Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

[MOD] Darker Blood and Higher FOV

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
deadsheep
hit n run

Post by deadsheep »

No Carmageddon: Max Damage modding subforum yet, so posting this here until it gets created & moved :)

Original Blood:

Darker Blood:

Original FOV:

Higher FOV:

You might want to bring the camera a little closer to the vehicle to compensate the higher FOV.

Installation:

1. Go to "...\Carmageddon Max Damage\ZAD\" directory and rename the original "scripts.zad" file to "scripts_main.zad" (or anything else). This is to make sure that the game loads the modded files we'll be adding.

2. Copy & paste zmod_scripts.zad to "...\Carmageddon Max Damage\ZAD\" directory.

Sadly, multiplayer is locked out, so this is more of a proof of concept.

Thanks to Rigor for pointing out where the blood colors are defined.

Thanks to Trent for giving some tips on how to make this behave closer to a "proper" mod.

Download:

zmod_scripts.zad - Dropbox link

Have fun!
superwizzman
mechanic

Post by superwizzman »

Nice ! It works online or you will be blocked?
LuckyMike
hit n run

Post by LuckyMike »

Superwizzman wrote:It works online or you will be blocked?
blocked

Deadsheep wrote:Sadly, no career progress and multiplayer is locked out, so this is more of a proof of concept.
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

Shit I love this!

also blocked career? I thought that the cloud saves bypassed that

MP is obvious tho...
Sa1cor
turbo bastard

Post by Sa1cor »

Sad that we don't have an official fov slider, happy this can no longer be used in mp to gain an advantage over others :) I really like the blood though
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

Sa1cor wrote:Sad that we don't have an official fov slider, happy this can no longer be used in mp to gain an advantage over others :) I really like the blood though
Another thing... yes

I think stainless would really save them selves lots of whining if they made FOV slider and blood color RGB sliders so that users can mix whatever fhe fucking blood shade they desire...

OPTIONS! The more options the less whining - period

Speaking of options (menus) maybe Trent could be able to implement such menu options? =D that would be epic as fuck!

*EDIT* actually no... if it was official addition, that would be epic as fuck.

I mean are menus easier to do/edit than ingame content? like models, textures, shaders and so on? I would guess they are...
MemoryKill
hit n run

Post by MemoryKill »

That's good work man. I'll wait until we can use it in career somehow, I think trent said it may be possible just not sure when/how.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Good stuff, but why are you replacing the original ZAD file? The golden rule of making ZAD mods is NEVER EDIT THE ORIGINAL ZAD FILES. Make a new ZAD file containing only the modified files in the correct folders and make sure the new ZAD's filename starts with a Z. It will get loaded after everything else and the files in it will be used instead of the originals. This means you don't need to bugger around with backing up any files and replacing them, you just drop the ZAD in and then when you want to go back to the original game you remove it.
a.k.a. Brent
JeReMiZ
hit n run

Post by JeReMiZ »

For an unknown reason, in Max Damage it ignore the file and changes if I simply add it like "zscripts.zad" or something like that. Any clue?
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Ahh, I see what's happened. Stainless are a clever bunch of fuckers, aren't they?

Scripts.zad contains some vital core scripts which absolutely should not be altered by anyone anywhere as they configure the core technologies of the game, such as damage, physics, etc. and they might need to be tweaked for balance and stability in later patches. If a modder were to hack around with one of these importat scripts and put it in a ZAD which overrides the original then at best they won't see the affect of a patch's tweaks and at worst it could break the game entirely. They know modders override ZADs with other ZADs so guess what they did? They made everything in Scripts.zad take priority. If something is in Scripts.zad then nothing will override it ever, the game will always use the version in Scripts.zad. Clever, right?

Of course, if you rename scripts.zad to, say, scripts_main.zad then it won't take priority over ZADs loaded later such as zmod_Scripts.zad ;)

One note of grave importance is the file you guys edited to change the blood colour is one of the vital core scripts which absolutely should not be altered by anyone ever. In fact it's probably the most important script not to touch given the other settings within it, the almost certainly will be tweaked by Stainless at a later date. It also seems like the CGameParameters structure is not available in any of the other scripts I've tried to access it from. Then again, if we're renaming Scripts.zad to Scripts_main.zad and overriding CGameParameters.lol with something like zmod_BloodFOVFix.zad, then if it's updated a new Scripts.zad will appear and take priority again until it's renamed so I guess it doesn't matter. Makes it a bit of a pain but still less of a pain then having the modded Scripts.zad overwritten by a new unmodded Scripts.zad.[/ramble]
a.k.a. Brent
JeReMiZ
hit n run

Post by JeReMiZ »

Thanks Trent for the answer. I hope in the future Stainless add additional options such as fov, blood colour sliders, no autorespawn etc, so we don't have to fiddle with the core files.
deadsheep
hit n run

Post by deadsheep »

Followed Trent's advice, updated the mod file. It's still the same, just a different installation method. So for anyone who has it, it's probably not worth the time to change it to this.

It's more or less the same anyway, as Trent said if the game updates anything on scripts.zad the mod will no longer work.

But hey, I guess this way is a little safer for future users since we will be renaming scripts.zad instead of replacing it.

CzechDeath wrote:Shit I love this!

also blocked career? I thought that the cloud saves bypassed that

MP is obvious tho...

Nevermind, my mistake. Career is not blocked, just multiplayer. But i think it's not saving so any career progress is lost :\

(I launched the game in CarMODgeddon, that is why career was locked for me)
superwizzman
mechanic

Post by superwizzman »

LuckyMike wrote:

blocked

Oh ok damage :S
deadsheep
hit n run

Post by deadsheep »

Bumping this, CzechDeath pointed out that the links no longer worked.

They're fixed now.

Check who’s online