Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Art style

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
Groveller
mechanic

Art style

Post by Groveller »

The three two Carmageddon games so far had fairly differing art styles - C1 was dark, dingy and gritty. C2 was bright, shiny and cartoonish.

Personally, I'd like to see a return to the C1 style. I thought it fit the game better - surely this competition would only come about in a shit-hole of a world, and the game should reflect that.

Any one else have an opinion?
CzechDeath
kill boss

Art style

Post by CzechDeath »

Yes carmageddon's dark atmosphere, should return. I think that in C3 TDR2000 i felt like dark atmosphere returned...

But carmageddon 1 was best. I would like to see something with that atmosphere.
Huwbutts
pedestrian

Art style

Post by Huwbutts »

Problem is: how do you create a gritty art style that compliments the cartoonish, tongue-in-cheek nature of the game? I personally preferred the art style of C2 myself.

Also, a game with a dark, gritty art style with the current graphics capabilities could result in a game that wouldn't fit the context (e.g. Gears, Motorstorm etc). I'd like SS to concentrate solely on the gameplay, then the art style way before thinking about pushing the hardware. Hecks, I'd be content with cel-shading so long as everything else is carried over from C2 :)

I look forward to seeing how it will turn out :D
Caddy Fat Cat
driver

Art style

Post by Caddy Fat Cat »

Dark and gritty please. Not cartoony. The humor will translate just fine, I think. My own two cents of course, but I felt the second game was just too shiny and the color palette was too bright.
BattleMetalChris
turbo bastard

Art style

Post by BattleMetalChris »

It should depend on the map really.

For example, I liked the dark and gritty cities in C1, but I also liked the juxtaposition of the gritty cars against the polished, pristine city in the last level of TDR2000.
Espyo wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:33 pm Let me check when was the last time explosions weren't awesome. Never!
Rubber Ducky
pedestrian

Art style

Post by Rubber Ducky »

I agree that it should have a gritty atmosphere like c1 and c3. I don't think that it matters about keeping the graphics up to scratch with other games. I want it to be Carmageddon
matt
im new, be gentle

Art style

Post by matt »

There's always a fantastic middle ground to be found, I think you'd struggle to find a decent 3d engine that still uses sprites for fire for instance, they all seem to have great particle (heh) visuals too. It's about finding the right blend between the gritty c1 and the no-content-all-eye-candy visual theaters of the current copy-cat games.
BattleMetalChris
turbo bastard

Art style

Post by BattleMetalChris »

BattleMetalChris wrote:It should depend on the map really.
Actually thinking about it, I will extend that to the cars too. There's a place for grimy and rusty cars but there's also a place for colourful ones, it depends entirely on the character that's driving it. I don't think Kutter's Lambo from C1 would be as good if it wasn't a lurid green colour, for example.

I'd hate it if every car in the came was a grimy, rusty and post-apocalyptic.
Espyo wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:33 pm Let me check when was the last time explosions weren't awesome. Never!
Zodape
turbo bastard

Art style

Post by Zodape »

Just make the atmosphere Carma 1-like. Not cartoonish like Carma 2 or post-apocalyptic like TDR.
^^ Click the sig. for free cookies! ^^

Check who’s online