The TDR Diary

All things Carmageddon TDR2000 related - from editing, to multiplayer, tips and hints.
User avatar
Espyo
road raged psycho
Posts: 1287
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:43 am

The TDR Diary

Post by Espyo »

smull wrote:
Espyo wrote:
That said, if you chill down, you'll notice there are always a few people willing to peacefully discuss TDR's good bits.


You mean like mrroblinx's insightful "TDR sucks, period" and nobby's "Never Talking About That Game"?


Obviously other people. I mean, come on, do I have to explain that?

smull wrote:
Espyo wrote:
The "NASCAR racing game"-like physics made the game less fun to drive for Carma veterans, as it focused more on being glued to the ground rather than flying and exploring the Y-axis. The difficulty spike came off as a buzz-kill, because in Carma, unless you follow dedicated challenges (e.g. kill all peds), you're meant to play the game for fun and relaxation, and the way you want it. The levels are smaller and less lively than on the other games. A lot of the "innovations" ended up deviating from the Carma formula too much, or become annoying.


The racing like physics allow you to do exactly that, race, which is not possible nor fun in the previous two games, because it was pointless.


For fun and relaxation i can read a book. Playing Camrageddon 1 and 2 is fun in small doses because it gets tiresome thanks to the extremely low difficulty and lack of any real challenge.

Who in the world races? See, this is what me and the others mean: you do not understand what Carma is all about. Carma was created EXACTLY to turn a 180 on the racing genre. While in racing games you... race, in Carma, you're meant to goof about, explore the terrain, kill peds, collect and use powerups, and more importantly, wreck the opponents, something you never did in other racing games. Checkpoints only really exist to help you explore a scenic (or dangerous) route, and to give the opponents something to live for. Other than that, like I said, the physics are optimal for exploring, one of Carmageddon's most fun parts. If you want to race, play a racing game, not a vehicular combat game, which is what Carma is categorized under.

Also, Carma plays nicely, but really only on the first few tracks. If you don't keep yourself on your toes, the later levels will be hell. Opponents that are really strong, race tracks that require tough skills, and more peds than you can manage. TDR mostly made you short for time, giving you little time to, again, explore. Again, you're not here to race and be done with it, you're playing Carmageddon to wreck, kill, explore, etc.

smull wrote:
Espyo wrote:
But saying it's better than the classics is just not true. Everyone agrees the classics are better, for good reasons (as was explained before), and claiming you like TDR better isn't going to change that.


In many ways it's better. Some of you are just not that open minded to see that.

Everyone agrees the originals are more fun. You're one of the very few in the planet that thinks TDR is more fun. Everyone gave details to defend themselves. You stubbornly keep your single idea. And we're close-minded? You're locked in your own TDR-loving world and refuse to take into account what anybody else says.

Everybody already explained why the originals are better, and you stick to your opinion regardless of anything. Again, if you want to like TDR better, for your weird reasons, do so, but stop trying to say TDR is better when it's objectively and unanimously agreed to not be. From this point on, everybody will just be repeating themselves, and you're the one to blame for all this chaos. So if I see another post from you that tries to convince everybody that TDR is better -- again, something everyone disagrees with and knows it's not -- I will delete it.

Like I said, relax, browse around the forum's older threads, and talk to other people who like TDR. Or don't, I don't care. But more chaos from you will have consequences. Now please, again, try to calm down, and think hard about what everyone said.
User avatar
Mad_Maxine
Pink
Posts: 3218
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:24 pm

The TDR Diary

Post by Mad_Maxine »

TDR Was the best caramgeddon ever, your all jsut part of the conspricy.

BTW, Koopa, I really enjoyed this, dont come across such awsome topics so much, I love the whole documenting things, you did a good job of talking thru the game, To be honist I never actully compleated it, I was in the police state once tho. I only very vaguly rember that map hm.

anyway Nice topic.
User avatar
Breakin'Benny
speed freak
Posts: 745
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:26 am

The TDR Diary

Post by Breakin'Benny »

Mad_Maxine wrote:TDR was the best caramgeddon ever, your all just part of the conspriacy.

TDR'd be the best CARMA if it didn't go against the idea of freedom to look around, like Wanda Lust would. (..Now where is that crack or whatever to remove the clamp?)
User avatar
smull_
pedestrian
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:28 pm

The TDR Diary

Post by smull_ »

Espyo wrote:
Who in the world races? See, this is what me and the others mean: you do not understand what Carma is all about. Carma was created EXACTLY to turn a 180 on the racing genre. While in racing games you... race, in Carma, you're meant to goof about, explore the terrain, kill peds, collect and use powerups, and more importantly, wreck the opponents, something you never did in other racing games. Checkpoints only really exist to help you explore a scenic (or dangerous) route, and to give the opponents something to live for. Other than that, like I said, the physics are optimal for exploring, one of Carmageddon's most fun parts. If you want to race, play a racing game, not a vehicular combat game, which is what Carma is categorized under.

Carmageddon is not just about wasting opponents. You had races, and checkpoints and you can win the game doing that. But the problem is that it's not done very well thanks to the wonky physics and the fact that you gain nothing from checkpoints. So your best option is the hunt down opponents, but as i said, there is no challenge in that.

TDR mostly made you short for time, giving you little time to, again, explore. Again, you're not here to race and be done with it, you're playing Carmageddon to wreck, kill, explore, etc.

TDR has a free ride, and you can explore as much as you can. But unlike Carmageddon 1 and 2, it also gives you a challenging and fun campaign.

Espyo wrote:
You stubbornly keep your single idea. And we're close-minded? You're locked in your own TDR-loving world and refuse to take into account what anybody else says.

I have played all three games, i am not stuck anywhere. Actually it's you and the other posters here who probably didn't even play TDR past the first level.

So if I see another post from you that tries to convince everybody that TDR is better -- again, something everyone disagrees with and knows it's not -- I will delete it.

So whoever disagrees with you gets silenced? And you were telling me to discuss TDR just a few posts ago? What's wrong with discussing why TDR is better? It's a forum.

Anyway as you said, everything has been said no point in discussing anything any more, whatever i say will be deleted i guess. Heh.
User avatar
Mad_Maxine
Pink
Posts: 3218
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:24 pm

The TDR Diary

Post by Mad_Maxine »

The problem with talking about how TDR is better is.. its not.

Now im not going to go ahead and say 'its the worst game ever' just to spite you, because That would be dumb, but lets think about this for a moment shall we? Think.

The orignal carmageddon was mainly about killing and wasting, its a dated game now but went against all of the orignal racing games, you Can, race in C1, and C2, and admitidly some cars are really badly set up, wich is a shame sicne the physics are actully very good, all mods have proved that the physics are capable of way past what they orignally did... wich like I said is a shame.

The problem with TDR was... racing, wasting, checkpointing, whatever the physics were kinda ass.. car handling felt.. well it just dident feel good, it wasent any better than the previus carmageddon games in my opinion. I know I know... The physics are not very good for racing. but also no opponents actully try race you, you can go around waste opponents kill peds and stuff. and Nobody will ever finish the race in any carmageddon game.

so kinda your argument is flawed.. most of the gameplay elements are the same from all carmageddon games, its jsut that TDR has diffrent physics.. admitidly sometimes the cars handle.. 'better' as in they stay on the road easyer.. but they were just not fun to drive in any way. the main thing TDR lacked was fun. you are talking about racing but im sure people would much prefer to focus on the more fun aspects of the game, theres a ton of racing games. but only one carmageddon.

now heres my opinion.

TDR had boring levels in my opinion, The apocolyptic thing dident really feel like carmagedd,on I dident like the car designs. as they were not really carmageddon like. they looked like a mash up of a hint of death race, pluss some mad max, pluss some generic apoc game cars. the peds dident look very good, there wasent much variaty in people, the drones were nicer than C2, but still felt lacking, the time was to short, people were too hard to kill, making you constantly focus on More time More time More time, this constant you are about to fail feeling striped a lot of the fun out, should be more dificulties. the cars felt too solid, you would crash, get damage, parts fell off ,but the entire cars felt very solid.. like a Much older game, no real crumpling or twisting. it just did not seem right. and the engine sounds.. ohh the engine sounds were Horrible.

alltogeather it did not feel like carmageddon, it felt like a cheap clone. even tho it was an official carmageddon title.

Theres my opinion, so woudl you kindly explain why you think TDR is the Better game? especially with such terible peds. and lack of fun wrecking cars.
User avatar
Fireman
motorised death
Posts: 781
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 8:06 am

The TDR Diary

Post by Fireman »

smull wrote:
So whoever disagrees with you gets silenced?
Haven't spend much time on the internet have you? :P

Anyway, I don't get why your main point of why TDR is better, is because it's more difficult.

The track lay-out is better, because it's more difficult. Killing peds is better, because it's more difficult. Wasting opponents is more fun, because it's more difficult. The game is more fun, because it's more difficult.. But then comes the biggest twist in your story: Racing is better/more fun, because it's easier (which it is, because your car doesn't float away at every corner).

I personally did like the racing in TDR more than C2, because your opponents would actually try to race you instead of turning around right away and driving into the water. However the most disappointing feature of TDR was the car body physics. The deformation in TDR was so horrible it wasn't enjoyable to waste opponents at all.

I kinda looked past the time issue. because I always cheat, but I can believe that it would be a problem for having fun (which according to most people here is the goald of Carmageddon) instead of doing hardcore racing.
User avatar
Espyo
road raged psycho
Posts: 1287
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:43 am

The TDR Diary

Post by Espyo »

smull wrote:Carmageddon is not just about wasting opponents. You had races, and checkpoints and you can win the game doing that.

I just said, Carma wasn't made for the races.

smull wrote:I have played all three games, i am not stuck anywhere. Actually it's you and the other posters here who probably didn't even play TDR past the first level.
I played Carma2 and TDR several times. Do you see the Carmageddon Wiki? Around half of the TDR content came from my hands. So yeah, I know well how everything in both games work, and I still strongly see how much greater Carma2 is.

smull wrote:So whoever disagrees with you gets silenced? And you were telling me to discuss TDR just a few posts ago? What's wrong with discussing why TDR is better? It's a forum.

Anyway as you said, everything has been said no point in discussing anything any more, whatever i say will be deleted i guess. Heh.


Listen, it's not about disagreeing with me. Heck, you could even call my mom a whore like some gypsy cunt, I wouldn't care. This is the internet, for crying out loud. I want to end this because, in my interest to keep the forums a healthy place of discussion for everyone, this argument has to stop. I already explained several times, and this will really be the final one. And discussing TDR with others who like it =/= forcing people to like TDR above the previous two games.

Ok people, show's over. I already said, everybody can go have their own opinions, and the thread is suffering because of pointless bickering. At this point, I do not even care if anyone else has anything else to say. I want this thread to become civil again and be about discussing Nerd Koopa's diary, and not about force-feeding people opinions.
User avatar
hazardic
motorised death
Posts: 912
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:14 am

The TDR Diary

Post by hazardic »

cmon people, smull just has his own opinion. nobody with sensible view of things could agree with him, but anyway, his point of view also has right to exist. let it flow
User avatar
Breakin'Benny
speed freak
Posts: 745
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:26 am

The TDR Diary

Post by Breakin'Benny »

Still, TDR is not better if it forces you to race... But some time bonus after passing the checkpoints is fair, in contrast to making peds easier lose limbs and survive. (Zombies have a better place here, right? I saw them in the intro of the Eagle "MK. 4" running away from apathetic cops and they undeliberately hit zombies)
User avatar
Nerd Koopa
mechanic
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:08 pm

The TDR Diary

Post by Nerd Koopa »

nobby wrote:Nerd... Awesome posts. Great descriptions, made me LOL a LOT.

Particularly awesome, as it means I finally got to find out what TDR consists of without having to play any more of it (beyond the first level, that I've started half a dozen times, only to give up in disgust/despair after several frustrating minutes).


Just wanted to express my appreciation for the effort and entertainment. Now though, I think it best that I go back to Never Talking About That Game.

And thank YOU for reading, good sir! (I know I'm replying to this very late, but life keeps happening.)
User avatar
stygimoloch
motorised death
Posts: 944
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:57 pm

The TDR Diary

Post by stygimoloch »

smull wrote:But the problem is that it's not done very well thanks to the wonky physics and the fact that you gain nothing from checkpoints.

That's rather the point. You can't complete the game just by racing - you have to fight and/or explore if you want to be able to advance. That's not the game being wonky. It was intentionally designed that way.

smull wrote:...there is no challenge in that.

And? Just because a game is more challenging doesn't necessarily mean it's better. Overcoming difficult tasks is only one way to enjoy a game, and other ways are no less valid.

Smull, you are of course welcome to believe that TDR is the best in the series - hell, I myself probably prefer it to C2 - but you're framing your opinion in such a way as to imply that anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong, weak and stupid.
User avatar
Nerd Koopa
mechanic
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:08 pm

The TDR Diary

Post by Nerd Koopa »

For the love of god, could you guys please stop arguing? Pretty please? There's about two and a half pages worth of diary, and three and a half pages worth of arguing now. You are making me regret creating this thread. If Smull pisses you off that much, just remember that even strong opinions have power only when you pay attention to them.
User avatar
Espyo
road raged psycho
Posts: 1287
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:43 am

The TDR Diary

Post by Espyo »

Hey hey, people, c'mon. I already said the discussion about that should stop.
User avatar
stygimoloch
motorised death
Posts: 944
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:57 pm

The TDR Diary

Post by stygimoloch »

Nerd Koopa wrote:If Smull pisses you off that much, just remember that even strong opinions have power only when you pay attention to them.
Not pissed off, it was just an entertaining distraction while I was procrastinating ;)
User avatar
Mad_Maxine
Pink
Posts: 3218
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:24 pm

The TDR Diary

Post by Mad_Maxine »

It should stop? But he never replied to any mof my points? :( I was the only one trying to have a sensible discussion about why he likes TDR more than carma,
User avatar
Breakin'Benny
speed freak
Posts: 745
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:26 am

The TDR Diary

Post by Breakin'Benny »

Mad_Maxine wrote:It should stop? But he never replied to any mof my points? :( I was the only one trying to have a sensible discussion about why he likes TDR more than carma,

Maybe he's sumbitch that is arrogant..., just a word.
User avatar
Confused
mechanic
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 10:18 am

The TDR Diary

Post by Confused »

Thanks for posting up your diary of playing TDR:2000

I never got past playing the demo of TDR, like many others, it just didn't feel enough like C1 and C2 to me to justify the cost of the purchase at the time.
User avatar
Teutonicus
turbo bastard
Posts: 282
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:00 am
Location: GERMANY

The TDR Diary

Post by Teutonicus »

Thanks for your Diary Nerd Koopa! I never finished the Hollowood part of the game. I´m not a single-player gamer anyway, so I didn´t care so much. The only reason why we played TDR was Online-Multiplayer. It was far from perfect, but if we couldn´t manage a C1 LAN-Party it had some entertaining arenas and game-modes and also some powerups that were fun. I didn´t write a diary about it, but left some descriptions in this thread: http://www.carmageddon.com/forum/topic/11188 (if interested).

Espyo wrote:Who in the world races?

We do :)

Checkpoint Stempede, Lap Me etc. were next to Fox ´n Hounds our favorite Multiplayer-Game-Modes, even in Carmageddon ;)

Have a look at my Youtube-Multiplayer-Videos to convince yourself: RACING = FUN!
User avatar
Espyo
road raged psycho
Posts: 1287
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:43 am

The TDR Diary

Post by Espyo »

Dark_Pontifex wrote:We do :)

Checkpoint Stempede, Lap Me etc. were next to Fox ´n Hounds our favorite Multiplayer-Game-Modes, even in Carmageddon ;)

Have a look at my Youtube-Multiplayer-Videos to convince yourself: RACING = FUN!

I said that in a jokey tone ;) Sometimes I race around as well. It's really nice to explore the track using a pre-determined path. Almost like a scenic tourist route.
User avatar
smull_
pedestrian
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:28 pm

The TDR Diary

Post by smull_ »

Removed by Administrator
I warned you about stopping, didn't I?
User avatar
MickiMatsu
turbo bastard
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:44 pm

The TDR Diary

Post by MickiMatsu »

What a great thread, it's an interesting and really entertaining way you made this Koopa :D

I had my fun with the 3'rd game, but like most of the people here I just fell back to the originals and the 3'rd one decayed slowly in comparison as it just didn't have the same charm to it, along with the many changes that I don't agree worked well for a Carmageddon game...

Thanks for a good read again Koopa, too bad half of this place turned into a hostile "don'tcha see whadda mean!?!" fest, thanks for keeping a civil tone Espyo, there's nothing worse than reading a pile of passive aggressive exagerrated posts and hand-picked out of context quotes solely used for ranting material for 2'ish pages...
User avatar
panic
hit n run
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:57 am

The TDR Diary

Post by panic »

If the truck falls into the canyon, you are not gonna get the nuke out of there. It's stuck there forever. Sometimes the nuke gets stuck in the truck's wreckage. Even worse when it lands on the wreck's oil puddle. You can back into it, but you can never get out. Your car is stuck forever. Sometimes the guard vehicles and their wrecks pile up on the nuke. You will NOT get it out of there. It's stuck FOREVER. Sometimes the guard vehicles hit the nuke and send it flying in a random direction. Since it doesn't show up on map, it's gone. FOREVER.
That's spot on, man. No words or pictures can describe how accurate that is.
User avatar
flykas
turbo bastard
Posts: 446
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2003 3:22 am

The TDR Diary

Post by flykas »

But thats how real sanbox free world works, shit can happen :]]
User avatar
Mad Max
hit n run
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:43 pm

The TDR Diary

Post by Mad Max »

but they feel like toys not games.
Omg! Hahahah :D
User avatar
CzechDeath
kill boss
Posts: 1878
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:37 am
Location: Prague

The TDR Diary

Post by CzechDeath »

Oh yea... TDR2000 =D I have spend some time playing it, while waiting for half-life 2... yes...

I always kinda took it as different game... I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either...

I will never forget the frustration of running Semi truck like 150km/h just to illogically jump across opponent car and smash myself to wall behind it instead of raming it and crush it... I spent many many hours editing to get in closer to what I wanted to have in there... failed.

I would say that only thing I really liked on TDR2000 was that it sort of brought back an atmosphere in to the game...

Carmageddon 1 have great cyberpunkish atmosphere while Carmageddon 2 is kinda nonspecific and not so compact... and TDR had some atmospehre again, not same as C1 but it had the overall feeling of compact world. that is what I liked...pretty much only thing =D

@smull

you are confusing subjectivity with objectivity... If somebody writes his/her opinion and you answare WRONG!, it is failed thinking. Opinion is subjective... it is like somebody said "I don't like chicken" and you would burst in anger yelling "NO YOU ARE WRONG! CHICKEN MEAT IS GREAT!!!" see the absurdity? how can anyone be wrong in his subjective experience? You are forcing your subjective experience on others, thinking you are being objective, but you aren't no human being is... otherwhise we would not need science, survais, polls, statistics and so on...

Sort your shit up... it isn't about any game or any forum man...

@Nerd

Great read! yea I remember very similar frustrations with missions and peds hah =D yea...
User avatar
Trent
mindless
Posts: 2945
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2000 9:08 am

The TDR Diary

Post by Trent »

flykas wrote:But thats how real sanbox free world works, shit can happen :]]
A sandbox world should be designed with the idea of "shit can happen" in mind, yes, but it should NEVER allow the player to reach a dead end where they can not complete the level/mission/game/etc. That is just bad game design. It's like that level on Trespasser (if anyone remembers that?) where you have to shoot a cabin to make it roll down a hill to form a bridge, but if you didn't shoot it right it didn't fall into position leaving you unable to progress. That's not "shit can happen", that's just shit.

If something happens which so obviously makes it impossible to complete then the mission should end in failure at that moment, rather than dragging on and making the player feel frustrated at the game not working right. For example, if the truck and nuke fall in the canyon thus making it impossible to get the nuke, the nuke should explode. Simple and obvious solution to an even more obvious problem. But it doesn't, which is bad.
a.k.a. Brent
User avatar
Nerd Koopa
mechanic
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:08 pm

The TDR Diary

Post by Nerd Koopa »

Part 2: Slums




Ah, now THIS feels much larger! *cough* that's what she said *cough* Might not be as big as Beaver City, but it sure is close. I'm really starting to like the creative map screens. First the tourist sign from Devil's Salami, now this police issued map with notes and burnt edges. It gives me that "barely survived artifact from past" -feel.

The level itself doesn't look bad either. The crumbling buildings, collapsed highway and red sky create an interesting contrast with the lively streets, colorful hologram signs and the green grass and trees. You get the sense that the place is in a state of slow recovery after the nukes. You don't see that often in games. It's usually either "everything is fine" or "everything has gone to shit".

I noticed something interesting about the opponent wheel wobble issue that I mentioned earlier. When they have raced for a while, their wheels seem to sort themselves out. On some vehicles hitting them is enough to magically fix that wacky camber. How very peculiar...

I also stumbled upon a Bad Gas powerup. The fart noises and thick green clouds got a chuckle out of me. I'm such a child.

Race 1: Slummer Time Blues

Attempt: 1

Fastest lap: 2:52

Fastest time completed: 17:20

Fastest opponent waste: 2:28

Fastest waste all opponents: 17:20

Most peds wasted: 67

The Carmageddon games are the only racing games that I know of where you can actually overshoot jumps (unless you count TrackMania). In most other games track jumps are designed with full throttle in mind. The broken freeway sections sure cost me a lot of credits. A turn right after a big jump? Seriously?

Mission 1: Slum Like It Hot

Attempt: 1

Fastest time completed: 4:11

Most peds wasted: 2

Almost didn't make it to the radio tower because I had to stop to stare at the map for a good while. The million-point turn to unstuck the Eagle on the roof didn't help much. Remember when I told about the bomb getting stuck on the car in Send in the Sharks? Well, it happened again. The feeling of "OHSHITGETOFFGETOFFGETOFF" was familiar indeed. I really need to remember to move backwards whenever I launch that thing. It doesn't make for a good hood ornament.

Race 2: Sewer Rats

Attempt: 1

Fastest lap: 2:51

Fastest time completed: 13:58

Fastest opponent waste: 4:17

Fastest waste all opponents: 13:58

Most peds wasted: 20

This race sure gets generous with Kangaroo On Command powerups. I guess you need a little help to get out of the canals. The lower parts of the sides are the worst. If you back into it with the Eagle, it is guaranteed to get hopelessly stuck from its rear. I really hope Reincarnation will have some sort of "light nudge" button, so that you don't have to spend credits every time you get stuck on a tiny piece of map geometry.

Mission 2: Traffic Jam

Attempt: 5

Fastest time completed: 3:29

Most peds wasted: 9

This mission... This goddamn mission... After four attempts of getting stuck, weapons doing no damage and running out of time, I was pissed. Seriously, 2% health left on an opponent, and a Slaughter Mortars and hard hits do NOTHING?! Bullshit! It was time to whip out the big guns. I filled my remaining offense slots, ditched the Eagle and chose the Steam Machine.


Seriously, look at the stats on this thing! There's no way this monster is allowed in network play. A few head-on collisions did short work of the bastards. Screw your mines and mortars!

This mission gets my:


I have a feeling that I will use this seal in the future.

Race 3: Slumbody Got Killed

Attempt: 1

Fastest lap: 0:00

Fastest time completed: 5:56

Fastest opponent waste: 0:34

Fastest waste all opponents: 5:56

Most peds wasted: 20

I was quite impressed by the Steam Machine's sheer destructive power, so I decided to try it in a race. Holy Geezuz is it hard to control! It is so fast and turns so fast! Plus, it's probably two cars wide. All these features got me stuck in weird positions more than once. It was still really good at wasting opponents. So good that I didn't even get to finish a single lap before everyone was dead.

Mission 3: The Jump

Attempt: 2

Fastest time completed: 3:15

Most peds wasted: 3

This one was a bit tricky at first. If you have to recover after hitting the turbine propellers, you are recovered on the wrong side. If they didn't start spinning fast enough on the first hit, you have to get past them to hit them again, which is no easy task. Most of the time you just end up stopping them again, or making them spin in the other direction. The overzelaous cops aren't helping the matter.

I wanted to see if the skyscraper elevators were functional outside of this mission, so I set out to find them in free ride. Sure enough, they did work. Then I wanted to see what would happen if I jumped over the wall in free ride. Instead of advancing to Docks, Max was sent plummeting into a black abyss. Good luck, shithead!

And thus, Part 2 comes to an end. Join me next time as I tackle Part 3: Docks!
User avatar
Nerd Koopa
mechanic
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:08 pm

The TDR Diary

Post by Nerd Koopa »

Part 3: Docks




Urgh... I don't like this level. It feels so dull and its features are unremarkable. The warehouse district is just that. A bunch of rotting warehouses. The chemical factory is just a few big tubs of dark liquid shit. The foundry is just two buildings and the remains of a conveyor belt. The overall colors of this level are just unpleasant and dull compared to the last two levels. I know the setting is post-apocalyptic, but come on. Were they trying to go for something moody and gloomy? I can see how that could work, but apparently they didn't pull it off well. This is no Rusty Bucket Bay.

I didn't think much of the train that goes around the level, until I picked up some mines. Then an evil thought came to my mind. I placed five mines on the tracks, picked a good viewing spot and waited. I watched with a grin on my face as the train came closer and closer, finally reaching the mines AND THEN....

The train just passed over them, not triggering a single one. What a massive letdown.

Race 1: Go Slow

Attempt: 1

Fastest lap: 2:44

Fastest time completed: 16:01

Fastest opponent waste: 4:27

Fastest waste all opponents: 16:01

Most peds wasted: 76

I wanted to try more Nosebleed Pack cars in the races, so for this one I chose Sports Sedan. Sweet GEEZUZ the controls suck ass on this one! Way too twitchy and fast. It feels like it wants to make 90 degree turns every time I press the arrow keys. It wasn't a very stable car either. It shouldn't be called a sedan, since it only has two doors and not four.


I finally noticed that the opponents in TDR aren't nearly as agressive as in the other games. They are much more concerned with the checkpoints than the player. This makes reaching them a bit more difficult, because they never seem to come after you. You don't seem to be able to provoke them into chasing you, no matter how hard you hit them. Might be because I'm playing on the Sunday Driver difficulty. Still, a tiny bit more AI agression would be nice.

Mission 1: Juice Up

Attempt: 3

Fastest time completed: 4:56

Most peds wasted: 10

The first restart was because I spent too much time trying to get on the conveyor belt with the first bomb part. The only reasons why I knew how to get to it in the first place, was because I've seen a video of this mission, and because I tried it in free ride first. Usually for tricky spots like this, the devs included red floating guide arrows, but not for this part. It really could have benefitted from them. The arrows do appear for the third bomb part in the warehouse district.

The second restart was because of those two damn gang cars that chase you. They constatly kept blocking my path to a crucial ramp! That section was tricky enough even without those two assholes. Even getting to the ramp without getting disoriented was difficult. Damn chemical factory with its rows of identical containers...

Race 2: In A World Of Ship

Attempt: 1

Fastest lap: 3:33

Fastest time completed: 13:42

Fastest opponent waste: 1:27

Fastest waste all opponents: 13:42

Most peds wasted: 31

For this race I tried to use Jaws. Creative design, but shitty to drive. Its control problems are the exact opposite of the Sports Sedan; turning is very delayed. I know it's supposed to be a big and heavy vehicle, but input delay is a poor way of conveying mass. In previous games big vehicles like the Plow and Abba Cab turn slowly, but they start to turn immediately when you push buttons. Jaws waits for about half a second before steering reacts to input. It can really throw you off. On top of that, this thing is very VERY unstable.


Mission 2: Clear The Decks

Attempt: 1

Fastest time completed: 4:21

Most peds wasted: 28

Another "collect bomb parts, deploy and flee" mission. Pretty much a copy-paste of Slum Like It Hot. It's annoying how most of the missions in this game start with your car pointing at the opposite direction from the first objective. Precious seconds are wasted by having to turn the car around.

Race 3: Sink Or Swim

Attempt: 1

Fastest lap: 3:17

Fastest time completed: 9:03

Fastest opponent waste: 1:00

Fastest waste all opponents: 9:03

Most peds wasted: 26

For this race I used the Buggy. Like the Sports Sedan, but -1 to twitchiness and +1 to instability. I've tried four Nosebleed cars so far, and none of them have good controls for racing. Not sure if I'll try any more of them. Only time will tell.


Wasting pedestrians is getting really annoying, because the game seems to register only about one kill out of five. I splattered that guy on a wall! I demand my credits, damn it!

Mission 3: Got a new motor

Attempt: 1

Fastest time completed: 3:51

Most peds wasted: 5

Collect three, use and flee. Nothing special by this point. I'm just glad that this level is over. It wasn't really that enjoyable.

ON THE NEXT EPISODE OF TDR ZEEEE... NERD KOOPA TACKLES PART 4: HIGH RISE! WILL THE TRIUMPH, OR GET DEFEATED BY POOR DESIGN DECISIONS? FIND OUT ON THE NEXT EPISODE OF TDR ZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!
User avatar
Nerd Koopa
mechanic
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:08 pm

The TDR Diary

Post by Nerd Koopa »

Part 4: HiRise




This place is pretty much like the Slums, but with bigger buildings and a night sky. Most of the things that I said about that level apply here as well. Hell, some areas feel like direct copy-pastes from the Slums! The giant statue is a nice addition, but it gives me a "Lenin in mechanic's overalls" vibe.

I'm still amused by the sheer amount of phone booths and CRT monitors in HiRise and Slums. Apparently the world ended somewhere in the 90's.

Race 1: Early Morning Riser

Attempt: 1

Fastest lap: 2:25

Fastest time completed: 12:36

Fastest opponent waste: 2:13

Fastest waste all opponents: 0:00

Most peds wasted: 16

At this point the rise in difficulty made me change my play style. You are given so little time that you NEED to prioritize checkpoints over opponent wasting to survive the races! Given the nerfed time bonuses and cowardly opponent behaviour, catching and wasting an opponent in under a minute with the Eagle is just not feasible, even if you upgrade it. Unlike in the previous games, checkpoints can give up to 25 extra seconds, but only if you go through them fast enough. Maybe this is why all the other time bonuses were decreased so much. I don't like this system, because it pretty much FORCES you to race! Forcing the player to do something is NOT part of the Carmageddon philosophy!

Mission 1: Launch the Statue

Attempt: 2

Fastest time completed: 3:28

Most peds wasted: 5

Collect three, use and see. This required a restart because of general bad driving, disorientation, and mistaking the second fuel canister for being a part of the furniture of the room it was in.

Seeing a giant statue get launched into the sky is pretty much as wacky as the whole ordeal with the animatronic gorilla. Bye bye Overalls Lenin! Couldn't help but take a screenshot.


If this thing doesn't turn up in a later level having landed on something, I will be so disappointed.

Race 2: Tequila HiRise

Attempt: 3

Fastest lap: 2:23

Fastest time completed: 11:33

Fastest opponent waste: 0:27

Fastest waste all opponents: 0:00

Most peds wasted: 10

This one required three attempts because of absolutely rotten luck. Or to me more precise, completely random deaths! The first time I was pinned to a building by Vlad and a cop car. I had full health and the two stopped pushing, so I hit reverse to get out... BOOM! INSTANT DEATH! I have no idea what killed me there, so plenty of swears were deployed. The second time I tried my luck with wasting a weakened opponent. There was a traffic light pole in the way, but it was THIS close to falling over from all the collisions. So, having full health, I decided to give it a nudge... BOOM! INSTANT DEATH! Again, swears were had. All those armor upgrades seem to be doing jack shit.

Mission 2: The Rich Switch

Attempt: 1

Fastest time completed: 4:34

Most peds wasted: 5

Collect three, drop and flee. Almost had to restart this one because of disorientation, bad driving and rotten luck. The cops and the rising bridges forced me to recover so many times that I don't think I made a single credit of profit from this mission.

Race 3: HiRise 'n Fall

Attempt: 2

Fastest lap: 2:09

Fastest time completed: 19:50

Fastest opponent waste: 0:00

Fastest waste all opponents: 0:00

Most peds wasted: 11

FUCK. THIS. RACE. Who the hell places so many powerdowns in so prominent and difficult track sections?! Every single item on this route is harmful! YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO PLACE A LUNAR GRAVITY AFTER A TURBO WHEN THERE'S A 90 DEGREE TURN AND A PIT AHEAD, WITH LESS THAN A MINUTE TO GET TO THE CHECKPOINT! AND YOU DO NOT PLACE THOSE TWO IN A NARROW ALLEY WHERE AVOIDING THEM IS A MATTER OF PURE LUCK! This track is so bad that they might as well have put mines in place of every single item. Actally, THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER.

This race gets my... Hold on... *Opens Paint.net*

There. My:


What? I got lazy.

Mission 3: Blow the Joint

Attempt: 2

Fastest time completed: 6:27

Most peds wasted: 13

Collect three, deploy and flee. Is there a pattern to these? Nah... Must be my imagination. Again, restart required because of disorientation, bad driving and rotten luck. The floating guide arrows really should render from a further distance. They never appear until you are right next to them. This was especially problematic in this mission. I hope this is the last mission where you have to wait for some stupid elevators. The one in Slums was enough. Seriously, how hard would it be to have the elevators stay in the bottom position until you drive on them?

Well look at that! Part 4 seems to have ended. Prepare your browser for Part 5: Military Zone!
User avatar
Nerd Koopa
mechanic
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:08 pm

The TDR Diary

Post by Nerd Koopa »

Part 5: Military Zone




Another level that I don't like that much. It is small, and its curvy roads and bumpy terrain covered with trees and mines make it really hard to get to a good wasting speed. Plus, it just doesn't look that interesting. Its only standout features are the battle arena, the dam and the WWII fighter planes flying around.

Race 1: Full Metal Gasket

Attempt: 2

Fastest lap: 2:14

Fastest time completed: 10:52

Fastest opponent waste: 3:02

Fastest waste all opponents: 0:00

Most peds wasted: 18

This one gave a little more time than the races in HiRise, so I tried my luck in wasting opponents. Big mistake. At this point even the upgraded Eagle is really bad at causing any sort of damage. The tough terrain didn't help either. The gravel roads made the Eagle about as unstable as a three-wheeled shopping cart filled with scrap metal. I quickly ran out of time trying to cause even some damage to the oppoents. On the second attempt I went "fuck it, this is a racing game now" and focused on the checkpoints again. I did manage to get one lucky waste, but that was it.

Mission 1: Let's go to work

Attempt: 1

Fastest time completed: 4:11

Most peds wasted: 25

I knew beforehand that this was an opponent wasting mission, so I chose Steam Machine again. The two guard vehicles were flattened in a few moments, but the main target was a slippery bastard. I guess you'd be running like a coward too if there was four tons of brass and steel chasing you.

Wait... Is the weight stat for it in kilograms or pounds? The speed and acceleration stats use mph for all vehicles, but for some, like Bigdaddy and The Pigs, the weight is displayed in kilograms. Damn it Torus Games, you should have used either imperial units, or the metric system. Not both!

Race 2: Fire Control

Attempt: 1

Fastest lap: 2:15

Fastest time completed: 10:39

Fastest opponent waste: 8:24

Fastest waste all opponents: 0:00

Most peds wasted: 16

Like with Full Metal Gasket, I ignored the opponents and went for the checkpoints. I only got one accidental waste when I nudged The Machine and it crashed into a checkpoint pole. Other than that, it was a rather uneventful race.

Mission 2: Duel in the Arena

Attempt: 2

Fastest time completed: 2:01

Most peds wasted: 8

Duel time means Steam Machine time. One head-on collision with the target was enough. Interestingly this is the first mission where you get to choose how to end it. Do you wreck three more opponents, or flee the scene? I chose flee, because it's faster. This took two attempts because at first I didn't figure out how to get out of the arena. The textures combined with the weird architecture make it a bit disorienting to navigate. Actually, it reminds me of something. You know the movie Demon Seed from 1977? Take a look at this robotic monstrosity:


The interior of the arena reminds me of that thing, but in building form.

Race 3: Fire When Ready

Attempt: 1

Fastest lap: 4:29

Fastest time completed: 5:44

Fastest opponent waste: 0:50

Fastest waste all opponents: 5:44

Most peds wasted: 23

I got sick of checkpoints. I was done racing fair. I wanted to Steam Machine the SHIT out of this race! Eagle Mk 4 can go rust in a damp garage for all I care! The Steam Machine might have twitchy controls, but it's so much stronger, heavier and faster. It gets shit done! And sure enough, I decimated the opposition. It felt good to win a race this way again. I'm seriously considering making Steam Machine my main vehicle.

Mission 3: Tanks A Lot

Attempt: 1

Fastest time completed: 4:08

Most peds wasted: 26

Now this is a special one. You get to drive a tank! From what I remember, this is the only mission in the whole game where you get to drive a special vehicle. It's also probably the only vehicle in Carmageddon history that has a working ranged weapon built in. (Electric Blue doesn't count because lightning isn't a projectile)

I found it odd that while the mission name is "Tanks A Lot" in the menus, the briefing calls it "Tanks for the Memory". Probably a beta name that was never changed.

Part 5 has been blasted to pieces. Aim your sights at Part 6: Back Of Beyond!
User avatar
Nerd Koopa
mechanic
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:08 pm

The TDR Diary

Post by Nerd Koopa »

Part 6: Back Of Beyond




Ok, I have NO idea how we got from a military zone to the freaking Australian outback, but hell, I'll take it.

I like this level. It's big, it has a striking brownish red color scheme and several of its locations are homages to the Mad Max movies. It has some of the same terrain issues that Military Zone had, namely littered with obstacles and bumps. There's not a single patch of asphalt road, which is a shame because most of the vehicles in this game treat dirt like it's ice. The giant cave creates a nice contrast to the outside areas with its greenish blue lighting. The houses and bridges built around the stone columns remind me of the Ewok village from Star Wars.


Some of the mineshafts are blocked by giant dead mutant rats. No, I'm not shitting you! Here's a screenshot!


I've pretty much made Steam Machine my default vehicle by this point. It is a bit too fast and big for its own good, but it suits my playing style. That style being "wreck every single one of those bastards as quickly as possible".

Race 1: Road Kill

Attempt: 2

Fastest lap: 3:50

Fastest time completed: 5:25

Fastest opponent waste: 1:20

Fastest waste all opponents: 5:25

Most peds wasted: 15

Required a restart because of bad driving, disorientation and slippery opponents that resulted in a time out. The terrain didn't help either. Still, Steam Machine dominated.

Mission 1: Summer Nuke Fest

Attempt: more than 10, but the game counted only 6 because I ragequit without saving at one point

Fastest time completed: 4:28

Most peds wasted: 8

Oh good god... This... This is... THE SINGLE WORST MISSION I'VE EVER PLAYED IN ANY GAME EVER. THERE ARE NO WORDS TO DESCRIBE THE UNHOLY PILE OF CODE AND MISERY THAT IS THIS MISSION. This is Sonic '06 level of bad. No, it's SUPERMAN 64 level of bad. Think about that for a moment. It makes Carmageddon 2's missions look casual in comparison!

To fully convey how absolutely batshit broken this mission is, I need to go into greater detail than with previous outings. Your job is to waste a truck that's carrying a nuke. After that you have to attach the nuke to the rear of your car, and drag it to the Thunder Sphere. The truck and bomb are being defended by several smaller vehicles. The truck is following a predetermined path. You are given four minutes to waste the truck, and two and a half minutes to bring the bomb to the Sphere. Now, let me count the ways this mission manages to shit the bed in every stage.

#1: Wasting the truck.

Because you get so little time to deliver the nuke, you want to waste the truck as close to the Sphere as possible. The truck does go by it on its path, but here's the problem: THE DAMN THING KEEPS TELEPORTING AND GOING THE WRONG WAY EVERY TIME IT MAKES A DRIVING ERROR. And oh boy does it make a LOT of driving errors! I crashes, it flips, it falls down the canyon. Getting to waste it near the Sphere is down to pure dumb luck. One time when it crashed on its own, it crooked its chassis and got stuck in an endless loop of teleporting and driving in circles. Good luck trying to get that shit in a good position!

#2: Retrieving the nuke.

If you manage to waste the truck, actually getting the nuke is another headache. You have to touch it with the rear of your vehicle to get it to attach with a rope. If the truck falls into the canyon, you are not gonna get the nuke out of there. It's stuck there forever. Sometimes the nuke gets stuck in the truck's wreckage. Even worse when it lands on the wreck's oil puddle. You can back into it, but you can never get out. Your car is stuck forever. Sometimes the guard vehicles and their wrecks pile up on the nuke. You will NOT get it out of there. It's stuck FOREVER. Sometimes the guard vehicles hit the nuke and send it flying in a random direction. Since it doesn't show up on map, it's gone. FOREVER.

#3: Dragging the nuke

This is the absolute worst part. If your vehicle is too fast, THE NUKE WON'T STAY ATTACHED. Even slightly too fast acceleration will break the rope and send the nuke flying. Hell, even slight bumps will detach it! Take a wild guess how many bumps there are on this level. I originally played this level with Steam Machine to waste the truck fast, but it was impossible to drag the bomb with it. I had to upgrade the shit out of the Eagle to be able to chase and damage the truck. Even then wasting it was just a lucky accident. Even if you have a vehicle that's strong and fast enough to take on the truck, but slow enough to drag the nuke, THE DAMN BOMB MAKES DRIVING NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE. The mass of the nuke combined with the shortness of the tow rope makes the rear end of your vehicle constantly flail around as the nuke keeps hitting you and taking off from bumps. In short, driving in a straight line becomes impossible. Not good when you have only two minutes to deliver it across a freaking desert.

Considering all those problems, I'm pretty damn sure that not a single person playtested this mission. Seriously, this is game design 101 stuff.

This mission gets my


Race 2: Grit Your Teeth

Attempt: 1

Fastest lap: 0:00

Fastest time completed: 3:34

Fastest opponent waste: 0:22

Fastest waste all opponents: 3:34

Most peds wasted: 3

After that nuke fiasco, I was getting pretty damn sick of this game. Steam Machine'd everyone to scrap, as usual.

Mission 2: Red Mist

Attempt: 2

Fastest time completed: 4:54

Most peds wasted: 37

This one needed a restart because I hit a Pedestrians Show On Map powerup. It's hard to find your mission target pedestrians when even non-target pedestrians show up on map too.

The game constantly refers to the mutant peds as Muties, which sounds really slanderous. That combined with the "kill 20 muties to send a message" mission made me feel like I just committed a hate crime. That probably wasn't the developers' intent, but it's still kinda unsettling.

Race 3: Nuke Who's Talking

Attempt: 1

Fastest lap: 0:00

Fastest time completed: 4:18

Fastest opponent waste: 0:07

Fastest waste all opponents: 4:18

Most peds wasted: 10

You know the drill by now. Steam Machine arrives, shit gets well and truly wrecked.

Mission 3: No Nukes Is Good Nukes

Attempt: 1

Fastest time completed: 6:40

Most peds wasted: 24

Collect three, drop and flee. *sigh* The further I get in this game, the less I seem to like it. I'm not even nearly as excited to play it now as I was in the beginning. All the little and big problems are really starting to pile up and create a mental baggage. Thank god there's not much left. This is getting a bit depressing.

Part 6 is done. In Part 7 I will be taking on two locations: Necropolis and The Bridge.
User avatar
Nerd Koopa
mechanic
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:08 pm

The TDR Diary

Post by Nerd Koopa »

Part 7A: Necropolis




Now this is interesting. A ruined city in a giant hole! How did it get to this state? Was it nuked that badly? Is this just a very large sinkhole? Was the nuke detonated underneath it? The ruined docks, piers, cargo ship and cruise ship suggest that this was a coastal city. If it has sunk so deep, how come the surrounding ocean hasn't flooded it? Is the ocean gone too? It just raises so many questions.

Way back when I first saw pictures of this level, I thought it was subterranean. I still get that feeling because the sky is so dark. Navigating this place can get really confusing because everything is located on so many different altitudes, and the connecting routes aren't always that obvious.

Race 1: Blood, Sweat and Gears

Attempt: 1

Fastest lap: 4:18

Fastest time completed: 4:49

Fastest opponent waste: 0:16

Fastest waste all opponents: 4:49

Most peds wasted: 6

The offroad sections are so tricky that this feels less like Total Destruction Race 2000 and more like Post-Apocalyptic Rock Climbing 2000. Luckily the Steam Machine has ground clearance to spare.

Mission 1: Population Control

Attempt: I'd guess about 8, but the game only counted the last 4 because of a sudden power failiure.

Fastest time completed: 4:40

Most peds wasted: 27

I knew beforehand that one section of this mission was too narrow for the Steam Machine, so at first I tried the Eagle. This mission really highlights the problem with the tougher peds, and the uselessness of the Eagle Mk 4 as a ped splatter. Those bastards just keep getting up and stepping out of the way at the very last second! It's especially annoying when you knock one of your target peds down to a difficult to access area, and they survive the fall. The ones armed with lead pipes just baffle me. Two swings are enough to destroy the Eagle completely! Either the peds got super powers from all that nuclear fallout, or the armour upgrades are absolute bullshit. Eventually I settled for the Ped Basher, and even then I barely made it. Almost wrecked it in that narrow section because ped killing missions disable repairing.


Race 2: City Of Mangles

Attempt: 1

Fastest lap: 3:45

Fastest time completed: 5:46

Fastest opponent waste: 0:18

Fastest waste all opponents: 5:46

Most peds wasted: 9

The theme of tricky offroad sections continues. So does the theme of Steam Machine wrecking shit.

Mission 2: Look out below

Attempt: 3

Fastest time completed: 3:47

Most peds wasted: 33

HOLY SHIT THAT'S A LOT OF EXPLOSIONS. I can see this display of massive carpet bombing bringing quite a few PC's to their knees back in 2000. Hooray for 16 Gb of RAM! The bombing in question makes this mission super disorienting. It's hard to get your bearings when the screen is constantly shaking and flashing. Steam Machine was good for this one because it can shrug off most of the explosions with its sheer mass. However, its size made getting some of the bomb parts really difficult. There are more bomb parts than you actually need to collect, but the game doesn't tell you how many you have to get. It would be helpful to know, so that I could plan my route accordingly and not just speed around hoping for the best.

Race 3: Driven Into The Ground

Attempt: 1

Fastest lap: 0:00

Fastest time completed: 6:29

Fastest opponent waste: 0:08

Fastest waste all opponents: 6:29

Most peds wasted: 7

Take a wild guess. Go on. I'll give you a hint: It involves four tons of brass ruining everyone's day.

Mission 3: Big Brother

Attempt: 2

Fastest time completed: 7:23

Most peds wasted: 7

Oh goodie... We're destroying satellite dishes on rooftops again. What's that? There's only three? Only a few jumps? Well I'll be damned! Still, restart required because of getting lost initially. Even on the successful attempt the recovery button was used way too frequently.

Part 7B: The Bridge




This level really reminds me of the bridge from Left 4 Dead 2. I guess if you've seen one ruined bridge blocked with cars, you've seen them all.


Mission 1: The Great Divide

Attempt: 3

Fastest time completed: 4:17

Most peds wasted: 0

At first I tried this with Steam Machine, because I figured it could easily push away all the junk and stand the mines. However, there was this one section where it was too wide, so I had to go for the Eagle. The second attempt failed because I didn't get enough speed for the final jump. I didn't even know that you could fail the last cutscene jump, so imagine my surprise when the car landed short of the wall and exploded. Also, FUCK that section where you have to use that tiny narrow pipe as a ramp. You can't land that shit smoothly!

So close to the ending! Let's see what Part 8: Police State has in store. I hope it's not a series of rapid fire bullshit like Summer Nuke Fest. I really can't deal with that crap this close to beating this game.
User avatar
Nerd Koopa
mechanic
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:08 pm

The TDR Diary

Post by Nerd Koopa »

Part 8: Police State




This is it! The final level!

Now this is a pretty level. It feels very grand. Probably one of the biggest maps in the entire game. The three gigantic towers connected by hard light bridges are an awesome sight. The use of color is nice too. Light shades of green and blue on the surface, dark shades of blue in the underground tunnels, and red and black in the central underground area. It's fascinating how this place manages to feel busy and empty at the same time. The interesting acrhitecture, moving machines, tech-filled underground areas and lined up SWAT members create a feeling of life, but the large grass fields, clean, quickly tiling textures and the scarcity of small decorations give it a feeling of emptiness and sterility. I believe it's intended, given the context of "utopia without freedom". It's funny how effective a very stylized eagle symbol is at being a shorthand for "these guys might be fascists".

Race 1: Rock And A Hard Place

Attempt: 1

Fastest lap: 3:16

Fastest time completed: 4:24

Fastest opponent waste: 0:07

Fastest waste all opponents: 4:24

Most peds wasted: 45

The holographic checkpoints in this level are sweet, because you can't crash into them. When you take a look at the Reincarnation sneak peek footage, ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqwfGqwJlGo ) you can see at 0:23 that the checkpoints in that build are holograms too. I hope they keep it in the final version, so that your vehicle size doesn't limit your racing choices. However, the racing barriers can stay solid. I like to ram opponents into them.

Mission 1: Checkout day

Attempt: 1

Fastest time completed: 6:30

Most peds wasted: 2

Had to use the Eagle again, because Steam Machine isn't small enough for this level of rooftop acrobatics. Another elevator wait? Come on, I though we were done with those. This is even worse because there are not many visual clues that there's even supposed to be an elevator here in the first place! The only reason why I knew to wait for an elevator at the last spot, was because I've seen videos of the game's missions.

Race 2: Banged in the cells

Attempt: 1

Fastest lap: 4:34

Fastest time completed: 6:58

Fastest opponent waste: 0:36

Fastest waste all opponents: 6:58

Most peds wasted: 7

Nothing unusual to report here. Just my brass steed bringing the pain.

Mission 2: Destroy The Behemoth

Attempt: 1

Fastest time completed: 5:27

Most peds wasted: 8

I dreaded this mission, because I was under the impression that it would be one of the most difficult missions in the entire game. Got it right on the first try. Huh. I guess I got lucky, or it really isn't that hard on Sunday Driver. Had to use the Eagle for this one, because Steam Machine is too wide to navigate the tops of the tanks.

Race 3: Cop a Load Of This

Attempt: 1

Fastest lap: 0:00

Fastest time completed: 6:26

Fastest opponent waste: 0:29

Fastest waste all opponents: 6:26

Most peds wasted: 8

Oh my, Supressors! I'm glad to see that it hasn't changed too much from its Carma 1 appearance, even if it has been demoted to a tougher cop car status.

This race started with 4:10 on the timer, but the game never gives you more than 3:59 if you try to fill the timer with various time bonuses. No, it doesn't stop displaying additional time beyond a cerain point like Carma 1 and 2, it literally refuses to give you more than 3:59. That's bullshit.

Mission 3: Armageddon!

Attempt: 3

Fastest time completed: 5:10

Most peds wasted: 2

Holy shit! The very last mission! At first I tried it with the Eagle because of the section where you have to get on the rooftop. What's absolute bullshit about this mission, is that the police chief's Supressor doesn't differ at all from the cop cars on your map. There are so many cops in this mission that if you don't have him locked in your sights and you lose him, you are not gonna find him again! He could be any one of the dozens of blue arrows on your map. That's what caused the first restart for me.

The second restart was because when I finally got to him, even the further upgraded Eagle wasn't enough to harm the Supressor. So, it was time for the Steam Machine to shine one last time. Getting it to that rooftop to disable the helicopters was tricky, but eventually I did it.

Finally, after a long game of "ram and recover" with the Supressor, it was wrecked with only about ten seconds left in the clock.

I had done it! I FINALLY BEAT CARMADEGGON: TOTAL DESTRUCTION RACING 2000!

Oh boy! I could finally see the ending outside of Youtube!

The mission rewards screen faded away, but for some reason the music kept on playing.

Instead of the final FMV, I was greeted by a garbled mess of pixels with the music and video audio playing at the same time.

...what?

WHAT?!

SON OF A BITCH!

ALL THAT TROUBLE, JUST TO HAVE THE ENDING GLITCH OUT ON ME?!

FUCK! Just.... Fuck.

I quickly skipped the glitchy cutscene, and proceeded to stare at the ending credits with mixed feelings. It was a strange feeling of victory and crushing defeat at the same time. At least the staff nicknames got a smile out of me. I browsed through my newly unlocked roster of cars, and tried two of them. Bumble Bee and Witch Doctor. As I watched the opponets struggling to move with their glitchy, wobbly wheels, I was overcome with a sense of emptiness and hollowness. Was it all worth it? Doesn't feel like it...

Feeling unsatisfied and disappointed, I shut off the game and proceeded to open the Carmageddon forums.

Final Thoughts

At the end of the day, Carmageddon TDR 2000 is a medicore racing game that fails to live up to its predecessors. All the tiny changes to gameplay stack up to something that does not feel like Carmageddon. For what it is, it's a passable racing game. Just don't go in expecting anything nearly as spectacular or satisfying as Carmageddon 1 or 2. I'm still glad that I played it. If nothing else, it made me appreciate the previous games so much more.

To be honest, half of the game's problems can be fixed with one simple change:


There. Much better.

The End. Thanks for reading!

User avatar
Nerd Koopa
mechanic
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:08 pm

The TDR Diary

Post by Nerd Koopa »

Well then... I just discovered that ImageShack shit the bed, so I had to rehost and relink every singe picture on this thing. Not fun, but at least it's fixed now.
User avatar
Espyo
road raged psycho
Posts: 1287
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:43 am

The TDR Diary

Post by Espyo »

Indeed, I'd like to know what the hell went through their minds. Let's make our already "meh" image service paid! That'll surely make us the best one, specially when there are better, free ones!