Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

UnWheel vs Carmageddon

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
Donatello
mechanic

UnWheel vs Carmageddon

Post by Donatello »

Just for interest sake, there are some questions regarding the engine that will be used for Reincarnation. Now I'm not sure if Stainless have already settled on an engine and whether they are still looking around but I think I should just mention that Unreal Engine is very capable for creating a Carmageddon style game. I'm not the biggest Unreal Engine fan currently (due to various reasons) but I have been involved in some community modding and have created some of my own maps as well for Unreal Tournament.

I also personally know a guy called Shrimp who created his own racing game (called UnWheel) with Unreal Engine. You can see it here:
http://unwheel.beyondunreal.com/

Another guy started creating an UnWheel 2 mod in UDK (Unreal Development Kit), you can see a whole lap of a Monaco Grand Prix track here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxwxbRDVDYQ

edit: You can download a demo of the UDK UnWheel mod here (352MB):
http://www.indiedb.com/engines/unreal-development-kit/downloads/unwheel2-demo

Now, this is just a few community members that did all of this, imagine what a team of experts like Stainless could do.
jimday
hit n run

UnWheel vs Carmageddon

Post by jimday »

no unreal engine already.
Donatello
mechanic

UnWheel vs Carmageddon

Post by Donatello »

Nobby answered the question regarding the engine that will be used in another thread, which makes the Unreal Engine suggestion void. This thread can be closed or removed.

PS: This is what nobby had to say:

nobby wrote:@Donatello: We've seen other engine tech that could handle the game, it's true. But our conclusion was that none of these engines would save us time or money - quite the opposite, in fact. And "convenience/ease of use" would be the only reason to use middleware, if you also happen to have in-house tech that you already know can do the job.

I probably should mention that we aren't pulling a long-defunct, dusty old Beelzebub engine out of the back of a cupboard in the basement (with a sign on the door that says, "Beware of the Leopard"), blowing the dust off and then trying to get it to work again. We've been constantly developing Beelzebub and it underpins the whole of Stainless' back catalogue - so that it's now a powerful cross-platform API and set of libraries. What we need to do now though is make sure we have the appropriate tools in place for full production, plus polish the physics/driving engine so it shines in just the right way to make the game feel perfectly "Carma".

Check who’s online