Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Started screwing around with Sketchup...

For everything that doesn't belong elsewhere.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Started screwing around with Sketchup...

Post by Deep_Blue »

Got stuff into it-maybe got figured out how to get stuff back outta it so I can use it...Anyways, I've started experimenting with texturing using my original maxmap model (before Coffey got it).

Got (stock Sketchup-supplied) textures to stick, but am having to do that *one face* at a time-and *making unique* and aligning each texture per face as I go. Wotta pain in the ass. Does it *have* to be done that way or is there someting else I should be doing?
screwnaroundSU8.jpg
screwnaroundSU8.jpg (85.05 KiB) Viewed 5455 times
The texture sizes sketchup decides to use are way different than Carmageddon uses.

Questions, I have.

ARG. Waitaminnit. I just found this thread
https://www.cwaboard.co.uk/viewtopic.php ... 16&start=0
...reading on, I am...(but any tips would be appreciated!)

OK. Used that method (isolated the component, projected texture to poly, sucked it up w/ dropper (I think) and slapped it down one poly at a time.) Is this correct? It looks good at ground level for the most part. (For a stock Google texture).
method.jpg
method.jpg (78.44 KiB) Viewed 5455 times
And another thing...If I make a (square/rectangular surface in Sketchup...it is made of maybe 2 *huge* polys. What can I do to (I dunno...I guess increase the polycount so a texture won't stretch too much?
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
coffeycup
Genesis

Re: Started screwing around with Sketchup...

Post by coffeycup »

You sorta have to forget what you know about making stuff in CarEd. You don't need to tediously 'connect the dots' to create polys.

You can just make a big rectangle as a base and add the ''hills and valleys" where needed. SketchUp does not stretch textures like CarEd. It tiles the texture. You set the scale in the Materials/Edit window.

I would not use SketchUp library of textures. They are not tiffs and they are not the right size. Make your own tiffs and import them. (You can use SketchUp textures but its a pain in the ass to then have to convert and resize)

Here's a mini-tute on mapping road textures:
http://coffey.polygonized.com/MacCarpoc ... Roads.html

I'll try throw a quick "How to make a map" tute together.

EDIT: Here, it's really basic but hopefully will help...
http://coffey.polygonized.com/how_to/ma ... orial.html
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

LOL.

Thanks, man. Mucho gracias!

I have no problem making flat things. Now....Getting them started and or where I *want* them is another story. (I have played with 'rotate', 'move', and some other neato functions and all they seem to do is drive me bugshit trying to line stuff up or at least get it close to where I want it...)

*Move.....click.......rotate....rotate....rotate....riiiiiiight....THERE! (and it moves an additional click and is crooked)*

Nice quick tute!
I can use that, bigtime!

Oh, and how are ya adding the hills and valleys? Is it a push/pull kinda thing?
And about the textures...I have textures made, but have no idea how to use them in Sketchup.
Do I still either have to A.) Texture the entire component, or B.)Texture each individual poly?

I know about the *drag out a rectangle and the geometry is already there* thing for the most part. I tried freehand drawing and while drawing with a mouse is like trying to take a piss holding yer dick with yer foot-I managed to crank out a shape.
What I dunno how to do yet is make separate components (and keep them near enough to each other so they resemble what I'm trying to make.)

Now how the hell are you using what Sketchup exports?
I can export as .dae and run it thru MeshLab to convert it to .3ds or .asc, but sometimes a poly or two is bunged up ..

Edit*
OK, I walked thru your tut and made an oval track. Saved it as a .skp. I like how Sketchup just uses whatever textures ya tell it to with no fuss. I still have to figure out the texture scaling..
Just for the helluvit I exported it, ran it through MeshLab and 3dwin and ended up with a freaking huuuuge model. Textures were lost of course in the conversions, but what got me was I ended up with the whole thing as a single component (natch) that I couldn't do anything with unless I broke it up manually. How do ya get what ya see in Sketchup to appear similarly in PT2 or something with different components that ya can use in-game? Missing those steps, I am.
:confused:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ok, not sure what you're rotating and lining up. It's terrain. How do you line up dirt, rocks and grass??

DO NOT make each texture unique. You'll end up exporting a thousand freaking TIFFS..all of them the same image!

This is how I make a mountain/hill:

Use the PAINTBUCKET to fill your first poly. Then use the EYEDROPPER tool (PAINTBUCKET + ALT) to sample the poly you just filled. Fill the next. Sample, fill, sample, fill (no alt key, alt key, no alt key, alt key) it goes really fast that way. I'm not rotating or repositioning. Just letting SketchUp do the work.
------------------------------------------------------------------
NONCARS and moving stuff ARE NOT added to the SketchUp map. That stuff gets imported into PT2. Everything in the SketchUp model is unmovable - ROCK SOLID.
------------------------------------------------------------------
To get model out of SketchUp

I have the free version that I do all my work in. Free version only exports .dae which is useless for our purposes.

I also downloaded the trial version of SketchUp Pro which will let you export a textured .3DS file. It's a timed demo that locks you out after 20hrs. So I only use it to open up the model and export it as .3DS and then quickly shut it down so that you're barely using up the time limit.

Open .3ds in 3DSMax and export model as .ASE
Use ASE2ASC to convert ASE to ASC!
Import ASE into Plaything2, scale to size
Save
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

OK. Gotcha. I have saved this for reference.

I see what ya mean about forgetting how stuff works in CarEd. Looking at your hill-making procedure- Now it's just draw it, yank it into shape and slap textures on it and whoomp! There it is.

I think I like that a lot better. :grin:

I assume that it was an effect of the conversions I did using the different proggys that the model came out the end as one big component with no textures.
If I use the Pro trial version of SU, I should be able to export the .skp I created in the free version as it originally was with it's separate components intact and w/correct texture data?

I have 3DS Max 2 and 3 (fullversions), what I don't have is the ase2asc. Gotta get that.

Also, you mentioned different scales when you were working on the maxmap. I remember ya saying that (Harm, I think?) liked working in Carmageddon scale while you liked working in Sketchup scale and then resizing.
What is Carmageddon scale? What is the difference between Sketchup scale and Carma scale and the conversion?

You've mentioned it before but I'll be dammt if I can find it now...

(I'm used to guessing and shooting in the dark in CarEd-which obviously won't work anymore...)
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Deep_Blue wrote: If I use the Pro trial version of SU, I should be able to export the .skp I created in the free version as it originally was with it's separate components intact and w/correct texture data?
Yes, that's what I said above.
Deep_Blue wrote:I have 3DS Max 2 and 3 (fullversions), what I don't have is the ase2asc. Gotta get that.
Get it at Tosh's Road reaction
Deep_Blue wrote:Also, you mentioned different scales when you were working on the maxmap. I remember ya saying that (Harm, I think?) liked working in Carmageddon scale while you liked working in Sketchup scale and then resizing.
What is Carmageddon scale? What is the difference between Sketchup scale and Carma scale and the conversion?
It was Razor. I like using full size so I can use all the great measuring tool SketchUp offers. Otherwise you will end up doing everything by 'eyeball'. To each his own.

If full size is 1.00
Carma size is roughly 0.005

So a Carma-sized car looks like a MatchBox car next to a full-sized car.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

I got 3ds Max 2 at RR awhile back. All set there. Going to get the other utility.

Thanks for the reference.
I just d/l'd Sketchup Pro trial-this one's only good for eight hours.
Oh well.

'Preciate the info, man.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

8hr? I thought it was longer. Anyway, all you need to do is open the finished model in Pro and export as 3DS and exit out. You can do that in under a minute.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Yup.

I know some of my questions are redundant, but I appreciate ya bearin' with me. It's only so I make sure I understand exactly what yer tellin' me and how it works.

As much as I like making terrain, I'd really like this method of creating it. Seems so much easier than plotting points.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Yeah, np.

There's many many ways of using SketchUp, this is just how I do it.
You can also look at using the "From Scratch" and "Smoove" tools for making terrain.

NOTE: Make sure to 'Explode' and "Reverse faces"
You don't want to see the blue polys like the vid has!!

The trick is how to add roads to the grid?
Maybe there's a way to combine techniques?
Make some smaller hilly areas that get pasted onto larger flat plane?
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Hmm... I'll have to give 'em a shot.

Meanwhile-one nuclear bomb can ruin your whole day...

Apparently bundled in with some third-party software I d/l'ed was a nasty prog called 'Backup my PC'.

Went to uninstall it and it hung my system-had to shut down the hard way and then wouldn't reboot atall. Had to do a factory default system restore. Wiped out my entire hard drive which is now as squeeky clean as when it came out of the box.

Gonna be awhile getting set back up...I had almost twenty years of stuff I've moved from the very first PC I ever got on here-luckily I backed up a lot of it-the irreplaceable stuff anyways that I know of. The rest I can slowly re-acquire.. Anyways, that's where I've been for the past couple hours.

Shit-dammit. :techsupport:

Check who’s online