Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Alex's Garage

For everything that doesn't belong elsewhere.
Toxic
motorised death

Alex's Garage

Post by Toxic »

Could do with a bit more dirt ;)

*whispers* and spikes :P
shane
Stainless

Alex's Garage

Post by shane »

Nice work! That looks bloody luverly - can't wait to drive it in game!
Ex-Carmageddon Community Manager - Carmageddon.com
AlexTSK
mindless

Alex's Garage

Post by AlexTSK »

shane wrote:Nice work! That looks bloody luverly - can't wait to drive it in game!
Much appreciated sir :)
AlexTSK
mindless

Alex's Garage

Post by AlexTSK »

Fleshing out the hawk's rear a bit more, for some reason deviant art won't preview this particular image even after I cleared the cache and history so I've resorted to imgur :/

AlexTSK
mindless

Alex's Garage

Post by AlexTSK »

Almost done with the sketch :)

Considering whether to leave the wing, remove it, or make it flush with the bodywork and rise as the car speeds up à la Hawk R and Eagle R

Full Resolution
Fuel
speed freak

Alex's Garage

Post by Fuel »

In my humble opinion it looks better without the spoiler. However, if you can do it you may as well have it rise out.
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Alex's Garage

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Interesting shape & some neat lines there. I'd keep the wing as an aerofoil that rises like the Eagle R & Hawk R. Setup work for that in-game can be as simple or complex as you want.
Just another '80s Dreamer....
Twitter Manifestation. - Mods for Max Damage.
Please do not use my old/deadname.
MrDeviance
turbo bastard

Alex's Garage

Post by MrDeviance »

Bloodstability wrote:Done and dusted! Been a long time indeed. I'll set up the damage textures and skins once the game releases, hope this junk drives good!

Full Resolution

This is the level of detail and graphics quality that I was expecting Reincarnation to have had in this day and age, especially when it sucks pc resources like a professional whore.

This level of graphics quality is literally what I envisioned when I joined this forum and started getting hyped about C:R

Then reality struck me as it did most of us that think C:R is nowhere near what it should have looked like for this day and age.

All budget excuses aside, Stainless should absolutely NOT make a new carmageddon game, unless they are capable of making it look at least as good as this render here.

This render looks like what unreal engine 3 would be able to do in real time.

Not that I expect Stainless to afford to make a new carma game after C:R gets released but still...

If Stainless wants to make a sequel to C:R, graphics, ped model and animation complexity and optimization should be their number one priority.
FatCat
mindless

Alex's Garage

Post by FatCat »

Woah hey, oh, hey! When did that hawk happen? It's really gorgeous.
AlexTSK
mindless

Alex's Garage

Post by AlexTSK »

The materials more closely mimic the materials in UE4, though I'd imagine my car will take up at least double the memory that a car in Reincarnation will take up, which will make it run even worse :P
skyNET
turbo bastard

Alex's Garage

Post by skyNET »

Bloodstability wrote:The materials more closely mimic the materials in UE4, though I'd imagine my car will take up at least double the memory that a car in Reincarnation will take up, which will make it run even worse :P
You forgot that Cap'n Hindsinght knows better. Always.

Lost track of progress somewhere... number of triangles for this render is...?
AlexTSK
mindless

Alex's Garage

Post by AlexTSK »

229488, just about double or triple than some of the vehicles in CR. On a side note, there is a pretty odd inconsistency in the tri-count of the vehicles in CR, some are 90+ thousand while a few others barely make it past 5o.

All this talk of performance and tri counts makes me want to re-iterate that I reworked the car to be in line with the CR cars, but of course I looked at the models and said "What parts of these models could I improve if there wasn't a strict limit" soo I just went with 'double it' for the tri count. The number of textures is probably about the same as a CR car with maybe one extra being the gauges/interior labels.

EDIT @ Mr Deviance, the renders are taken real time, meaning they aren't really renders but just screenshots.
FatCat
mindless

Alex's Garage

Post by FatCat »

200,000? That doesnt seem all that bad for C:R if you somehow manage to decimate the geometry in order to reach a triangle count of 100,000.
AlexTSK
mindless

Alex's Garage

Post by AlexTSK »

FatCat wrote:200,000? That doesnt seem all that bad for C:R if you somehow manage to decimate the geometry in order to reach a triangle count of 100,000.
That tri count is final, I think you're confusing the word 'decimate' with 'optimize' or 'reduce' :)
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Alex's Garage

Post by '80s Time Warp »

The differences between the Stock cars, mainly results from how certain body styles are more demanding in terms of triangles than others. An example of this (on a smaller detail) being the lights on Caddy & Stiffshifter. These older cars have period correct round lights with matching bezels, versus Countslashes rectangular lights. It's not to say the rectangular lights are any less better looking 'detail wise', but round lights require significantly more triangles than rectangular units to look as good. A culmination of elements like this across bodywork & core structure is usually where you will get the difference in triangles across each car. This will then have a knock-on effect on the required detail for mechanical parts, base interior, etc.

Size will also have an effect. If you're modelling a bigger vehicle, you'll need more triangles to fit in.

230K Tris! I'm guessing that is not including wheels. If so, it's the same as 3 of Big Dump (75K) hehe. The mechanical parts are probably the prime candidate for getting a diet when you want to get it in-game (if you want to cut down).

Either way it's still a great looking piece.
AlexTSK
mindless

Alex's Garage

Post by AlexTSK »

@ '80s Time Warp, that tri count does include the wheels :)

I'm well aware that certain body styles will necessitate the use of more geo, but I just feel like the main inconsistencies in the cars come from certain parts that could use far less geo, like the engine in the electric blue. As far as I know it has a unique engine that isn't used across several cars but its quite heavy in tri count, those polys could have been used elsewhere on the car.
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Alex's Garage

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Bloodstability wrote:@ '80s Time Warp, that tri count does include the wheels :)

I'm well aware that certain body styles will necessitate the use of more geo, but I just feel like the main inconsistencies in the cars come from certain parts that could use far less geo, like the engine in the electric blue. As far as I know it has a unique engine that isn't used across several cars but its quite heavy in tri count, those polys could have been used elsewhere on the car.

Ok, is that counting four or just one? since they would be instanced in-game.

With Electric Blue, True, the generator could be significantly cleaner. I've always felt that the detail across the body was fine, interior & base underbody is not so good, but then again I'm not keen on most of the car interiors.

On the mechanical part level. In my opinion, they could of made much more use of shared models & texture material. I personally don't see the point in every coil spring, shock absorber, car battery, wishbone & mount being uniquely unwrapped & textured, unless they are intending for blood splatters to apply to all car materials in final release as opposed to just the 'paint' material.
AlexTSK
mindless

Alex's Garage

Post by AlexTSK »

Counting all 4.

I don't think they are unwrapped uniquely for the sake of blood splatters. most of the underbody parts seem to just be automapped and painted so the texel density could be greatly improved if the parts were unwrapped properly and welded. Anyway too late to complain about that now :)
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Alex's Garage

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Gotcha.

Blood splatters was the only logical reason (from my perspective) that comes to mind requiring every mechanical part being uniquely mapped, outside of artistic preference. Shared textures can look just as good, then again I'm just use to sharing textures wherever possible hehe.
AlexTSK
mindless

Alex's Garage

Post by AlexTSK »

One other reason for unique UV's that comes to mind is baked ambient occlusion. Even though the game has an AO visual option, the cars and parts still have AO baked into them to look nice even in unlit conditions or with the AO turned off (I'm guessing its either part of the engine or is added by Yebis 2). Reusing and overlapping textures like they do in say GTA V wont give as good a result and unique UV's are needed even for small parts. Baking AO is a bit of a tough one when it comes to moving parts as you will hav black patches where parts occlude if said parts fall off etc so it needs to be used on parts that won't move and cleaned up on those that do :)

Grandpa Simpson answer aside, what I was getting at is the parts that move need to be moved away from any surface they are attached to when baking.
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Alex's Garage

Post by '80s Time Warp »

You're forgetting that I suggested Baking/AO to you back when you were originally working on the Towmeister ;) AO is a fair point, but there's no reason for left and right side mechanical parts that are geometrically identical to not share texture space when they would have the same appearance anyway.

Then again, my mechanical parts are always very dark due to wear & use, so the lack of baked-on AO is not a problem. It's just me nit-picking from the viewpoint of saving memory on textures. A side effect of Flatout, Crashday & Grand Theft Autos material/texture sharing hehe.
AlexTSK
mindless

Alex's Garage

Post by AlexTSK »

Yep I remember, except that I never ended up baking any AO to the textures but rather an entire AO pass for the renders. I for one have also duplicated a lot of the mechanical parts like the shocks and have mirrored the textures on quite a bit of the geometry used for the interior as well as the whole undercarriage.
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Alex's Garage

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Excellent! Glad that's cleared up.
Toxic
motorised death

Alex's Garage

Post by Toxic »

I've not the faintest idea what any of you were on about with the technical brouhaha, but it all sounds jolly spiffing! ;)
MrDeviance
turbo bastard

Alex's Garage

Post by MrDeviance »

Toxic wrote:I've not the faintest idea what any of you were on about with the technical brouhaha, but it all sounds jolly spiffing! ;)

You are such a consumer noob.
Toxic
motorised death

Alex's Garage

Post by Toxic »

MrDeviance wrote:
Toxic wrote:I've not the faintest idea what any of you were on about with the technical brouhaha, but it all sounds jolly spiffing! ;)

You are such a consumer noob.

Thank you, that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me :)
AlexTSK
mindless

Alex's Garage

Post by AlexTSK »

Finished up the turntable for the Eagle!

KakkaHousu
speed freak

Alex's Garage

Post by KakkaHousu »

What you did for Bloodstability, you monster!?! Stealing he's mod thread and models was not nicely did. Shame on you!
AlexTSK
mindless

Alex's Garage

Post by AlexTSK »

KakkaHousu wrote:What you did for Bloodstability, you monster!?! Stealing he's mod thread and models was not nicely did. Shame on you!
Sorry :(
Toxic
motorised death

Alex's Garage

Post by Toxic »

AlexTSK wrote:
KakkaHousu wrote:What you did for Bloodstability, you monster!?! Stealing he's mod thread and models was not nicely did. Shame on you!

Sorry :(

I bet you've left him laying in a ditch somewhere...
AlexTSK
mindless

Alex's Garage

Post by AlexTSK »

I also took the opportunity, and kicked him in the face :/
Toxic
motorised death

Alex's Garage

Post by Toxic »

AlexTSK wrote:I also took the opportunity, and kicked him in the face :/
Did you remember to empty his pockets?
HYLK
turbo bastard

Alex's Garage

Post by HYLK »

Hi AlexTSK

just love people who can paint and sketch.

Good work, but like others and not some, i like some cars and dislike others.

Cannonball and Sled, that's my 2 favorites. Look like the cars that would be in a derby carmageddon world. and the cars i would want to see in the game as well.

However the red eagle should have the front of the hawk. The front of the eagle looks like the ugly face to the right;
http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/274900/header.jpg?t=1431535632

Also its a ricer, it looks from behind like its from a Mazda rx8 or something uglier. Sorry, thats how i feel, otherwise it looks kinda cool.
GOD must have been stupid when he created all, stupid like me, hey.. maybe im GOD?
AlexTSK
mindless

Alex's Garage

Post by AlexTSK »

The front of the eagle resembles that face? I'm completely happy with that.
AlexTSK
mindless

Alex's Garage

Post by AlexTSK »

Cannonball updated, this is what I will be modelling once I get some time :)

Check who’s online