Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Mod request: stronger cars

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
swizard
pedestrian

Post by swizard »

Hey everybody reading. I have the following request, which I haven't been able to figure out how to create: could you make a mod that makes hitting other cars stronger? I feel that often when you drive into another car, you're almost a paper weight unless going REALLY fast or using a powerup. I'd figure it would be much more fun to be able to drive into a car and actually do damage (like how the AI opponent wrecks you).

And to ask even more, is it possible to increase the handling of every car? The bad handeling is more true to the original carmegedon, but it feels very sluggish and could use an update.

Thanks in advance!
STShotgun
turbo bastard

Post by STShotgun »

About the damage, you should try Psyrgery's Damage Balancing mod as it pretty much does exactly what you're asking for:
http://www.carmageddon.com/forum/topic/29739

Obviously be aware that it will lock you out of multiplayer and stops you from saving your progress while it's installed, but it works like a treat for Freeplay.

About the handling, it is possible to make the cars more grippier, and it's pretty easy to do since the grip values are stored in the setup.lol in a car's ZAD file.

For example, taken from the Eagle's setup:

car:SetTractionFactor(1.2)

car:SetRearGrip(1.6)
car:SetFrontGrip(1.7)

However I feel like there might be a global value we can tweak as even though it seems that most of the cars' grip values haven't changed from C:R, they feel a bit more grippy in C:MD anyway, so maybe there's an easier method of making them all handle with extra grip at once instead of having to edit every car's setup. Maybe someone else can help with this.
C:MD Mods: Overhaul / Car Lot
Gunsmith
driver

Post by Gunsmith »

jesus christ am I going to have to create a guide teaching people how to drive?

yes i think i bloody am. /grumble
swizard
pedestrian

Post by swizard »

Thanks STShotgun! Guess I missed that mod as it was in general discussion. And Gunsmith, although it is possible to drive, the current grip just doesn't feel fun for me. Carmegeddon is a silly game that should be just fun, in my opinion at least.

Edit: it would be nice if there was a single value you could change to fix the handling
Doctor Fraggington
turbo bastard

Post by Doctor Fraggington »

Gunsmith wrote:jesus christ am I going to have to create a guide teaching people how to drive in Carmageddon?
Fixed. Before, there was the implication that people who can't drive in Carma can't drive in real life.
swizard
pedestrian

Post by swizard »

Doctor Fraggington wrote:
Gunsmith wrote:jesus christ am I going to have to create a guide teaching people how to drive in Carmageddon?

Fixed. Before, there was the implication that people who can't drive in Carma can't drive in real life.

Haha oh man, driving a car in real life is like 1/10 on a difficulty scale where Carma is a 10/10
Gunsmith
driver

Post by Gunsmith »

swizard wrote:
Haha oh man, driving a car in real life is like 1/10 on a difficulty scale where Carma is a 10/10
in real life you're not taking 90° corners at 70 in a RWD car.
swizard
pedestrian

Post by swizard »

Gunsmith wrote:
swizard wrote:

Then again in real life, if you turn at a speed of 60 km/h, you don't lose control of where you're going every bloody time
AlexTSK
mindless

Post by AlexTSK »

swizard wrote:
Gunsmith wrote:
swizard wrote:

Then again in real life, if you turn at a speed of 60 km/h, you don't lose control of where you're going every bloody time

And the cars in CR don't have ABS, traction control, etc
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

swizard wrote:
If you drive in real life like people do in Carma then, yes, you would lose control all the time. Or if you drive in Carma like you do in real life then you wouldn't lose control in the game at all.
a.k.a. Brent
swizard
pedestrian

Post by swizard »

Trent wrote:
swizard wrote:

If you drive in real life like people do in Carma then, yes, you would lose control all the time. Or if you drive in Carma like you do in real life then you wouldn't lose control in the game at all.

I don't know what kind of cars you drive, or how off-track you do, but cars have pretty darn good grip on the road. Much better than in carma
Fuelinjectedsuicidemachine
hit n run

Post by Fuelinjectedsuicidemachine »

swizard wrote:Then again in real life, if you turn at a speed of 60 km/h, you don't lose control of where you're going every bloody time
If you do it right you can do turns even at 200 km/h in the game without losing control. Yes, on a keyboard too. Obviously not in narrow corners, but if you're using a good combination of hand brake, wheel spin and sensibly tapping the keys to countersteer aso., it works and is FUN. Also use the power of the cars to make quick, fast and tight maneuvers. It sounds hard, but if you practice some more, you'll eventually find it intuitive after a while. There really isn't anything unpredictable or illogical about the handling at all. ;)
Gunsmith
driver

Post by Gunsmith »

Fuelinjectedsuicidemachine wrote:
If you do it right you can do turns even at 200 km/h in the game without losing control. Yes, on a keyboard too. Obviously not in narrow corners, but if you're using a good combination of hand brake, wheel spin and sensibly tapping the keys to countersteer aso., it works and is FUN. Also use the power of the cars to make quick, fast and tight maneuvers. It sounds hard, but if you practice some more, you'll eventually find it intuitive after a while. There really isn't anything unpredictable or illogical about the handling at all. ;)
this man! he gets it!

Check who’s online