Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Savegame gone after trying some custom cars

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
D.IKE.E
pedestrian

Post by D.IKE.E »

I tried all those:

and get the "you f*cked up your blabla" message when loading the normal game. Tried to revert back everything I did but no success.

What do I have to delete and where can I restore the save game?

Already tried the "verify game cache integrity" in steam.
AlexTSK
mindless

Post by AlexTSK »

Did you use Minge to install the mods?
D.IKE.E
pedestrian

Post by D.IKE.E »

aye
AlexTSK
mindless

Post by AlexTSK »

Have you installed anything else other than the cars using Minge? are you running the game using CarMODgeddon mode?
D.IKE.E
pedestrian

Post by D.IKE.E »

Only Minge and cars. Both game variants bring the error message (after I have to choose a character and difficulty).
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Are you saying you are getting the message which tells you you've messed around with the game data? If you are just installing CarMODgeddon mods using Minge then that message should not appear, that only appears if the data in the ZAD folder is modified, whether it be the original ZADs edited or custom ZADs placed in there. Another way that message will appear is by extracting all the game's data and setting Minge to Disable ZADs in the launch options.

Modifying ZAD data should not break savegames either, unless you're running a script which specifically hacks around with the save games in ways youre not meant to, such as making changes to the career playlist and thus invalidating the savegame data. Generally savegames get wiped because they have been edited outside of the game. If the game detects the savegame has been modified (this includes copying it somewhere to back it up and then replacing it with the same file as that can alter the file's last modified timestamp) then it will wipe the save game.

CarMODgeddon mode is sandboxed and isn't allowed to touch the savegames and does not touch the ZAD folder. Minge only deals with CarMODgeddon, it does not change anything in the ZAD folder on legal copies of the game. However, Minge is not compatible with pirated versions of the game and it may break the game data if it detects the game is cracked, requiring a reinstall. It's impossible for it to happen on a legal version of the game though as it's triggered by files which only exist in the pirate cracks. I am sure that's not the case with you, though, what with being a KS backer and all.

So you must have messed with the ZAD files in the ZAD folder if you are getting that error message and you must have messed with the save game file if you have lost the save game file. It's literally impossible to get either of those problems from installing CarMODgeddon cars with Minge.
a.k.a. Brent
D.IKE.E
pedestrian

Post by D.IKE.E »

Thank you. I found out, that the Carmod_*.zip files had .zad-files (were the first addon-cars when there was no Minge) which were still in my ZAD-folder. I deleted them and now have 82 files there with 6.45GB. However the game still loads a blank profile at the beginning.

I also copied the game a week ago from D:\ to C:\ and then did the verify game cache integrity. But the damage was already there when the game was on D:\ (without moving files).

So either I can get the save game back through the steam cloud, or I find the file somewhere or I will cut my throat with a razor blade (or knife).
MemoryKill
hit n run

Post by MemoryKill »

Trent wrote:Are you saying you are getting the message which tells you you've messed around with the game data? If you are just installing CarMODgeddon mods using Minge then that message should not appear, that only appears if the data in the ZAD folder is modified, whether it be the original ZADs edited or custom ZADs placed in there. Another way that message will appear is by extracting all the game's data and setting Minge to Disable ZADs in the launch options.

Modifying ZAD data should not break savegames either, unless you're running a script which specifically hacks around with the save games in ways youre not meant to, such as making changes to the career playlist and thus invalidating the savegame data. Generally savegames get wiped because they have been edited outside of the game. If the game detects the savegame has been modified (this includes copying it somewhere to back it up and then replacing it with the same file as that can alter the file's last modified timestamp) then it will wipe the save game.

CarMODgeddon mode is sandboxed and isn't allowed to touch the savegames and does not touch the ZAD folder. Minge only deals with CarMODgeddon, it does not change anything in the ZAD folder on legal copies of the game. However, Minge is not compatible with pirated versions of the game and it may break the game data if it detects the game is cracked, requiring a reinstall. It's impossible for it to happen on a legal version of the game though as it's triggered by files which only exist in the pirate cracks. I am sure that's not the case with you, though, what with being a KS backer and all.

So you must have messed with the ZAD files in the ZAD folder if you are getting that error message and you must have messed with the save game file if you have lost the save game file. It's literally impossible to get either of those problems from installing CarMODgeddon cars with Minge.

I hope you guys find a way to mod career mode eventually...i love all the mods you make but i'm bored with just using them in freeplay. We have 3 saves slots to choose from now in max damage, i don't know why 1 can't be made to be offline, fully moddable and editable like all other carma games :(, makes me just want to go back and play carmageddon 2 as it didn't care. I miss the freedom, couldn't be fussed with leaderboards or MP i just wanna have fun in career with awesome vehicle mods and eventually new maps :\...is that so much to ask to be allowed that freedom? hate the silly limitation.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

You MAY be able to once the game comes out DRM free but its very likely that Steam has a policy that you cant circumvent these things as a developer.

Blame Steam.
MemoryKill
hit n run

Post by MemoryKill »

starbuck wrote:You MAY be able to once the game comes out DRM free but its very likely that Steam has a policy that you cant circumvent these things as a developer.

Blame Steam.

It's not a steam issue, it's a developer issue. Fallout, Skyrim, Wreckfest, Euro Truck Sim, American Truck Sim, BeamNG, Spintires and many many other "heavily moddable" games are completely open and free to mod on steam without it effecting any of the save games or anything DRM related. It's stainless who decided to make it this way, nothing to do with steam as you could still do it when the first C:R builds were on steam privately until a couple of updates in they blocked it and any zad or custom files tweaking completely and introduced the "carModgeddon" thing. Unless the, or modders fix/change it, it'll be as is until then unfortunately.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

MemoryKill wrote:
starbuck wrote:You MAY be able to once the game comes out DRM free but its very likely that Steam has a policy that you cant circumvent these things as a developer.

Blame Steam.

It's not a steam issue, it's a developer issue. Fallout, Skyrim, Wreckfest, Euro Truck Sim, American Truck Sim, BeamNG, Spintires and many many other "heavily moddable" games are completely open and free to mod on steam without it effecting any of the save games or anything DRM related. It's stainless who decided to make it this way, nothing to do with steam as you could still do it when the first C:R builds were on steam privately until a couple of updates in they blocked it and any zad or custom files tweaking completely and introduced the "carModgeddon" thing. Unless the, or modders fix/change it, it'll be as is until then unfortunately.

And so you can get achievements using those mods ? Fallout 4 for example on Xbox disables achievements.

https://community.bethesda.net/thread/9278?tstart=0
MemoryKill
hit n run

Post by MemoryKill »

starbuck wrote:
MemoryKill wrote:

Blame Steam.

And so you can get achievements using those mods ? Fallout 4 for example on Xbox disables achievements.

I could not care any less about achievements, seriously that's your rebuttal? Achievements are not mods, also actually yes you can get them in the majority of games I listed there but that's not the point, I was stating it has nothing to do with Steam that speaks for the way MD handles modified files, it's the game itself but thankfully our wonderful modders we have here may find solutions quicker than we expect.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

MemoryKill wrote:
starbuck wrote:
MemoryKill wrote:

Blame Steam.

I could not care any less about achievements, seriously that's your rebuttal? Achievements are not mods, also actually yes you can get them in the majority of games I listed there but that's not the point, I was stating it has nothing to do with Steam that speaks for the way MD handles modified files, it's the game itself but thankfully our wonderful modders we have here may find solutions quicker than we expect.

I am sorry but when did this become a dick waving contest ?

QUOTE "You MAY be able to once the game comes out DRM free but its VERY LIKELY that Steam has a policy that you cant circumvent these things as a developer."

Did I say it was a fact ? Its called AN OPINION which may be new to you but is allowed on a forum. Why is it again you got your panties all in a bunch over a god damned video game ?

You need to calm down that attitude and put this video game into a perspective of where it belongs, a form of entertainment. Unless of course thats all you have in life.

now back to "MemoryKills" Carmageddon forum. Thanks for reminding me why this forum is dying and I barely give a shit anymore about helping to mod this game.
MemoryKill
hit n run

Post by MemoryKill »

Dick waving contest...what? Are we lost in translation here or something? I think I can tell you are not native English language. Also, you don't need to quote the entire conversation, just type "-snip". Saves space.

I am giving you a FACT, not shitting on your "opinion" because there is no opinion. If you meant in regard to Stainless releasing a completely seperate non-steam version of C:MD well that be all fine and well but they'd still need to code out the game check that look for custom files, as I'll explain now: Steam is not the issue, it's the active/files check they build into the code of this game that deducts whether or not custom zads/files are edited or added, thus blocks career mode/progression/save files etc. I stated this because you said, and I'll do some quoting now "blame Steam". To which I basically replied "blame the developer" as, again, it's a fact that Steam is not the issue so you are wrong here.

Then you went on to say "can you get achievements with those mods in use?" to which, again, I factually answered "yes" as with Fallout 4 and Skyrim there are plenty of mods that allow you to still unlock achievements, to which you for some reason mentioned Xbox blocks them...well obviously, because you are not allowed to use script override mods or "script extenders" on console as they are incapable of running custom code injected into the game. Where as on PC you can do whatever you like, hence my point.

Telling me to calm down when I am giving you facts/answers as to why what you wrote was wrong, is not cool. It is also the purpose of a forum, to provide information to those who don't know. I should know as I've modded every single elder scrolls and fallout game to ever release, every euro truck game and a bunch of others over the years so I am very familiar with what Steam does and does not allow. Steam is the lowest, least aggressive form of "DRM" you can get as it's nothing like Starforce, Denuvo or other harsh anti tamper software of the past. So can we start over? I'm happy to, as I have no idea how this all got so blown out of proportion...
LuckyMike
hit n run

Post by LuckyMike »

ETS is not the best example of modifiable games. In the workshop spread mainly trailers for trucks. Spintires much better, there is a lot of all sorts of cars, but they are really mostly terrible quality. Wreckfest workshop lost many old nice mods. The modifications which make for BeamNG generally bad quality and of unknown origin. All other modifications are made mainly for pirated copies of these games. 8-)
MemoryKill
hit n run

Post by MemoryKill »

LuckyMike wrote:ETS is not the best example for modified games. In the workshop spread mainly trailers for trucks. Spintires much better, there is a lot of all sorts of cars, but they are really mostly terrible quality. All other modifications are made mainly for pirated copies of these games. 8-)
ETS2 is a perfect example, the workshop has limits on it in both size and what you can upload. I have over 100 mods installed on my ETS2, some of them include:

- About 15 NEW added to game trucks Like american trucks, kenworths, older trucks like 110 and W800s, 351s and 379s

- All of the above which have brand new engine sounds based on the real trucks, ISX, CAT15, just look at this single guy and what he makes: https://www.youtube.com/user/kapkriechbaum/videos amazing sounds

- Promods! Probably the biggest mod you can get, adds in 100s of towns and cities and road from across europe and eastern europe, combined with RUSmap, which adds western russia, again check them out: http://blog.promods.net/

- Traffics mods, AI mods, Trailer mods, high resolution texture mods, lighting mods, physics mods, weather mods.

The list goes on, no idea what you are talking with regards to pirated copies (promods is blocked, a lot of truck mods are blocked too). You say it's not a good example, I'd say it's one of the best examples. It may not have 10,000+ mods like skyrim, but if you wanna drive a BMW on a stunt track in the snow across Russia whilst you have high speed AI trying to crash into you in ETS2...well yeah, you can totally do that :D. I suggest you look beyond steam workshop mods as those are barely the tip of the iceberg compared to what people are making with ETS2 and ATS.
LuckyMike
hit n run

Post by LuckyMike »

The Steam version I have not seen any new trucks and even more additional maps. Maybe I have a very long time I have not played this game. 8-)
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Blame Steam.

See those words in bold ? That makes it an OPINION. If it was actual FACT there would at least have been a link to the Steam Page.

I mean if I stated it as a fact THEN you can surely butt in, but I didnt.

PS I am a native Texan, I have been speaking perfect English all my life, just because I didnt make my words clear enough doesnt mean I am speaking second language.

you "snip" statement ? More dick waving I see. You even admitted in this forum about shitting on peoples opinions recently but your replies here arent ? I think you even apologized for shitting on people but of course I must be seeing things here. Considering if I remember you barely posted anything around that time period.

"seriously that's your rebuttal?" ? THAT statement IS NOT shitting on my opinion because YOU dont approve of it ?? All you had to say was "Steam allows mods in some games" and ended your side of the discussion. No need to put down my short example.

"I should know as I've modded every single elder scrolls and fallout game to ever release," Big fucking deal, I used to work with Microsoft, dont see me bragging all over the forum. You trying to impress someone ? because so far you dont impress me in the slightest. It would be helpful to you to not start with the personal attacks because you dont agree with someone elses opinion.

While you may list some examples where they do allow people to mod games, I as well can list quite a few examples of people that STEAM (not Stainless) have not only had achievements locked in modded games as well have examples where STEAM has banned people from THEIR SERVICE for modding games. Never saw people who mod games get banned from Stainless's "service". Stainless doesnt have an online game service nor will they EVER ban you from modding on their "service".
Errol
Toxic Ranger

Post by Errol »

Now now.

MemoryKill is spot on that this has nothing to do with Steam or their policies. Stainless have done what many other games have done and sandboxed mod-play so as not to allow people rascally ways of unlocking achievements and futzing with the leaderboards. Unfortunately they've done it in a rather heavy-handed manner and left us with a rather stunted mod-friendly mode.

I'm hopeful the situation will be rectified on their end, if not then I'm sure Trent will get something sorted.
:: You wanna build a snowman mod C:R? Get Flummery, the Carmageddon modders tool. ::
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Errol wrote:Now now.

MemoryKill is spot on that this has nothing to do with Steam or their policies. Stainless have done what many other games have done and sandboxed mod-play so as not to allow people rascally ways of unlocking achievements and futzing with the leaderboards. Unfortunately they've done it in a rather heavy-handed manner and left us with a rather stunted mod-friendly mode.

I'm hopeful the situation will be rectified on their end, if not then I'm sure Trent will get something sorted.

"Stainless have done what many other games have done and sandboxed mod-play so as not to allow people rascally ways of unlocking achievements and futzing with the leaderboards." (Because of Steams policies which was originally an OPINION. If there were no Steam policy then you should be able to do anything without having to block it Steam sets the rules and Stainless has to follow them)

One of the things killing this forum is the ame thing killing most forums. Supposedly you arent allowed to differ in your opinion. One minute you are a fanboy ......

I am used to living under Microsofts very strict policy of no modding, changing your Avatar color etc. At least I admit that I am slightly biased especially when previously handling Microsofts policies.

Memory Kill cant even admit he was dumping on my post when he even admitted and apologized toward Trent in another thread for stuff like that.

As for my dick waving statement maybe I shouldnt have used that phrase but the way he was acting in his first two posts....

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Dick%20Waving%20Contest

"My dog is better than your dog" just didnt apply

Nice to see you are back Errol. Hopefully to release more mods :P

Check who’s online