Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

C:MD/C:R Scrapped Content Thread

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

I know this is off topic, but:

KakkaHousu wrote:
in an off topic note on the 90s im going to start making an early 90s style video game in game maker to test out everything ive learnt, but I currently dont know what I want to do other than sprites and 8 bit music...

Yep, dont use Game Maker. It's very limiting and just plain bad. If you can script choose engine that use script language you know and even if you can't there is better drag and drop engines than GM. I have now project which is meant to look like psx game. Twisted metal like game. But because I can only write very simple javascripts and because I'm lazy I don't think it going to be ever released.

There's nothing wrong with using Game Maker, if it's what you know and what you're aiming to do is within the software's capabilities then it's better to use it than learn an entirely different engine. Hotline Miami and Gunpoint, among other very successful games, were made in Game Maker so it's not like you can't make good games in Game Maker, it's just a matter of having the dedication and skill to do so and that's the same for all the game engines under the sun. Obviously if you're wanting to make a cutting edge 3D masterpiece of a game then Game Marker won't cut it, but as with any tool you've got to know what it's capable of before you attempt to use a hammer to cut a plank of wood.
a.k.a. Brent
KakkaHousu
speed freak

Post by KakkaHousu »

@Trent

Didn't know any ''real'' game use it. What version of engine those games use? I made games with it when I was on elementary school. I remeber it was very easy to use but not sufficient for my needs.

About off topic: This place is almost dead so I don't think off topic causes any damage. Atleast we have something to talk.
FatCat
mindless

Post by FatCat »

KakkaHousu wrote:@Trent

Didn't know any ''real'' game use it. What version of engine those games use? I made games with it when I was on elementary school. I remeber it was very easy to use but not sufficient for my needs.

About off topic: This place is almost dead so I don't think off topic causes any damage. Atleast we have something to talk.

Hey, dont call this place dead, it's depressing to other users. :<

And besides, it gets new posts every hour, it's relatively active on a daily basis. Just because it doesn't update in the snap of a finger doesn't mean that it's a dead forum. ;D
KakkaHousu
speed freak

Post by KakkaHousu »

I mean there are very few active users and some others like me who aren't here so often. Not 'dead' dead but not anymore as active as it were.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

KakkaHousu wrote:@Trent

Gunpoint used GM8, Hotline Miami used GM7. Spelunky also originaly used Game Maker, though not sure which version. Chances are it was capable of doing what you wanted it to do, you just didn't know how to do it given how young you were. The thing about game development is that you have to solve problems you don't know the answers to or even the method of finding an answer. It doesn't matter if you use Game Maker or Unreal Engine 4, creating a good game is never just drag & drop and you have to be enthusiastic to learn and figure out solutions even when you think you've hit a brick wall.

Using my MaxScript mod tool as an example, I've hit numerous brick walls with things seemingly impossible to do, but I've perservered and spent a lot of time reading up on the documentation and searching for information and discovered how to do the things I've wanted, even if it's a work around: if it achieves the goal it doesn't matter if the method is "wrong". If I didn't have the mindset of thinking there has to be a way of doing it then the tool wouldn't have half the features it currently is. This mindset goes all the way back to the days when I made levels for Doom 1 and didn't believe you couldn't make room-over-room style levels, it turned out you really couldn't but that didn't stop me trying to figure out how to do it ;)
a.k.a. Brent
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

agh sorry x.x I did put it in spoiler tags.. I really dident want to steer the entire topic off track,

what I wanted to do was ATTEMPT, to make a simple cheesy sprite game, that involves sid scrolling on foot, adventure and shooting, along with some top down driving type stages, all done with simple sprites and pixel drawn backdrops feturing 8 bit music and using a pallet, set ina futuristic japanese city with over the top future stuff,.. the ultimate pice of cheese cake? or possibly a click and play type adventure game.. wich Ive made in the past in game maker 8. but It was never released due to the fact it was my first ever attempt, it was clunky, and had a lot of errors. tho that was more of an interactive story.

back on carma topic

now that I think about it yeah the amount of cut content would make sence.. afterall the orignal game was made in the 90s, and you can tell the cars and buildings and stuff come across as a real 90s view of the future :P I love period futurs.. 50s futureisem being my favorite ofcorse.. so I guess maybe they just started doing it like that again, then decided it looked too.. 'old'? atleast thats how it looks to me. the older concepts do look a little more C1 than the actual game we have.

tho ive said it all along, I agree with the others.. I would love to see... all concept art. see the sad thing is most art for C1, and 2 was lost over time according to nobby and some of us really wanted to see it.. so id love some kidna Online art database to see how things are done, are there skeches of cars, citys, peds, race routes, powerups? who knows maybe the peds were gona be all futureistic in some skeches? maybe theres sekeches of flying cars? Maaayybe theres skeches of races we would never expect that were cut? such as the hot room from C2 wich was.. kinda odd so yeah.

Lets start a partition!.... unless its a lot of work for stainless to catoloug all the concept art and ideas then id kinda feel bad bout stressing em more with it being so busy now :|
FatCat
mindless

Post by FatCat »

Ya know what, that was the one question someone should have asked during the streams: "Was Carmageddon 1 90s futuristic? and if so, why isn't Reincarnation 90s futuristic?"

Also, i wonder if Stainless ever got a band to make the musical score to their game.
KakkaHousu
speed freak

Post by KakkaHousu »

why isn't Reincarnation 90s futuristic?

Propably because it's game made in year 2010´s. I don't know what 90´s futurism looked but I know I like much more retro futurism than futurism we have now.

Spoiler:

This is much better looking...

..than this.

'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

why isn't Reincarnation 90s futuristic?

Propably because it's game made in year 2010´s. I don't know what 90´s futurism looked but I know I like much more retro futurism than futurism we have now.

Spoiler:

This is much better looking...

..than this.

For '90s futurism, it's best to look at movies like Demolition Man, Total Recall (original), Judge Dredd (original) to get an idea of that style. Generally speaking '90s futurism is a cross between technology & design styles that were current at the time, crossed with concepts that were also state of the art for the period.

As for why C:R is not that style, That is more than likely down to this being a modern Reincarnation, not a Remake of the original.
Just another '80s Dreamer....
Twitter Manifestation. - Mods for Max Damage.
Please do not use my old/deadname.
AlexTSK
mindless

Post by AlexTSK »

I don't really think there's such a thing as '90's futurism'. It's just futurism and every era has its own flavor, just look at the 30's and 50's, we've come a long way since then, and I can tell if something is supposed to be retro, but '90's futurism'? I think its far too recent to be able to distinguish it from things we see even today, like cyberpunk designs which don't all look like they come from the 90's.

Reincarnation isn't taking on the same approach as the first game which is fine really, honestly to me there is a big mix going on and its hard to pinpoint exactly when the game takes place. Nobby mentioned it was the 'not so distant future' which is a good work around since they can add anything to the game without it looking out of place. Having the game being constrained to a certain style/time period would make a lot of mods and ideas seem very jarring which I'm sure some people won't like. Luckily we won't have to worry about it in this game :)

Back on topic : I would really like to see more doodles and sketches of the ideas that have been floating around since development began, its that very raw and unfinished stuff that really appeals to me, sure the polished concept art is nice, but the tiny doodles are where it all begins :)

Off Topic : I found some art by a chap named Alex Hartley who claims he created the concepts for a new carmageddon game for the PSP that was being developed by eidos.

Probably for the best that the game never came to be :P
Psyrgery
speed freak

Post by Psyrgery »

Bloodstability wrote:Probably for the best that the game never came to be :P
GODDAMIT, there's so much NOPE in those concept arts.
Max is back. Let there be blood and motor oil
Deadhart
motorised death

Post by Deadhart »

Bloodstability wrote:

Haha, Max looks like he's going to rape you and then raid your fridge.
Psyrgery
speed freak

Post by Psyrgery »

Deadhart wrote:
Bloodstability wrote:

Haha, Max looks like he's going to rape you and then raid your fridge.

More like rape your fridge and then raid it (while raping you at the same time)
Max is back. Let there be blood and motor oil
Deadhart
motorised death

Post by Deadhart »

Psyrgery wrote:

More like rape your fridge and then raid it (while raping you at the same time)

Yeah, sounds possible
FatCat
mindless

Post by FatCat »

How would bikes work in carmageddon? Would they be drones only? Or would they have some type of purpose?
Kejnel
speed freak

Post by Kejnel »

FatCat wrote:How would bikes work in carmageddon? Would they be drones only? Or would they have some type of purpose?
How are we supposed to know?
If you want to report bugs or want to ask for features DO NOT USE FORUM FOR THAT! Instead send it to developers HERE: https://carmageddon.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

I don't really think there's such a thing as '90's futurism'. It's just futurism and every era has its own flavor, just look at the 30's and 50's, we've come a long way since then, and I can tell if something is supposed to be retro, but '90's futurism'? I think its far too recent to be able to distinguish it from things we see even today, like cyberpunk designs which don't all look like they come from the 90's.
Maybe using the phrase '90s Futurism' wasn't my best choice. I'm not trying to suggest that there is some big design movement dedicated to that. Maybe 'Futurism from a '90s perspective' would of been better choice of words, hehe. I'm just trying to point out the basis of 'futurism', that in general it's usually the use of emerging technology, conceptual aesthetics & designs, combined with some of the common technology of the chosen period, and in the case of the '90s - some examples there are of 'futurism' (from mainstream media) from that era.

As for those concepts... ...definitely just as well that came to nothing.
Just another '80s Dreamer....
Twitter Manifestation. - Mods for Max Damage.
Please do not use my old/deadname.
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

As one wise person once said: "Not everything old is automatically better"

-me =D
Breakin'Benny
speed freak

Post by Breakin'Benny »

FatCat wrote:How would bikes work in carmageddon? Would they be drones only? Or would they have some type of purpose?

I'd say they're special "drivers", except they aren't part of the race. They should count as mortal peds also affected by those powerups around 'em.
FatCat
mindless

Post by FatCat »

Breakin'Benny wrote:

I'd say they're special "drivers", except they aren't part of the race. They should count as mortal peds also affected by those powerups around 'em.

Bikes would be great "post-wrecked" vehicles for online matches! Instead of making the players wait to be respawned/ waiting for the match to end. They could choose to be a ped or choose to be a bike and do some ragdolling when they collide with another player! =D
Breakin'Benny
speed freak

Post by Breakin'Benny »

FatCat wrote:
Breakin'Benny wrote:

Bikes would be great "post-wrecked" vehicles for online matches! Instead of making the players wait to be respawned/ waiting for the match to end. They could choose to be a ped or choose to be a bike and do some ragdolling when they collide with another player! =D

True story, I enjoyed Dave Mirra's Freestyle BMX and doing tricks.
warmonger3
pedestrian

Post by warmonger3 »

Deadhart wrote:Hot damn that IS better than the one that made it ingame! I mean... DAT BLOWER! Also, it looks more alike the C1 Eagle.
Fuck that gif is hilarious. :)
warmonger3
pedestrian

Post by warmonger3 »

FatCat wrote:
Breakin'Benny wrote:

I love the bike idea, we could be peds. Load up multi and you guys and gals could come after us. Awesome!
FatCat
mindless

Post by FatCat »

warmonger3 wrote:
FatCat wrote:
Breakin'Benny wrote:

I love the bike idea, we could be peds. Load up multi and you guys and gals could come after us. Awesome!

I mean, honestly, it's weird that bikes were never implemented, even this extremely old (1997) official C1 Conceptart had a bike!
gloriatorios
pedestrian

Post by gloriatorios »

Hey, dont call this place dead, it's depressing to other users. :<

And besides, it gets new posts every hour, it's relatively active on a daily basis. Just because it doesn't update in the snap of a finger doesn't mean that it's a dead forum. ;D
AlexTSK
mindless

Post by AlexTSK »

Apologies for the necro but i didn't see a necessity for starting a new thread.

Heres the Eagle R, probably pretty late into development.

Its got a much nicer stance than what we got in CMD imo

Anyway, here's a Link in case you can't see the pic

FatCat
mindless

Post by FatCat »

Made the thread title more inclusive, also Alex, i'm not seeing a picture?
AlexTSK
mindless

Post by AlexTSK »

Maybe change the topic to something like "alpha/beta content" instead of scrapped content, lets us post stuff that wasn't necessarily scrapped.

Weird, I see it.

The image format wont work with every browser sadly so here's a link to the aritst's portfolio, you can hopefully see more carma things there including the above image.

https://3dvehicleweaponartist.carbonmade.com/projects/5982543
Fr0ntj3
speed freak

Post by Fr0ntj3 »

wow that rusty lumberer O_o
FatCat
mindless

Post by FatCat »

Woah, that lighting and perspective really shows off the best angles of those models
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

AlexTSK wrote:Maybe change the topic to something like "alpha/beta content" instead of scrapped content, lets us post stuff that wasn't necessarily scrapped.

Weird, I see it.

The image format wont work with every browser sadly so here's a link to the aritst's portfolio, you can hopefully see more carma things there including the above image.

https://3dvehicleweaponartist.carbonmade.com/projects/5982543

holy fuck! that eagle ! why it does not look like this in game? it is so much better like that! god damit!
nobby
Stainless

Post by nobby »

Fr0nt wrote:wow that rusty lumberer O_o
I think it's meant to be mud, rather than ultra-thick rust! This is something the artist's just done off his own back for his portfolio, rather than being an out-take from the game.
I was in the war.
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

nobby wrote:

I think it's meant to be mud, rather than ultra-thick rust! This is something the artist's just done off his own back for his portfolio, rather than being an out-take from the game.

definetly mud
Fr0ntj3
speed freak

Post by Fr0ntj3 »

nobby wrote:

oh thanks for clearing that up, for a moment i thought it was maybe an acid bath test thingy.
Privata
turbo bastard

Post by Privata »

Content that is missing that I can think of is

the bleeding cursor (it was referenced in game files) but it not a big deal.

The other stuff I can think of is less cut and more never made like poop and dynamic cutting of peds and split-screen.

I do miss the blood that we saw in the very first trailer , it looked so much better. yes the peds felt light but it felt that every impact left a mark.

Still I love the game

Check who’s online