Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

[RELEASE] Carmageddon 2 BETA Mod!

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

After months and months of working on it (and a lot of time not working on it), my BETA Mod for Carmageddon 2 is finally complete and ready to be released!

Carmageddon II: Carpocalypse Now! BETA Modification is a complete conversion of Carmageddon II: Carpocalypse Now! and a standalone release, it is available in two formats, ZIP archive and a hassle-free installer that includes shortcuts and a configuration screen before you play the mod for the first time!

The mod includes an easy-to-setup Glidewrapper that will make the game look it's best, if you download the installer then it will automatically prompt you on setting up the Glidewrapper for the game, if you download the zipped archive then you will have to configure the included Glidewrapper manually.

-- FEATURES --

Carmageddon II: Carpocalypse Now! BETA Modification includes the following features:

Spoiler:

-Brand new, complex font system based on fonts that appear in early builds of Carmageddon 2

-Tweaked powerups based on older designs of powerups

-New explosion, splash, flames and smoke effects based on earlier builds of Carmageddon 2

-New intro cutscene based on demo versions of the game

-Early incomplete drones present in previews of Carmageddon 2 are back in the game and original drone paths are now active within certain levels

-All new, grittier menu UI and cleaner layout

-Brand new pedestrians based on early concepts by Stainless

-Unused pedestrians are back in the game

-OLD powerup boxes

-Altered level order

-Increased opponent amount

-Damage system reworked to make cars easier to bend as evidenced in demo versions of the game

-Tweaked levels based on early designs, levels also now play at different times of day as evidenced in some early screenshots

- Menu and Car images based on early appearances

-The following vehicle changes based on early concepts/builds are present:

Hell Rod - Old wheels, now features blue outline around it's flames, driver also changed to Mad Harry

Bug Too - Minor changes based on old textures

Buzzmobile - Driver textures based on original Buzz appearance

Purple Piledriver - Official in-dev Stainless model featuring blades on the wheels as originally intended, driver also changed to AJP Hate

DC Codbra - Old wheels, added blood back to the vehicle, other minor changes

Copcar - Old design based on unused textures for the vehicle, now uses a similar colour schene to C1 cops

Red Vet - Added blood back

Lamb O'Genie - Added blood back, driver also changed to Larry Lamba

Digga - Official complete Stainless model, features variation of original textures, Digga lives!

Plow Mk2 - Added blood back

Eagle 3 - Four models of the Eagle are available in the game, by default the Demo model but Prototype, Alpha and Final Eagle 3 models unlock upon completion of the game

Cow Poker - Fixed alpha channels

Hick Pickup - Uses original textures, as evidenced in early screenshots

Ice Van - Mentioned during the development of the game and only ever appearing in Carmageddon 64, the Ice Cream Van is back in the game and unlocks upon completion!

Mad Morris - Fixed alpha channels, driver also changed to Stalwart Fellow

Monster Beatle - Model fixed up, uses old textures based on unused textures and early appearances of the vehicle

Prop Shafter - Now in it's original, bright orange paintjob!

Porker 2 - Added blood back, uses original textures, headlights now properly implemented, driver also changed to Sid Pig

Blood Riviera - Added blood back, vehicle based on it's appearance in early screenshots

Twister 2 - Official in-dev Stainless model featuring rear drill as originally intended

Tashita 2 - Fixed headlights, uses original textures

Vlad 3 - Added blood back

Abba Cab - Uses original textures as evidenced by early screenshots

Flower Plower - Now appears as an opponent

Street Machine - Added blood back, uses original textures based on early concepts and it's Carmageddon 64 appearance

-- SCREENSHOTS --

Spoiler:

-- CREDITS --

Mod created by: Razor

Official in-dev templates, models, scenes, levels, textures, builds, executables, files courtesy of: Errol

Fixed Monster Bug, Digga, Red Hawk, Icevan, Cerby & other little fixes courtesy of: Toshiba-3

Tips on the font system of Carma2: Harmalarm

This modification is based on early assets & original concepts by Stainless Games

Thanks for helping me out with insight and information during the development of this mod: Nobby, Shane

Testers:

Toshiba-3, Razor

-- DOWNLOAD THE MOD --

Links to download the mod either in standalone installer form or as a zipped archive can be found over at Stomping On Kittens, follow this link for those:
http://r.carmajunkies.com/2016/06/26/carmageddon-2-beta-mod-now-released/

(Files are at the bottom of the page)

This page also includes more information on the mod, screenshots and other tidbits.

Cheers,

~Razor.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Cynatix
mechanic

Post by Cynatix »

Geez! No wonder I havent been seeing much of you on here! This looks absolutely amazing, and i cant wait try try it out, as soon as I can, well played, Razor!
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Cynatix wrote:Geez! No wonder I havent been seeing much of you on here! This looks absolutely amazing, and i cant wait try try it out, as soon as I can, well played, Razor!
:) thanks and I hope you enjoy the changes

The standalone installer will get you playing in no time at all!
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Cynatix
mechanic

Post by Cynatix »

Having loads of fun with it, and Im SO glad it doesnt deviate too much from the original game, it really feels like a Carma 2 Splat-Pack sorta thing. Hope to see more from it, and I cant wait to see what more's in it. (Kindasound like im a propagandist, dont i?) But nonetheless, it is good, and you did well, 'gratz.
legomeaker101
hit n run

Post by legomeaker101 »

great mod but shouldn't you have to own the game to add mods?
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Legomeaker101 wrote:great mod but shouldn't you have to own the game to add mods?

No, Stainless have stated many times in the past that they are happy for us to fiddle with the game and release what we like.

It is a total conversion of the game, so much content has been changed that it requires it's own standalone release, if I were to release it as a mod to add to an already existing copy of the game all I would pretty much be doing is deleting the executable and that executable is readily available to download from resources like RR2000, so yeah, basically no, you don't have to own the game.

In any case you should already own the game at least 7 times!

There are many mods out there for Carmageddon 2 that are standalone releases including but not limited to: Harmalarm's DD2C2TC, SoD, Toshiba-3's upcoming Vanilla C2, C2 Advanced and so on, all of which are worth downloading and playing, especially the first one ;)
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Legomeaker101 wrote:great mod but shouldn't you have to own the game to add mods?

Who doesn't own Carmageddon 1 and 2 at least one time?

We expect everyone to own the games. This makes modding TCs easier and with a serene state of mind. If someone deliberately doesn't intend to own the game, there's nothing we can do about it and whatever we'd try he'd find a way around it. So we don't bother with that struggle :)

Raptor wrote:executable is readily available to download from resources like RR2000

Or even directly from SCi back in the day... as patches!

Congrats on the release, Razor :)
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Eviron
hit n run

Post by Eviron »

Hey Razor, played the first three races so far and really like the bigger driver field - though on medium difficulty it can still be over quickly due to slight hits often directly wasting opponents (can't recall atm if it just used to be this way in beta version?), will crank it up to hard eventually and see how it behaves then - and different ambience, peds + traffic cars. They are not just in to be in your way and pushed around anymore but push back and I had a funny situation where an opponent got destroyed by being shoved into a barrier by traffic. :D The bending and splitting also is very sweet! ^^ My car ended up looking crazy crumpled so many times.
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Nice work Razor. Congrats on the big release :)
Just another '80s Dreamer....
Twitter Manifestation. - Mods for Max Damage.
Please do not use my old/deadname.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Eviron wrote:Hey Razor, played the first three races so far and really like the bigger driver field - though on medium difficulty it can still be over quickly due to slight hits often directly wasting opponents (can't recall atm if it just used to be this way in beta version?), will crank it up to hard eventually and see how it behaves then - and different ambience, peds + traffic cars. They are not just in to be in your way and pushed around anymore but push back and I had a funny situation where an opponent got destroyed by being shoved into a barrier by traffic. :D The bending and splitting also is very sweet! ^^ My car ended up looking crazy crumpled so many times.
Yes, you will find that the first few levels opponents are extremely easy to waste, this was always the case even in the final version of C2 but because you have an even greater chance to bend vehicles now to match the demo releases this makes the earlier levels even easier to win by wasting opponents, unfortunately there is no solution to this, I did test different softness/hardness ranks during development but due to being limited to what the game allows I stuck with what is present in the final, once you get past the first couple of groups and the bigger vehicles are introduced things become a bit more challenging. Alternatively you could always play through the entire game with Buzzmobile or Bugga ;)
Eviron
hit n run

Post by Eviron »

It feels a little bit easier than in vanilla C2, though. Even on hits that don't bend the car. Not a really bad thing and I'm confident it will change over the course of groups as you said - but sometimes you collect credits and just roam around and the opponents gently touch lampposts or barriers, instantly explode and the race is over. :( And on top I accidentally picked up max offensive/armor in an early race. xD Will load an older save for continuing. ^^ I'll try racing with the lighter, more fragile cars! :) Am just someone who's sticking with Eagle nearly always. Once again, great job! Also to everyone else involved!
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Yeah, I was going to remove APO entirely but with it being hardcoded I decided it's best not to do it due to my emphasis on people being able to use whatever executable they like, I could have alternatively removed the powerups but the UI elements would still be there, so again not much point.

You should all be part of the NoAPO club anyway, only the cool kids play the whole game with no APO. ;)

Check who’s online