Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Stuck looking left [Solved]

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
Adenzel
pedestrian

Post by Adenzel »

Hey just thought I'd try out the game fot the first time today, but although every other control seems to work fine I'm stuck looking left. I can look fowards if I press the key to look right, or if I use my 360 controller to look right, but as soon as I let go of looking right it's straight back to looking left.

I've tried resetting the controls to default (which they already where, but worth a go just in case). I've tried with keyboard and controller in at the same time, with keyboard only, with gamepad only (yes I unplugged the keyboard... just in case XD ). The only thing I haven't tried yet is restarting my computer.

Update: So far I've narrowed it down to the game detecting an x axis signalling left... where this is coming from I have yet to figure out.

PS

I also noticed that the steering-wheel section in the control set up was missing.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

The game doesn't have steering wheel support, which is why the steering wheel section is "missing". Do you have a steering wheel plugged in? If so then try unplugging it as that is often why this bug happens, the game detects input from all input devices even when they aren't supported properly, so wheels are seen as generic gamepads with incorrect axis' which usually results in the right stick X axis being held at-1.
a.k.a. Brent
Adenzel
pedestrian

Post by Adenzel »

The game doesn't have steering wheel support, which is why the steering wheel section is "missing". Do you have a steering wheel plugged in?
Yes I realise there is no steering wheel support ;) and no it wasn't plugged in as Carmageddon is far from the only game that gets a little cranky with multiple controllers plugged in.

However I did find the culprit, even though it really shouldn't have been causing an issue and hasn't with any other game, but for some reason C:MD read it as sending a -X signal. FYI the program was Vjoy. I switched it off and all was fine.

PS

I noticed that the menu for rebinding custom controller inputs was missing.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Adenzel wrote:However I did find the culprit, even though it really shouldn't have been causing an issue and hasn't with any other game, but for some reason C:MD read it as sending a -X signal. FYI the program was Vjoy. I switched it off and all was fine.
That would explain it then. VJoy emulates a joytick which the game obviously sees in and maps the input from it incorrectly in the same way it does for the unsupported wheels. The game is designed to allow hotswapping between controllers so you can swap between gamepad and keyboard without having to pause, so any input gets accepted and the unsupported input data obviously interfere with it.

If you want to rebind gamepad controls you can do it by editing the preset txt files in the game's Data_Misc\default_controls folder.
a.k.a. Brent

Check who’s online