Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

user controlled weaponry + boss ideas?

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
pileup
turbo bastard

Post by pileup »

please share some ideas about user controlled weaponry such as guns or pneumatic spikes instead of static weaponry.

also please share ideas on bosses such as the big dump boss from c2.

*weapons: maybe some button activated weaponry would be nice such as impaling spikes which would stick a coupple a peds onto your car or harpoons.*

*bosses: I would like the idea that if they have bosses in the game, they would keep them rather secretive and unknown until you battle them, such as big dump "a truck has followed you home from the quarry, you must destroy it" well it can't be that hard can it? then suddenly outta nowhere a 30 tonne yellow earth mover is ploughing it's way towards you at 70mph. i liked the idea of bosses which were secretive, it kept players on their toes!*

anyways, please share your ideas!
running people over.. so many peds so little time...
Phen
pedestrian

Post by Phen »

What about mini-harpoons that kinda like the spring ability harpoons peds/enemy cars and allowes you to drag them, this shouldn't instantly kill a pedestrian but instead you can drag them and power turn making them swing and get thrown into a wall/poll/car/off-cliff, the more people you harpoon and kill at a time the higher the bonus! :D

Or how about sticky bombs that when you fire them they cluster explode into a crowd of pedestrians/enemy cars and cause significant damage?

Or mini-homing missiles?

I have to say though, that adding mounted guns on the vehicles will seem a bit much like Twisted Metal and they will probably steer clear from anything associating the two games.
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Carmageddon weapons is a big no-no even the powerups seemed odd to me but they had a cirten carmageddon charm, but the bosses idea dosent seem too bad, in the mods i never released i would have the player suddenly up against some hardass veichle compared to the car they were driving so as you can tell i kinda liked that idea.. if its pulled off well enough,
Auto Scum
pedestrian

Post by Auto Scum »

I have a BOSS idea: "A Jekko Pudding Pops Truck has followed you home, and is driven by the notorious Bill Crosby! He's out for blood, so take em' out!"
pileup
turbo bastard

Post by pileup »

good point that it would seem a bit too twisted metal-ish, so i would stick to my idea of button pressed ramming spikes but some great ideas! as for the mini-harpoon idea, frickin great idea of getting a bonus the longer they stay there! keep those ideas rolling in!

boss idea: a random car named mr.mc.tiny has been causing trouble in the area, see what it's up to. (and as you can guess, the car ain't gonna be tiny!) Also the hud picture for the car only shows up as a question mark, so it keeps the secretive side! And it's a giant semi cab with a steel plough and home made armour plating, with mesh covered wheel arches!
troyshaun
mechanic

Post by troyshaun »

I don't think user controlled weapons is a smart idea, did someone see the twisted metal video and suggest this?

personally the charm of Carmageddon was always the CARnage.

powerups were sweet too, but i never played the second one so can't comment on bosses, don't see why it wouldn't work if done right though... just the whole weapons thing changes the game from a filthy racing game to a combat game(which i'm not a fan of)
Skaruts
driver

Post by Skaruts »

I don't really like weapons in Carmageddon. Part of the fun of it was to crash against other cars to destroy them, not to shoot them from a distance. Except for some of the power ups, but these only lasted for a limited time.

The only "weapons" I'd consider nice would perhaps be something along the lines of having, for example, a addon (or something similar) that could pop out of the car with the press of a button, but that would then retract after a few seconds.

Would be useful for a high speed crash, to deal more damage, and only in a close combat way.

But since most cars already have this from the start (i.e, the Dumpster), I don't know how this could be implemented. Unless such things could be interchangeable between cars.

But guns and stuff.... I'm not too convinced it would work well...
pileup
turbo bastard

Post by pileup »

as i said before, i ain't aiming for guns as it would ruin the original carmageddon feel!
Chaosed
mechanic

Post by Chaosed »

I'd like to just be able to plow into cars. I don't want to hastle with guns and ammo.

Why can't we just keep it simple? Why not do what Carma is good at? Creating unique crashes and physics, creating vast landscapes with tricky jumps and awesome easter-eggs.
pileup
turbo bastard

Post by pileup »

as i said, i don't want guns either, yet spikes which have an effect on cars and such would be nice! >:)
jimday
hit n run

Post by jimday »

NO controlled weaponry, just pure melee sawblades and spikes on the cars. a few hilarious powerups as usual.

Post by Karma »

While powerups are interesting part of the gameplay, I find guns discordant with Carmageddon - as opposed to static weaponry.
Bumpy
mechanic

Post by Bumpy »

NO guns or user controlled weapons. Does NOT belong in this game.
pileup
turbo bastard

Post by pileup »

calm down yeeesshhh...
Retro
pedestrian

Post by Retro »

i say keep psycho pitbull as a boss, he's a badass :p
pileup
turbo bastard

Post by pileup »

indeed psycho pitbull was great! The only bit outta tdr2000 i liked was the pitbull and gorvette boss, as it brought a chill down your spine when he was coming.
devious
pedestrian

Post by devious »

I liked the old slaughter mortar, it blew zombies up but was only reliably going to hit another car if they were badly damaged and you were struggling to finish them and that's how I used them. Or for hilarity by throwing them at peds.

Yeah the mutant tail was fun, temporary weapon powerups were great, though I think if you want a big dump, the big dump was fun, though easy once you found the solid granite bodywork on the way for your first head on.
Deadhart
motorised death

Post by Deadhart »

Boss fights would do it, for instance the Suppressor would be a great boss. And every car that is bigger than Rig O' Mortis should be only seen as a boss. It was not very nice to end up in a starting grid filled with bigass trucks and buses like in Carmageddon 2.
radech
pedestrian

Post by radech »

reposting from the gun or shun thread:

as for weaponry in the carmageddon series, it would make more sense to seek inspiration from robot wars, since it all about up close and personal carnage. A few of my favorites for inspiration:

Hypnodisc:

A very destructive weapon, but it needs to spin up, and is quite vulnerable when it isn't - would love to drive this through a busy mall >D

Chaos 2:

High powered flipper, little destructive potential unless used creatively, just imagine this with pinball mode on the victim :D

Razer:

Big crushing weapon, probably the most destructive weapon in the series, but a simple grabber could also be great fun
Beastman
pedestrian

Post by Beastman »

How about the some kind of returning boss? He should be destroyed two or three times, with car evolving from time to time.
BattiushPL
mechanic

Post by BattiushPL »

Maybe bosses could be as random as in Burnout Paradise? You know, yo just haging around city (open world? maybe, but not necessarily, and suddenly you got message- "watch for your ass" or something like that. Or even without it- you just simply meet with boss just by random, lucky shot like it was in last Burnout.

Weapons? Definietly without anything that shoots like mashine gun or whatever. Simply acme punch and other stuff will do :)
Agent0range
pedestrian

Post by Agent0range »

Well it would just be fine if they kept all original black-humor bonuses. I have realized in Carma every pickup bonus is actually something that makes your blood boil, for example you are trying to escape from Rig-o-Mortis driven by that adorable Mother Trucker and you catch an Acme Damage Magnifier, just for 15 seconds.... your only chance to hit that truck.

So actually all that stuff is lots of fun and almost no use hehe, that is the way we liked it, for example kangaroo, oil slicks out of arse, well, almost impossible to damage something, but if you do you feel just great. I do wish all the pickup things and weapons would be that "almost useless".

Mortar was something rare to be found in C2. More often you could find those mines, almost uncontrollable, falling away from your rear and often damaging your poor self, a powerful weapon, but soooo problematic :)

Bosses - I missed so much the police from C1, that never was present in C2, and the Suppressor, some mystical monster you could find sometimes. The C1 police worked perfect. And actually for me anything larger than Eagle is a boss, I adore all that greater cars, Plough, Combine... I expect to see large buses and trucks and other monsters in Reincarnation. And SURE THING, the modding possibilities, so that the community might make tons of new cars again.

Last thing, I had idea to make once some standalone game on some engine newer that that of C2 and I thought I could name it Carmageddon In-Car-Nation, so I am happy the original developers are back and actually will use that Reincarnation idea.
Igoreso
hit n run

Post by Igoreso »

radech wrote:as for weaponry in the carmageddon series, it would make more sense to seek inspiration from robot wars, since it all about up close and personal carnage.
Oooh yeeeaaah

As about weapons - did some of you played old game called Extreme-G 2? Yes, it's arcade racing game, but they had nice implementation of temporary weapons / powerups. Take a look at this video at 1:04, 1:19, 1:29... As you can see, all powerups are "flying" along with the bike - and it looked nice. Just an idea.
Stew2000
driver

Post by Stew2000 »

I'm not much of a fan of arcade silly weapons.

I prefer standard studs, spikes and large metal plating.
Kutter
pedestrian

Post by Kutter »

shootable weapons shouldn't exist except slaughter mortar or mine shitting ability as the original. because if you have some firearms on the cars that would be a f**ing interstate game. unnecessary.
Otis_P_Jivefunk
pedestrian

Post by Otis_P_Jivefunk »

pileup wrote:as i said before, i ain't aiming for guns as it would ruin the original carmageddon feel!
Exactly...no guns no crap..just the original Carma in a brand new suit and with a new thirst for road mayhem.
Synetearis
turbo bastard

Post by Synetearis »

jimday wrote:NO controlled weaponry, just pure melee sawblades and spikes on the cars. a few hilarious powerups as usual.
That... never really cared for the powerups even.. but hey, I can live with that.
TurboDonkey007
turbo bastard

Post by TurboDonkey007 »

really not sure about weaponary

i like the idea of silly ballistic weapons like harpoons, catapults etc but i dont want that to take it down a route of guns, missiles etc - which i most likely maybe as rare power ups, but i dont want guns in the game, only stupid stuff - il think of one on the spot now....errr........a massive mallet with 3 attempts

il even give you a power up - upsidedown landscape for 10 seconds (everyone falls into the air until it flips back and everything comes crashing down - thinking about it, it would destroy all peds instantly so probably not good

edit: just thought of a good one - proximity/remote repulsificatar - stand back and watch the lolz

i think stuff like moving and working (effective to their surroundings) blades, spikes, guillotines, balls on chains should be implemented though

on the boss idea - its a maybe but it would make a good online mode at least- sort of like cat and mouse only except you have 1 player in a super 'boss' vehicle with high health and everyone else tries to take it out
meh
BattleMetalChris
turbo bastard

Post by BattleMetalChris »

TurboDonkey007 wrote:really not sure about weaponary

i like the idea of silly ballistic weapons like harpoons, catapults

This would be great fun, a one-shot roof-mounted harpoon/mallet/catapult as a power-up. It would need the feel of some good meaty momentum behind it (have recoil affect the car as it launches too)

TurboDonkey007 wrote:
etc edit: just thought of a good one - proximity/remote repulsificatar - stand back and watch the lolz
Also brilliant. Drop it, hide round the corner, wait for the other cars - 'Sproing!'
Espyo wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:33 pm Let me check when was the last time explosions weren't awesome. Never!

Check who’s online