Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Custom Texture mod

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
Iamsheepdog
pedestrian

Custom Texture mod

Post by Iamsheepdog »

I am having some trouble getting into minor texture edits.

My first mini project was to add the white lines to the Subpressor and APC wheels. I used Gibbs tools to convert the files for editing. I only edited the _D

_d diffused

_n Normals

_S Spectacular

I am using Gimp to edit the _D map.

The changes are effective in game, however my textures are "white washed" the are a lot brighter then the original, in game, viewing them in gimp or through windows they are the same darkness and colors as the vanilla unmodified file.

Why am I getting this white wash effect?

My images are exported from gimp with them flattened, and I have tried removing the Alpha channel with no effect.

My only work around was to dramatically darken the texture file before export.

http://imgur.com/a/8mvIB
Trent
mindless

Custom Texture mod

Post by Trent »

When you save the texture out of gimp, does it retain the exact same alpha channel as the original texture? The game uses the alpha channel of the diffuse map to control smoothness/reflectivity, where an alpha of 0% makes the material rough and entirely unreflective and an alpha of 100% makes it entirely smooth and reflective and that sounds like what is happening to you.
a.k.a. Brent
Iamsheepdog
pedestrian

Custom Texture mod

Post by Iamsheepdog »

I will give that a try, other issue which I'm sure is a gimp issue is that .dds (save as any form of dxt5) files made with gimp will not convert it crashes the converter so I have to leave the file in .png

I gave this a try, I used masks and tried adjusting the alpha layer of the image itself, alpha in gimp seems to be hard tied to opacity, and effects the opacity. when exporting it as .png, I get only the option of full opacity which makes the texture black, or no opacity which makes it white washed.

I had this issue while trying to use gimp for fallout 4 mods gave up try to figure out how to modife specific channels and bough a month of photoshop to make my textures. Might have to do the same here......
Trent
mindless

Custom Texture mod

Post by Trent »

Yes, most image software and formats use the alpha channel for opacity. Gimp must have options for saving alpha/opacity in PNG files correctly or it would be a bit shit...

And no, gibbed tools does not support DDS files, really TDX files are basically DDS with a different header so gibbed tools would be redundant for converting them as the whole point of gibbed tools is to convert images to and from GPU compatible compression formats, this version is just tweaked to use TDX instead of DDS. I guess it wouldn't take much work to knock up a tool to change the headers in a DDS file to make a TDX.

PNG is the recommended format though it might support TIF format, not sure about TGA. I keep meaning to write a better converter with a proper GUI instead of awkward command lines and better support for formats all around but it's fairly low on my priority list right now.
a.k.a. Brent
LuckyMike
hit n run

Custom Texture mod

Post by LuckyMike »

You can download original white striped wheels.

?

Check who’s online