Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Headlight Shadows not casting (again)

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
JesusBoJangles87
mechanic

Post by JesusBoJangles87 »

My Specs:

I5 - 3570k

8gb ram

GTX 760 2GB

This new version is the best looking and running, yet. With all maxed except reflections set to low (and I guess textures are toned down due to VRAM) I get mostly 60 with some dips into the 40's and 50's (getting a GTX970 in a few days so hopefully that will be 60). But, the headlights from the cars are not casting shadows onto the environment like they did in Reincarnation.

I had this issue with Reincarnation before (and made a thread about it) and the solution was to set the shadows to Low and then High during a race. Annoying , but it was at least some kind of workaround. The game was updated and the dynamics lights were present without tinkering. Nothing I do can bring the shadows back for Max Damage.

Like shooters without gore and car games without destruction (Gran Turismo uuugggh) I feel light sources that shine right through objects look really bad and make the world feel a lot less like a physical place. Especially when the feature was 100% in the engine before and there are options for it in the menu.

Were they completely removed for Max Damage? Please say no. I don't mind some dropped frames because my hardware is old and I'd like all the graphics features of the original available as I upgrade my computer over the years.

Thanks
JeReMiZ
hit n run

Post by JeReMiZ »

I too do not see casted shadows from headlight. Hope it is just a bug that can be fixed. My PC is good enough to handle that.
Espyo
road raged psycho

Post by Espyo »

Please report this problem on the Helpdesk. Thanks!
I'm Espyo from the Carmageddon Wiki!
I'm currently working on a Pikmin fan engine.
JesusBoJangles87
mechanic

Post by JesusBoJangles87 »

Ok, Just logged a Helpdesk ticket.

Thanks for the input Rigor and Espyo. I'd still like to know if this is happening to everyone or just a few of us.

I just want to say that besides this glitch the game is the best it's ever looked. I can't believe what a difference the grass, new ped models, and weather/time effects make.
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

Optimalisation I guess... but than it is bit unfair, when Options say "Headlights Shadows" -> ALL

And NOPE...
krudanze
pedestrian

Post by krudanze »

still no headlight shadows. i reported this problem 3 months ago but it seems devs havent even noticed it https://carmageddon.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/5267
flykas
turbo bastard

Post by flykas »

Well, maybe we will see it fixed in a new update... can we still expect new updates tho ?
krudanze
pedestrian

Post by krudanze »

hard to say. when was the last update? i really hope theyre gonna put it back because it adds a lot to the immersion. i dont want to go back to reincarnation just for the shadows.
krudanze
pedestrian

Post by krudanze »

So i take it this game has been already abandoned by the devs leaving the headlight shadows not working. Thats really sad considering its probably really not hard to repair as its been in the game before and theres an option for it in the settings. I reported the bug twice to their feedback tracker without any response.
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

Have you reported it in support? Because complaining in forums will not gonna cut it.
krudanze
pedestrian

Post by krudanze »

yeah support is what i meant. i just couldnt recall the right name for it. i reported it twice. first 5 month ago (#5267), without any response, then 1 month ago (#5662), without any response. theyre both open and seem untouched by the devs.
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

OK, just checking.

Well Stainless had for some time now, redirected their full attencion thowards Carmageddon Crashes. And becasuse they are not exactly 200head team, it means that there are simply not many people left to actually dive deep in to debugging CMD.

There is hope however. Once they finish the CC, maybe there will be time to get back to CMD! *fingers crossed*
krudanze
pedestrian

Post by krudanze »

Carmageddon crashes? What is that? Well i really hope for the return of headlight shadows. Im not a programmer but it cant be that hard to turn them back on. Reincarnation has them. Max damage used to have them. Its probably just a little typo in the code somewhere. Jen otazka - Jsi cech?
AlexTSK
mindless

Post by AlexTSK »

Carmageddon Crashers is the new mobile game from Stainless.
krudanze
pedestrian

Post by krudanze »

oh nice!

Check who’s online