Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Surprise Me

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
Dr. Gonzo
mechanic

Surprise Me

Post by Dr. Gonzo »

I have been waiting around for some time, hoping that Team Carma would surprise us with a huge update that held everything we were looking for. I'm afraid I'm out of optimism. I really did enjoy this game, and while I may be able to play it whenever, I was really hoping something would change. I really do enjoy the Carmageddon series, and everything it stood for. I have a little hope, that maybe, Stainless might just surprise us with a huge content drop, and made the game what it's past successors achieved. It's not a bad game, but it just doesn't have what I've come to expect. Sorry Stainless, it was a good game.
TwIsTeDMiNd
speed freak

Surprise Me

Post by TwIsTeDMiNd »

Dr. Gonzo wrote:I have been waiting around for some time, hoping that Team Carma would surprise us with a huge update that held everything we were looking for. I'm afraid I'm out of optimism. I really did enjoy this game, and while I may be able to play it whenever, I was really hoping something would change. I really do enjoy the Carmageddon series, and everything it stood for. I have a little hope, that maybe, Stainless might just surprise us with a huge content drop, and made the game what it's past successors achieved. It's not a bad game, but it just doesn't have what I've come to expect. Sorry Stainless, it was a good game.
I think you are wrong if you think a huge update is something in the cards. Max Damage is really all we were waiting for... remember it included everything promised: it gave us more maps, cars, peds, kebab, bigger blood splatters, bicycles, wheelchairs, tracked vehicles, car splitting, optimization, better loading time, etc. It Was the Big Update!

Although it didn't tick all the boxes for me, I'm really happy nonetheless with what we got and it gave me several hours of fun. I still play the game nowadays from time to time in short bursts.

We're talking about a 2-3 years old game already, so it's normal it is starting to look a little on the dated side. Anyway, the chance to see an update I think is close to none.

For me the biggest mistake Stainless did was to make the AI turn around you when chasing them, and push accelerator when going head-to-head. They tried too much to make the AI better but it ended up being more frustrating than anything else. It sounds weird, but I was liking the contrast of stupidity vs charged agressivity of the cars in the first game. It helped make them unpredictable and their crazy yet mysterious behavior was fitting and helping shapping up the dystopian setting.

Secondly, the cars are too heavy to be pushed around when they're upside down or on the side. It was fun in C1 coz you could push and slam them on the environments. It's only possible here with the biggest ones like mothertrucker and the tank.

Also, the game center too much on powerups at the detriment of car-to-car contact, which is the essence of Carmageddon in my opinion.

Although the damage model still remain unrivaled today, I think it suffered a lot from balancing issues. You can hit someone at the same place and speed two times and get two completely different results. Sometimes, a hard hit barely do anything and sometime a small one can wreck an opponent easily. The crash sound doesn't help as it is not consistent either and not satisfying.

Lastly, I think the floaty driving model really hurted game sales. I have to admit some vehicles handling are really bad, especially the bear which floats all over the place.

As for the environments, I would have prefered a more mature approach with less vibrant colors in environments. The first Carma had really not the same feeling. C:MD looks more cartoony, (not as much as C2 but still..) not to my liking. Parental advisory, adult gore is how I was seeing the game as a kid back in '97. I don't want my Carmageddon to be Mario Kart.

All that said, C:MD is still a very fun game and remains one of my favorite Carmageddon title which I still enjoy playing a lot.

Hopefully the franchise is not dead and it will be not too long before we see another installment. I'm eagerly looking forward to what Stainless might come up with in any shape or form, that is of course if it's ever going to happen!

Check who’s online