepted this would never be a thing and I'd likly never bother playing C:MD again! I'd just stopped by in preparation of installing and modding C2 again, and thought fuck it lets see whats going on with CMD, immensely happy I did.

Holy shit, I think I'm going into a state of shock!?!
    The Ocean Is the Ultimate Solution.

Check who’s online