Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

c2 with Sidewinder Precision Racing Wheel

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
gPstr
driver

c2 with Sidewinder Precision Racing Wheel

Post by gPstr »

After almost three years of valiant service, I finally had to retire my beloved Wingman Formula wheel. The new Wingmans suck (they look like they should come free in a packet of cereal), and the Thrustmasters didn't look much better, so despite my unshakeable belief that Bill Gates is the AntiChrist, I had to break down and buy this Sidewinder thing 'cuz it was the only other thing my local computer store had. I just discovered that it won't work with c2; I'm permanently stuck in reverse.

Anybody else seen this? Know of a fix? I perused the Microsoft site, but of course it was no help. In true Microsoft style they only had articles about their own products. I did think it was pretty funny though that there were probably half a dozen articles about incompatibilty issues with various games, and they were all Microsoft games. What kind of company makes hardware that's incompatible with their own software? Who else but Microsoft?

But anyhow, I've tried it in both separate and combined axis, the Sidewinder software won't record keystrokes for pedals, and c2 doesn't recognize axis input in the control configuration, even though it does respond to it in the game. It appears that the accelerator pedal represents the entire up to down range of that axis, so when it's depressed I go forward, but as soon as I let up I brake, then go into reverse. I can't figure out a way to work around that, and I can't find another wheel that I'm interested in spending money on and I want to play c2, so.....

Thanks in advance for any useful help...

[ March 13, 2002: Message edited by: gPstr ]
gPstr
driver

Re: c2 with Sidewinder Precision Racing Wheel

Post by gPstr »

Nah, sorry, I haven't tried recording anything. I've just tried to get the pedals to work right.

I've tried it in both separate and combined mode. In separate mode c2 doesn't even recognize the brake pedal, and in combined it's locked into reverse.

I've decided that the fault is somewhere in the way that the pedals simulate combined mode. They only work in TDR if I have them in separate mode- TDR recognizes the third axis. If I try it in combined mode then it accepts pressing the accelerator as y-axis up, but it doesn't respond at all when I press the brake. However, when I release the brake it records that as y-axis up. Apparently combined mode is represented as the accelerator going all the way from y-down to y-up, and the brake going all the way from y-up to y-down.

Yet again Microsoft sells a product with an unnecessary feature that doesn't work right anyway.....
Vegas_Babe
pedestrian

Post by Vegas_Babe »

My partner Mad Hatter and I just bought the Sidwinder Precision Racing Wheel yesterday, and we got the pedals to work fine, steering is fine, but we can't get any of the $%#@ buttons to program with the keystrokes. Maybe we can help each other out.

We used version 4.0 of the sidewinder software that came with the wheel.

We used the combined value for the pedals and did not record any keystokes. Figuring that you basically only drive on one Axis. Under the test mode, works fine. Left is brake/reverse and right is accellerator.

If you combined them, that might be why you are stuck in reverse...left pedal may be taking over.

Try that and see if it helps. And have you figured out how to program the buttons?
minorfelon
Roach

Post by minorfelon »

sounds like a problem with the deadzone, i recently bought a wheel, tried to use it for mco, but it did the same thing, when pedals were depressed , the car accelerated like a bat out of hell, and tryin to use the brake was no good... after messin with the deadzone, i got the pedals to work right but now the car steers to the left perfect, but wont hardly go right at all...... as for carmageddon 2, it crashes as soon as i load it with the new wheel installed....(this was the v3 racing wheel by the way)

Check who’s online