Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Stomping On Kittens

For everything that doesn't belong elsewhere.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Stomping On Kittens

Post by Razor »

Okay so I thought I'd better start populating this section and start off by adding my site and hopefully everybody else will do the same, it can be found at http://r.carmajunkies.com

I post on it now and again, mostly when I release things or when somebody ports something of mine. I also have a page dedicated to my overwhelming Carmageddon collection, that is linked on my site under the 'Carma Items' link on the navbar, eventually you'll end up at my deviantArt page which I update and upload to frequently (well every time I get a new Carma item infact, which should be at some point today.)

There's a Downloads page which hasn't been updated for a while, I'll do this once the new Wasted database gets sorted as the current links on that page link to the old Wasted server (jjunkies.com)

In time I'll be adding the Hi-Res mod back to the site and also the DDRAW mod, I'll also eventually get round to completing one of these.

~Razor.

Note: The current layout of the site is not final, I was testing out a new Wordpress theme which I now find rather bland.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
LolJoeMad
pedestrian

Stomping On Kittens

Post by LolJoeMad »

Pro site mon
magmus
hit n run

Stomping On Kittens

Post by magmus »

I like this site, especially with stuff like a remade countslash.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Stomping On Kittens

Post by Razor »

Stomping on Kittens is getting a redesign and it's not some half-arsed redesign this time, it's the full monty.

Here's a few teasers to wet the whistle somewhat:

Note: Still pissed that breaks don't work correctly on this here forum
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Stomping On Kittens

Post by Toshiba-3 »

To be honest I really prefer the current design. It has much more personality. Here you're /just/ too influenced by Carma.com. You're turning your site into a whole portal while you won't have enough to offer and your site might really feel "hollow" in comparison to the ambitious look you're giving to it.

The "Stomping On Kittens" in the Carmageddon font is great but other than that you're using too much fonts, esp. those grungy ones (one looks like Defused, the other one isn't familiar). Everybody uses them and they really do a bad job at catching the eye and delivering information correctly. Also the simple fact that the characters are so stylized kills the effect once a letter is repeated twice or more (see what I mean?).

You might also think about dropping stuff like "made by John Rowberry/Razor" or "My History" to the bottom infos 'cause like this it looks pompous (imo) and clashes with the portal look of your concept. Would have been better on the current design as it looks more personal y'see?

Where does that green color come from? (for the text in buttons there) What about some orangey yellow or a similar Carmageddon supporting color instead?

Globaly I think you have a lot of ambition for your site but a redesign wasn't the way to go. Working on features, improving navigation, web 2.0 kinds of stuff or simply new content would have been wiser in my eyes. Also while all the information is clear and easily interpreted on the current website, there's just too much and on the same "reading" level with your new concept. The overal aspect is fuzzy and overloaded, the eye goes from a point to another without grabbing any kind of message besides "here be stuff stuff stuff".

As a last point on your ideas, it might just be me but I really think these kind of fan-made portals/portal-looking-sites aren't that good anymore. They had their time (like 2001-2005) but nowadays the web tends to different navigations/presentations, usualy lighter and faster.

Well that was my feedback to what you showed so far.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Errol
Toxic Ranger

Stomping On Kittens

Post by Errol »

Bam, Toshiburned!
:: You wanna build a snowman mod C:R? Get Flummery, the Carmageddon modders tool. ::
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Stomping On Kittens

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Oh I don't mean any offense at all btw! (just to be clear)

I wouldn't write this much if I wasn't willing to help :)
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Stomping On Kittens

Post by Razor »

Thanks, Tosh. Always good to have some feedback so I can work on some changes.

Of course none of this design is finalised and I'm changing a lot of it, I was thinking myself that it does look too much like Carma.com in its current state, a lot of it is just placeholders for when I make some changes to give the site a more personal touch.

The only real reason I'm doing a whole new revamp is because I'm getting tired of utilising Wordpress, it's way too bulky for what it does and for what I want it to do. On the plus side; I love the whole Dashboard and easy editing of posts. I'm also hoping to incorporate the site more with Wasted, as I'm hosted on Newton's network and I run a lot by him as I'm designing it.

As for the fonts I felt the exact same way, I spent a bit of time on this earlier this morning and have changed a lot of the fonts to the Ubuntu font as I love the design:

(It feels a lot cleaner)

I've also moved the large box-style navigation down a bit so it starts about halfway down from where the top of the video begins, it frees up a lot of space up top but I may remove this all together or I may just decrease the size I'm not really sure on this one, like I said nothing is finalised.

I was going to include more sections to the site for my other stuff that isn't Carmageddon related like a UT2k4 section for the maps/models/programs I've made for the game but it just doesn't seem to fit with the style and even the name of the site as Stomping on Kittens is taken from the C2 difficulty level "As easy as stamping on kittens", so that idea was scrapped.

I'm far from happy with the look and feel of the site as it is at the moment, it's far too over complicated. I'll keep working on it and if need be I'll show you where I'm at and you can let me know what you think.

(If that's okay by you)
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Stomping On Kittens

Post by Razor »

I've decided to stick with Wordpress, my site had been updated but the design is not completely finished a few minor changes are going to be made (some may be visible) but here's what I've done so far:

- Updated the look

- Added an index page for the C2 conversion pages, that can be found here: http://r.carmajunkies.com/conversions/

- Updated the Downloads page with newer items, content from my Destruction Derby RAW mod and Mastro's C1 conversions of my cars, that can be found here: http://r.carmajunkies.com/downloads/

I'll also be using this site more, when I release a vehicle I'll link through my site for the download as opposed to linking straight to Wasted.

http://r.carmajunkies.com/ :)
n3wton
Wasted!

Stomping On Kittens

Post by n3wton »

Good Work Razor,

Re: download Links - just hotlink straight to the file at Wasted! overwise we'll end up with duplicate files all over the place ;) especially on same server! ;)
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Stomping On Kittens

Post by Razor »

Right-o, I'll change them all back to link directly to the file.

Check who’s online