Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Carmageddon Max Damage AMD Vega (and Possibly RX) Crash Workaround

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Carmageddon Max Damage AMD Vega (and Possibly RX) Crash Workaround

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Thought it'd be useful to copy this here. Mirrored this workaround by Boatsoap from GOG and Steam forums
Boatsoap wrote:Short Version
Using DXVK prevents the level-loading crash with AMD Vega GPUs, but lowering graphics settings will likely be necessary as performance will be lower.

Long Version
Using DXVK, a project meant to run Direct3D games in Linux (but works in Windows) using Vulkan, prevents the crash that occurs while starting a race in Carmageddon using AMD Vega GPUs.

A word of warning: the way DXVK works could be detected as a cheat by some anti-cheat programs. I don't know if Carmageddon has cheat detection, or bans as a result of it, so this may not even matter.
  • Get the latest release of DXVK here: https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases
    Version 1.6.1 was tested for this guide.
  • From the x32 directory within the archive, extract dxgi.dll and d3d11.dll to
    (for Steam:) [Steam path]\steamapps\common\Carmageddon Max Damage\bin
    (for GOG:) CarmageddonMaxDamage\bin
    This should be the same directory where Carmageddon_Max_Damage.exe is located.
  • You should now be able to play by loading the game as you normally would from Steam/GOG. Unfortunately performance will probably be lower, so you will likely need to lower some of the in-game graphics settings.
The Steam overlay doesn't work with this setup, and it seems Steam's controller support won't either.

Hopefully this helps. This works for me with my Vega GPU. I think there is a similar crash with RX GPUs. If anybody can confirm that this works with RX GPUs, please let me know.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction

Check who’s online