Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

[Tool] Minge: The CarMODgeddon Mod Installer

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
Fr0ntj3
speed freak

Post by Fr0ntj3 »

Trent's kickstarter badge did kinda give away he is a backer.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Fr0nt wrote:Trent's kickstarter badge did kinda give away he is a backer.
Really REALLY getting old. :P
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

OK as far as I know this is not the senility talking

After running Flummery and the using Minge to locate the folder, I processed the folder to make a ZAD.

It did not close out the ZAD creation window. It just hung there.

So I closed it down in Task Manager. I rebooted just in case. Cause Minge would not start.

Now Minge DOES show up in my bottom right taskbar. but does not actually start, when I highlite the little Minge button on the bottom right of my taskbar the icon disappear but Minge does not start.

Repeatedly try it and it doesnt start even without running as administrator.

When turning off run as administrator all it does is show up in my mini taskbar temporarily.

EDIT it never shows up anywhere I can see in Task Manager. When I try to run it the screen refreshes and then nothing.

EDIT EDIT Solved it. Had to delete the CR directory (with admin privileges) And it started up again with a blank directory.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

What I assume is the case is you closed minge which it was still making the ZAD which resulted in a corrupted ZAD file and that was causing Minge to crash when it tried to load it. So you would have only needed to delete the corrupted ZAD file rather than the entire directory :)

No idea about hanging while creating the ZAD file, though, I will need some more information on the circumstances to replicate and debug it.
a.k.a. Brent
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Trent wrote:What I assume is the case is you closed minge which it was still making the ZAD which resulted in a corrupted ZAD file and that was causing Minge to crash when it tried to load it. So you would have only needed to delete the corrupted ZAD file rather than the entire directory :)

No idea about hanging while creating the ZAD file, though, I will need some more information on the circumstances to replicate and debug it.

Probably a one in a million issue. no worries since its fixed. Gladly. I missed that program.

EDIT I hope you see this as I want to avoid multiple posts :P Where it says GAME\ Select game\ could you add a third choice saying GOG Carmageddon or something ?
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

That's not something I want to do as the "select game" option is for selecting different types of games, not just different locations of the same game. Steam and GoG versions of C:MD are effectively identical with the exception of the subsystems they run on. To do what you want properly I'd have to add in a whole new system for supporting multiple installations of the same game which would be a pain, especially as it seems unlikely many people will be wanting to swap between GoG and Steam versions regularly, they tend to either use one or the other.

For now you can just select the folder of the installation you want to play when you want to swap between them.

PS. When you edit a post it makes the thread flag up as "updated" for other people, so there's no worry of it not being seen ;)
a.k.a. Brent
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Thanks for the info. Just today I noticed when I updated my post.

As for the different directories issue, it was another brain fart. It takes me 10 minutes to come to a simple solution nowadays. Cant ask my wife cause she knows nothing about PCs even when I teach her. Even though she used them before she was using the VR goggles as if it were a baseball cap, pulling the eye pieces around below her chin (gotta love her :) ) been thinking of giving it up for almost a years considering I thought it has been 5 years since I started releasing my old "map packs".

But I will be modding Carmageddon til the day my laptop falls off my deathbed :P Yeah my MD original game is collecting dust so...
ThunderGamerIT
pedestrian

Post by ThunderGamerIT »

Can i record a Gameplay of The Mod??
ThunderGamerIT
pedestrian

Post by ThunderGamerIT »

Trent wrote:The sky in most of the races is fucked. It's a known issue.

Fr0nt wrote:does anybody actually know wtf was wrong to start with?

Nope, no one does.

trent but what do you use to create cars? I give you an example with the mod of carmageddon 1 I'm interested in cars, what did you use? Just to know why I would do it too
ThunderGamerIT
pedestrian

Post by ThunderGamerIT »

Can also maybe in another version mod to add Pratcam Max Damage in Carmageddon Max Damage? It should be nice after add Pratcam with max damage. Maybe Think TRENT and answer my question of 21:09 Time
AlexTSK
mindless

Post by AlexTSK »

You can't mod in the prat cam.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

I guess technically we could code a pratcam, it would be an awful lot of work and may not really be any good. The pratcam would be an animated image (we possibly would need to be able to create BIN animations, which are apparently compiled from Flash animations) displayed in the HUD which is fairly simple, randomly change idle animations. The speedo hud element shows how to access the car's speed from the HUD so we could hook that to not only change the animation based on the speed but also compare the last speed to the current speed to determine the change in speed to set the animation to play the fast acceleration and hard braking animations. The HUD also hooks into an event for shaking the hud on a hard impact, which could be used to play a hit animation. Obviously it can't be done in CarMODgeddon but it's achievable with a lot of work.

@ThunderGamerit: I use a lot of tools to make cars. For 3d modelling work and general car set up I use 3D Studio Max with the maxscript plugins I wrote for exporting to C:MD's model/light/animation formats and setting up cars, levels, etc. For texture work I use Affinity Photo (though I used to use Photoshop) and then use the custom version of GibbedTools which I edited to add support for C:MD's texture formats. I also use Notepad++ for editing XML, LUA, LOL, CFG and TXT files manually for the paperwork files which I haven't added support for in my tools. I also use a tool I made called CUNT for debugging the CNT files models use for their hierarchy. On occasion I also use HxD to hex edit binary files to check the data is correct. I then use Minge to create CarMODgeddon mods out of the car's files and then package multiple mods up into a MingeBag for distribution. There's a very good and in-depth tutorial which '80s Time Warp wrote for creating cars in 3D Studio Max pinned to the top of this forum if you want to read it.
a.k.a. Brent
ThunderGamerIT
pedestrian

Post by ThunderGamerIT »

Trent, i have Fixed Some Bugs to your MINGE 5.21b3 Now is, 5.24b3 Test now MINGE i have fixed Some crashes and sloved Bugs

Here the Link: -snip-

I'm stay uploading a video Gameplay ITA because yes i'm italian a Gameplay using your mod

Mod edit. Link removed.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

ThunderGamerIT wrote:Trent, i have Fixed Some Bugs to your MINGE 5.21b3 Now is, 5.24b3 Test now MINGE i have fixed Some crashes and sloved Bugs

Here the Link: -snip-

I'm stay uploading a video Gameplay ITA because yes i'm italian a Gameplay using your mod

Mod edit. Link removed.

What on earth do you think you did to "fix" it? I say 'think' because that version is identical to the 5.21b2 I gave you. Not a single byte is different, you just added a text file claiming you fixed imaginary crashes and bugs and claimed copyright. That's not how either programming nor copyright works.
a.k.a. Brent
CrapShoot
mechanic

Post by CrapShoot »

Hi, I'm trying to get this tool to run on Linux (C:MD now runs via Valve's wine compatibility layer called Proton).

It looks like it requires dotnet 4.6 and possibly only runs on a 64 bit installation, is that correct?

If so then it is probably not going to work any time soon.

From a quick glance I think that it isn't necessary that C:MD is actually installed, but that running the tool inside a Windows VM and pointing it to the (shared) C:MD installation directory should also work, is that correct?

(Thanks for you work on this tool and the "Carmageddon 1 mod" btw.)
Trent
mindless

Re: Minge: The CarMODgeddon Mod Installer

Post by Trent »

The instructions in the OP are a bit out of date so here's a proper tutorial to help anyone who can't work it out. We will be using my C1 mod as an example.

Prerequisites:
Minge v5.30: http://www.carmatools.com/downloads/too ... eV5.30.zip
C1 Mod: http://www.carmatools.com/download/mods ... ngeBag.zip

9 Easy steps to install Minge, install the mods and run the game with them:
1: Extract Minge.exe from the zip into your game's folder.
2: Run Minge.exe
3: Drag Carmageddon_1_v1.mingeBag.zip onto the Minge window
4: Click Install
5: Wait for it to finish and click Close
6: Right click on the list of Vehicles and click Select All
7: Click on the Levels tab, right click,SAelect All
8: Click on the Settings button (Image) and tick "Enable Carmodgeddon" then click Save
9: Click the Play button
a.k.a. Brent
jim85
pedestrian

Post by jim85 »

Hi,

When I try to start Minge.exe (tried 5.20, 5.30, 5.31), it immediately stops working.
Also tried to run as admin.

In the event log I can see:
Application: Minge.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.NullReferenceException
at Minge.DataStructures.MingeSettings.SetDefaults()
at Minge.DataStructures.MingeSettings..ctor(System.String)
at Minge.MingeForm..ctor()
at Minge.Program.Main(System.String[])

.NET 4.7.1 is installed.

Windows version: W10 1809, latest patches installed.
Tried to run on a W7 machine with .NET 4.6 installed, but the result is the same.
I can start a one with file version 4.1.0.0, from 2016, but that doesn't support C-MD.

Could you please advise how to start it?

Thanks, Jim
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Hi Jim,

Could you let me know what version of Max Damage you're using? I have a hunch about what's wrong but I need to confirm which version you're running to be sure.
a.k.a. Brent
jim85
pedestrian

Post by jim85 »

Hi Trent,

Version: 1.0.0.9853. However the issue is not with C-MD, that starts me correctly.
I cannot start Mingle.exe. I tried it on multiple machines (W10 with different versions, W7) but when I start it, it immediately crashes, with Window Problem Reporting says: stopped working. I attached a procmon capture, that may be helpful.
minge.zip
procmon capture
(242.97 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
Jim
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

By "version" I meant "where is it from"? Is it the steam version or the gog version? And do you have Steam installed at all?
a.k.a. Brent
jim85
pedestrian

Post by jim85 »

I have a GOG version, but only the offline installed version (screenshot attached), I play just myself, don't like online/multi.
Attachments
gog version
gog version
type.JPG (74.57 KiB) Viewed 13813 times
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Thanks, that confirms my theory. Minge looks for a registry key to find the steam folder (used for launching the steam version of the game), a function which I wrote before the GOG version was released and never thought to update. If steam isn't installed then the registry key is not found and it throws an exception and crashes the program. I never considered there would be people playing it without Steam installed! 🤣

It's a simple fix, so I'll release a new version tomorrow which hopefully will solve the problem for you.
a.k.a. Brent
jim85
pedestrian

Post by jim85 »

I see. :smile:
Does it require a new build or is it enough if I create those keys manually?
If the 2nd, could you pls share with me (or maybe the procmon capture contains?) those reg keys and I will give a try and report back to you.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

You could just install steam if you want the simplest no-update solution. The key in question is SteamPath in Software\Valve\Steam.

But I've updated Minge anyway now, it tool longer to package it up and release it than to apply the fix haha.

Grab it here: http://carmatools.com/downloads/tools/MingeV5.32.zip
a.k.a. Brent
jim85
pedestrian

Post by jim85 »

Well, I still got some errors to start, so I installed a VM, installed there Steam, did a backup of the Valve reg key, imported on my physical machine and started to work. :lol:
Nevertheless you did a fantastic job, very cool!
When I start the game with Minge (added a random new car and ticked "Enable Carmodgeddon"), the career mode is being locked, is that normal behavior, or can that be somehow unlocked?
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

jim85 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:01 pm Well, I still got some errors to start, so I installed a VM, installed there Steam, did a backup of the Valve reg key, imported on my physical machine and started to work. :lol:
That's very strange, are you certain you are using Minge v5.32? I've just tested pointing it at a non-existant key and it seems to work.
When I start the game with Minge (added a random new car and ticked "Enable Carmodgeddon"), the career mode is being locked, is that normal behavior, or can that be somehow unlocked?
Yes that's just how CarMODgeddon works. If you want to play mods in career mode you will need to use the experimental beta patch which has a different mod system to CarMODgeddon, but that unfortunately is only available through Steam.
a.k.a. Brent
jim85
pedestrian

Post by jim85 »

Yes, v5.32 is used. I tested it: once I remove the reg key, it crashes, when I set it back, it works as expected.

Regarding the story mode ... thanks for the clarification, as I have GOG I think I will stay with it and then run some free races with new cars. :)
Commander E1M4
pedestrian

Re: [Tool] Minge: The CarMODgeddon Mod Installer

Post by Commander E1M4 »

Minge 5.32 random crashes to desktop sometimes. (C:MD GOG version)

When you initialize Carmodgeddon with minge 5.32 and select a car and race in freeplay, loading screen start and return to desktop before race start.

Then , follow the exact steps and run. The second time you load minge with exacts steps work. Why?

Finnish the race, change car, select track, loading screen and another crash to desktop before race start.

Open another time minge, start, select exact steps and run ok.

Any reason for that behaviour?

Thanks in advance
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

That is not a Minge issue, that sounds like there's an issue with a mod causing the crash. Minge doesn't interact with the game itselt, it just updates a configuration file which tells the game which mods to load.
a.k.a. Brent
TheBeatlesShow
pedestrian

Post by TheBeatlesShow »

Really sorry to bug you, but when I click on the download link, nothing downloads. Is there something else I'm supposed to do?

Check who’s online