Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

What did you love the most / hate the most about each game?

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
C.S.Strowbridge
pedestrian

Post by C.S.Strowbridge »

Now that they are working on the fourth installment, I was wondering what the fans here thought were the best / worst parts of the first three installments.

For instance, while most of the first Carmegeddon was amazing, I hated how getting new vehicles was random.

While I loved buying and upgrading cars in Carmegeddon 2, some of the missions were so annoying that I routinely cheated just to avoid doing them.

As for the third game... it's been too long since I've played it.
Dooby Dubson
pedestrian

Post by Dooby Dubson »

3D pedestrians

I really loved playing all installments of Carmageddon. I even enjoyed TDR2000 (briefly), the stupid missions killed it for me.

But the thing that I hate the most since the release of Carmageddon 2, were the 3D pedestrians models!

I just really loved those grimey looking (gif?) images the pedestrians use to have in the first version, in a manly way of course.. I really hope that they will add a feature in the options menu to enable/disable 3D pedestrians models. A classic mode if you will.

I really have to agree on the mission part, it's too annoying.. Make a seperate mission mode for people who are interested in doing them.
LordToastALot
speed freak

Post by LordToastALot »

Carmageddon 1

Bad

• Difficulty - The game was too damn easy. It actually got easier as you progressed! Not many people realise there are car rank tiers for opponents in the original game - there are three tiers that increase in car ability as you rank up. The problem is that you also get stronger and their AI doesn't improve. The difficulty doesn't come from the actual races, it comes from earning enough money, which is not particularly difficult. If this game had better AI it would have been greatly improved. You can tell they tried to fix this difficulty issue with the missions in the second game, but they weren't any fun!

• Stealing Cars - Unreliable obviously, but my main complaint is that not every car is stealable. Then when you complete the game it gives you all the cars anyway, even the ones you could have earned normally!

• Rankings - I've always felt this wasn't substantial enough. Indeed it was so pointless they should have just made you do 100 levels in order. I'd like to see this come back but with big improvements.

• Replayability - When you've finished, all you can do is go back and play the races you missed. Money has no further use. You get given all the cars. Obviously challenges and multiplayer could fix this.

Good

• Fun - The actual gameplay is awesome! This makes up for all the stuff above - I'm just pointing out the game wasn't perfect like people here seem to think.

I may write about he other games later.
Bet that hurt!
Deadhart
motorised death

Post by Deadhart »

C1 and SP: I loved pretty much everything, and unlike most people I also loved the car stealing system. It's not actually that random, I found out that certain cars can be stolen from certain rank - and I think there is around 5-20% chance to steal each, You have greater chances to steal a Tashita or Aninhillator than Plow or Rig O'Mortis. I thought that when you stzole the car, it was because the driver did not survive the crash and you took their car as prize for killing them (Until Caddy Fat Cat appeared as an opponent even though I stole it the race before).

C2: It was too cartoonish, not dark enough, many cars were stupid or had still their filenames instead of their game names (that was probably SCi rushed Stainless and they did not have the time to rename them. When checking filenames I found out that Rig O'Mortis has files labeled Semi, and C2 has Semi Mk.2 instead of Rig O' Mortis Mk.2, or Twister has game files labeled Screwie and it's called Screwie2 instead of Twister 2 in C2) The idea of buying cars sucked pretty much too, I see no real reason your opponents would sell their cars to you. Also: Missions!!! But what was good was better damage model and new powerups.

TDR: The Torus idiots fucked even more missions in, even though they made more sense this time, but still were annoying to do (But I liked the one where you rode a tug and the bridge) Also, post-apo setting is the worst idea for Carmageddon anyone ever had. And the timer, don't even get me started on that. But there were many cool cars, and the 1920's and Hell level from Nosebleed were really great too.
C.S.Strowbridge
pedestrian

Dooby Dubson wrote:3D pedestrians

I really loved playing all installments of Carmageddon. I even enjoyed TDR2000 (briefly), the stupid missions killed it for me.

But the thing that I hate the most since the release of Carmageddon 2, were the 3D pedestrians models!

I just really loved those grimey looking (gif?) images the pedestrians use to have in the first version, in a manly way of course.. I really hope that they will add a feature in the options menu to enable/disable 3D pedestrians models. A classic mode if you will.

A power up that will turn the pedestrians 2-D would be funny.

I liked the 3-D pedestrians, because you could get the limbs to fly off. I assume a new 3-D engine would mean the pedestrians wouldn't look so ugly.
C.S.Strowbridge
pedestrian

Deadhart wrote:Also: Missions!!!

TDR: The Torus idiots fucked even more missions...

I think the missions were the least liked part of the game. However, it could be a reason to make a mission mode mentioned above.
Carmageddon
mechanic

Post by Carmageddon »

For it's time I can't really fault Carmageddon 1, except that it would have been nice if it had a folder were we could drop music files and have them play ingame. I guess it would have been nicer too if getting more cars was a little more consistent and happened more often especially later in the game. Also some arena style deathmatch maps would have been nice, but those are all very minor things.

Though with Carmageddon 2 the only two things I didn't dislike was that the environment was more destructible and the car was easier to control in high speed turns without spinning out, other than that Carma 2 pretty much sucked in every way to me.

I very recently replayed Carmageddon 1 and thoroughly enjoyed it, then I tried Carmageddon 2 and it was boring as hell. I was about to give up when I thought maybe it's because I'd gotten used to a super fast upgraded car in #1 so I loaded a save game in Carma 2 with an upgraded car and it was still utterly boring, then I gave up. More specifically though I hate how Carma 2 doesn't feel chaotic, it's dull and boring, the impacts feel hollow and even riding over peds wasn't enjoyable. It feels slow, floppy like a child's cartoon more than high speed slaughter and carnage. Seemed more like a cheap knockoff than a sequel.

Don't even get me started on stupid missions, it would be ok if there were just bonus objectives like killing xxx peds during the race, or killing a Cop Car, but the entire idea about missions opposes the nature of Carmageddon being unbridled mayhem without rules, turning the game into an oxymoron with extra moron.

To me it feels like there's still only 1 Carmageddon game, I don't consider the cheap imitations called sequels as part of the Carmageddon franchise.
I_Was_In_The_War
pedestrian

Post by I_Was_In_The_War »

Carmageddon 1 and Splat Pack:

1. Not every car gets a unique cockpit view.

2. No kids or pregnant women (nah, just kidding :) I'm not that sick)

3. No truly secret races/cars. All you see is all there's to unlock.

Carmageddon 2:

1. Not enough bloody tracks! more specifically, the blood marks that cars normally plaster as they run over peds and there corpses. Somehow only a few peds allowed for a Carma1-like mess. The bloodier the merrier I say.

2. Cockpit view missing everything.

3. The missions, pointless and annoying, I did not enjoy those at all.

Carmageddon 3:

1. No proper mesh deformations.

2. So many pedestrians, so little time...

3. Not enough gore since corpses disintegrate very quickly.

4. Again, the missions!

5. No honking, no pre-scaring peds for smoother carnage.
Radon
pedestrian

Post by Radon »

Carmageddon 1

Personal Pro - Original gameplay, non-linear racing, Blood/Gore. Unapologetic humor and game design.

Personal Con - More like a complaint; I didnt play enough Carma 1 to remember what I disliked, or maybe I dont remember.

Carmageddon 2

Personal Pro - New Model Deformations! Enhanced Pedestrian Carnage and Gore! (The body dismemberment was beautiful! It just flowed along with the mayhem of vehicle destruction.) Finally the fact that Carmageddon 2 was basically Carmageddon 1 but a new engine, the company didnt sell out nor did it behave like an idiot and try a new style while they were sitting on a gold mine.

Personal Con - Since the developers browse this site i've been wanting to say something for a LONG time, playing the game when I was a kid... Take those missions and shove them up your ass.

Carmageddon 3

Personal Pro - Uhh...If there was one, i'd say it looked prettier.

Personal Con - This game was actually released. I'm sure Stainless wanted to bitch slap some one.
C.S.Strowbridge
pedestrian

I_Was_In_The_War wrote:
3. No truly secret races/cars. All you see is all there's to unlock.
One of my favorite mission in Carma 2 was the one with The Big Dump. Make missions secret tracks that you can race for bonus points or to unlock secret cars. They are there, but optional.
panic
hit n run

Post by panic »

C1 pro

funny and over the top

car repair button

all the cars are awesome, fast framerate, heavy and loud crash/tire/engine sounds

the little drivercam on the side with anna or max

pedestrians you wanted to kill

the NICE SHOT SIR and CUNNING STUNT BONUS stuff that popped up when you did something spectacular, really rewarding

sandbox style and replayability

cars went crazy fast with the higest upgrades

C1 con

most of the cons can be fixed with the current gen console/pc hardware, graphics, damage system, better looking environnements, hq realistic peds etc.

weird stealing car system

the rank system wasn't very noticeable

C2 pro

car repair button

awesome damage system!

EASY TO MOD and a giant amount of great quality fanmade cars

3D peds

better environments

still sandbox

replayability

buying wrecked cars

better powerups

C2 con

BAD and silly original cars

The modding community shows what was possible with the game (better cars, loads of em)

bad textures

ugly peds (again, modders made way better peds)

stupid missions

looked way too clean and sterile

no ranking

not enough to destroy in the city

TDR pro

looked dark and gritty again

awesome afterburner

bridge level

better cars

TDR con

missions....

crappy damage system
Caddy Fat Cat
driver

Post by Caddy Fat Cat »

Original game:

Pros:

Grittiest of the three, by far.

Groundbreaking physics model (for the time)

As already mentioned, pop-up bonus statements like "Nice shot, sir!" and "Cunning Stunt Bonus" were just fun all-around.

Profanity, gore, and every other degenerate quality possible made my inner 12 year old squeal with glee. No other game has done it better. In particular, I loved the pedestrian voiceover that yelled "Fuck me!" as he dove for cover or got splattered. Just something about the timbre of his voice, the resignation to his fate, made me laugh maniacally.

Cons:

System for "stealing" cars seemed arbitrary and not well hashed-out.

Can't really think of anything else, I really loved this game.

Carmageddon 2:

Pros:

It didn't give me syphilis.

Cons:

Basically everything else.

Those timed race missions made me want to punch a baby. I've rarely come closer to enacting physical violence on my PC than when I was trying to beat those missions. Seriously, if I wanted a time trial style game, I'd play a real racing game. Carmageddon is better than that, above that, beyond that.

Too many crappy, "silly" cars, too cartoony looking.

Carmageddon 2 was the Highlander 2 of the franchise. I like to pretend it never happened.

TDR 2000:

Pros:

A lot of people badmouthed this game, I honestly didn't find it anywhere near as bad as number 2.

Better car selections.

Physics were good.

That stealth black car with the naked chick in it, moaning as you drove. Seriously, I think that car might have fractured my brain on some level. I didn't use it for long since you only get it at the end of the game, but it sure left an impression on me.

Cons:

The challenge missions were at least possible to beat, although most of them were still way too contrived and annoying to be thoroughly enjoyed. They should at least be darker, grittier, and have a far meaner sense of humor involved than what I witnessed in this game.

The final chapter, after breaching the walls of the protected zone, could have been genius. It fell short though, as all of your races there were always in a pristine setting, with cheering fans at the start of the race, etc. Those protected zone peds should have been screaming and running the entire time, and some advanced damage to the "beautiful" protected zone as you went through the races would have given your antics a feeling of permanence, making a difference in the game setting.

Check who’s online