Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Game is looking good, but where is wheel support?!

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

matias-uy wrote:, Nobby said that the game will have wheel support.
And where did he say that ?

Give a link and if its in a video state at what time period with that link.

One time he said they would LIKE to get wheel support but never promised it to my knowledge. If am wrong and there is proof he said I I will stand beside you.

And as of about 2 months ago we were able to get a good amount of wheel support but have tried since the release to see what works. I got the gas working and the wheel with using a button for the brake instead of the pedal. Mostly I dont even use it because I agree with flyka a wheel for this game is very cumbersome and you dont have as much control.

Then Trent gave a good idea for programs that work.

As I said before you might as well try to get one to work or just hold your breath and turn blue.

And here is the quote I remember "they talk about it there, but basically they feel the game isn't a sim racing game and isn't suited to wheels. If they have time later they said they may work on putting wheel support in, but right now there are more important things to work on.": AND "Regarding controllers - Yes, depending on platform we want to support pads and force feedback wheels. We've got some excellent Logitech controllers that we're keen to get working with the game."
TwIsTeDMiNd
speed freak

Post by TwIsTeDMiNd »

I don't understand either the need to play CR with a wheel... I have a T300RS and play games like DiRT Rally, Project Cars but I don't think this game really need wheel support and if it ever happen, I don't even think I will try it. Definitely more enjoyable to play arcade games with a controller or in the case with CR, keyboard, like the good old days :p
Gorth_le_Barbare
pedestrian

Post by Gorth_le_Barbare »

I'd like to see the support of force feedback wheels too. I hope Stainless will say what are their plans about it.

The options in pre-alpha made us think they planned to support it :
flykas
turbo bastard

Post by flykas »

Gorth_le_Barbare wrote:I'd like to see the support of force feedback wheels too. I hope Stainless will say what are their plans about it.

The options in pre-alpha made us think they planned to support it :
wow I never saw these options. It would be very nice to have them for gamepad.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

They always wanted to have wheel support in the game, it was just a very low priority feature which no doubt kept being bumped down the task list in favour of other things, such as getting VT's working or improving performance or redoing the whole rendering pipeline or eliminating desyncs from multiplayer or a thousand other things which mattered to all players instead of just a small fraction.

Wheel support isn't a trivial feature like most people seem to think it is, it requires a fair bit of development work and a hell of a lot of testing, especially if they want to support a range of different wheels. The menu options in the early access and a string in the EXE which says "Doing the Logitech G27 wheel" shows they were at least working on it at some point, it just was ultimately cut from the final release as is unfortunately so common with low priority features in any game. The fact there was already work done on it early in development shows there is at least potential for wheel support to be added in a patch when they have cleared the more important jobs.
a.k.a. Brent
Purple44
hit n run

Post by Purple44 »

So after 2 updates to Carmageddon: Reincarnation, has anybody found that there is now a separate mapping for the brake pedal? Or will I still be stuck with brake kicking in when I let off the gas pedal?

I have not played Carmageddon: Reincarnation since after finishing the career mode. I been waiting to fire up Carmageddon: Reincarnation until I find out Stainless has made a working brake pedal for us wheel users.

I bought Mad Max knowing I would not get to use my DFGT wheel and would have to use KB and mouse for the driving. For free roaming, I do OK with using a KB for steering, gas and brake. But where I have to race in tight, narrow places and I keep banging into the walls, it get frustrating racing with a KB. Lucky for me, I can cheat and just wreck the other bandit cars in the race and win race by default!! If I had to clean race, I would never win a race!!

After 2 updates and if there still no support for wheels, just need separate support for the gas and brake pedals and I would be good to go, I guess I will never be playing Carmageddon: Reincarnation again and Stainless will have loss my support forever. :(
Purple44
hit n run

Post by Purple44 »

flykas wrote:Why would you want wheel support? I think it would be very inconveniant since the physics and driving isnt very realistic. Do you play many arcade games with wheel ? I mean I gues ok if they add it, but I just don't see the point.
I use to have a Thrustmaster wheel back in 1998 with a game called Monster Truck Madness 2:

http://monstertruckmadness.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Truck_Madness_2

SpecificationsEdit

Codename : Metal Crush 2

Developer : Terminal Reality

Publisher : Microsoft

Designer : Mark Randell, Terminal Reality

License : End User License Agreement (EULA)

Graphic Engine : Photex 2

Released : April 30, 1998 (Version 2.0.41)

Lastest stable release : Version 2.0.42

Genre : Racing, Truck Racing, 4x4 Racing

Play Modes : Single player, multiplayer

Ratings : ESRB: K-A (Kids to Adults)

Platforms : Microsoft Windows 95, 98, 2000, ME, XP, Vista, 7, 8 (Windows Vista or later must set in Windows XP compatibility mode before running Monster Truck Madness 2 Setup), Linux (using the Wine program)

Media : CD

Requirements :

3D graphics accelerator 4MB video card

Pentium 133 MHz processor

16MB RAM

300 MB of free hard drive space

100% DirectX 5.3 or higher compatible sound card

CD-ROM drive (600 kB/s sustained transfer rate)
Input : Keyboard, Joystick, Game pad, Steering Wheel <<<<<

I bought my first Force Feedback wheel ( MOMO ) for Flatout 1 in 2005. I have spent almost 2 decades using a wheel with my arcade racing games. Why should I in 2015 have to give up using a wheel in Carmageddon: Reincarnation????

Carmageddon 1/2 With a steering wheel.

TheJabMan created Carmageddon 1/2 With a steering wheel. on Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:08 am

So I decided to try my wheel with C1 and C2, I knew it would work with C2 but no idea about C1.

Turns out it works better in C1 than C2... C2 has a deadzone I'm trying to work out but C1 does not.

Also you havent played Carmageddon until you play it with a wheel in cockpit view, my god its 10X the fun.

Still no luck on getting FFB to work in C1 though the wheel is stiff enough that steering is great.

C2 has some FFB, like when you let out an oil slick the wheel vibrates a little bit like something mechanical opening but it has no other FFB yet. Also steering went from being stiff to being very loose upon releasing oil which I thought was the tires being slick, however it stayed loose the rest of the race.

Anyone have any exp on these issues.

Still can't get over how fun C1 is with it :tongue:

It a PC game with cars in it, why not have at least basic wheel support?
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Purple44 I have been very busy to did out my wheel and try anything with it since we last chatted one the final version and this patched version. Sorry.

I was planning to do it last week but we had some nearby tornado damage that touched down 20 miles away . I finally put up half a replacement fence and have the major work repaired so who knows. I may get the chance to skim thru the forum here later this week and try again.

Will post here if I find anything or if it looks the same.
Purple44
hit n run

Post by Purple44 »

Ok thanks, look forward to your post.

I should be busy with a new Build for Wreckfest coming out sometime this week. Build #8 almost made it out last week, but Bugbear was having trouble with the multiplayer code.
FatCat
mindless

Post by FatCat »

This gif has convinced me that driving wheel support for C:R sounds like a great idea, and cockpit view too =D
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

FatCat wrote:

This gif has convinced me that driving wheel support for C:R sounds like a great idea, and cockpit view too =D
Yea good luck getting this settup

Good luck having enough room for it

Good luck not getting annyoed by THAT LAUD hydraulics and servos

Good luck not getting every naighbour and partner annoyed by that FUCKING LAUD hydraulics and servos -D

and lastly CR has no dashcam... =D (not yet anyways)
FatCat
mindless

Post by FatCat »

CzechDeath wrote:
FatCat wrote:

Yea good luck getting this settup

Good luck having enough room for it

Good luck not getting annyoed by THAT LAUD hydraulics and servos

Good luck not getting every naighbour and partner annoyed by that FUCKING LAUD hydraulics and servos -D

and lastly CR has no dashcam... =D (not yet anyways)

Just have a wheel, then ask a friend to shake your computer chair when something interesting happens! ;D hehehe
Servo451
driver

Post by Servo451 »

Frickin' SWEET! A sexy update with Tank Tracks and a killer convertible!! but but but... still no wheel support?

Mopes away... maybe next Christmas. :(
Purple44
hit n run

Post by Purple44 »

Servo451 wrote:Frickin' SWEET! A sexy update with Tank Tracks and a killer convertible!! but but but... still no wheel support?

So Servo, you fired up this new update to C:R and there still no support for separate gas and brake pedals? Game still put your car in reverse if let off the gas pedal?
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Purple 44 .

FYI. Sorry I havent done anything yet.
Servo451
driver

Post by Servo451 »

Purple44 wrote:
Servo451 wrote:Frickin' SWEET! A sexy update with Tank Tracks and a killer convertible!! but but but... still no wheel support?

So Servo, you fired up this new update to C:R and there still no support for separate gas and brake pedals? Game still put your car in reverse if let off the gas pedal?

No. To be honest, I don't have Xinput or any Controller utilities on my computer anymore. I fired it up with the Logitech wheel. I can still setup alternate accelerator and brakes with a digital input button, but I get nothing form the controllers analog pedals at all. I tried some stuff in-game. About 5 minutes worth. That's about as far as I went with it. I didn't feel like dumping another month into fiddling with it. *sigh*. Good luck to you though if you get positive results!!! And Happy Holidays! I'm just gonna go back to my daily lurking. Heh.
Purple44
hit n run

Post by Purple44 »

Hmmm, been over a year now since this thread got started and far as I can tell there still no support for a wheel or the brake pedal having a different axis than the gas pedal.

Look like the Stainless Devs have move on to the console version and will leave us wheel players with a broken promise. Don't ask me to Kickstart\ early access another Stainless game. :(

Seem strange that these other "arcade" racing games, with smaller Dev teams that I supported in early access over the last 2 years, I can use my DFGT wheel. But Carmageddon: Reincarnation, which use to support wheels back in the old Carmageddon days, is to difficult of a task to do, I guess. I don't remember reading why wheel support got drop from the to do list for Carmageddon: Reincarnation.

Bugbear - Wreckfest

Refract - Distance

Caged Element - GRIP ( think Rollcage )

The Caged Element Devs say GRIP will have wheel support in the future, but I will have to wait for now. I paid my money knowing this. Then last week over at Bugbear forum I found out I could use x360ce to remap the console controls to my Wheel. First try my steering and pedals work with GRIP, but remap some other buttons to my liking.

Would it be that hard to at least get Carmageddon: Reincarnation to work with x360ce and to get the gas and brake map to 2 different axis so I can go ped hunting?
TwIsTeDMiNd
speed freak

Post by TwIsTeDMiNd »

So you've come here the last two or three years just for doing your little advertising campaign for Wreckfest and now you're admittedly dropping the ball on Carma the second you have the opportunity of doing so, with mere excuses just because you cannot play it with a wheel... which is btw an arcade racing game, a genre that is commonly more playable with a pad? Go play Shitfest if you're not happy with Carma but don't come back here only for advertising new builds of Shitfest. General gaming subforum is there for Carmafans who wants talking about other games, not Shitfest users who register only for promoting their so beloved product.
tonrac
speed freak

Post by tonrac »

I am asking to myself how it could be difficult to control a Car with a wheel in Carmageddon Reincarnation, the handle of the car got the carma feeling where you need to be soft on your accelerator and direction in order not to loose control. It could be very tricky with a wheel. Don't think it will give an advantage in MP.

I have a G27 that take the dust, and it could be great if after CMD console release, they could add ffb wheel support into the PC game.
Purple44
hit n run

Post by Purple44 »

One reason to game on the PC is to have wheel support in your "arcade" racing games, like Carmageddon 1997, Viper Racing ( 1999 ), Flatout 2005, Need for Speed: ProStreet 2007, Burnout Paradise 2008, Gas Guzzlers Extreme 2013, Distance 2014. All Acrade PC racing games I have own that have wheel support.

Should I not be disappoint with Stainless for not delivering wheel support, that was promise in the Kickstarter campaign, which I would not of pledge without this promise?

I did get through Carmageddon Reincarnation career mode with a work a around, but cruse at the screen a few times when my car back off a platform when I let off the gas pedal! GRRRRR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maVyil7wEwI

So you've come here the last two or three years just for doing your little advertising campaign for Wreckfest
You can look at my post history, I have done more than just post about Next Car Game: Wreckfest - http://www.carmageddon.com/user/4672/comments?forum=All&type=All&page=9

I guess I should not of started a Carmageddon Reincarnation thread over at Bugbear forum and posted pics??

Carmageddon: Reincarnation - Stainless

Purple44 wrote: Jan 6, 2014

I think it time we start a Carmageddon: Reincarnation thread. Here another good game maker like Bugbear, Stainless, going with out a publisher to make game they and the fans want. :D
Purple44 wrote: Feb 28, 2014

It going be a good year for racing games. Got the outrageous of Carmageddon: Reincarnation, simcade contact racer\derby game NCG and Distance.
http://www.carmageddon.com/forum/topic/27970

Servo451 wrote:You have got to be kidding me?!?!?! Carmageddon is WHY I bought my first wheel in 1997!! It's why I bought every wheel controller after that. It's not Carmageddon without my steering controller!! It IS A FRICKIN' DRIVING GAME!! I seriously consider this feature absolutely non-negotiable and necessary to this game. It's like someone telling others that the peds where silly, nobody liked them, and they should be left out. Screw keyboards and Xbox toys. Who the hell drives a car with a keyboard???

I juss Gotsta has mah wheel support!! :)

Nobby??? Clear this up???

Whew. OK. I feel better. As you all were. Have a nice day!

http://www.carmageddon.com/forum/topic/27818?page=1

shane - Jan 27, 2015

Hi Garg99,

We have plans to introduce wheel support and also support a variety of additional controllers beside the Xbox 360 controller. Please be aware that the game is currently in Steam Early access so expect performance issues whilst we continue to optimise the game.

KakkaHousu
speed freak

Post by KakkaHousu »

I hope C:MD brings us wheel support along with cockpit view. Should not be too hard to imlement some kind of basic wheel support. Now only thing that keep us from getting wheels work properly is that C:R doesn't support axis which

pedals use. It now supports x and y axis but support for z is missing.

Also for those who think Carma doesn't need wheel support because it is arcade game. Yes it is arcade, but not that arcade. It actually has fairly realistic physics simulation. Its vehicle simulation could be used for any simcade racing game and it would work just fine. HC simulators use more detailed car simulation, but for arcade game Carma has very decent simulation.
tonrac
speed freak

Post by tonrac »

What i understand is that you can use your wheel (with an xbox 360 controller emulator) without being able to use the pedal, that's right?

Is the game remain playable with a wheel?
Purple44
hit n run

Post by Purple44 »

Tonrac wrote:What i understand is that you can use your wheel (with an xbox 360 controller emulator) without being able to use the pedal, that's right?

Is the game remain playable with a wheel?
It playable with a emulator, but major frustrating at times.

We have tried many things in this thread to try and separate the gas pedal from the brake pedal, but so far we have not found a solution. With my DFGT wheel, the gas and brake are tied to the gas pedal. Push down on the gas pedal, car goes forward. Let up on the gas pedal car goes in reverse like you are holding down the the brake button or key.

If Stainless could assign gas and brake to different axises I guess this would fix the problem.

I can look at what the Caged Element Devs did with GRIP and the gas and brake console buttons work separately so I'm able to use x360ce emulator and first try the brake and gas pedals and steering work fine. So it would seem it not that hard to do, but Stainless has setup controller support in a way that made it hard for an emulator to work.

Could not a Stainless Dev take a day and work out a way to get an emulator to work with Carmageddon Reincarnation ( and post how ), if Stainlees not going to take time to support wheels out right?
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Purple44 Just in case , remember Trent is working on a newer version of Minge that MAY save us some headaches getting wheels to work.

Its a slim chance but better than none at all.

As well as C MD looks like an even better updated CR so we have that to look forward too.

Tonrac looking thru this thread (?) I think I remember getting a wheel to work with the gas pedal going forward and then using a button on the wheel as a brake. I think we did it without the use of an external program.

Look at my posts. I cant test it because my wheel is buried somewhere. And so is the Microsoft one.

I remember it was in a long thread where Purple44 and I chatted a long time.
tonrac
speed freak

Post by tonrac »

I admit i don't really search in the topic, just take a quickly look.

My question is more about the playability with a wheel for some of you that make it work, and if you succeed taking pleasure with a wheel even if pedals are not supported. I am just curious because in steam forum and others topics, we can read people that find that the Car handling is not appropriate for a racing game (too much slippery).

As a old Carmageddon player, it's not my opinion, but we must admit that handling need a little effort from gamers in order to mastering his car .

So i ask for some testimony ... I just watch the video of Purple44 and driving the car with a wheel seem difficult (either it's difficult or he was drunk when he play the game ;)
Purple44
hit n run

Post by Purple44 »

Wasn't drunk. :P

Haven't really played C:R since I finish career mode. Been waiting hoping some how wheel support get added before I give Carmageddon: Reincarnation another try. I want to go ped hunting.

Does not matter so much how the cars handle, I will deal with it. I just want be able to steer with a wheel and use my 2 feet for brake and gas. I'm not a pad player and not to good with a KB. But I did Mad Max with a KB and mouse.

Wreckfest can be slippery depending on the track. But with no assists, I can feather the gas and drift the turns when needed. :)
Aspirator
pedestrian

Post by Aspirator »

I don't know why somes assoles fight for a "non compatible wheel game "

Hey if you haven't a wheel and you are jalous it's not a reason . i can't see what the fuck whith this assoles . Like "no antialias , my PC suck" or shit like this , serious go fuck yourself.

I have this [img=320x240][/img] but i must play whith that shit
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Nice setup Aspirator.

I built my own Star Wars flight stick out of junk around the home and some potentiometers but could never have the patience for that.Plus I would probably sleep in the seat 24/7.
Aspirator
pedestrian

Post by Aspirator »

Thank's , i have no merit . Just little cash and a toolbox :/

For sleep in i can't , i have a pervasive roommate (on pics)
FatCat
mindless

Post by FatCat »

Wait, why couldn't a wheel setup "just work" in C:R, it's the same analog inputs as a controller, just spread out and larger. (give or take a little force feedback)

Also, is there no way for aspirator to use a controller emulator and map his wheel controls to it?
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

FatCat wrote:Wait, why couldn't a wheel setup "just work" in C:R, it's the same analog inputs as a controller, just spread out and larger. (give or take a little force feedback)

Also, is there no way for aspirator to use a controller emulator and map his wheel controls to it?

To that first question its possible that if the wheels only use "DirectInput" that the may no longer work right hence using the emulator. DirectInput was phased out around DX6.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ee417014%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

But we may have talked about that already. Since I have no brains anymore I cant remember.

Like my wheel uses USB which I could swear came out after DX6 so I could be wrong that it uses that.
Aspirator
pedestrian

Post by Aspirator »

@Starbuck FatCat (sorry i mixed you with a fucking jester) do not bothers you too much for me dude I think it's lot of work for not enough cash , and i understand this . I hate just guys who speak " its not a sim , wheels players are idiots, i am the best assole of the world whith my fucking pad , ect) .

But I cracked ...

Bref , Direct input is the Redmon's Son and if it's a problem on pc it's only for legilative shit (like thrustmaster contract) and other pettiness of this fucking diabolique brand .
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Well I like the wheel in certain games I feel this game doesnt need a wheel. I feel a wheel is to cumbersome for this game, especially when you are doing way more than racing. Besides killing peds this game to me is just a demolition derby. Not a just a "racing game". Its more than just a racing game.

Whats worse to me is people calling others that PREFER a controller in this game assholes and fags. I own wheels but some games wheels are too slow to use wheels. And the people that were doing that in this forum actually were calling those with just controllers foul names not the other way around like you say.

No offense to your opinion. After all its just a video game. No need to go cursing the "controller fanboys" or the "wheel fanboys" though in my opinion. Definitely not worth it arguing those different then you are jealous either.

To me those that should be jealous are those that get their butts whupped online at CR :)
FatCat
mindless

Post by FatCat »

Ehh, dont listen to people like that, aspirator. People who think you should have less because you have more are not worth your time. the endless argument cycles of "i'm better because i use X instead of Y to have FUN" is very very dumb.
Aspirator
pedestrian

Post by Aspirator »

@ Fatcat Yes you are the voice of reason .

But just a subjective view or wood at worst !

But guys who crying they dont want ffb support make me crazy ...

Bon it's time to drink , good evening (its 22Hhere) for all (even assoles)

Shuss

Check who’s online