Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Another C1 motorcycle WIP

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Another C1 motorcycle WIP

Post by Deep_Blue »

So I have some time off this week and I'm sick as a dog, so I'm hiding inside digging thru and trying to finish some old C1 stuff I started.

I've got this C1 version of the mohawker Wez and his boy-toy on a KZ1000. the textures suck and there's all kinds of unfinished stuff, but it handles beautifully and is capable of some pretty cool stunts.
The problem is I've had an issue with the game hanging up on the cockpit view sometimes.

Completely hung the game a few times and then suddenly stopped doing it and works OK now.

Would anybody be interested in adding it to their game to see if it's just a hardware/system issue on my comp or if some part of the vehicle is defective and maybe lemme know what I mighta screwed up or not?

EDIT: also I cannot upload an image...wtf?
Edit again: it hung up my game again. This time in following view.
EDIT YET AGAIN: After finishing the cockpit image and gears indicator it runs good again on my machine..
New zipfile uploaded/new link ^^

I think the glitch is in my machine (old Acer Aspire One Netbook) but could somebody try iy out to see if it works OK just the same?
Last edited by Deep_Blue on Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Re: Another C1 motorcycle WIP

Post by Deep_Blue »

Ah, K. I took the hint and got myself an Imgur account..

A question, also:

Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Cockpit view is sorted.
Analog gauges again.

Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Hello D_B,

It seems like you've been able to sort the problem? Anyway I tested the archive you had posted and got the bike working properly ingame, didn't hang in cockpit view:
However you had forgot to include the grid icon (GWEZ.PIX). Also I suggest you don't encrypt the text files. All the C1 addons we release nowadays are unencrypted as we expect the end-user to also have an unencrypted game.

The external HUD elements you point out can be edited from the the TXT files located in 64x48x8\CARS. Here's a kind of template with more comments about what each line corresponds to (steering wheel on the right in this case):

Code: Select all

S2CIRNCF.PIX					// Cockpit forward image file names
	32,39,672,430				// Left, top, right, bottom rendering coordinates
S2CIRNCL.PIX					// Cockpit left image file names
	32,36,672,403				// Left, top, right, bottom rendering coordinates
S2CIRNCR.PIX					// Cockpit right image file names
	32,46,672,449				// Left, top, right, bottom rendering coordinates

d,84,67,HSPEEDO.PIX,14						// Speedo type, x, y, filename, x-pitch (speed [mph], external)
d,384,439,HSPEEDO1.PIX,14					// Speedo type, x, y, filename, x-pitch (speed [mph], internal)
a,4,0,HIRESTCH.PIX,60,57,0,44,215,0,-4		// tacho type, x, y, filename, x-pitch (tacho, external)
d,384,470,HTACHO1.PIX						// Tacho x, y, filename (tacho, internal)
58,67,HGEARS.PIX							// Gear display x,y,image (gears, external)
408,427,HGEARS.PIX							// Gear display x,y,image (gears, internal) (*** relative to screen, not cockpit)

7										// Number of hands frames
444,394,STR680.PIX,0,0,none				// Left-most hands frame
464,415,STR580.PIX,0,0,none				// Leftish hands frame
492,444,STR480.PIX,244,494,STL480.PIX	// Leftish hands frame
502,468,STR380.PIX,246,468,STL380.PIX	// Centre hands frame
502,478,STR280.PIX,256,451,STL280.PIX	// Rightish hands frame
0,0,none,264,432,STL180.PIX				// Rightish hands frame
0,0,none,256,410,STL080.PIX				// Right-most hands frame

32,69,168,131						// Left, top, right, bottom of mirror
560,370,640,480						// Left, top, right, bottom of pratcam (*** relative to screen, not cockpit)

77,389,1,1,2,3,1,HENG.PIX			// Engine damage x,y,flash1..5
79,412,1,1,2,3,1,HTRN.PIX			// Transmission damage x,y,flash1..5
87,412,1,1,2,3,1,HSTL.PIX			// Steering damage x,y,flash1..5
69,396,1,1,2,3,1,HLSUS.PIX			// lf brake damage x,y,flash1..5
93,396,1,1,2,3,1,HRSUS.PIX			// rf brake damage x,y,flash1..5
70,454,1,1,2,3,1,HLSUS.PIX			// lr brake damage x,y,flash1..5
92,454,1,1,2,3,1,HRSUS.PIX			// rr brake damage x,y,flash1..5
61,394,1,1,2,3,1,HTYR.PIX			// lf wheel damage x,y,flash1..5
101,394,1,1,2,3,1,HTYR.PIX			// rf wheel damage x,y,flash1..5
61,452,1,1,2,3,1,HTYR.PIX			// lr wheel damage x,y,flash1..5
101,452,1,1,2,3,1,HTYR.PIX			// rr wheel damage x,y,flash1..5
0,0,29,359,S2CIRNXD.PIX

3								// Number of dimmed areas (external)
21,354,85,469					// Dim rectangle [external damage backdrop]
56,62,77,99						// Dim rectangle [external gears backdrop]
82,62,131,99					// Dim rectangle [external speed backdrop]
0								// Number of dimmed areas (internal)
So you either want to move or somehow disable the lines marked as 'external'. Moving out of the screen by supplying an X position value larger than the screen is easie I guess.

It seems like you took the crush data from another car (model going spaghetti upon damage), since last year it can be generated with CrushIt:
https://www.cwaboard.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9637

And yes, I quickly put your image on imgur earlier today as it wouldn't show up properly :swink:

[EDIT] Almost forgot: the text you supply to paste into OPPONENT.TXT has a little error:

6	// Number of lines <------------SHOULD BE 4
THE MIGHTY WEZ.
HUMUNGUS' RIGHT-HAND MAN
HE'LL FIGHT TO THE DEATH
FOR A TANK OF JUICE.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Mastro 666
motorised death

Post by Mastro 666 »

We go in! We kill! Kill! We kill 'em! They kill us, we kill them! Kill 'em! Kill 'em! Kill!

Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

THAAAAAT'S what I like to see! :rockon:

OK Tosh, I'll make the corrections you suggest. I've finished the cockpit view and discovered that it's my D3D Windower causing the hangup.

At least I'm pretty sure. I've been quitting and restarting multiple times from the same D3D windower instance-about 40 times a session +/-.

I guess I have to close it once in a while when I'm doing something else to give it a chance to 'unload' from memory or something because if I close D3D Windower once in a while the game never hangs, so I guess that's sorted.

Anyway, thanks for checking it out.

I'll be cleaning it up and seeing about upping it at Coffey's site seeing as he has all my stuff nowadays.

I wish I could fiind a larger, flatter C1 track to run this on.

This bike likes Mastro's El Morte Desert track, but the severe changes in road elevation knock bikes all screwy in places.

Slowly reskinning El Morte in Max Map Textures. Not too shabby so far.

Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Aight, I ran Crushit in a folder with the bike and got three .txt files: the main .DAT txt and two wheel .txts.

I assume I don't need the wheel data...

I'm not sure where to put the slew of text data Crushit generated.

Errol's instructions say to put it in the *second* block of crush data.

Uh...there's two? Crushit's generated data is HUGE, like the original car's text file without the image stuff and the mechanics.

I copied Crushit's generated text into the second crush data entry (The great whacking big, looooonnnng entry under the first little crush data entry at the top of the .txt file after selecting and deleting that same long entry) in the bike's car.txt file and now the game crashes (null string assertion) as soon as I tried to load the bike.

also Carmagedit chokes on loading the bike's text file now-it's huuuuge.

good thing I saved a backup.

can ya walk me through replacing the vehicle's crush data with Crushit, Tosh?

As far as the encrypted text files, mine are in pretty much the original format (I can work with them in Carmagedit wheareas Carmagedit says "WTF!?" when it encounters a non-encrypted txt file. I guess I should export them all individually and rename them from "export.txt.txt" to whatever vehicle they're supposed to be (cockpit .txt files, too).
It's easier to work with them in notepad anyway.
C1 doesn't care if they're encrypted or not if I remember correctly.

EDIT: yes, as a matter of fact-my Carma95 game won't run a carname.txt file that's *not* encrypted.

It WILL however not give a shit if the *cockpit.txt* file is not encrypted.

I tried running the non-encrypted (exported, renamed to "carname.txt") text file and the game took a dump as soon as I selected that car.

it spit out:

Carma95.exe
File:sscanf.c
Line 66

Expression String !=null

so yeah.... Actually I seem to remember having to add a tiny text file somewhere so that the game wouldn't require encrypted text files, but I forgot what it was and how to use it.

I'll re-upload the bike with unencrypted .txt files and you can tell me if it works on your versions of C1.

I'm using Carma95 through D3DWindower on Windows XP Home.

OK, Here's the link for the updated version with the stuff Tosh told me to correct.

The opponent. bit is corrected to accurately show lines, the GWEZ.PIX menu image is in there this time, and both the hires cockpit text file and the carname.txt file are unencrypted. (Exported from Carmagedit and simply renamed.)
The external speedo/gears/tach are still there-haven't had time to remove them yet and the crush data is still spaghetti.
I want to make sure you guys can run it with unencrypted .txt files because I can't.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AJzHw ... NT1bnXFEwF
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

There's actually three crush datas :grin:
Easiest thing to do is to copy-paste a trio of static crush datas and only replace the second one with the output from CrushIt (and yeah you only need the crush data from the main model, not the wheels, if you want the driver and his girl to be uncrushable you just have to make them a separate component):

// Crush data for the simple model

// Crush data for the main model
0.900000 //  <---- this is the softness factor, same as C2! 0.0 is rock solid 1.0 is super soft

// Crush data for the bonnet model
By the way I think your game might still be completely encrypted. If you open BLKEAGLE.TXT is it encrypted? If yes then your game is encrypted and you can decrypt it all by typing IWANTTOFIDDLE while in the main game menu (where the level preview pic is displayed and you can hit start to launch the race). You should hear two screeching sounds.

Also CarmagEdit has troubles decrypting text files, it leaves stuff like "@nT*" here and there and I think this is why your game crashed. It is actually the case with this second zip file you shared. If you look at the bottom of the TXT file in the MECHANICS section you'll see a couple of lines, one @* and the other @nT*. You can delete that. Also there's gibberish at the end of the 64x48x8/CARS/TXT file.

If decrypting your game is problematic, don't hesitate to use the MeldPack (download here). If it doesn't run on WinXP, remove the included ddraw.dll and use D3Dwindower like you're used to.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

OK thanks, Tosh. yeah, it mostly is still encrypted, but unencrypted addons seem to work.

I'll do the iwanttofiddle thing. Encryption is a pain in the ass anyway. I'll try the crush data again.

EDIT: The IWANTTOFIDDLE thing. yeah, that didn't work at all. I heard the two tire screeches but everything is still encrypted. I guess I'll just have to export text files and rename them for any releases.

EDIT again: Nope, it only partially decrypted my game. now the opponents file won't load... and I can't restart it to do anything about it.
edit yet again: i got the opponents file to work by renaming a backup file.
but now the races.txt won't load.

it's like the IWANTTOFIDDLE just burned across my game in a haphazard way destroying things.
I'm going to have to start from scratch with fresh encrypted files.
All right... I got my game working by replacing the RACES.TXT file from a twenty year old backup.
I've got a LOTTA manual editing to do now...

****ACTUALLY it can open the races.txt
what it CAN'T open anymore is Mastro's unencrypted El Morte Desert text.

I imported it into Carmagedit and saved it and it crashed out on that race with "Can't find WATTY.mat actor referenced in groovotronic file"
Um... it's right there in the MATERIALS folder.

there's apparently no end to the damage IWANTTOFIDDLE caused.

I'mma leave a link here to some C1 map files for Mastro. for some reason his forum keeps telling me my google drive is an invalid url...

LINK:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=16MWHu ... Ipuw5BSpBH
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Hey Tosh... I did the IWANTTOFIDDLE thing and it burned my game to the ground.

Some files it won't run unencrypted, others it will. Some addon cars work, others don't- it's a train wreck now.

EDIT* Mastro hooked me up with Special Edition.

Works flawlessly. Did you say you got the actual Maxmap into C1?

Can you send it to me?
Doesn't matter if it's only terrain- that was my baby.
I'd love to drive it in C1.

(Lots of times I just get bored and kill the timer and just drive around anyway.)
70's Viking
hit n run

Post by 70's Viking »

I do not want to interrupt anything, but i tried this a few days ago, and accidentally encrypted everything.

How do you decrypt files (especially Cars.txt files) if the game does not want to work?
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

The Joker wrote:I do not want to interrupt anything, but i tried this a few days ago, and accidentally encrypted everything.

How do you decrypt files (especially Cars.txt files) if the game does not want to work?
Yours may or may not be similar, but in my stock C1
install the way I decrypted the carname files (which were the only text files encrypted) was to load them in Carmagedit and then export and rename each export.txt.txt to that car's name before deleting the exported textfile and exporting another.

I don't know if IWANTTOFIDDLE is a one-way action or if it is a toggle.
After what it did to my game, I sure don't want to try it again.

I had to back up my original DATA folder and install Special Edition v3.

I'm glad I did. I like it much better.

Hey, Tosh... I forgot.
Where is the C1 car's cpckpit image referenced?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Deep_Blue, the cockpit images are defined in the very first line of the text file located in 64x48x8/CARS.

About IWANTTOFIDDLE, it's a toggle so typing it again should encrypt everything again. But if it messed up while decrypting, maybe it'll mess up even more trying to encrypt again. Always make a backup first, I guess.
If the game doesn't even launch... uh, well :suicide: I'm ok giving it a look if you zip up the whole install but no promise.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Yeah, I figured it was a toggle- albeit a sometimes defective one.
Before I wiped everything out, I backed up my DATA folder so adding stuff back was just a matter of copying over and editing textfiles.

I should remember how this works because I've done it before.
So the Carname.txt in (in Mastro's version it goes in the 32x folder, not the 64x one for some reason.
I learned this the hard way.) is all the game needs to reference the cockpit images?

II's OK. Mastro hooked me up with Special Edition and it's *much* better than the stock C1 install.

It's got me playing and editing this 20-year old game again.
Thanks for the reply-like I said before, I'm getting a bit rusty because it's been awhile since I messed with C1, but I always keep coming back to it.
Nothing IMO beats the original.

What confuses me though is people saying that encrypted text files won't work in Special Edition.

I have several C1 vehicles that won't work in SE *unless* their text files are encrypted. (I tried several times to use the unencrypted text and the car wouldn't even load until I copied over a stock encrypted file and imported the unencrypted carname txt over it in Carmagedit and saved it as an encrypted file.)

What's the deal with that?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

If you had backed up the DATA folder, there should have been no problem then..? Just delete the messed up DATA folder and put the backed-up one in place?

Everything about the car-specific HUD is set in the carname.txt file in 64x48x8/CARS folder. Stuff in 32x20x8 relates to the lowres mode (and the menus).

About the unencrypted files not working in the C1SE, it just means they are screwed during decrypting. CarmagEdit doesn't decrypt properly so you have to double check the file thoroughly. Again, I'm ok checking problematic files if you upload them.

Check who’s online