Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

80s Time Warps AA Fan Art

For everything that doesn't belong elsewhere.
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Indeed. Carkey and Clutch were one of my favourites from Splat pack. That modified challenger just reminds me of the cow car from Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome hehe.

Anyway, the Leadpumpers' suspension has been completely rebuilt to match a reference taken from a stock C:R car, there's now 3 times as many parts in the front suspension (including steering). I can't really do much more with it until I can get it in-game, which is dependant on buying a new PC that can run C:R.

Subsequently I have started on the next car. I mentioned some time back the 'Ped-Mincer' (Scrapped from the Leadpumper) would be going onto a new car, and here it is. There is still a lot of work to do - the normal maps used in the renders below are completely messed up so excuse the raised decals.

Monty Carnage

Spoiler: Driver and vehicle Info

Driver: Magnus Hasardson

Bio: This mad Icelandic racing driver fixed up this old Monty with a view to causing maximum carnage on the track. He believes in driving fast, hitting hard and not much else... ...That explains why the Monty has no brakes. Literally no brakes. Drive fast, Driver faster or hit something

Vehicle Type: Personal-luxury/Muscle Car

C.R.A.P Ratings:

• Acceleration: 8/10

• Top Speed: 6/10

• Handling: 3/10

• Armour: 7/10

• Offensive: 9/10

Full Specifications:

• Vehicle Type: (Modified Production) - 2 Door Coupe (Personal Luxury/Muscle Car)

• Powertrain Type: Internal Combustion Engine/ICE - Front Engine/Rear Wheel Drive

• Engine Details: V8 - 454 Cubic Inches (1 x 4 Barrel Carburettor) - 471 Horsepower, 530 lb/ft Torque

• Drivetrain Details: Automatic Transmission (4 Speed with Overdrive)

• Acceleration (Zero to Sixty): 6.9 Seconds

• Top Speed: 160 Miles Per Hour

• Suspension: Stock/Original

• Brakes: None/Useless

• Curb Weight: 5000 Pounds / 2.5 Tons

• Other Notes: Heavy ramming implements with Pedestrian Mincer (Powered off the Crank) fitted

Another '70s Interior
Just another '80s Dreamer....
Twitter Manifestation. - Mods for Max Damage.
Please do not use my old/deadname.
AlexTSK
mindless

Post by AlexTSK »

Like I said there's never too much muscle in CR! :) that interior colour puts me off though haha
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Thanks Blood :) The interior colour isn't final hehe, it was meant to match the dark green vinyl interior colour available on the '70 Monte Carlo, I just wanted it to look a little different from the black vinyl interior that I've used for the Barger and Leadpumper hehe. I'll probably end up changing it back to black or dark blue.
AlexTSK
mindless

Post by AlexTSK »

Oh right I see! then it would probably look quite nice being much more reflective just like in the image, keep it up dude. It's funny you and I are in the same boat, I also dont have a machine that can handle C:R properly, at most I can load Errol's test map which is basically a flat plane with a couple of ramps hehe
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

It should look good in the end, I need to re-do the vinyl texture, as my original base vinyl was darkened (for the 'Pumper and Barger) and to keep things quick I just re-brightened it and adjusted the colour (very badly), which is part of why it looks so **** at the moment hehe. You get a little further with the game than me, I can't actually get the game to start due to running XP 32 bit, hehe.
Maxfannumber1
pedestrian

Post by Maxfannumber1 »

nice work the cars look great
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

I love how most of your cars have that slight mad maxish hint to it! awesome work !
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

I love how most of your cars have that slight mad maxish hint to it! awesome work !
Thanks hehe. The first cars I ever built (years ago) were all for a mad max style mod, and that has certainly left its mark on my work.

nice work the cars look great
Thanks man. Work on the cars is currently paused until I can test my chassis parts, and then port them from the leadpumper to the others, and adapt where necessary. Sadly that won't be until I have a new PC. However I have also been working on a little something for Hex1gon, which once done I will send back to him to put in-game. Images coming soon
WOOTinator
driver

Post by WOOTinator »

Well. This just gave me a raging hard-on.
KakkaHousu
speed freak

Post by KakkaHousu »

Thanks hehe. The first cars I ever built (years ago) were all for a mad max style mod, and that has certainly left its mark on my work.

Was that mod DEATHday for Crashday? Found that from flatoutjoint and uploader is '80s Time Warp.
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Was that mod DEATHday for Crashday? Found that from flatoutjoint and uploader is '80s Time Warp.

That's Me. The quality of my work at the time wasn't great, but it laid the foundation for what I roll out (off of my virtual assembly line) now.

EDIT: Some pics of the new WIP, and without further delay: "Ain't Nothin' On Earth that can Stop a Convoy!"

This is the first vehicle of mine with fully correct tires for use in CR, only a few small details remain and then it will be sent back to Hex1gon and hopefully He can get it in-game.

Spoiler: The following contents are for when articulated vehicle support is in :)

EDIT2: For slightly larger images, go to: http://madmikeproductionsonline.com/portfolio/portfoliosubsection09/
KakkaHousu
speed freak

Post by KakkaHousu »

Looks great! Do you plan make any others from Vigilante 8 or Interstate 76?
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Looks great! Do you plan make any others from Vigilante 8 or Interstate 76?
Possibly, I liked the: '70 Picard Piranha (I '76), Thunderbolt (V8 SO), El Guerro (V8 SO) and some others. But I probably won't do any more V8/Interstate cars until most (or all) of my old Carma-style cars (See first post) have been re-done and are in-game. The Moth Truck got Fast-forwarded as it was one of my Favourite Vehicles from the Original V8, plus I'm at a dead end in terms of mechanical parts for my cars until I can test my stuff in-game.

I know every mechanical part I've put on the Moth Truck should be supported by CR (from their list of supported suspension types), and it's a similar style of suspension to what is used on the Plow (Live axles & Leaf Springs). Also I've studied Electric Blues Steering Geometry (inner and outer Tie Rods, Steering Ram) as a guide for building mine.

Put Simply, any more V8/Interstate cars probably wouldn't be done until the following are done:

• Leadpumper Redux (currently WIP)

• Stodge Barger Rebuild (currently WIP)

• Monty Carnage (currently WIP)

• CBT Dog Nose Hauler (Wheels/mechanical parts need redoing)

All below need a full rebuild:

• Blood Riviera MK II

• Paralyser Trash-Em

• Hick Pickup

• Hevy 'Impaler

• The Sled

• Semi MKIII

• FearLiner Tow Truck

The other carma' style cars I did probably won't get redone.

EDIT: More WIP, The truck is complete (except for damage texture) so I've been detailing the trailer, despite support for articulated vehicles being a while away.

The plan is for the trailer to have a lot of detachable parts.

EDIT: First In-game tests (still alot of setup work to be done) - this is all WIP

AlexTSK
mindless

Post by AlexTSK »

Yeah! Looking good! Glad you can finally play the game :)
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Thanks Blood! Definitely glad I can play it, and especially now I can really start getting the cars setup :)
FatCat
mindless

Post by FatCat »

Daaaamn, nice job '80s Time Warp
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Thanks FatCat!

A little bit of a progress update. At times this process is slow, but the results are well worth it :)

Finally got my own wheels on the truck, still got to setup the doubles for the rear axle though.

A couple more pics:
Testing hinges, and deflated tires
Ok Self abuse, do your worst

Stangely, the exporter seems to be ignoring the alpha channel on the window texture so I'm getting solid windows
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

One tip for making the process a bit more efficient: set Carma to be in a window and then you can just exit the race and stay in the race set up menu while you make changes to the car. It will all be reloaded when you start the next race, saves a lot of time.

Also the textures should maintain their alpha channel, but the materials it generates are plain basic materials without transparency, only there to save having to create all the MT2 files initially, but if you want to have things like transparency or car body damage materials or even use normal maps and specular maps, you will have to edit the MT2 files manually. They are just XML files, look at the existing car's materials for reference.
a.k.a. Brent
FatCat
mindless

Post by FatCat »

Also, check out Vlad if you want a clue in how to setup different wheels for front and back.
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

Great truck, only the rear wheels are strange... I mean...

Shouldn't it be like double wheels instead of weirdly wide wheels?

like this?
Larse
driver

Post by Larse »

CzechDeath wrote:Great truck, only the rear wheels are strange... I mean...

like this?

Wasn't that what he just said he was going to do?
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

One tip for making the process a bit more efficient: set Carma to be in a window and then you can just exit the race and stay in the race set up menu while you make changes to the car. It will all be reloaded when you start the next race, saves a lot of time.

Also the textures should maintain their alpha channel, but the materials it generates are plain basic materials without transparency, only there to save having to create all the MT2 files initially, but if you want to have things like transparency or car body damage materials or even use normal maps and specular maps, you will have to edit the MT2 files manually. They are just XML files, look at the existing car's materials for reference.

Thanks Trent! That's helped a bit. I've got some of the materials setup properly now :)

Also, check out Vlad if you want a clue in how to setup different wheels for front and back.
Already been looking into it. Thanks anyway FatCat. My first attempt didn't work out but I was trying to edit the .cfg with notepad instead of a proper editor hehe. The different rear wheels are all working now though :)

Thanks for the input Czechdeath, but as Larse has pointed out - I did mention that was on the 'to-do' list here. The doubles on the rear axle are now setup. Pics will follow tomorrow
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

Oh sorry mike, didn't notice that =D Carry on - great work ! =D
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

No worries Czechdeath :)

Apologies for the delays but the pic's that I was intending to upload yesterday

Time to give The Plow a headache
Rear axle doubles (low shot)
Rear axle doubles (high shot)
FatCat
mindless

Post by FatCat »

'80s Time Warp wrote:
Daaaamn Mike, that looks badass as hell! Also, i love the big action going on with the explosion in the background. =D
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Thanks FatCat. That screen is one of my favourites aswell :)

A little update for today. The lights (Head, Tail, Roof, Brake & Reverse) are all working. Textures do need to be tweaked as they're far too bright

Interior shot
Experimenting With UI assets
Damage texture WIP

The refelctions on the body are far too heavy, I've got to tweak the specular maps at some point

Merry Christmas Everyone
AlexTSK
mindless

Post by AlexTSK »

Good stuff mike, keep at it it looks like it's coming along slowly but surely!
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Thanks Blood. I've finally figured out the specular maps, so now my truck doesn't have the same metallic paint shine across everything.

Originally I though the specular map just determined the amount of reflectivity (how 1998 of me hehe), but it also sets the reflection colour (base image) with the alpha channel determining the amount of reflectivity

Eat 8 Tons of Semi (Truck) Cop!

I've just got to solve the light flares, and then this is almost ready for a beta release :)
FatCat
mindless

Post by FatCat »

Sweet-looking model '80s Time Warp, it looks really well done. Also, arent those specular maps great? There is so many effects that can be done by fucking around with the colors =D If you want to try out the type of technique that worked best for making paint for me, here's what i did:

The diffuse map is normal, and set at 100% opacity.

For the Specular map, set the brightness really really dark and the colors very very desaturated, but set the opacity of the transparency at 84% (0% would be completely invisible), that's what my WIP Eagle MK3 is running at the moment. Due to the Moth truck being a truck, maybe crank down the opacity to make it a little less reflective, but hey, let's see how that works out for you!
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Thanks for the input FatCat. :) That's not far off of what I've done hehe, although opacity is certainly cranked down a few notches. I used the towmeisters specular map as a guide, but went a little lighter. The chrome has a nice shine to it, and the body has only a faint shine :) (I cranked the settings to max for this shot)

I'll certainly try your technique when I get to the Leadpumper & Stodge Barger, they will need a nice overall glossy shine :)

I've managed to get the damage indicator working (mostly), for some reason it won't use the body damage indicator. Checking to make sure I haven't just mis-spelt it in the damage layout file.

Spoiler: Edit1

Edit: I still can't get the body indicator working, or get the light generators to illuminate the road but otherwise everything is just about done now :)

That Hurt!

Spoiler: Edit2

Edit2: I'm not sure exactly how this happened. There's total anarchy down on the docks at the MagNuChem Acid Reprocessor - involving the Cleaver, an un-named car and a shipping container.

EDIT 3: This is still work in progress, but it's time to reveal the next car being set-up. The Leadpumper is back.

Battle of the Landyachts, time to settle an old score.

Feel the Power!

Spoiler: Whats this? Animated headlamp covers :)

FatCat
mindless

Post by FatCat »

Animated headlamp covers? Woah, but how? :O
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

Wow Mike you mad skille! =D I love this!
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Animated headlamp covers? Woah, but how? :O
I'm afraid the answer isn't as impressive as I might have made out. The covers are jointed parts that close when the flaps key is pressed ;)

The only downside is that in exchange for this - the front end cannot remain a detachable part, that is unless (in the final release of the game) joints are no longer defined relative to the car, but relative to the part.

Wow Mike you mad skille! =D I love this!
Thanks Czech :)

EDIT: Thanks to FatCat for the idea on how to get this working, hubcaps are detachable :D

Todays "You don't wanna know how this happened screenshot"

Testing on higher settings:

EDIT2: The Leadpumper is almost ready for release, so here's a teaser of what is next
HEX1GON
turbo bastard

Post by HEX1GON »

Your work is amazing as always. Even your WIP ones are sweet already!
FatCat
mindless

Post by FatCat »

Mike, i'm super impressed by how high-quality your leadpumper is. :O

Check who’s online