Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

The longer the game runs the worse performance?

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
Kejnel
speed freak

Post by Kejnel »

I have this strange issue when after few hours of gameplay the game starts to have progressively worse performance (lower FPS). I then have to quit the game and run it again in order to get more FPS.

Does it make any sense to you, tech guys? Or am I wrong?

Thank you.
If you want to report bugs or want to ask for features DO NOT USE FORUM FOR THAT! Instead send it to developers HERE: https://carmageddon.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
Psyrgery
speed freak

Post by Psyrgery »

Somebody mentioned that there were memory leaks that get worse over time, I wonder if it's related.

I've got a respectable amount of ram (24 gigs) and so far i havent experienced any performance degradation over time
Max is back. Let there be blood and motor oil
WASP2145X
driver

Post by WASP2145X »

Like Psyrgery I have 24gb Ram, but I also own a 1070GTX 8gb OC Edition GPU, so I have not experienced any problems as of yet.

Could you tell us your PC spec, another test you could do is increase your VirtualRam and let us know how it goes.
lemonrev
road raged psycho

Post by lemonrev »

Kejnel what type of video card you got ?
CrapShoot
mechanic

Post by CrapShoot »

I haven't noticed fps drops and I have let it run for like up to 6 hours (I have plenty of (V)RAM).

I have noticed some audio issues (sudden increase of volume just before a match is started) and interface slow down (like accepting some dialogue while upgrading a car but it is very intermittent) after some hours of run time.
flykas
turbo bastard

Post by flykas »

Thanks god game crashes after every race so I have to restart and don't have to deal with this issue, lol:]]
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

CrapShoot wrote:I haven't noticed fps drops and I have let it run for like up to 6 hours (I have plenty of (V)RAM).

I have noticed some audio issues (sudden increase of volume just before a match is started) and interface slow down (like accepting some dialogue while upgrading a car but it is very intermittent) after some hours of run time.
crapshoot ... report to the support =3
Kejnel
speed freak

Post by Kejnel »

Guys:

Operating System

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU

Intel Core i7 3612QM @ 2.10GHz

Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM

8,00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard

Dell Inc. 0PXH02 (U3E1)
Graphics

AMD Radeon HD 7700M Series
Hard Drives

932GB Western Digital WDC WD10JPVT-75A1YT0 SCSI Disk Device (SATA)
If you want to report bugs or want to ask for features DO NOT USE FORUM FOR THAT! Instead send it to developers HERE: https://carmageddon.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
lemonrev
road raged psycho

Post by lemonrev »

kejnel , http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-770-vs-AMD-Radeon-HD-7700M/2174vsm11261 < this might explain a few things for you, It looks like your going to get decent framerate out of the game, but you will notice a lot more drops in the game if you can get it to run.

The page also tells you what rating your video card comes in at on the rating scale yea :)

Thanks for posting your specs
WASP2145X
driver

Post by WASP2145X »

Your GPU could be better but it should be ok on Low to Medium with that GPU.

I would be more concerned about your CPU,

Your CPU runs at 2.10ghz.

My GF's PC has an AMD 6core that ran at 2.80ghz, to run Carmageddon Max Damage I had to BIOS Overclock the CPU to 3.2ghz minimum.

My PC has an AMD 4ghz 8core so for me no Overclocking needed.

So your GPU should be able to handle Low settings great, but your CPU kinda needs a 1.1ghz boost really so it runs at 3.2ghz, but for a Laptop you will need a serious Overclocks heavy duty laptop fan pad to keep the temperatures down.
Kejnel
speed freak

Post by Kejnel »

Guys, you are missing my point.

My game is running great, stable over 45 FPS all the time with my settings.

The problem I was describing was that the game's performance is getting worse the longer I play it. It runs great no matter the situation in the game but after an hour or so (sometimes longer) the performance gradually starts to get worse until my main menu screen runs only 30 FPS max and I have to restart the game.

When I restart the game, everything is perfectly fine for another hour or more.

I am not sure if I am clear enough.
Freeride Forever
turbo bastard

Post by Freeride Forever »

Maybe some automatic hardware throttling due to heat?
jwb1971
hit n run

Post by jwb1971 »

Yeah it sound like hardware throttling to keep the temps down.
Kejnel
speed freak

Post by Kejnel »

Temps are good I believe. It wouldn't make sense for the performance to improve right after restarting the game and staying like that for hours if it was already too hot.

Maybe there are some memory leaks, I dunno. Seems quite random.
WASP2145X
driver

Post by WASP2145X »

There are known memory leaks but I've not experienced them on this game.

Download CPUID, it will show you the temperatures, speed the hardware is running at etc and monitor it for a while.

I would still look into CPU Overclocks and a heavy duty laptop fan pad, but if your happy with 40 or less fps then it's all good..
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

If it were memory leaks then just restarting the game wouldn't free up the memory, you would need to reboot the computer. The game does seem to keep as much data in memory as it can to speed up level loading, so it might be related to that. I would recommend monitoring your memory usage (and CPU and GPU usage too) during gameplay and see if that sheds any light on what it's doing.
a.k.a. Brent
WASP2145X
driver

Post by WASP2145X »

Download "CPUID" and "CrystalDiscInfo"

CPUID monitors CPU, GPU and Ram temperatures, Usage, etc.

CrystalDiscInfo monitors your hard drive(s), with info such as read error rate, fragmentation, etc.

I use both of these to monitor my PC hardware, they're well worth having on your PC.
Kejnel
speed freak

Post by Kejnel »

Thank you all, guys.

Check who’s online