Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

What's a good way to make standalone trees?

For everything that doesn't belong elsewhere.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

What's a good way to make standalone trees?

Post by Deep_Blue »

I'm working in sketchup finishing a map (terrain) I began working on a couple years ago before I got sick.
Anyway, I looked around the net some for simple treemaking methods and tried making one by pasting a tree texture on a flat plane and then copy/pasting and rotating each copy a few degrees on it's centerline. I wasn't really impressed with the results.
Ugtree3.jpg
Ugtree3.jpg (111.14 KiB) Viewed 4715 times
Ugtree2.jpg
Ugtree2.jpg (37.08 KiB) Viewed 4715 times
Ugtree1.jpg
Ugtree1.jpg (35.99 KiB) Viewed 4715 times
Then I tried push/pulling the leafy part of the tree into a 3D shape only to end up with a horrible boxy- looking tree.

I need some pointers. I got tree lines and rings down using Coffey's method of alpha treelines in front of non-alpha'd trees background to give the illusion of depth but I wanna make a halfway believeable standalone, fairly low poly tree.
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Re: What's a good way to make standalone trees?

Post by Razor »

The problem looks more to be with the texture than anything, the leaves get cut off by the edge of the face.

Also, using XP in 2016?
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Realistic lowpoly trees really are a pain in the neck. I guess you could check C2S' Cruisemap to have some other ideas. I tend to rely on C1/C2 original trees as they fit right in the engine limitations. As for the trees you're working on I concur with Razor that avoiding cutting the edge of the texture would give a more natural look on them.

A simple advice: try to deform the cylinder that serves as trunk. (I mean something simple like this)
A problem that may arise if your foliage is made of too many tris is it turning into a blinking texture fest as per usual :/
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Razor: Yeah. I'm on an old netbook from '07. It's all I've got that I can play/mod on.

Ok Tosh. Yeah, the texture cutoff is shit. I was mainly concerned with the shape.
I forgot about the blinking texture fest....

Oh well. The model won't export to .3ds anyway since I started adding stuff.
Time to start removing stuff till I find the screwed up part.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Digging up an oldy here, but I thought it important enough to mapmakers that it was worth it.

found a neat plugin for Sketchup that uses templates to make several kinds of very nice looking trees for when texturing a wall just won't cut it.

https://extensions.sketchup.com/en/cont ... tree-maker

Check who’s online