Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

What are the best points and worst points of TDR?

All things Carmageddon TDR2000 related - hey, it's got multiplayer.
The Unbreakable Kavinsky
driver

Post by The Unbreakable Kavinsky »

I just got to thinking about this after the recent steam release of it, as I remembered reading one of the reviews for it back in the day from what I think it was for gamespot where they described the game as precisely 1/2 Frustration, the other Fun.

and I must wonder what were the general points that everyone who played it back then thought were good and bad, as I must admit I was intrigued by the idea of a story for the game and the idea of missions like cross the bridge in time and you vs the cops to get to that city at the end, as it gave it a weird palpable feel of desperation to it

along with the changes to the eagle, even if it did seem like it was just made out of rusted tin and fell apart in heartbeat.

and I did like seeing the mad max cars in the game, Big Bopper, the Falcon, along with knight rider of all things, and I did like the graphical style for the game, although I guess it seemed much more twisted metal than carmageddon.

dark skies, sort of red earth tones everywhere, and it seemed reminiscent of that, the 2012 game (that sounds like it might be the last game in the series) and Vigilante 8

or even that old film Total Recall for that matter, and now I instantly think of that get your ass to mars thing for some reason.

so what did everyone else take from the game, good and bad?
SapoPT
hit n run

Post by SapoPT »

I don't like the damage model as much as previous carmageddon's, some cars are too stupid, the AI looks a bit worse

I like some missions, there are some cool ones although there are some bad ones, love the nitro (I think it should be like this in C:R).

Then there are a lot of things which I don't think they are good or bad, just different from others carma, like the graphical style. Because of that I think a lot of people don't like it, they didn't enjoy their game changing that much, especially the driving model, so I think that's why so many hate it.

Overall I did enjoyed playing the game when I did a few years ago when it came out, without knowing at the time that it wasn't from the same team that did previous carma, but just enjoying what it has to offer. It isn't as good as other carma, but they are some games out there much worse, and if you can have a good time playing it, instead of criticizing that is different, you should go ahead and try it and that's what I did
flykas
turbo bastard

Post by flykas »

Bad:

Damage model

AI driver flying behind you when you don't see them

Some cars are poorely done

Dificult to setup

Good:

Wheels falling of

Dark postapocalyptick atmoshphere

Afterburner powerup

Howercar powerup

Nuke

Meteorit storm powerup

Some missions

Cops

Peds atacking cars

Intresting levels

Car handling

Story
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

TDR was the first Carmageddon I ever played, and I thoroughly enjoyed it in its own right. After playing C2 and C1 at a much later date, I can see why a lot of the fans hated it so much, as it is a very different game.

Looking back I hated:

- how the Large trucks were actually less durable than the smallest cars,

- some of the missions were infuriating.

- the max 4 minute time limit on each race

I loved:

- the huge amount of detachable parts

- the range of vehicles

- some of the levels (hi-rise, slums, police state, the bridge)

- vehicle handling

- afterburner and hovercar powerups

EDIT: corrected the misplacing (in my tired state) of the '4 minute limit' under 'loved' elements.
Just another '80s Dreamer....
Twitter Manifestation. - Mods for Max Damage.
Please do not use my old/deadname.
Breakin'Benny
speed freak

Post by Breakin'Benny »

Okay, you liked the 4-minute clamp. Can you explain why?
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Oops, that was mean't to be under the 'hated' category. It was late and I'd had a long day, I'll correct that.
Just another '80s Dreamer....
Twitter Manifestation. - Mods for Max Damage.
Please do not use my old/deadname.
flykas
turbo bastard

Post by flykas »

Breakin'Benny wrote:Okay, you liked the 4-minute clamp. Can you explain why?
I kindof liked that. Because it adds interesting gameplay, because you allways have to be in a rush and don't hvae time to think , its like aditional challange that requires you to play differently. Now I wouldn't want it to be like that in C:R, but I'd like it as a game mode.
Breakin'Benny
speed freak

Post by Breakin'Benny »

flykas wrote:
Breakin'Benny wrote:Okay, you liked the 4-minute clamp. Can you explain why?

I kindof liked that. Because it adds interesting gameplay, because you allways have to be in a rush and don't hvae time to think , its like aditional challange that requires you to play differently. Now I wouldn't want it to be like that in C:R, but I'd like it as a game mode.

How about no, TDR's pedestrians being able to survive even with a lost leg is just wrong (what do I care about involving the radiation somehow making the people resistant?). 2-second time bonuses is also worth going "nope" over.
flykas
turbo bastard

Post by flykas »

Well, sorry, but I think you are just bad at it. I was able to reach the last level on hard difficulty, with extra challange of repairing only after I waste another driver.
Breakin'Benny
speed freak

Post by Breakin'Benny »

I didn't find it funny, because time bonus credits after the race ends becomes near worthless. Another part is that Torus' game engine is very prone to crashing, at least to the majority of us used to the original vision. Kill a pedestrian on any difficulty at all? Only +2 added to the timer, don't deny NerdKoopa

So tell me, what else do you like 'bout it?
Mastro 666
motorised death

Post by Mastro 666 »

No this shit again.
KakkaHousu
speed freak

Post by KakkaHousu »

Limited time does not irritate me because it increases difficulty but cause it takes away freedom to explore world.

There is no other things I hate in TDR other than timer. I don't like atmosphere of most tracks, I think they are textures that make game ugly, level design in some places is even innovative. Some very stoopid cars and most annoying announcer I heard in any game. Driving model is bit dull, pursue it case but too arcade. But there are many good things in TDR too. Damage model is decent, not best but beats many game's damage system. Afterburner is best turbo/nitro power up I ever seen in any game. I don't know why they cutted almost all iconical characters and cars from their game and replaced with own not so good ones but that is not really con because TDR is not Carmageddon game and that fact helps keep these game separate from each others.

I don't know if this is courtesy but TDR 2000 is best game Torus ever did.
The Unbreakable Kavinsky
driver

well my look at it is that the ticking clock is something that can add something and take something away, as I remember one of the key examples from the old game spyhunter 2001 is where it was done right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TSQ3r5QazQ

as it works in a rush rush to the yeyo, or rather exit like situation, but for general exploration it does suck.

I mean the two best examples of it adding tension was the spyhunter and the old games Decent 1 and 2, where you have the limited time to find the exit and get the hell out of dodge once you blow the mines reactor up.

as it ads the feeling of living on a knife edge to things, and maybe that is what they were trying to do at the expense of freedom here.

and I guess its one of those things that will always be debated really, like the ability to come back from being wasted in carma 1 and 3 vs the way it was in 2, as both add and take away something from the experience for people.

-

-

-

-

and I think I remember the afterburner thing, its basically like a big whoosh that causes the car to do a wheelie right? although i dont remember the hovercar one. I do wonder though if someone should make a mod that replaces the announcer in that game actually lol, I mean it seems like if you did that and a time hack alot the of problems people had with it would go away, or if the option to have it that way was linked into the difficulty

and I didnt even know the peds would actually attack your car with molitov's, which seems like something straight out of GTA san andreas really, and who knows maybe someone could mod that into the new one latter in the games life. as that seems like a really cool kinda thing to throw in there, like you vs the peds, and would really add to the death race 2000 like atmosphere of it , hell maybe that's why they did it in the first place.

and maybe that's what they were aiming for, a much more death race like game, rather than an open world smash everything you see kinda game that both 1 and 2 got known for.
Breakin'Benny
speed freak

Post by Breakin'Benny »

The first problem is that Carmageddon 2 was not exactly finished, Stainless had only a very limited amount of time to playtest their missions before SCi took their game and sold it. (So, that's why the missions were hard? So little time...)

Next one is, Torus Games' vision was definitely on SCi's part. I don't even know how the game engine for TDR could be so prone to crashing, unless the publisher is to blame.
The Unbreakable Kavinsky
driver

Hmm I didnt know that, and I guess that is the big problem with game development nowadays, everything is rushed out for us. As we've all heard the ubisoft, call of booty and need for speed stories.

and that is probably the scariest part of it really, I mean everyone wants to play something great NOW, and that is just not possible and the game industry, or rather the game publishing industry is killing itself to do just that.

and I must wonder if interstate 82 and the Starfleet Command series, namely 2 and 3 were victims of this back in the day. Plus the whole thing that Tannen was told in the interview he did with Nobby

where he said back then the publisher kept the rights to the actual game, as they paid for the development and thus kept the rights, and that's why they needed to buy it back in the first place. Not unlike the situation with car developers in a way, where they make an engine for a company and the company keeps the rights to it.
Epitaph
motorised death

Post by Epitaph »

Am i the only one that liked and still does the missions in all Carmageddon games?

i love the difficulty of the whole idea. It adds a nice challenge to the game and also a new type of gameplay (where you have to escape the sometimes tiring go waste all the cars, or kill peds and goes to a higher purpose lile "kill all the sick bastards in the Beaver Woods for some strange reason" or "launch the statue so it can become a ramp to escape the city").

I loved the idea Stainless came up with and that Torus developed it a bit further.

GOLDEN STUFF

<3 STAINLESS <3333
FatCat
mindless

Post by FatCat »

Epitaph, as much as the missions were a little tedious, i do agree that it does bring some fresh air to the old maps. But i think Stainless found the best in-between idea for C:R it seems, the whole thing where challenges don't seem to be essential to progressing in the game is a great idea, and at the same time, those who like missions can indulge. =D Best of both worlds in my opinion.
Deamon
turbo bastard

Post by Deamon »

The Good:

- Finally, another Carmageddon!

- Car handling

- Afterburner, Nuke and other original powerups

- Nosebleed levels

- Ped Basher, Jaws, couple other cars

the Bad, the Ugly:

- The bugs, crashes

- No Hawk

- General car design

- Damage

- Ugly Eagle

Carmageddon UNlimited Team For all your wrecking needs!
"All prey keep left. Fellow raptors keep up."
TDR2000 MAX-Pack A community add-on pack.
DEHUMANIZER95
pedestrian

Post by DEHUMANIZER95 »

Good:

- Powerups (Afterburner, ...)

- Design of the Eagle

Bad:

- The Timelimit. Why the hell do I get only +2 Seconds for killing a ped?

- Bugs

- Some of the cars are riddiculous (This Wheel...)

Undecided:

- The Missions
Malignus
pedestrian

Post by Malignus »

The only things I really hated about TDR were the timer stopping at 4 mins or so and the low time bonuses for killing a ped. It prevented me from exploring the maps the way I like. I also didn't like the dehumanization of opponents. There were no driver names or photos. Somehow wrecking a car driven by an annonymous Joe feels different from wrecking e.g. that damn Russian Ivan. Also most of the cars felt lackluster. I did like some though.

I liked the maps very much, I liked the missions (especially the bridge), I liked the shitload of references to postapocalyptic movies, and the overall postapo feeling.
FunnyOctopus
aka Privata

Post by FunnyOctopus »

Cons :

The game

Pros :

The uninstaler that is shiped with the game

:P
flynia
driver

Post by flynia »

Privata wrote:Cons :

The game

Pros :

The uninstaler that is shiped with the game

:P

Pretty much my opinion too. Played it for 2 minutes (if that) and then went back to Carmaageddon and Carpocalypse Now.
CPU: Intel i7 4770k
MOBO: ASUS Z87-A
RAM: 32GB G.Skill TridentX
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Strix 8GB OC‎
STORAGE: 2 x Crucial M550 512GB and 3TB Seagate
SOUND: ASTRO A40 + MixAMP via Soundblaster Z
CASE: Thermaltake Armor Revo
Breakin'Benny
speed freak

Post by Breakin'Benny »

Even with TDR2000 MAX-Pack, TDR 2000 is pretty bad now that I think about it.
HenitoKisou
driver

Post by HenitoKisou »

Pros:Ugly, dark, gritty style, no one cares about you, don't want you to succeed and everyone hates you, lots of cars with demented drivers taunting you with voices along with peds and hopeless maps.

Cons: Fixed timer limit and changed points system forcing you to race instead of waste things, and more missions than Carma2 often with multiple objectives that tend to imitate story. Also: all cars except Vlad have different drivers and my personal hate-reason: this is game without/that killed Die Anna! even Carma2 featured Hawk 3 and Anna as driver.
Spread the word, spread the image, spread the virus.

Check who’s online