Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Pedestrians, AI

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
Carmageddon
mechanic

Pedestrians, AI

Post by Carmageddon »

I hope some thought is being put into the pedestrian AI for the new game. It would be great if they reacted realistically to a car speeding towards them especially if they see it coming, having them jumping behind cover and maybe trying to climb up pole or anything to try and get away while others freeze and scream. Maybe even some could become aggressive, throwing things at passing cars or attacking if you get stuck or stop, the police pedestrians could even have handguns and be more aggressive than most and call in for backup causing a cop car to come to that location.

I think a solid and broad pedestrian AI could really help bring the world (map) alive. In Carmageddon 1 I've spent ages just hunting down the peds and consider them a major part of the game so I hope they'll get the attention to detail they deserve. Please, for heavens sake, don't just give it zombies or something with braindead AI.

Much more variety would also be nice, how about a few in wheelchairs that racers could torment and push around at insane speeds down the road while they scream and flail around, some with shopping trolleys, some walking their dog(s). Maybe a dense pack of protestors or rioters, that would make a great target but could also be risky if you're not careful and they all start pounding your stuck car.

Also please don't make them do anything to crazy like somehow jumping onto a car passing at high speed (as in the game Clutch), it looks more cheesy then anything else.

ps Tried searching incase this has been brought up but didn't have much luck since I couldn't find a search option, anyway.
Deadhart
motorised death

Pedestrians, AI

Post by Deadhart »

You know, it would be actually funny as hell if a pedestrian climbed up a lamp or tree and you had to shake them off.
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Pedestrians, AI

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Agreed! that pedestrians are a big part of this, thats why i hate zombies, and we need a good range, last tiem i played motorstorm even flying aroudn the track not looking at peds i saw the same oens over and over.. because they all wear the same flame styled pants, ah well,

But ya AI, run, freeze, throw stuff sounds cool, cant really think of anything that could help,

Personally i think most ideas ive seen here in peopesl topics wouldent really work, so, glad to see someone down to earth

I belive we need,

A rough 50% by 50% male/female population, i dont know if wheelchairs would work but, all diffrent conditions of person, from fit joggers to old ladies with zimmerframes (wich would tribute to carma1) ya know, fat buisnes men, sexy secraterys, nerds, angry jocks, young cocky buisnesmen (the type i hate) old people, etc, normal-ish i also dont really belive other animals would work, lets stick to pigs, sheep and cows? big stuff eh,
Zodape
turbo bastard

Pedestrians, AI

Post by Zodape »

Indeed. Also, I would like if they actually said something instead of just screaming. Just something like "Oh my God", "Oh no no no no nonoNONONONONO...!!!", "Please, have mercy", "Holy shit!", etc.
^^ Click the sig. for free cookies! ^^
Dodo Bizar
driver

Pedestrians, AI

Post by Dodo Bizar »

I really like the ideas in the first post. The thought of a ped climbing in vane in a lamp post (and then just getting the post down in my mind) and especially a wheelchair at speed with a helpless shouting victim sounds really fun.
Synetearis
turbo bastard

Pedestrians, AI

Post by Synetearis »

Breakable bones detachably body parts, intestines... mhmm.... awesome ragdoll physics, considerable amount of weight so at high speeds, when you hit someone he or she is leaving dents and shit,.. O, and bloodstains on my car... and a palet of different '''smears'' depeninding on direction of ''smearing''(is that even a proper word?) when piledriving and such..

'character' and more complex behavior would really top if of.. I like the idea of peds defending them self mixed with sheaple..
BattleMetalChris
turbo bastard

Pedestrians, AI

Post by BattleMetalChris »

Mad_Maxine wrote:i also dont really belive other animals would work, lets stick to pigs, sheep and cows? big stuff eh,
Reqlly? For me, one of the funniest parts of Carma 2 was the zoo. I'd like an entire map set in a zoo, not just a small section of a bigger map like it was in C2.

Visiting peds to kill, paths to drive down, big grassy (and muddy) enclosures and of course as many different animals as possible. A velociraptor enclosure too...
Espyo wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:33 pm Let me check when was the last time explosions weren't awesome. Never!
TurboDonkey007
turbo bastard

Pedestrians, AI

Post by TurboDonkey007 »

pedestrian climbing stuff to get out of the only to destroy the thing they climbed is genius!
meh
ArchangelX
pedestrian

Pedestrians, AI

Post by ArchangelX »

I think the only thing I'm concerned with is simply just the ragdoll physics...make hitting them epic and random. Make it enjoyable to cream them. :D
aus_mike
driver

Pedestrians, AI

Post by aus_mike »

Am I the only one that preferred the well done sprite animations from the first carma over the 3d ones in carma2?

I always felt like the low detail peds in C2 were a bit of a step backwards. I know having the 3d models allowed them to do more with changeing their size and haveing limbs fly off. Plus Im guessing it would be easier to add/change animations for 3d than to re/paint new animations for sprites. However I still felt the animations were of a higher quality and suited the mood of the game better.

Tho C2 had a slightly less dark/gritty look with both cars and environments.

On a slightly sepperate note, high quality sprite animations may not have the benefits of ragdoll physics, but they do allow more detail with gore.

The animations in C1 were great, with piles of blood/guts and bodys being ripped open as you smashed into them, whereas ragdolls typically do not offer the same level of detail, as it would require haveing a heap of different models for limbs/guts etc.

Unless you had some kind of dynamically changing mesh/model, but seems like a pipe dream.

The ragdolls in GTA4 for example, while great in terms of physics, dont offer much in the way of bloody mayhem that would be appopriate for a carmageddon game.

Can anybody think of any modern games where the ragdolls have a high level of dismemberment? especially where it would look good interacting with fast moving objects.

I'd be very intereested in where the team plans to go with ped physics/animations/models, or what their engine is best suited for.
Deadhart
motorised death

Pedestrians, AI

Post by Deadhart »

aus_mike wrote:Am I the only one that preferred the well done sprite animations from the first carma over the 3d ones in carma2?

I always felt like the low detail peds in C2 were a bit of a step backwards. I know having the 3d models allowed them to do more with changeing their size and haveing limbs fly off. Plus Im guessing it would be easier to add/change animations for 3d than to re/paint new animations for sprites. However I still felt the animations were of a higher quality and suited the mood of the game better.

Tho C2 had a slightly less dark/gritty look with both cars and environments.

On a slightly sepperate note, high quality sprite animations may not have the benefits of ragdoll physics, but they do allow more detail with gore.

The animations in C1 were great, with piles of blood/guts and bodys being ripped open as you smashed into them, whereas ragdolls typically do not offer the same level of detail, as it would require haveing a heap of different models for limbs/guts etc.

Unless you had some kind of dynamically changing mesh/model, but seems like a pipe dream.

The ragdolls in GTA4 for example, while great in terms of physics, dont offer much in the way of bloody mayhem that would be appopriate for a carmageddon game.

Can anybody think of any modern games where the ragdolls have a high level of dismemberment? especially where it would look good interacting with fast moving objects.

I'd be very intereested in where the team plans to go with ped physics/animations/models, or what their engine is best suited for.

This can be solved with particle effects. Just making the big chunks 'o' meat fall off from the 3D model, and making guts as particle effects. I know, it's old school and not really HQ style, but it works neatly.
Igoreso
hit n run

Pedestrians, AI

Post by Igoreso »

Yeah, would be nice to see some variation in AI.

aus_mike wrote:Can anybody think of any modern games where the ragdolls have a high level of dismemberment? especially where it would look good interacting with fast moving objects.

Bulletstorm.
Dodo Bizar
driver

Pedestrians, AI

Post by Dodo Bizar »

aus_mike wrote:Am I the only one that preferred the well done sprite animations from the first carma over the 3d ones in carma2?

I always felt like the low detail peds in C2 were a bit of a step backwards.

Good point there, I never played C2, but checking all C2 vids on youtube etc. gives me the idea 3d-models for peds were a step back indeed. At least then it was. I am afraid though that keeping up with sprites will be really a turn off for some people.
BattleMetalChris
turbo bastard

Pedestrians, AI

Post by BattleMetalChris »

It looses a fair bit of the style with the ragdoll peds. If you hit someone in C1, often they'll fly directly up in the air, which is almost always funnier than C2's proper ragdolls.

However with C2, you can knock someone down, break their leg off which then slides down the street and trips a whole bunch of other peds over. Horses for courses really. I wonder if there's a middle-ground? With C1's more stylised impacts combined with C2's ability to punt people realistically all over the map?
Espyo wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:33 pm Let me check when was the last time explosions weren't awesome. Never!
Ray Murderiz
driver

Pedestrians, AI

Post by Ray Murderiz »

Hi am new but i want to say something here.

maybe some variarity on the pedestrians ages. not too young but semi young would give more depth to a map.

instead of just adults or old people it should be also teenagers. to make it more controversial.

hope to see the game in 2012.
Igoreso
hit n run

Pedestrians, AI

Post by Igoreso »

BattleMetalChris wrote:I wonder if there's a middle-ground? With C1's more stylised impacts combined with C2's ability to punt people realistically all over the map?

Well, you don't have to stick with sprites - that's too much work. But you could properly code peds ragdolls' behavior (animations, physics etc) so they would look as as funny as sprite-based ones.

Check who’s online