Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

[Renrie] Carmageddon 2 car - please comment (help needed)

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
renrie
driver

Post by renrie »

Hey everyone,

A few days ago I was fiddling with 'Google (S)ketchup!'.

While I was exploring the program, the idea came to me to make a 3D model. (See result below)

at a certain point I was wondering if I could put this vehicle in C2 (that's where the forum/ experienced modders/ modelers come in).

As it is not clear to me how to continue and what programs and files I need.

a few other questions are:

- Is it even posible?!

- What kind of file should my 3D model be?

- Should I add a driver and a chair? (would like a dude wearing a laboratory coat if posible)

- Do I need space for the wheel-shafts?

- The engine bay is empty at this point, should I fill it up or can I 'add' an engine in some other Software?

- Can I leave the windows and textures on the vehicle or should I delete them.

- Would the given dashboard camera be useable?

As the paintjob is a bit bland, I would like to make it a bit post apocalyptic/ war-ish (naked steel with rusted dents and stuff) and on the side of the vehicle (that big empty spot) I would like to add 'MAD MEDIC!' with a red graffiti font (some for back doors (DO NOT ENTER DOCTOR INSIDE)) as for the back doors and air intake I would like to use a Checker plate texture, the pointy bits and bumpers would need some blood/gore textures.

How I've got this idea:

I've seen some pictures of 'MAX' wearing some doctors mask/uniform, so I though about: MAD MEDIC!

while I though about it, those doors from the walking dead (I suppose) came to mind (saying: DO NOT ENTER DEAD INSIDE) so I would like to add something similar as that to the back doors: 'DO NOT ENTER DOCTOR INSIDE' (or something like that)

Picture:

Spoiler:

I hope I've informed you all enough, and I would like to thank you all in advance!

Don't hesitate to criticize (positive or negative) just don't troll ;)

CHEERS!!!
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Yes, you can use Google Sketchup to make mods for C2. Coffeycup uses it for both cars and tracks iirc. At some point you'll have to export as .3DS if I'm not mistaken. Either to use 3dsMax to convert from 3DS to ASE, then use ASE2ASC to bring it in PT2. Or to use 3dsMax with Harm's Carmatools. Would be better with a driver yes. Would look better with proper wheel shaft space but the game physics won't care, so up to you. You could use the game's default engine model but you'll have to import it in Sketchup (copying it from scratch and using the original textures might go faster). Leave the windows, but only one sided. No camera can be imported ingame, however you can set coordinates (from the vehicle's origin) for the bumper cam and the cockpit cam.

I'd advice you to start as simple as possible, just to at least test the whole exporting/importing process. Like a box and four wheels. Keep in mind some of the game's limitations like 1000 verts/tris per static component, 256x256 max textures, the game prefering lowpoly models, etc. Try to read some stuff at CWA about starting an addon.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction

Check who’s online